Duck can't walk
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Liz

Mitchell, SD

#1 May 20, 2007
I've had my ducks now for about 2.5 months they are just about full grown....One duck today got out of the pool I gave them for swimming in and could't walk...what caused this....will bananas work to help this duck walk again? The other duck swam in the same pool all day and didn't have that problem...He is also the bigger duck....wat should I do?
Liz

Mitchell, SD

#2 May 20, 2007
Help me help my duck
Guy Newman

Cupertino, CA

#3 Jul 7, 2007
Yes, the banadenne (bananas) will work. it worked early this week with my ducklings -now they are as fit as a feather
cheyenne

United States

#4 Feb 21, 2009
my baby duck is about a week old and it cant walk it shakes constantly its eat and drinks water but when i put it on the ground it falls over....do you no what i can do?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Ash

Salisbury, NC

#5 Mar 15, 2009
Hm, this also happens to my duck... His legs go in and cannot walk properly after swimming. He also breaths heavily out of his mouth. Bananas will work, to solve the walking problem?
Ash

Salisbury, NC

#6 Mar 15, 2009
**Also, does anyone know why he breathes heavily through his mouth? He is a duckling.
Suson

Sweet Water, AL

#7 Jun 19, 2009
do you feed then bananas
Suson

Sweet Water, AL

#8 Jun 19, 2009
sorry if that sounds stupid but my ducks are a day old and they cant walk.
Fanny

Guayama, Puerto Rico

#9 Jun 21, 2009
my duck does not have a mate but she laid 4 eggs now she cannot walk propely she seems weak but still eats and drinks normaly i need an answer
worried Duck mom in PuertRico
mama duck lol

Charleston, WV

#10 May 4, 2010
my ducklings are a month old, and i am having this same prob.,...w/ our runt duckling, who died, she became very week,(i was feeding them cheerios soaked in water at first, then changed to cracked corn), i dont know if that means anything,...i also fed them tomatoes, and lettuce,...but the duck got to where it could not stand/walk, and died.....the mid. szd duck. did the same thing and i started feeding hard boiled eggs and leaf lettuce and he's ok now.......(he almost died on me too)....now the largest ducking cannot even stand up,..it was fine before i ran water for it to swim in, after that it could not stand up or walk....it's been like this for three days now.....what can i do?
peg leg

United States

#11 May 11, 2010
My duck is 2 years old it has had a limp sence birth the otheir ducks have been picking on him I went to look for him and he was on his back he will not stand he flips over on his back and can't get his self back up.Can anyone help.
Country girl Wannabe

Plano, TX

#12 May 28, 2010
I am trying to waterproof my ducks. Yesterday went well I thought until 1 decided to not walk well afterward. I assumed that it hurt it's leg while diverting capture (to be returned to their dorm area). but today it won't even stand up. When holding the duck it does not appear to have a leg issue. Any idea what might be wrong? I saw some mention banana's. What do those help with? This is a Mandarin duck, about 2.5 wks old.
Vikki

Woodchurch, UK

#13 May 29, 2010
I have two call ducks which hatched today the first one to hatch took ages but the second was out within seconds. The 1st one seems very weak and just lays on his side and also one of his eyes hasnt opened :( is there something wrong with him as the other one is standing up and its very alive i'm scare i might lose him. any help??
Diamond- PA

Patton, PA

#14 Jun 2, 2010
I have 6 ducks that are 6 wks old. 2 of them went limp and won't walk. I read the Bannana comment above, but can't figure out how to feed the bannanas. Any help would be appreiated.
Jennifer

Pompano Beach, FL

#15 Jun 3, 2010
http://poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Could it be this that you are experiencing?
Jennifer

Pompano Beach, FL

#16 Jun 3, 2010
I found a 1 day old baby duck, on his back, left behind by his momma because he had trouble walking and couldn't keep up. I took him home and looked up his condition known as "spraddle legs" which means he does "splits" and can't get a good footing without falling on his belly. A chick/duck with spraddle legs is a dead bird! Try the band-aid trick above this comment and it will get resolved. In just less than 24 hours, he was cured and can walk normal again! And now we have a pet duck :D

Any questions [email protected]
Victoria

Newark, OH

#17 Jun 14, 2010
My geese and Duck was fine until 2 hour ago ,Yin came up to me screaming and went down . I grabbed her and checked her out there is nothing that I can see . I put her in a cage away from everyone .Now I have a Duck doing the same thing . What is this? I clean their water pool every day .They roam free during the day and in at night . I take good care of them .
farmerwannabe

United States

#18 Jun 15, 2010
mama duck lol wrote:
my ducklings are a month old, and i am having this same prob.,...w/ our runt duckling, who died, she became very week,(i was feeding them cheerios soaked in water at first, then changed to cracked corn), i dont know if that means anything,...i also fed them tomatoes, and lettuce,...but the duck got to where it could not stand/walk, and died.....the mid. szd duck. did the same thing and i started feeding hard boiled eggs and leaf lettuce and he's ok now.......(he almost died on me too)....now the largest ducking cannot even stand up,..it was fine before i ran water for it to swim in, after that it could not stand up or walk....it's been like this for three days now.....what can i do?
ducks should not eat a diet of only vegetables. Baby ducks need to eat duck starter food for 4-6 weeks then switch to adult poultry food. Strawberries,tomatoes, lettuce, etc. should not be the only food in a duck's diet. They need the protein and nutrients in the duck food,otherwise they can get severe digestive problems and die. Did your duck get injured getting out of the pool? Most leg injuries occur when getting into or out of a pond or pool.
Katryn

North Newton, KS

#19 Jul 3, 2010
I have 2 muscovi ducklings with broken legs aprox 7wks old. the legs have healed but are miss shapen. overall, they have problems walking but are adapting to the disability. the problem is with one. her left leg was broken at the joint and is turned inward beneath her with the foot twisted forward. the male has similar problems but in the female the left leg below the break is very swollen. we have no bird vet near here; does anyone know how I can safely reduce the swelling?

other than this both ducklings are healthy and get a proper balanced diet
Emma

Japan

#20 Jul 28, 2010
peg leg wrote:
My duck is 2 years old it has had a limp sence birth the otheir ducks have been picking on him I went to look for him and he was on his back he will not stand he flips over on his back and can't get his self back up.Can anyone help.
Hi Peg leg, Did you ever find out what was wrong with your duck? I have a 4 month old Pekin that has been fine up until about a week ago & now it's toppling over & can't get up. It walks very slowly & looks like it's got no balance.
It ate some yellow flowers in my garden so I hope these didn't effect it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bloody eggs Jun 18 Jeffrey 1
Duck laid eggs on my garden (Apr '07) Jun 11 sapphie94 63
Why is my duck not sitting on her eggs? (Feb '10) Jun 7 Jacob Stutzman 29
Duck Eggs (Nov '06) Jun 5 Greatoutdoors 102
Nesting/hatching eggs Jun 1 eLiz4 2
duck with wobbly gait and falling down (May '08) May '16 Inner City Birdman 32
Why can't my duckling walk anymore? (Dec '06) Mar '16 Animelife05 13
More from around the web