sammy

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2008

i gave a mother duck and her babies some cow feed and now one of the ducklings can't walk. i live on a farm and my parents don't want to spend any money on just one duckling.
sammy

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2008

it's me again this is not a joke either my deal is like duck lovers but it drinks water when you set it in it. and eats when you give it food. i hope someone will known what to do. i am only 13and i love animals and cry when they die.:(
sammy

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2008

qoet from Duck Lover "it wouldnt move its legs. it has its legs underneath its self and its feet are close together.

that is how my duckling is acting. with it's feet curled together and it won't bend its legs.the mother and her other six are fine ....so far.
Tessa

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

o my god. MY ONE DAY OLD BABY DUCKLING IS DYEING!!! WHAT DO I DO???? PLEASE HELP!!!SHE IS NOT MOVING!!!:(
keith

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

i have three baby ducklings, these are my first pet ducks. they are very cool and they seem to like me alot. i was woundering when i take them outside do i have to worrie about other birds swooping and grabbing them. for the most part they follow me and stay at my feet, and i dont think another bird would get that close to me, but you never know. has anyone ever heard of anything like that. any answers would help very much and would be really appreciated, thank you.
Michaela

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2009

I bought six baby ducks from tractor supply about a month ago. I bought three mallards, and three yellow ducks. The guy told us that it wouldn't really matter if they were together or seperate, and we had to put them together, so we did. Thet same day, we had to leave for a couple of hours, and when I got back one of the mallard ducks were dead in the water!! I think it drowned and got too cold, or it couldn't get out of the water. They grew big fast, and we eventually had to move them to a bigger area. A couple nights after that I was going to feed them and three of them were gone!! My favorite one too!! We think racoons ate them. Then, about a week later, one of the last two baby ducks (a mallard and a yellow one) had only one leg!! I have no idea what happened to it!! I am terribly scared!! I do not want it to die, it is the mallard one, id is about half the size of the yellow one. I separated them and I am keeping a close eye on them. Will the poor little mallard duck live?!?! Please help me ASAP thanks for your concern.
Mama Duck

Buffalo Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

We have had a pair of ducks that return to our backyard pond yearly. The female has an injured leg. I have not seen the male in a few days. Has he abandoned her? What should I feed her? Is there a way I can help her?
snohawk4

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2009

just hacthed 5 baby ducklings 4 are ok but ones feet are curled and cant walk is there anything i can do
Lauryn

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2009

I have many wild mallard ducks and one of the babies seemed fine but yesterday started to swell up and have difficulty walking.
Today he was even worse, he is twice his body size and his neck has started to swell but his head is the same size it should be. His skin is stretched and his legs are almost at the side of his body so he is alot slower in the lakes.

Does anyone know what might have caused this or if there is anything we can do to help him survive?
Sara

Bellingham, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

NAN wrote:
We have recently hatched 7 ducklings. Six of them have found a great home. We kept the last one because he has something wrong with his leg. It stays straight out behind him and he can't walk. He/She (?) wiggles to get to food and water, but his brothers and sisters trampled over him and he surely would not survive. What do we do with him now? We currently have him in a cardboard box with old t-shirts as bedding. We put him outside during part of the day in the grass, but what will become of him? Is there a place he should be instead of with us?
Hi Nan,
I know it has been a long time since you last posted, but I would like to have some advice as the same thing happened to me. What became of your little duckling? Did he end up walking or hopping at all? I love my little guy and I know it might sound lame, but he seems so happy when I get home and he just chats away.I don't want him to be in pain, and he doesn't seem to be...but not sure what to do.
Jen

Dunfermline, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

PLEASE HELP. same kind of problem, duckling hatched yesterday but is still sort of curled up like in egg, neck bent round and just lies on one side and kicks. ive helped it to drink and it seems active but just cant hold itself up or walk...
tee miao xin

Batu Pahat, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2010

my little duck was a happy little duckling until she suddenly couldn't walk properly anymore.it needs to wiggle its way to the food bowl and eat.And these few days it started sneazing a lot. And i do not know what to do.
Annie

Strasburg, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2011

Julie wrote:
I have a little duckling. When I got him he could walk fine for about a week. Then one day he just couldnt walk anymore. I have tried putting him in a wading pool every day for therapy and giving him banana's, but he still cannot walk. Any advice?
I have the same problem. Did you get any good feed back that was helpful????
Annie

Strasburg, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2011

Julie wrote:
I have a little duckling. When I got him he could walk fine for about a week. Then one day he just couldnt walk anymore. I have tried putting him in a wading pool every day for therapy and giving him banana's, but he still cannot walk. Any advice?
Dear Julie,
My husband and I have been having the same problem. Did you find any helpful advice/posts?? If so, please let me know. Thanks!
Country Girlie

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2011

check out this web site. in the comment section is a solution.

http://countrygirlie.blogspot.com/2011/03/lam...
MaryAnn

Booneville, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2011

Jen wrote:
PLEASE HELP. same kind of problem, duckling hatched yesterday but is still sort of curled up like in egg, neck bent round and just lies on one side and kicks. ive helped it to drink and it seems active but just cant hold itself up or walk...
did anyone ever tell you what is wrong with your duck? I have one the same way...And I have helped mine to trying to save it I don't know what to do ..
Jen

Bristol, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2011

MaryAnn wrote:
<quoted text>
did anyone ever tell you what is wrong with your duck? I have one the same way...And I have helped mine to trying to save it I don't know what to do ..
I helped him to drink from water and to eat as well, placed a towel around so that he couldnt wiggle out from the 'safe place' with the heat lamp etc. He stayed limp like this for a few days then one day I went to check him and he was standing up! It was totally unexpected because he went from the brink of death to all of a sudden fine...maybe he just wasn't too ready to come out of the egg and just needed to build up some strength. He's still fine and never had any problems, so if you are willing to spend the time and care for your little duck then please try!
Good luck, I wish you all the best.
montana

Granbury, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2012

our duck has the same issue with it
jackie

Portales, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

thank you ... youre right.. thanks for taking the time to warn us... jackie
lgsocc wrote:
<quoted text>
I just wanted to let everyone know that I believe Guy Newman is making up advice. Although bananas shouldn't hurt the duckling, but it needs a well balanced diet. If you notice "Guy's" advice in earlier posts include, treatment for some sort of aspargus deficiency and treating a broken beak with human saliva (and warnings not to use your penis as an applicator because he's tried it).
Also this person posted saying that he is having "feelings and urges" for his ducks. I would recommend finding vet for your advice and remember to do your research before taking just one person's opinion from an internet forum.
Cynthia

Dothan, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Michaela wrote:
I bought six baby ducks from tractor supply about a month ago. I bought three mallards, and three yellow ducks. The guy told us that it wouldn't really matter if they were together or seperate, and we had to put them together, so we did. Thet same day, we had to leave for a couple of hours, and when I got back one of the mallard ducks were dead in the water!! I think it drowned and got too cold, or it couldn't get out of the water. They grew big fast, and we eventually had to move them to a bigger area. A couple nights after that I was going to feed them and three of them were gone!! My favorite one too!! We think racoons ate them. Then, about a week later, one of the last two baby ducks (a mallard and a yellow one) had only one leg!! I have no idea what happened to it!! I am terribly scared!! I do not want it to die, it is the mallard one, id is about half the size of the yellow one. I separated them and I am keeping a close eye on them. Will the poor little mallard duck live?!?! Please help me ASAP thanks for your concern.
I'm so sorry to hear this- but you really should learn a lesson from it. Never leave babies out alone- way too many predators will pick them off. We always put our littles in a pen at night so nothing can get at them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of42
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Duck Discussions

Search the Duck Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
What Food can i feed my ducks, apart from norma... (Nov '06) Apr 16 humboldt county 191
Duck can't walk (May '07) Apr 15 Linda Coones 91
Why is my duck not sitting on her eggs? (Feb '10) Apr 13 Duckman 15
duck with wobbly gait and falling down (May '08) Apr 7 NewlyCrazyCritterLady 23
Duck Eggs (Nov '06) Apr 3 juanito 92
what is white foam found on muscovoy ducks eye (Mar '10) Apr 3 Janis 21
Duck with broken beek (May '06) Mar 23 sick of everything 29
•••
•••
•••
•••