Flamangos in Whitehouse Station reopens as The Junction after Gordon Ramsay makeover

May 20, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Courier News

Tropical Storm Gordon swept into Hunterdon County last week, and when he was gone, Flamangos Restaurant was no more.

Comments
1 - 20 of 85 Comments Last updated Monday
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
amq346

Cranston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2009

Judged:

I wonder if Chef Ramsey actually ate any of the food that The Junction was serving. Oysters and deluxe burger were tasteless, and ribs were nothing exciting. Restaurant will not survive if the food isn't tasty - definitely wasn't worth the price.
aimee

Annandale, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2009

Judged:

Horrid! I guess the food is only as good as the person cooking it - it doesn't matter how good the menu is that Ramsey developed, if the food isn't made well.
We ate there over the weekend and was expecting big things. Ick! Not impressive in the least. Very disappointing.
I also love how they have a sign out front saying their restaurant has been revamped by Ramsey, however, they are going to add some old "favorites" (this place was horrid when it was Flamancos so don't know how there could be any "favorites" from that place) back to the menu. Oh boy, this place is doomed. I give it 6 months at the most! What a shame.
And just a note in case someone from the restaurant is reading - it is probably better if you don't allow the kitchen staff to smoke on the front porch of the restaurant where you have patrons waiting. So gross!
grace

Flemington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2009

Judged:

Never ate at Flamingos but did eat there when it was Spiotas. The Spiota Burger was great and I ordered it more often than not. Other things I tried there were also very good. Why did they change it?
Makes me wonder how good a chef Chef Ramsey really is when another of the restaurants he 'revamped' closed shortly afterwards. TV show or not, this does not speak well of his efforts. How about teaching the cooks in the restaurant what to do and how to do it, then follow through with a surprize visit to the restaurant in order to critique how his plans have been carried on by the owners, managers, cooks, etc.
J n J

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2009

Judged:

The old menu was GOOD! Better then what they got going now. I do not plan on going back anytime soon. Change the ambiance in there, bring back some of the goodies on that old menu, and hire some people that are not just miserable. We had a horrible waitress the last time. I'm sorry I had to order something off the menu and have you deliver it to my table.... It’s a good location but if you are going to run a successful business you need to pick and idea and stay with it. Changing things several times in a year will lead to failure.
Janet

West Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2009

Judged:

The food was not very good and definitely not worth the price, it was very bland and not cooked as requested. Our service was also not very good, the wait staff was not attentive. I will definetly not go back or recommend it to anyone.
Mairsie

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2009

Judged:

Liked it better before it was "Ramsified"...bring back the old stuff...I too think the cooks should not be smoking out front.
Michelle

Newton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

Judged:

We've been here twice for lunch since GR revamped the place. The service AND the food were good both times. They HAVE brought some things back from the old menu....like the Ahi Tuna, which I think is the best item on the menu (old and new). I grew up in the area and now live in NYC. I've definitely been to hundreds of GREAT restaurants and consider myself a bit of a foodie (AKA a food snob!). I've also frequented Gordon's restaurants around the world. Let's face it, Whitehouse Station isn't a metropolis for restaurants, so I think we should support the decent ones (like this one)....god knows this location has turned over quite a few restaurants over the past 20-something years. IT'S GOOD! TRY IT!!! AND.....it's family-run (atleast that's what I gather), so let's support small, local business in this dismal economy and stop trashing a perfectly fine restaurant.
Ken Williams

Newton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

Judged:

I was almost put off visiting this restaurant by some of the negative reviews above but decided to give it a shot. Upon arriving we had to wait a few minutes for the maitre d' to arrive to seat us making me think that maybe the reviews were correct.....
However, when she did appear, she was pleasant and attentive, sat us and took our drink order immediately.
We ordered a shared appetizer from the old menu (Ahi Tuna) which was great and I ordered the Chicken Focaccia burger, which was more of a sandwich really.
The food arrived promptly and was well cooked. It was also MORE than enough quantity-wise. Along with a couple of glasses of wine, it made a very respectable lunch.
I was surprised to read the above complaints about the service as our waitress was just lovely. My girlfriend coudln't finish her meal and the waitress was genuinely concerned to see if she'd enjoyed it or whether there was something amiss. Caring about the satisfaction of your customers is a good sign!
So yes, overall, pretty decent. You're unlikely to see any Michelin stars being awarded to The Junction any time soon but for an unpretentious local lunch spot (I haven't been for dinner yet), it's a good option.
Steve

Newton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Judged:

amq346 wrote:
I wonder if Chef Ramsey actually ate any of the food that The Junction was serving. Oysters and deluxe burger were tasteless, and ribs were nothing exciting. Restaurant will not survive if the food isn't tasty - definitely wasn't worth the price.
TOOK A PERFECTLY GOOD RESTAURANT & DESTROYED IT..NOT TO MENTION OUR TOWN. THEIR NOSES ARE STUCK UP WAY IN THE AIR.WAKE UP PEOPLE YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE SNOOTY ABOUT..
jeff

Nanticoke, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Judged:

to j n j

Why do people order off the menu?

why even bother reading menus if your gonna order your own?

dick..
DEW

Edmond, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

Judged:

Hey, Steve, it was so "good" that it was nearly bankrupt and out of business. The old hag that runs the place is actually a four-year-old brat that's always had her way, and couldn't handle someone like Ramsay getting in her face and telling her that the restaurant SUCKED, and that's why it was failing. She pouted and stormed off like a bratty, peevish four-year-old. She was an embarrassment. I feel sorry for her husband, having to put up with that intolerable witch for heaven knows how many years.
Alex

Woodstock, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

Judged:

I just caught your show and applaud Chef Ramsey for the change. When you (and you know who “you” are) question one the worlds greatest chef and oh please can I repeat that, one of the worlds greatest chefs, one realizes, YOU WILL NEVER CHANGE. I expect your head chef to quit and like you my mother also has a beautiful daughter (my sister) and like your daughter, will never marry while you are alive. You would find fault with Christ himself. I feel for your family. You’re lucky your husband and daughter are still at your side.
food dood

Fogelsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

Judged:

I found it funny that the old hag HATED blue when she saw the new chairs and yet if you notice...that next night she was wearing a blue pastel shirt..you're right what a freakin bitch..she needed to retire or let the old man take over..

Not sure what qualifications they even had to own a restaurant. This place is in central NJ not far from MERCK which is a place i visit often on business..one day i may go in to check out the misery for myself.
Rick Hackettstown

King Of Prussia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

I was there in late September, wasn't aware that Ramsey had filmed there, nor did I know anything about the former operation. I was with friends from Flemington. Poor service, food not very good, although the young lady serving was very polite.

I was shocked when scanning through the channels tonight to see the place on TV. Based on the one time there, I wouldn't be going back.
SUGAR

Julian, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

Judged:

I JUST WATCHED THE SHOW AND I TELL YOU THAT WOMEN IS A UNGRATEFUL BITCH I DID CATCH THAT TOO I HATE BLUE LOOK AT YOUR SHIRT DUMB ASS I FEEL LIKE GOING THERE TO TO TELL HER HOW RUDE SHE WAS I HOPE SHE LOSES HER BUSINESS BY ACTING LIKE A 4 YEAR OLD
OMG

Pennington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

Judged:

Oye,
No good deed goes unpunished. If you were great parents, you should have invested in an apartment and career for you devoted daughter. Adel, you can't be a bad as they showed you on TV, but you need to step away.
Mike

Broad Brook, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

Judged:

I've never wanted to smack an old lady so bad in my life. They should have tossed her in the fire. Ramsay knows there will be no return, the place will be closed down. He cut the menu down because the incompetant chefs at that place would ruin a grilled cheese. Hopefully this place will burn down and that old bag will suffocate and die of smoke inhalation.
lit1

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

Judged:

Just saw the show and I also applaud Chef Ramsey. He really did his best and it can work if the owners listen to him. I can see why it's so hard for the owner to accept such a big change. After all, she and her family must have worked very hard to decorate the place and make up that extensive menu. People who are not in the restaurant business do not understand the hardships and imagination it takes to run a successful restaurant. All my best to the owners and staff of The Junction. I will try your restaurant this Spring.
Eatin Fool

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

What a show!! I use to live in Whitehouse St. for 25 yrs. I eat at the Union Hotel a few times and it was a dark and dingy place. I will take a trip to try out the new restaurant. The area sure does need fine restaurants, hopefully it doesn't suck. We'll see.
INK-MAN

Weare, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

Judged:

F@*% THAT OLD UNGRATEFUL BITCH. SEE HAS NO IDEA, ADEL YOU ARE JUST ONE NEGATIVE BALL OF BITCH.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••