FDA Calls Breakfast Cereal Cheerios a Drug

May 13, 2009 | Posted by: GAPatriot65 | Full story: www.newsmax.com

The popular breakfast cereal Cheerios is a drug, at least if the claims manufacturer General Mills makes on the label are anything to go by, the Food and Drug Administration says.

Comments
1 - 20 of 684 Comments Last updated Jun 3, 2009
First Prev
of 35
Next Last
LocalBoy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

10

9

7

And the progressives claimed the pure food and drug laws of the early 20th century would fail. Not sophisticated enough.

Look at this mess, and its getting worse.

Where does the central government get the authority to control my food and drugs ?
Controlling my food and drug is not interstate commerce, nor is it written in the constitution. Where does this authority come from ?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Damn - and I thought that healthy warm glow and boost of energy I have been enjoying from eating Cheerios every morning for a year was because I was getting healthier.

Now I am to believe it's because I have been eating a drug.

Better find me a local CEA meeting
LOL

Roselle, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

16

9

8

whole grain oats are drugs!!!!!

FDA= Few Dumb Asses
LOL

Roselle, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

5

3

3

Meanwhile, another food is found to contain salmonella.

I will remember this when they beg for tax dollars.
Jack Schidt

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

11

10

6

The IDIOTS that are in the Obama Administration think EVERY SUBSTANCE IS A DRUG.........Why???? Because they LOVE DRUGS!!!

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

8

7

7

Wow...you all are totally missing the point, but that's not uncommon for GAPatriot. The issue here is that Cheerios is making a claim that it does something (ie lower cholesterol) that's only been proven by taking medication (like Zetia). No one is suggesting Cheerios is a drug or should only be available from a pharmacy, but rather its makers should probably change the claims on the box.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

10

10

5

No one missed the point moron.

The point here is that the FDA had no problem with the claim for 12 years.

Now all of the sudden - they do?

The claims are based on several reputable studies, so the FDA is way off base here.

They need to focus on real food issues and the safety thereof.
Vote for Me wrote:
Wow...you all are totally missing the point, but that's not uncommon for GAPatriot. The issue here is that Cheerios is making a claim that it does something (ie lower cholesterol) that's only been proven by taking medication (like Zetia). No one is suggesting Cheerios is a drug or should only be available from a pharmacy, but rather its makers should probably change the claims on the box.
Lance Winslow

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Vote for Me wrote:
Wow...you all are totally missing the point, but that's not uncommon for GAPatriot. The issue here is that Cheerios is making a claim that it does something (ie lower cholesterol) that's only been proven by taking medication (like Zetia). No one is suggesting Cheerios is a drug or should only be available from a pharmacy, but rather its makers should probably change the claims on the box.
Exactly so on both parts: GAPatriot's posts are on par with Jones' comments, and it's about mis-representing the benefits of food in order to enhance sales.
hopeandfaith

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

4

2

2

And, to think we are sending our children to school after a breakfast of Cheerios with a buzz on.
Seeking truth

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Processed foods kill.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

8

7

7

Lance Winslow wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly so on both parts: GAPatriot's posts are on par with Jones' comments, and it's about mis-representing the benefits of food in order to enhance sales.
and you're a liberal idiot - your comments have to always be viewed with that in mind

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

11

7

6

GAPatriot65 wrote:
No one missed the point moron.
The point here is that the FDA had no problem with the claim for 12 years.
Now all of the sudden - they do?
The claims are based on several reputable studies, so the FDA is way off base here.
They need to focus on real food issues and the safety thereof.
<quoted text>
You're wrong...as usual. Cheerios has been claiming heart health benefits for 12 years, which is fine since eating whole grains has been proven to reduce the risk of heart disease over time. Their "Lower your Cholesterol 4% in 6 Weeks" claim sprouted up in 2006, and likely skated past George Bush's "regulation=bad" FDA. Keep in mind it was over a year into his presidency before he even bothered to nominate an FDA Commissioner.

So you're right...they "all of a sudden have a problem" because there's "all of a sudden" someone actually doing their job.
Kevin

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

8

6

6

Man, the liberal nuts are on the loose in Washington, aren't they? It'd be funny if it weren't so sad.
opinions

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

3

1

They want the profits of Cheerios.

“are you bent over yet?”

Since: Jul 08

small town Iowa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

5

5

3

It's funny that the FDA wants to stir up some crap-o-la with General Mills over a cereal that is whole grain oats (good 4 u) But margarine that was designed to fatten turkeys but killed them instead is on the market to spread on your toast and glob onto your potatoes and use in cooking and baking. Clogging your arteries a big reason we have heart attacks in this country. Bugs won't even get in the stuff if left outside but it's in our grocery stores for you to buy everyday. But lets go after the freakin cheerios!!

“It's 420 here.”

Since: Jun 07

cold comfort farm

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I am glad they didn't put Richard Simmons on a box of Wheaties.

Since: Mar 09

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

4

3

3

LocalBoy wrote:
Where does the central government get the authority to control my food and drugs ?
Controlling my food and drug is not interstate commerce, nor is it written in the constitution. Where does this authority come from ?
Why does the sale of food and drugs across State lines not count as interstate commerce in your world?

Since: Mar 09

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

6

6

4

GAPatriot65 wrote:
No one missed the point moron.
The point here is that the FDA had no problem with the claim for 12 years.
Now all of the sudden - they do?
.....
<quoted text>
Hey stupid, Cheerios has not been running ads, and posting on boxes that, it would lower your cholesterol by 4% in 10 weeks...or whatever it says, for 12 years.

The case was about that one claim...which is not a 12 year old claim. You've seen the fairly new commercials where the wife eats the cereal for a set number of weeks, while hubby builds something in garage same set time.

That answers your first question.

Second, the gov did not change the status of Cheerios from food to medicine. Thats your newsmax spin.

Even the fine print you posted explains that FDA says specific claims may by a man made product with a specific claim that it can fix a disease, then the FDA must classify it as a medicine.

The Cheerios claim was too specific and claimed to fix what could be conceived as a disease, high cholesterol, and also false at that.

So nice spin, but the FDA did not call it a drug. It said only drugs can be that specific.

You ran with your own spin.
Seeking truth

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

5

5

3

lili5044 wrote:
It's funny that the FDA wants to stir up some crap-o-la with General Mills over a cereal that is whole grain oats (good 4 u) But margarine that was designed to fatten turkeys but killed them instead is on the market to spread on your toast and glob onto your potatoes and use in cooking and baking. Clogging your arteries a big reason we have heart attacks in this country. Bugs won't even get in the stuff if left outside but it's in our grocery stores for you to buy everyday. But lets go after the freakin cheerios!!
Be patient! To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. Trans fat and the BS about "0 GRAMS.... per serving" confusion will soon be ending. We will kick out the BUSHBOTS and their lobbyist friends that profit from poison, soon enough.
Strung Out On Drugs

Port Byron, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

All most all the 1-3 yr old babies in the U S eat Cheerios. It has been a staple for generations. No wonder they're strung out on drugs when they get older.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 35
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Dieting Forum right now

Search the Dieting Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Does anyone buy slimming pill from these websi... (Jul '12) 51 min Santy DOMINGUEZ 23
slimex 15mg 2 hr _woods959_ 9
Meizitang Botanical Slimming Softgel (Sep '09) 2 hr Santy DOMINGUEZ 3,669
One Day Diet 11 hr Thyckecutie 8
Redotex for sale (Weight Loss & Diet ) (Nov '13) 11 hr miss tik 83
Super slim green lean body capsule (Nov '09) 20 hr Roshelle 154
can you suggest me the best pill to lose 25 kg -pt Thu cflower 1
Best Chinese Diet Pills that really work? (Dec '10) Jul 30 love 643
•••
•••