Disney's menu change is good for the goose, not the gourmet

Maybe Donald Duck squawked about the dish. In a move that thrilled animal-rights activists but disappointed some gourmet diners, Walt Disney World has quietly dropped a controversial delicacy from its menus. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Sep 08

Havre De Grace, MD

#44 Oct 11, 2008
Gross!! Who would even order that!!
OMG

AOL

#47 Oct 12, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you even read what I wrote? They need to be responsible with the background checks (re - pedophiles and thieves) and start paying the good people they have more than $9.00 an hour. Perhaps CUTTING the salaries of the executives by 25% would help alleviate a lot around here. You can't pay $8.00 an hour, expect top of the line employees and expect people to afford the surrounding housing at $1,400.00 a month for a two bedroom apt.
Geeeeeez...I'm not Cindy Anthony....:-p
And what does the state of Disney employees have to do with Foie Gras?? Inquiring minds wnat to know.

Since: May 08

Hogtown

#49 Oct 12, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you even read what I wrote? They need to be responsible with the background checks (re - pedophiles and thieves) and start paying the good people they have more than $9.00 an hour. Perhaps CUTTING the salaries of the executives by 25% would help alleviate a lot around here. You can't pay $8.00 an hour, expect top of the line employees and expect people to afford the surrounding housing at $1,400.00 a month for a two bedroom apt.
Geeeeeez...I'm not Cindy Anthony....:-p
I a real capitalist society those $8 or $9 employees could raise geese, force feed em corn and sell fois gras to Disney to augment their incomes. Illegal aliens are the only ones in America with the initiative to do things like that anymore.

As far as Disney having fois gras and veal on their menu, I find it amazing those items made it this long. After all, that anthropomorphistic peice of cinematic garbage "Bambi" along with the PC changes, dumbing down of our schools that our society went through in the 60s and 70s had/has a whole bunch of idiots believing animals can talk and feel just like humans.
the truth

Rochester, NY

#50 Oct 12, 2008
Hempfield Humprey wrote:
I brought my family to Disney last year, never again. The service was terrible, no one spoke english or cared. At the Majic Kingdong we ordered what looked like a great sandwich, pulled pork, awesome, until this negro cast member (unusually huge lips), slobbered into the meat container. He got terminated on the spot, however, my wife no longer pulls the pork.
you are a racist jerk.
Jeff

Miami, FL

#51 Oct 13, 2008
America First wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. There are millions of people out of work; Disney should replace lazy employees with new employees that will do more for less money. Maybe if Disney cracks down and stops over-paying its labor, than it can increase the salaries of executives and upper management.
The whole point of unions was to protect good workers and defend all workers against charges of violating the contract provisions or company policy. I was never treated badly whenever I visited Walt Disney World and think those who believe fat-cat management should benefit on the backs of the workers are short-sighted at best and ill-informed at worst.(Must listen to Rush Limbaugh.)
Darwin

Dayton, NJ

#52 Oct 13, 2008
Cast Member wrote:
<quoted text>
Nowhere to be found. The last contract was the biggest joke I ever saw. Our great union leader said he told the company (paraphrasing), "Let's not have all this going back and forth on wage increases.....just tell us what your best offer is." The company came back with a ridiculously low offer and guess what our union "leader" said? "Well....that's the best they can do- vote YES on the contract!!!" The workers initially rejected it despite our union leaders wishes- but when the union leader is no longer fighting for you there isn't much hope. It passed when it came up for a vote the second time around.
That union leader is now living comfortably in retirement- while all the cast members he shamefully "represented" are struggling to pay housing costs, fuel costs, etc. on the pathetic wage increase he agreed to.
Unions are the bane of the free market. Unions protect lazy, unqualified workers and froen on individual success. Tell you what- Quit the union, work your butt off, get recognized for your effort, get promoted, and succeed on your own. Or, you can stay in the union, demand more than your job is worth, do just enough to not get fired, and keep believing that 'collective bargaining' will ensure your success.
jables

Oviedo, FL

#53 Oct 13, 2008
KatrinaB wrote:
Thank you Disney for doing the right thing....you're moving in the right direction by doing this
Why is this the right direction? Why is killing a goose and eating it any different than killing a cow? I'm probably as liberal as they come, but it ticks me off to no end when animal rights activists have no idea what they are taking about and make demands based on what they think an animal must feel like, and not based on actual fact.
jables

Oviedo, FL

#54 Oct 13, 2008
Good job Disney wrote:
Thank you Disney for making that choice, more restaurants will take this off the menu as well. If I had to see that on a menu in a restaurant i would probably get up and leave right after i explained to the manager and server how these animals are abused and foie gras is in humane make no mistake about it as is Veal and many other meats people eat.
You do know that geese have no gag reflex right? The mistake that animal rights activist make is assuming that all animals have similar reactions and feelings as humans. If you shoved a tube down my throat I'd probably be pretty hurt, fortunatelly geese are made completely differently. In fact, in order to get quality foi gras you need to have happy, plump geese. They are treated far better than if they were in the wild. Please learn some facts before telling me what I'm allowed to eat.

Hogtown

#55 Oct 13, 2008
jables wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that geese have no gag reflex right? The mistake that animal rights activist make is assuming that all animals have similar reactions and feelings as humans. If you shoved a tube down my throat I'd probably be pretty hurt, fortunatelly geese are made completely differently. In fact, in order to get quality foi gras you need to have happy, plump geese. They are treated far better than if they were in the wild. Please learn some facts before telling me what I'm allowed to eat.
I am reminded of a Ted Nugent quote,, when asked by a British reporter, a couple of years ago, if Ted thought about what went through a deer's mind when he shot it "do you think he asks himself "is this the man who killed my father""?
I will paraphrase his reply.

Deer don't think or feel like humans, their brains are pretty much limited to deciding "how am I going to get something to eat, how am I going to get laid, and how can I make sure I can run away really really fast" in this respect they are much like the French.

Havre De Grace, MD

#56 Oct 13, 2008
Hempfield Humprey wrote:
I brought my family to Disney last year, never again. The service was terrible, no one spoke english or cared. At the Majic Kingdong we ordered what looked like a great sandwich, pulled pork, awesome, until this negro cast member (unusually huge lips), slobbered into the meat container. He got terminated on the spot, however, my wife no longer pulls the pork.
I hope you and your family never eat out. You'd be surprised what goes on behind the scene in the kitchen. EW!
Dont eat it

Palm Bay, FL

#57 Oct 13, 2008
Please dont eat that. don't eat anything that is not raised properly, If it isnt natural husbandry dont eat it. simple!! and that same goes for Kobe Beef, Veal, Foie Gras, and dont support business who serve these kinds of in-humane products and bad husbandry practises

Hogtown

#58 Oct 13, 2008
Dont eat it wrote:
Please dont eat that. don't eat anything that is not raised properly, If it isnt natural husbandry dont eat it. simple!! and that same goes for Kobe Beef, Veal, Foie Gras, and dont support business who serve these kinds of in-humane products and bad husbandry practises
Are you insane???? Kobe raised beef is an inhumane practice???

The young cows are fed beer and massaged daily,,, trust me having led that life for a time it is about as good as it gets for a mammal.

I also don't think you have a clear definition of "animal husbandry".
Matty Matt

Kissimmee, FL

#59 Oct 13, 2008
Learn From the Past wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you insane???? Kobe raised beef is an inhumane practice???
The young cows are fed beer and massaged daily,,, trust me having led that life for a time it is about as good as it gets for a mammal.
I also don't think you have a clear definition of "animal husbandry".
Are you kidding?? My ambition in life is to be fed beer and massaged daily.

Hogtown

#60 Oct 14, 2008
Matty Matt wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding?? My ambition in life is to be fed beer and massaged daily.
It'll make you tender and tasty.

Tofu however seems to kill brain cells at an alarming rate.
Milton

United States

#61 Oct 19, 2008
Name 10 people that would eat this dish.
In my opinion, its economically motivated.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#62 Oct 19, 2008
Milton wrote:
Name 10 people that would eat this dish.
In my opinion, its economically motivated.
Me, for one. I can rarely afford foie gras, but I'm quite fond of it.
PETA, on the other hand, have earned my undying hatred, purely for their inability to distinguish between species.
An inability fostered by Disney.

Hogtown

#63 Oct 19, 2008
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Me, for one. I can rarely afford foie gras, but I'm quite fond of it.
PETA, on the other hand, have earned my undying hatred, purely for their inability to distinguish between species.
An inability fostered by Disney.
Like I said,, I am very surprized it lasted this long.

Personally I am not fond of liver of any type,,, however I do make an excellent pate, usually using duck liver, as the added expense of fois gras just doesn't seem worth it. Perhaps in a Beef Wellington or for someone with a more refined palete than myself I would use it, I just hate to see businesses cave to such a whacked out (anything but silent) minority as the ARAs.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#64 Oct 19, 2008
Learn From the Past wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said,, I am very surprized it lasted this long.
Personally I am not fond of liver of any type,,, however I do make an excellent pate, usually using duck liver, as the added expense of fois gras just doesn't seem worth it. Perhaps in a Beef Wellington or for someone with a more refined palete than myself I would use it, I just hate to see businesses cave to such a whacked out (anything but silent) minority as the ARAs.
Yeah, I'm generally restricted to duck for my homemeade. My Gran's recipe's fabulous though.
Goofy

United States

#65 Oct 19, 2008
Cruz wrote:
Thank you Disney for making the right choice.
Promote kindness in this world.
Pay a living wage, instead of worrying over the PR on fat geese.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foie Gras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Responding to complaints from animal rights act... (Sep '11) Dec '13 T Ly 3
Wire: Chez Simo Bistro Open in Ravenswood; Bon ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Steve 2
dining review casimir bistro boca raton (Oct '08) Mar '13 Jeanine from Boca 11
Store says sorry for selling foie gras (Oct '12) Oct '12 CatWhispurrer 1
RSPCA and other groups join PETA to pile pressu... (Oct '12) Oct '12 CatWhispurrer 1
MEPs put foie gras controversy back on... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Kev 1
Foie gras spectacular at Seabar (Sep '12) Sep '12 Chet Booswahnicki 3
•••

Foie Gras People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••