Restaurant Review: The City Cellar an...

Restaurant Review: The City Cellar and Loft

There are 30 comments on the Patch.com story from Jul 30, 2011, titled Restaurant Review: The City Cellar and Loft. In it, Patch.com reports that:

The City Cellar and Loft is a dining and music venue in Cartersville and if you haven't been there yet, it's time to check it out! Expect a dark, moody atmosphere that feels equal parts casual and classy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
M Man

Cartersville, GA

#1 Aug 2, 2011
The people that work there are rude, the food is ok not great, not fine dining like they claim. In the loft they serve wine in plastic cups. Paying 5.00 to go in and listen to a guy play music with his computer is a ripoff. There are so many places around where u don't have to pay to listen to music or if you do you get more for your money. And their stuff is over priced. I have not been there in a while, also I won't be back. Just never enjoyed it.
IMO

Cartersville, GA

#2 Aug 2, 2011
I must agree. Not impressed with the wait staff and the owner is one of the moodiest people you will ever meet. One day he is friendly, a week later he is a jerk. I quit going there.
Scrumpty

Cartersville, GA

#3 Aug 2, 2011
We've never been to the loft, except to check it out with the owner prior to its opening. He was very nice to my wife and I. The diner we had was SO SO not great but not terrible either. The waitstaff seemed average. The one true plus for the place is that at least it isn't a chain place like Chili's, Red lobster etc. If you've been in one of those you've been in ALL of them.. D. Morgans was awesome. We're sad it's gone.
Jojo

Cartersville, GA

#4 Aug 2, 2011
Went one time, Hated it, I used to love the pub that was there. Maybe someday they will be replaced by something good.
Kritty

Detroit, MI

#5 Aug 2, 2011
I've had delicious specials there as well as their grilled Harrys salad! No wait staff problems so far and bob the owner has always been super to me.
party guy

Atlanta, GA

#6 Aug 2, 2011
Ive had good time and no so good time. Food is average. Owner most of times cheerful. Wait staff is ok. I would give it a 2nd chance.
Used_to_Love_it

Montgomery, AL

#7 Aug 3, 2011
But not anymore. The manager (tall dark headed guy) is creepy. The bartender was arrogent and rude(waited 5 min to get a drink while he was flirting). The owner seems to have a beer in his hand all the time, and the food is not as good as it was in the beggining(I think they have a different chef). I agree $5 for a so-so dj is too much. When they first opened, the manager, was a young lady that talked to everyone, the staff was attentive. Was there for lunch one day and the bartender kept us entertained and the owner seemed to appriciate our buisness, now he seems like we should be thankful we are even there.
KAB

Clarkston, GA

#8 Aug 3, 2011
They seem to pick and choose who they wait on. A friend and I were sitting at the bar and no one paid any attention to us. One of the staff sat down and was talking to customers. While we waited. Horrible service. Have no desire to go back.
been there

Cartersville, GA

#9 Aug 3, 2011
The story was a joke, try it if you want rude servers,over priced not very good food and there's nothing classy about it.
Miss Priss

Cartersville, GA

#10 Aug 3, 2011
Never been to the Loft. But have eaten at the Cellar several times. As a matter of fact was there last Friday night for drinks and dinner. Despite what M Man said, we all had wine in glass, stemmed wine glasses (maybe you looked clumsy). Our waitress was very friendly and the food was great. There were 4 adults and we were seated in a booth in the bar area. It was a bit noisy, but what do you expect from an undergound bar. It is what it is. I don't see that it is fine dining, but would consider it upscale bar food. The fish special Friday nite was very good and the salads were awesome. Fried pickles good too. It's nice to have something other than a chain to choose from in Cartersville.
Scrumpty

Cartersville, GA

#11 Aug 3, 2011
We couldn't agree more. 90% of chain restaurants BLOW..
M Man

Cartersville, GA

#12 Aug 3, 2011
The cellar does serve wine in glass, but the loft where I have gone for music, the members of our party that had wine were given solo plastic cups. So If you have never been to the loft then you would not have known what I was talking about. I also try to seek out places other than chains, I just don't feel this place is worth the money. I think the food is not that good really and it's over priced. But that's just me.
Miss Priss

Cartersville, GA

#13 Aug 3, 2011
M Man, oh I wish we had more restaurants. No more country cooking, no more BBQ, no more cheap frozen entrees. We go to kennesaw and Marietta a lot. Guess at the loft they think it might get wild and ya can't break a plastic cup over someone's head. But yeah they could get more creative with the plastic like they do at bars at the beach.
knows food

Cartersville, GA

#14 Aug 3, 2011
We went there. The food is ok for bar food. Service was friendly. The owner was nice too. Upstairs the entertainment was pretty good the night we went so no complaints about the $5. However, I can see where some of these comments are valid. It was noisy in the Cellar..too noisy to really talk but not much you can do about that. The owner does seem to have his ups and downs, but we understand that all too well because we've done the restaurant thing and it's very stressful and unpredictable. My guess as to the differences from opening until now is probably cash flow. It's probably not making the money anticipated (local restaurants NEVER do really) so probably they are using more pre-mixed, prepared food rather than a chef doing it all. Also, some employees may have moved on because they weren't getting the hours/money they expected and the rest are paid less, hence less experience, care and concern. This is not an excuse by any means, just a possible explanation. Restaurants are so expensive in overhead, it becomes very difficult to keep one running top end if it doesn't meet expectations right away. As far as the cover charge goes, the restaurant doesn't pay the entertainment so the only pay they get is the cover at the door. The restaurant doesn't get any of that. That's why it's $5 and not free. Entertainers want to be paid also and that's fair. So those that are well liked will build a following, hence more pay. Those not so good, well nada.
miss the pub

Rome, GA

#15 Aug 3, 2011
The owner is moody. The hats are cheesy. The waitresses are frumpy. The food has gone down hill since the tattooed guy left. I don't mind the wine in plastic cups, but I see how it could bother some people. All in all, it's become mediocre.
Former_Bouncer

Montgomery, AL

#16 Aug 4, 2011
knows food wrote:
We went there. The food is ok for bar food. Service was friendly. The owner was nice too. Upstairs the entertainment was pretty good the night we went so no complaints about the $5. However, I can see where some of these comments are valid. It was noisy in the Cellar..too noisy to really talk but not much you can do about that. The owner does seem to have his ups and downs, but we understand that all too well because we've done the restaurant thing and it's very stressful and unpredictable. My guess as to the differences from opening until now is probably cash flow. It's probably not making the money anticipated (local restaurants NEVER do really) so probably they are using more pre-mixed, prepared food rather than a chef doing it all. Also, some employees may have moved on because they weren't getting the hours/money they expected and the rest are paid less, hence less experience, care and concern. This is not an excuse by any means, just a possible explanation. Restaurants are so expensive in overhead, it becomes very difficult to keep one running top end if it doesn't meet expectations right away. As far as the cover charge goes, the restaurant doesn't pay the entertainment so the only pay they get is the cover at the door. The restaurant doesn't get any of that. That's why it's $5 and not free. Entertainers want to be paid also and that's fair. So those that are well liked will build a following, hence more pay. Those not so good, well nada.
Actually, Bob pays the DJ(not much from what I understand) and keeps the rest of the cover.
shot it

Monroe, GA

#17 Aug 4, 2011
Is this the place where a guy shot into the steps?
Shaneequa

Cartersville, GA

#18 Aug 4, 2011
shot it wrote:
Is this the place where a guy shot into the steps?
His load??
Lena

Canton, GA

#19 Aug 8, 2011
I could not be more shocked at all these comments. I thought everything was terrific from service to food quality! I have been several times and have always enjoyed. Bob is super funny. Far better then the drunk arguing divorcing owners of Appalacian Grill down the street. Still good for a last minute dinner and entertainment though.:)
Give it another try or walk your happy self down to the Tavern if you want overpriced ridiculous food and a drug induced staff that don't wash themselves.
shot it

Monroe, GA

#20 Aug 9, 2011
I hear they sell step vests there, too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicken Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Comfort-food restaurant Eagle Food & Beer Hall ... 35 min Posting as myself 3
News Veganism - doing the right thing (Jul '11) Jun 20 airoeds 964
News Is Pro-LGBTQ Chicken Shop ChkChk Better Than Ch... Jun 7 Patrick Rooney 3
News Menus: 5/22/2016 May '16 Cheddar Cheese 1
News Second Annual Santa Barbara Beach Ball to Featu... Apr '16 Lucy jane 1
News Review: Damascus is a simple and satisfying All... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Where to Get a Stunning Trinidadian Roti in Man... Mar '16 ANNMARIE 1
More from around the web