Duck can't walk
Adam

Slough, UK

#21 Jul 29, 2010
I had a duck go lame and it turned out to be bumble foot, they get a bacterial infection through cut on feet the it heals with the bacteria inside, the way you tell is they have a boil like a veruca on the foot, this needs cutting open by a vet and cleaning with perxide. Spray with iodine ( savlon spray the yellow powder one) and dress with bandage, make a duck foot shaped shoe out of polystyrene and then wrap it to the foot. My duck got well after two weeks. Vet charged me about 30 quid.

Also they go lame and weak with botulism poisoning when water they get is polluted, there is no cure for that they need to be put down, wings droop and muscles fail.
Tammy

Moorhead, MN

#22 Sep 14, 2010
peg leg wrote:
My duck is 2 years old it has had a limp sence birth the otheir ducks have been picking on him I went to look for him and he was on his back he will not stand he flips over on his back and can't get his self back up.Can anyone help.
I have a duck that seems to swim fine as well. He's older and in the last week can't walk. He falls on his side or uses his wings to walk. None of the other ducks or chickens pick on him, but I'm worried as to why he suddenly can't walk. If it were broke, wouldn't it not move when he swims? Both legs seem to work then? Could it just be dislocated?
Tammy

Moorhead, MN

#23 Sep 14, 2010
Adam wrote:
I had a duck go lame and it turned out to be bumble foot, they get a bacterial infection through cut on feet the it heals with the bacteria inside, the way you tell is they have a boil like a veruca on the foot, this needs cutting open by a vet and cleaning with perxide. Spray with iodine ( savlon spray the yellow powder one) and dress with bandage, make a duck foot shaped shoe out of polystyrene and then wrap it to the foot. My duck got well after two weeks. Vet charged me about 30 quid.
Also they go lame and weak with botulism poisoning when water they get is polluted, there is no cure for that they need to be put down, wings droop and muscles fail.
Maybe that is the problem with my duck... he swims fine, just can't walk this last week. He does have some round bumps on his feet. We live in a rocky area too, where he could easily have cut his foot. Do you know exactly what the boil will look like?
Heather

Peachtree City, GA

#24 Sep 20, 2010
I have a duck that can swim but she can not walk. when she tries to stand she just falls forward. She has black spots on her bill. I dont know if that means anything. I have 3 other ducks of the same age and they do not have this problem. What could be wrong with her?
New Duck Owner

Sparrows Point, MD

#25 Sep 25, 2010
My daughter's duck, which is only about 4-5 months old, can't seem to walk properly. When she does walk she lifts her legs high to her body, she also keeps falling over. This just started today. Her diet has consisted of duck food and fruits and vegetables. She is a domestic duck, as in she lives in the house and not outside. She also seems to be fairly big compared to other ducks. Does anyone know why she is having trouble walking?
Val

Ripon, WI

#27 Nov 3, 2010
this is my second duck ive had and its a rouen and little over 4 months old. 4 days ago we found him laying under a bush on his side not able to stand up or walk or even move his right leg. the next day he could move his leg and the day after that he could push himself a little. today he can push himself around alot but still cant walk or stand. if i set him up he just tips over and lays on his side. he eats and drinks fine and breaths fine. he still makes the same little noises like he always has and nibbles on my clothes and hair and other things. however his poop is green and ive never noticed that before. Whats wrong with him? why would this happen just out of no where one day?
carmen

Medina, OH

#28 Dec 26, 2010
I have ducklings and they fall down and can't get up they flail their legslike they are having a seizure and I think that they are going to have a heart attack. I have a few ducks doing this now after swimming.
dawn

Clear Lake, MN

#29 Feb 8, 2011
they will breath heavy if they are hot or if they eat something that may get stuck in their throat and makes them dry
Lauradrizzt

Monterey, TN

#30 Mar 21, 2011
Baby ducks without a mother should not be allowed to swim until about two months old because they don't have the essential body oils to keep them warm, hence, they become overworked and exhausted from swimming and often die from the exertion. Also, baby ducklings should be fed only starter feed for the first two months, not a chick starter as the antibiotics can also kill a duckling. Swimming is not an essential part of their daily lives as little ones; however, fresh drinking water is a must.
Amanda

Saint Petersburg, FL

#31 Mar 27, 2011
A friend of mine just gave me a duckling. Looks to be about 6 weeks old. He said it was attacked by a cat in the backyard a couple weeks ago (All Healed now) But he does not walk without falling backwards on his back like a turtle with his legs up in the air, he can never get back up by himself. He does not appear to have spraddle legs, they seem to sit under him just fine. I have him in a make shift harness tied up to the ceiling so he does not fall on his back and get stuck that way while I am sleeping. They did not think he was allowed to swim until he had his "big duck feathers" So he does not even swim without freaking out and flopping backwards and upside down in the water and calms down once he can crawl into your hands. What exercises should I do? Is it just lack of muscle or will he just always be lame? Thanks for any help!!!:)
Country Girlie

Los Angeles, CA

#32 Apr 9, 2011
check out this blog... in the comments is a solution...
nancy drew

Garland, TX

#33 Apr 23, 2011
mama duck lol wrote:
my ducklings are a month old, and i am having this same prob.,...w/ our runt duckling, who died, she became very week,(i was feeding them cheerios soaked in water at first, then changed to cracked corn), i dont know if that means anything,...i also fed them tomatoes, and lettuce,...but the duck got to where it could not stand/walk, and died.....the mid. szd duck. did the same thing and i started feeding hard boiled eggs and leaf lettuce and he's ok now.......(he almost died on me too)....now the largest ducking cannot even stand up,..it was fine before i ran water for it to swim in, after that it could not stand up or walk....it's been like this for three days now.....what can i do?
First off stop feeding your ducklings cheerios and cracked corn. These foods lack the nutrients needed for a duck. Tomatoes and lettuce should be O.K, but they need to be chopped up really fine.Other fruits and vegtables are also good but like I said they have to be chopped up. However, DO NOT FEED THEM Onions, Birdseed, or Bread, as they are very bad for ducks to eat.
As for the water they are swimming in, baby ducks cannot swim in water for long periods of time,make sure that if you do let them swim you dry them off really well afterwards.I don't know if this will help but it can't hurt, if they are not walking try feeding them bananas. Remember also that if you can't find UNMEDICATED DUCK STARTER you can feed them grass,slugs,pondweed,or just plain old worms and beetles. Ducks love them and their high in nutrients too.
Well I hope that helped some, good luck with your ducks!
oko

Bradford, UK

#34 May 15, 2011
if it cannot walk after or a few days after swimming it may not have its waterproof feathers I made this mistake last year and one of my ducklings died, I think because of hypothermia or something (The water wasn't even that cold), none of my five ducklings could walk after and the one that died was the runt. I dried the rest off with a hair drier and they were fine
rod

Whitchurch, UK

#35 May 18, 2011
my duckling is rolling on his back n his neck bends all the was round what is this?
Vicky

Miami, FL

#36 May 27, 2011
Heather wrote:
I have a duck that can swim but she can not walk. when she tries to stand she just falls forward. She has black spots on her bill. I dont know if that means anything. I have 3 other ducks of the same age and they do not have this problem. What could be wrong with her?
Sorry Heather, but I just read your comment. Hope your female duck is still living. The black spots on her bill are probably rot. My females get it from being in the water too long and it may spread to her feet. You should take her to a vet to check her out. Mine have since passed away (I did not take to a vet, but should have).
New Duck Mom

Fairfield, NJ

#37 May 27, 2011
We have three pekin ducklings that are about a week old. Our third duckling hatched 4 days after the first two. It is a happy little duck, it eats well and drinks. but since it was born its feet are curled in tighter like they hold them when they are sleeping. It doesn't walk, it just hobbles to where it wants to go. I'm not sure exactly what to do other than the splint and bandade thing. does this sound right?
Poultry Lover

Pueblo, CO

#38 Jun 16, 2011
My duck cant walk anymore i have 2 male ducks that mate with her non stop. she has feathers missing from her wings and her back. i fed her honey because that sometimes works, but it didnt work for her. when she tries to move around she perpels her wings so that she can get away from some of the other birds. if she tries to walk she will either fall forward or backwards. i dont know what to do!
Krystal

Ruskin, FL

#39 Jul 7, 2011
Liz wrote:
I've had my ducks now for about 2.5 months they are just about full grown....One duck today got out of the pool I gave them for swimming in and could't walk...what caused this....will bananas work to help this duck walk again? The other duck swam in the same pool all day and didn't have that problem...He is also the bigger duck....wat should I do?
Did you ever get an answer to your question? One of my ducks got stuck in the new pool I got them, I didn't realize it, I just thought he loved it (cause the other two were going in and out fine) and took him out and he couldn't walk. Like his legs were jelly. He's gotten a tad better but walks on the "bend" of his legs and goes pretty much nowhere. ANY advice you have gotten would be much appreciated! My email is [email protected]
mia

Parkton, NC

#40 Aug 7, 2011
Emma wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Peg leg, Did you ever find out what was wrong with your duck? I have a 4 month old Pekin that has been fine up until about a week ago & now it's toppling over & can't get up. It walks very slowly & looks like it's got no balance.
It ate some yellow flowers in my garden so I hope these didn't effect it.
Any luck on finding out what is wrong I have a 2 year old pekin with the same problem now?Thanks
caz

Glasgow, UK

#41 Aug 14, 2011
Emma wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Peg leg, Did you ever find out what was wrong with your duck? I have a 4 month old Pekin that has been fine up until about a week ago & now it's toppling over & can't get up. It walks very slowly & looks like it's got no balance.
It ate some yellow flowers in my garden so I hope these didn't effect it.
hi, my ducks often get this problem, it is caused by eating too much and not being able to hold their own weight. Bit of a diet often helps. Also being mated to often can hurt their backs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bloody eggs Jun 18 Jeffrey 1
Duck laid eggs on my garden (Apr '07) Jun 11 sapphie94 63
Why is my duck not sitting on her eggs? (Feb '10) Jun 7 Jacob Stutzman 29
Duck Eggs (Nov '06) Jun 5 Greatoutdoors 102
Nesting/hatching eggs Jun 1 eLiz4 2
duck with wobbly gait and falling down (May '08) May '16 Inner City Birdman 32
Why can't my duckling walk anymore? (Dec '06) Mar '16 Animelife05 13
More from around the web