First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Adam

Slough, UK

#22 Jul 29, 2010
I think the beak is made of keratin same as hair/ fingernails and does repair itself to a fashion, I know on baby ducks it feels soft to the touch but hardens as they get older and grow bigger, I had a duck bash his on my bike chain when he ran off and he bled a bit but the chip did heal after a few days. He has been fine since and eats ok.
Not sure if the damage had been bigger if the results would be so good.
Could feed the injured duck leafy salad in water the love to dabble for it and it would be easy to handle if it's in water they pick
it up easier.
Sabine Duran

Milford, NH

#23 Sep 13, 2010
Helen wrote:
I have a duck with its lower beak missing. It is domestic gone wild, I have been feeding it wet bread for months now and it is doing nicely. Looks funny though as its tongue hangs down as their is no bottom beak to support it.
Hello, we found a duck with missing bottom beak, fresh injury, how and what shall we feed?
Laura

Chicago, IL

#24 Jan 7, 2011
I have a beakless duck that was injured the day she was hatched. Part of her head was injured and fractured, her tongue was sticking out. The vet said that she would not live. She is a year and a half old now. They can survive. The beaks do not grow back. There are ways to get them a new beak but its not easy and its expensive. I give my Muscovy duck and goose food that has been soaked to a baby food consistancy. She does very good. She is my baby. I was given on christmas a second duck that has a portion of it beak was cut off by something unknow. He did not get enough food, and he would have died. They can live in the wild. In captavity they need extra care.
Lena

United States

#25 Jun 19, 2012
My duck just died after we clean his wound with rubbing alcohol... :(
mykidsasked

United States

#26 Nov 2, 2012
My kids asked does beaks of birds fell off and if so will the beaks grow back. From reading these post I guess they do... in weird and crazy ways(people hurting them, self inflicted. but do beaks grow back?
dognes

Pittsburgh, PA

#27 Nov 29, 2012
youtube.com/watch... …serious problem the Duck has
-------

A cracked beak is like a broken tooth and as bone and nerve endings are connected to the beak, such injuries are painful.
The beak has an abundant blood supply, so any beak injury is likely to cause excessive bleeding. With a puncture, fracture or amputated beak you will need to apply pressure to stop the bleeding. You need to contact an emergency clinic or your avian vet as soon as possible -- but do not wait longer than 24 hours!
A cracked beak won't grow together, but will grow out over time.
Amputated or torn off beaks, as well as fractured beaks, will not grow back, but can be repaired.
----------
Actions to be taken:

Course of action depends on the type of bird and degrees of severity of the injury. A vet visit is recommended.
Depending on the severity, a vet may glue and bandage a broken / cracked beak. The bird will be sore for a couple of days
One web visitor recommended: "If it's small and doesn't seem to bother your bird and doesn't bleed, leave it alone and it will simply grow out like a chipped fingernail.
One suggestion was to superglue a broken beak, however, most glues are toxic. This is not recommended.
Make sure you have some cuttlebones or calcium / mineral blocks for your bird to rub on. So it can naturally trim its beak.
The risks of a cracked beak may involve possible infection or the bird's disability to eat properly. If cracked a little higher or deeper, your pet may be gushing drops of blood from the beak tip. In many ways this is another case of high blood pressure making the bleeding worse. But a deeply split beak may cause a bird to bleed to death. It is not the pain, but the unstoppable bleeding that you must concern yourself with. The end of the beak can be "corked" or plugged using a mass of softened soap. Scrape this from the underside of a bar of soap from the bathroom. This technique can also be used as first aid for a bleeding nail. This is considered an emergency and your pet should immediately be taken to a vet.
Voice of Reason

Jacksonville, TX

#28 Feb 11, 2013
Simone Manbodh wrote:
<quoted text>
I think your friend should f***ing die for doing that. As should you for having him as your friend. I hope you both go to hell for doing that to a helpless animal.
The guy was just hunting ducks, like most people who hunt do, when it's duck season. He missed, by accident, and knocked the bill off. He wasn't intentionally trying to make the thing suffer.
Calm down.
sick of everything

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#29 Mar 23, 2014
Voice of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
The guy was just hunting ducks, like most people who hunt do, when it's duck season. He missed, by accident, and knocked the bill off. He wasn't intentionally trying to make the thing suffer.
Calm down.
Hey a**hole what gives you and your friend the right to go into into an animals home and maim/kill it anyway? why do people think they only have a right to lives? why do you get pleasure out of killing defenseless creatures? takes a real man to shoot a gun huh? anyone can big guys killing Bambi, Thumper and other innocent animals.They have families too you know. Hunters are the biggest pieces of shit I laugh when I hear of hunting accidents or if a person died and he was a hunter they deserve it I hope someone breaks into their home and slaughters them like they do to the animals.
sick of everything

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#30 Mar 23, 2014
Dickwad wrote:
Hey simone, get a life.
Nice name suits you.Go f*** yourself loser get a life because someone doesn't want people to torture,maim and kill animals? get cancer.
MEG

Niagara-on-the-lake, Canada

#31 Sep 26, 2014
sick of everything wrote:
<quoted text> Hey a**hole what gives you and your friend the right to go into into an animals home and maim/kill it anyway? why do people think they only have a right to lives? why do you get pleasure out of killing defenseless creatures? takes a real man to shoot a gun huh? anyone can big guys killing Bambi, Thumper and other innocent animals.They have families too you know. Hunters are the biggest pieces of shit I laugh when I hear of hunting accidents or if a person died and he was a hunter they deserve it I hope someone breaks into their home and slaughters them like they do to the animals.
I sure hope you dont eat meat. An animal that has lived in the wild and is killed by a hunter lived a much grander life than commercially produced meat of any kind. Over fed stuffed in a cell/cage and then mass slaughtered.... so if you want to have a problem with killing defenseless creatures take it out on the jerks that buy meat at the grocery store.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Duck can't walk (May '07) Mar 9 Susan C 103
Introducing a new duck to flock (Jan '07) Mar 6 Tiffany 7
Duck Eggs (Nov '06) Mar 6 gerald 94
News Happy Food, a Plentiful New Food Court on Flush... Feb '15 Hahaufunny 1
duck with wobbly gait and falling down (May '08) Jan '15 Lisa Australia 25
Duck laid eggs on my garden (Apr '07) Jan '15 Marta 56
News Roll With Your Own Champagne Butler And Other O... Dec '14 seniang80 1
More from around the web