Persistent Bear Wants Candy; Tries To...

Persistent Bear Wants Candy; Tries To Take From 2-Year-Old - Regional News - Lehigh Valley Story ...

There are 47 comments on the WFMZ story from Jun 24, 2011, titled Persistent Bear Wants Candy; Tries To Take From 2-Year-Old - Regional News - Lehigh Valley Story .... In it, WFMZ reports that:

A persistent bear in the Poconos really wanted some candy Thursday. The critter approached a young child twice, while being shot at, to try and get a sweet treat.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Justa Mom

Hamburg, PA

#1 Jun 24, 2011
Possible game law violations? Doesn't anyone else think this guy should be commended for preventing harm to that little girl? Had he waited for police or a game commissioner to arrive something awful could have happened.

Let's also remember, in Reading "people" are shot at everyday without consequences.
pa rural

Hilltown, PA

#2 Jun 24, 2011
- and where were the parents of the children?
Who lets their kids continue to play when the bear is till around. That's where the violation lies-

Was this just someone's excuse to shoot a bear?
Future not so bright

Reading, PA

#3 Jun 24, 2011
I'm sure the bear was going after more than just candy... that man quite possibly save that little girl's life.
Patty M

East Greenville, PA

#4 Jun 24, 2011
If this man receives any type of violation, citation or fine it will be a crime! He has saved these children from possible injury or death !
Nazareth Firefighter

Nazareth, PA

#5 Jun 24, 2011
This dude should be arrested for pulling out a gun.
boo

Macungie, PA

#6 Jun 24, 2011
Instead of running into the house to get the gun, he should of grabbed the girl. For the time it took him to run into the house to get the gun, the bear could of got her! Duh!!! What a moron!
Loser

Macungie, PA

#7 Jun 24, 2011
Are you being serious?? I can't tell. When you live in that area, there are ALWAYS bears in the area. An excuse to shoot a bear?? Again, are you serious? He fired into the ground twice. He had a pistol and if you shoot a bear with a pistol, most of the times, you are only going to irritate the bear and not kill it. You must be from the city because you obviously don't know anything about bears or guns. OBVIOUSLY the parents were within a reasonable distance or they would not have heard the kids screaming. Walk around Allentown to look how many kids are wondering around. There are shootings in Allentown all the time so I guess the kids should not be allowed outside in that kind of dangerous environment.
pa rural wrote:
- and where were the parents of the children?
Who lets their kids continue to play when the bear is till around. That's where the violation lies-
Was this just someone's excuse to shoot a bear?
WorkinGirl

Elverson, PA

#8 Jun 24, 2011
I think this man should definitely be commended for being so quick to think how to react with a bear and children. There should be no Game Violations! This could have turned out very tragic if this man hadn't been there to help the kids.
willyb

Easton, PA

#9 Jun 24, 2011
WHAT? what violation he was defending the kids they need to go look for that bear and site him for the violation, anything to get money out of someone
Me oh MY

Harrisburg, PA

#10 Jun 24, 2011
the problem is these animals are hungry. They get a taste of human food and want more. It's not good for them or us either way. I hope the bear stays away for good or it risk being shot, which is a shame because it knows no better, it just wants to eat.
crankyoldbat

Hamburg, PA

#11 Jun 24, 2011
He is guilty, he used the little girl and candy to bait the bear in then shot at it tring to give it a heart attack, when that didn't work he shot it. Just pay the fine so the game warden will have some extra cash.
willyb

Easton, PA

#12 Jun 24, 2011
Loser wrote:
Are you being serious?? I can't tell. When you live in that area, there are ALWAYS bears in the area. An excuse to shoot a bear?? Again, are you serious? He fired into the ground twice. He had a pistol and if you shoot a bear with a pistol, most of the times, you are only going to irritate the bear and not kill it. You must be from the city because you obviously don't know anything about bears or guns. OBVIOUSLY the parents were within a reasonable distance or they would not have heard the kids screaming. Walk around Allentown to look how many kids are wondering around. There are shootings in Allentown all the time so I guess the kids should not be allowed outside in that kind of dangerous environment.
<quoted text>
i totally agree with you on this if anyone knows about bears 99% of the time you shoot a gun around a bear it is going to run for the hills, who would have thought it would return just as there is a shooting in allentown the kids are playing on the same street 30 minutes after the shootings so why should these kids have to stay inside at least the man had sence to stay ready if something did happen and in this instance it did , just as the parent in the city, just because something happens your not going to lock your kids up your just going to be more aware and watch them. this man should not have to pay a fine for saving this girl
pa rural

Hilltown, PA

#13 Jun 24, 2011
..jus sayin it would have been far safer and easier to get the kids in the house and call the police or game commission to handle the situation. Maybe we need to stop developing housing tracts in the bears habitat?
Pa resident

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#14 Jun 24, 2011
Get rid of the Pa gaming commission. This is a joke, the guy saved the little girl. Game violation laws, you have got to be kidding.
Since when do we put animals ahead of children.
pacitizen

Whitehouse Station, NJ

#15 Jun 24, 2011
crankyoldbat wrote:
He is guilty, he used the little girl and candy to bait the bear in then shot at it tring to give it a heart attack, when that didn't work he shot it. Just pay the fine so the game warden will have some extra cash.
LMAO!!!!!
Judi from Bethlehem

Bethlehem, PA

#16 Jun 24, 2011
Ok, so let's run the scenario the way half the pinheads here suggest.

All the adults come running to grab the kids, everyone starts screaming and running for the hills. Isn't that exactly what you AREN'T supposed to do when being approached by a bear? I seem to remember that you're supposed to back away slowly. Try doing that with a bunch of kids. Hey, there's a thought. How about all you "know it alls" show us how it should be done. We'll load you up with candy and see how it goes.

I don't know about you but if my kid was being approached by a bear I would certainly hope my neighbor had a shotgun!

Anyone who thinks protecting a bear is more important than a child, doesn't deserve to walk this earth.
Berks County

Birdsboro, PA

#17 Jun 24, 2011
Maybe we can get one of our state reps to propose a bill to ban bears like they did the bath salts . . .
pa rural

Hilltown, PA

#18 Jun 24, 2011
..ya ain't gonna kill a bear with a hand gun city slickers. The bear obviously did not have a problem with the pistol and came back. What would have happened if the bear charged the humans?
K-town

Emmaus, PA

#19 Jun 24, 2011
My only concern is that he shot directly at the bear, which turned it away (thank goodness) but it could have ticked the bear off enough to charge the kids. I am glad that the man was there and that it turned out the way it did. It is a scary situation all around.
Mark C

Whitehall, PA

#20 Jun 24, 2011
Well go figure, someone defends another person, right away law enforcement want to find away to charge someone. Whats next. This country of ours is going to shame, so much BS around, you cant even defend whats yours, without taking the chance on being prosecuted for something

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Candy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Your chocolate bunny will cost more a " next year Jun 14 no worries 2
News Sweden bans M&Ms in chocolate trademark dispute Jun 8 Rev Don Wildmoan 2
Does anyone have info on this seemingly non-exi... Jun 8 SugarJonsPlease 1
News Unemployed man asks Paul Ryan about jobs, Ryan ... (Oct '12) Jun 7 Apaui12 10
News Make Your Own Flavor At Cold Stone Creamery (Jul '07) May '16 Sandie Francis 3
News Lights of the Season (Dec '07) Apr '16 Irvine 204 2
Where to find peach Jolly Ranchers? (Aug '11) Apr '16 bowman0068 83
More from around the web