Your Town: Hospital workers union plans lawsuits to fight layoff plans

Full story: Monterey County Herald

Planned layoffs of about 80 union-represented workers at Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital has resulted in a pair of challenges.
Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Dec 21, 2010
VERITAS2010

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

It's important to note that SVMH made profits of more than $100 million over the past five years and held more than $70 million in cash and marketable securities as of june 30,2010. Despite this enormous profitability, the hospital is demanding significant cuts in staff as well as other reductions in caregivers employment standards. As indicated in its engagement letters with Wellsprings, SVMH intends to attack employees health insurance and pensions even as it refuses to respond forthrightly to our requests for information on these matters. In addition, the hospital has unilaterally changed the staffing acuity system on virtually every nursing floor and has changed caregivers schedules and work assignments without bargaining with the union and in conravention of state law. NUHW WE'RE UNITED
dogandponyshow29

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

Questions that should HONESTLY be answered and addressed by SVMH and government entities:

Why hasn't the Grand Jury, ACLU, EEOC and County investigate SVMH's layoff practices of this district hospital?

Why haven't the Engineers Union members been sent letters?

Does Mr. Downing and Ms. Ranzenbergers two children work for the Engineering Dept.?

Was Mr. Downing's son hired during a hiring freeze and ahead of experienced applicants?

Why is Mr. Downing's other son head of Internet and Email Security?

Why is Mr. Downing's son-in-law promoted to direct the hospital Security Department during this time?

Why did SVMH hire Salinas Valley Mammography's staff to thier payroll during a hiring freeze?

Is SVMH paying for physician malpractice insurance?

Why has Mr. Downing been allowed by the board of directors to repeatedly hire family members and personal friends into highly paid positions, with little to no experience? Why were and still are, many of these same friends and family members's college degrees paid for by SVMH when other long term deserving employees were denied professional development?

The connection between Mr. Downing named Man of the Year by the Salinas Chamber of Commerce and the immediate hiring of Ms. DiTullio, chamber president thereafter as a Director?

Why has hospital property been provided to various board members as office space; and also to two local news celebrities to run thier production company out of?

Why wasn't the W.A.R.N. act used for the first wave of reductions for the non-affiliates?

Will the Grand Jury or State officals interview those chose in the first waves of layoffs to see what they have in common? Was HIPPA violated in making these decisions? This could show how many were discriminated against. There are at least 3 glaring similiar factors for these employees.

Will someone investigate and interview the first sets of employees to show that they were not 100% VOLUNTARY layoffs. Many employees recieved REPEATED phone calls and pleas from Ms. Kern and Ms. Ranzenberger to volunteer, then later were told by these two women their jobs were "eliminated to help them make up the employee's mind". Would that be considered extortion and coercion? Also, many of the eliminated positions were refilled. How is that possible?

Explain to the public how the Administrative Teams "secretaries" are named "assistants" which protected them from the layoffs.

Why hasn't Ms. Lorenzi been held accountable for the way the insurance contracts have been handled?

Can someone publicly explain who really owns the Starbucks store at SVMH; who really owns the new Primecare building, etc...? Which realtor/developer handled these transactions?

Conflicts of interest: have all hospital and foundation board members publicly provide any business contracts and holdings with SVMHS,including Rabobank/Bank of Salinas' staff relationships to SVMH.

Why did SVMH fund WellSpring to clean house at Three (3) local hospitals: Natividad, Mee Memorial and now SVMH? Why are Wellspring employees hired at these hospitals while others are laid off?
Wrangler

Birds Landing, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

Have you ever seen a Union improve an organization? Me neither.

We decertified our union a few yewars ago with a 51% petition to our employer. Our wages and morale both went up and have stayed up. And no more big dues. Even the naysayers are happy now.
bigwigsSUck

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

Dogandpony show you are right on! And we all know all of that is TRUE!

As for some of the other people on this post and a few others.... The union is not saying there totaly against the layoffs. If they do them then do them LEGALLY! The union is backing the employees 100% and has many supporters so yes i think the union is helping! And those who disagree must be the BIG wigs or people who dont know the whole story! DO your research people before you open your BIG mouths!
VERITAS2010

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

dogandponyshow29 wrote:
Questions that should HONESTLY be answered and addressed by SVMH and government entities:
Why hasn't the Grand Jury, ACLU, EEOC and County investigate SVMH's layoff practices of this district hospital?
Why haven't the Engineers Union members been sent letters?
Does Mr. Downing and Ms. Ranzenbergers two children work for the Engineering Dept.?
Was Mr. Downing's son hired during a hiring freeze and ahead of experienced applicants?
Why is Mr. Downing's other son head of Internet and Email Security?
Why is Mr. Downing's son-in-law promoted to direct the hospital Security Department during this time?
Why did SVMH hire Salinas Valley Mammography's staff to thier payroll during a hiring freeze?
Is SVMH paying for physician malpractice insurance?
Why has Mr. Downing been allowed by the board of directors to repeatedly hire family members and personal friends into highly paid positions, with little to no experience? Why were and still are, many of these same friends and family members's college degrees paid for by SVMH when other long term deserving employees were denied professional development?
The connection between Mr. Downing named Man of the Year by the Salinas Chamber of Commerce and the immediate hiring of Ms. DiTullio, chamber president thereafter as a Director?
Why has hospital property been provided to various board members as office space; and also to two local news celebrities to run thier production company out of?
Why wasn't the W.A.R.N. act used for the first wave of reductions for the non-affiliates?
Will the Grand Jury or State officals interview those chose in the first waves of layoffs to see what they have in common? Was HIPPA violated in making these decisions? This could show how many were discriminated against. There are at least 3 glaring similiar factors for these employees.
Will someone investigate and interview the first sets of employees to show that they were not 100% VOLUNTARY layoffs. Many employees recieved REPEATED phone calls and pleas from Ms. Kern and Ms. Ranzenberger to volunteer, then later were told by these two women their jobs were "eliminated to help them make up the employee's mind". Would that be considered extortion and coercion? Also, many of the eliminated positions were refilled. How is that possible?
Explain to the public how the Administrative Teams "secretaries" are named "assistants" which protected them from the layoffs.
Why hasn't Ms. Lorenzi been held accountable for the way the insurance contracts have been handled?
Can someone publicly explain who really owns the Starbucks store at SVMH; who really owns the new Primecare building, etc...? Which realtor/developer handled these transactions?
Conflicts of interest: have all hospital and foundation board members publicly provide any business contracts and holdings with SVMHS,including Rabobank/Bank of Salinas' staff relationships to SVMH.
Why did SVMH fund WellSpring to clean house at Three (3) local hospitals: Natividad, Mee Memorial and now SVMH? Why are Wellspring employees hired at these hospitals while others are laid off?
If all this was investigated, people would be probably go to jail.
Waste Fraud And Abuse

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

Reply: Dog and Pony Show
I agree with you fully your comment on the management practices of SVMH. What I now suggest is that a letter of no confidence put together, be signed and submitted to the Board of Directors. Stating that the employees and citizens are dissatisfied with their performance as board members, and come clean on all past management practices of the SVMH. Remember that they are elected officials representing the publicís interests. The board runs the hospital, not the CEO, and the board has the responsibility to censor the CEO, and remove the CEO when misconduct is presented to the board and the public.
The Board of Directors needs to convene a closed door session without the CEO present to get back to the task of the peoples work, before the board themselves are involved in possible charges of misconduct?
guy54321

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

Seems to me healthcare workers are a bunch of over paid whiners... OMG 5% layoff during a recession! Try looking outside your healthcare bubble at the rest of us. Nursing is the single largest cost for any hospital, investigate their guaranteed pay increases over the past 10 years and keep in mind labor rates have been flat. Have nurse unions contributed to the now shocking cost of healthcare? YES
Wrangler

Birds Landing, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

If you are truly concerned about waste, you'll find plenty of it in Union work rules and restrictions regarding who can do what, and when. Seniority does not guarantee skill levels - only time spent on the payroll. True skills come from a blend of time, effort, and ability. Pure Seniority is a Quality Killer.
supporter2010

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

Okay Guy... when you or your family is hurt,sick, or on their death bed remember That when you call for help and nobody shows up to help you! Have a happy day :)
supporter2010

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

Okay wrangler.. your contradicting your self here. since u seem to know the answers can u tell me why people with 30 years are on the layoff list?
Wrangler

Birds Landing, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

supporter2010 wrote:
Okay Guy... when you or your family is hurt,sick, or on their death bed remember That when you call for help and nobody shows up to help you! Have a happy day :)
I love how Unionized workforces say they're the ONLY saviors of the sick and dying. Paying dues, picketing, and striking does not often improve Health Care Skills.
supporter2010

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

Wrangler wrote:
<quoted text>
I love how Unionized workforces say they're the ONLY saviors of the sick and dying. Paying dues, picketing, and striking does not often improve Health Care Skills.
No I agree with u they don't. But keeping their jobs does. The unnecessary layoffs don't improve healthcare skills either
Waste Fraud And Abuse

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

As facts, come to light, in regards to the issues at SVMH, let the facts show that itís not a labor issue, as it is a leadership issue of the board of directors, who control the direction of SVMH. The CEO is a paid employee, appointed by the board of directors. I think is a time for change with the current perception of leadership, at SVMH. Be it that the directors, and the CEO be removed, and misconduct falls where it may, or its time, for the board of directors to now, start doing the peoples work, and take the right and responsible action, and clean up the mess that will be forth coming.
Wrangler

Birds Landing, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

supporter2010 wrote:
<quoted text>
No I agree with u they don't. But keeping their jobs does. The unnecessary layoffs don't improve healthcare skills either
I think we could agree that skills are achieved through experience, efforts to learn, and efforts to achieve. Since the latter two are not seniority based, both young and old can be effective. If I'm in a hospital bed, I'll want a few seasoned staff who have "seen it all", and many young recent graduates who have the most updated tools and education. Union Seniority plays NO part in getting the best Healthcare.
supporter2010

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

Well as a nursing student I know first hand That we do learn and gain our experience from those so called seniority nurses u are talking about. Nursing is the same and always will be about caring and taking care of people and now with more technology nurses are needed even more.
But this is not just about the nursing staff. Its about everyone employed and has some part in caring for patients. If u agree with How svmh is handling with the situation then ur just like the CEO and don't care about anyone but the big fat dollar
supporter2010

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

And do u actually know any of thease employees who may lose their jobs and the ones who Have lost their jobs already in the last layoffs? I know several. And some who are the best workers and know there stuff better then anyone else I know. Now tell me why its okay That they are the ones who suffering when there are many newer nurses That are dumber then a rock and late every day but Just because they know and have connections with the big people on top their job is safe. Do you honestly think that's right?
Do The Right Thing

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

To: The Herald
Letís report the news, Monterey County: The Herald
Letís move beyond your news paper reporting one side of the news. Take the time and look into, and report the facts. Contact the NUHW and contact the board members of SVMH, and collected the facts, and report the outcome of your interviews. Let the truth be presented to the public in your news report, with both points of view.
I believe, that once you report the facts and the truth to this matter, the public and citizens of Monterey County will be shocked as to the extent of the waste, corruption, and fraud that has been covered up over the a great number of years. This hospital belongs to the citizens of Monterey County, not the power brokers that currently run and benefit from our misfortunesí.
Letís report the complete story so the staff of SVMH, can get back to helping the people of Monterey County. Do whatís right Herald!
ex driver

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

Add a Union to anything and it will turn sour. Just like ticks on a body, their time will pass. Eventually the host dies and the ticks move on to the next victim.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••