Restaurant Leftovers Will Now Feed Hu...

Restaurant Leftovers Will Now Feed Hungry

There are 17 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Apr 25, 2008, titled Restaurant Leftovers Will Now Feed Hungry. In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

Talk Back: Post a comment on this article By Ashley Coleman First Coast News JACKSONVILLE, FL -- On the days that the mouth-watering carrot cake, cherry turnovers and black and white cookies don't sell at ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

Since: Apr 08

Jacksonville, FL

#1 Apr 25, 2008
Sounds good in theory. I have to be a little skeptical about them being granted immunity. So they can donate completely spoiled junk and there will be nothing that can be done. I am glad to see that people that need food can get it. I just hope the hospitals are not overrun by people needing their stomach pumped.
William

Denver, NC

#2 Apr 25, 2008
Sounds like a good law...give it a chance.
what

Saint Augustine, FL

#3 Apr 25, 2008
probably 1000 percent better than some of the mess they eat on street and out of garbage... good law,, am sure what woreman has is better than the mission makes...
amanda

Jacksonville, FL

#5 Apr 25, 2008
It's about time :)Hopefully they'll be responsible and not donate spoiled food.
herpet

Jacksonville, FL

#7 Apr 25, 2008
It's about time.
Statistics

Niceville, FL

#8 Apr 25, 2008
It is a law with good intentions for a change. However the case of dumping rotten food may be a factor in how well the law works. Did someone say tax break for charitable contributions?
SayNo2TNB

United States

#9 Apr 25, 2008
This has been tried elsewhere, it won't work. Too many lawsuits.
The "liberals" would rather that the poor get their grub from dumpsters.
bluto

United States

#10 Apr 25, 2008
Wormans donating bakery goods. Now that's nutritious!!!
just sayin

Jacksonville, FL

#12 Apr 25, 2008
As someone who has been hungry - not all hungry or homeless people are worthless human junk.
Sometimes a person can be in dire circumstances - sometimes it's their fault - sometimes not. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be helped.
Just because food doesn't get sold the day it's made - doesn't mean it's spoiled. If you bought the cookies or cakes or whatever - they would maybe sit around your house a few days before you finished consuming them. It IS a shame to waste food when there are people out there who are hungry. This is a wonderful idea!!
Hey Hey Paula

Jacksonville, FL

#13 Apr 25, 2008
So because a person is homeless and hungry they should not be able to enjoy a cookie or some cake? Maybe they might be able to have special treat on occassion? With your line of thinking I guess not. Someone wants to donate bakery goods rather than dump them in the trash. A person down on their luck would like to enjoy a treat. I say no harm no foul.

“Jesus Loves You! :)”

Since: Nov 07

Jacksonville

#14 Apr 25, 2008
I think this is a great gesture of kindness! It's about time the government stepped in and lifted some of the silly statutes. I guess they have their places, but when people are going hungry, day old pastries are not going to hurt them, in fact, it might give someone the boost they need to make it through another day!
SayNo2TNB

United States

#15 Apr 25, 2008
just sayin wrote:
As someone who has been hungry - not all hungry or homeless people are worthless human junk.
Sometimes a person can be in dire circumstances - sometimes it's their fault - sometimes not. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be helped.
Just because food doesn't get sold the day it's made - doesn't mean it's spoiled. If you bought the cookies or cakes or whatever - they would maybe sit around your house a few days before you finished consuming them. It IS a shame to waste food when there are people out there who are hungry. This is a wonderful idea!!
I agree with you 100%.
But the facts are that this idea has been tried elsewhere, including Minnesota, and the liberals filed lawsuits so fast that those who tried to help are now paying legal fees up the wazoo and probably near homelessness themselves.
The clear message from the ACLU and other "liberal" groups is that you help the homeless at your own legal peril, you could lose your business, your house and property, and wind up in divorce court because you tried to help someone.
It's far safer not to. Let the government demonstrate their expertise at "helping" everyone.
I won't make the mistake of going out of my way to help someone again, what a horrible ignorant mistake. You have to set up a non-profit with the Sec. of State of your state and and have an army of lawyers.
It's just not worth it.
The liberals have it all set up so that EVERYONE shall be equal under misery scrounging for scraps in a destroyed economy.
WTG, efftards.
Duke

Jacksonville, FL

#16 Apr 26, 2008
This is not new, other states use the same process, its called "Meals on wheels". way to get in line florida and use our available resources instead of my tax dollars to feed the homeless and less fortunate.
conspiracy theory

High Springs, FL

#17 Apr 26, 2008
Where are the homeless going to eat now , no dumpster diving ?
ugh

Pontiac, MI

#18 Apr 26, 2008
I've purchased baked goods from Worman's--- and they were dried out and already tasted OLD. I can just imagine the rock hard goodies they are going to donate. Fossilized turnovers and bear claws.
William

Denver, NC

#19 Apr 26, 2008
SayNo2TNB wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with you 100%.
But the facts are that this idea has been tried elsewhere, including Minnesota, and the liberals filed lawsuits so fast that those who tried to help are now paying legal fees up the wazoo and probably near homelessness themselves.
The clear message from the ACLU and other "liberal" groups is that you help the homeless at your own legal peril, you could lose your business, your house and property, and wind up in divorce court because you tried to help someone.
It's far safer not to. Let the government demonstrate their expertise at "helping" everyone.
I won't make the mistake of going out of my way to help someone again, what a horrible ignorant mistake. You have to set up a non-profit with the Sec. of State of your state and and have an army of lawyers.
It's just not worth it.
The liberals have it all set up so that EVERYONE shall be equal under misery scrounging for scraps in a destroyed economy.
WTG, efftards.
Why is this a political issue? This is just an idea to see if it works. Maybe it won't.
Minnesota has nothing in common with Florida.
Our left over food is much better than Minnesota's finest.
dHat Pawlo

Calgary, Canada

#20 May 23, 2008
..wow..vow..yes...good..thanky ous' all.god bless.....eh...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Allentown's Udder Bar offers ice cream, gourmet... 18 hr silly rabbit 10
News 10 made-in-Manitoba gifts for Mother's Day May 12 PILASTER in COSTA... 1
News The best Central Austin dates spots for happy h... Apr '17 HappyPhart 1
News Want a summer job at the Shore? It definitely h... Apr '17 Josh 1
News Chocolate lovers are only just realising why Ki... Feb '17 Spotted Girl 1
News The Winners of 2017 Rodeo Houston's Uncorked! B... Feb '17 WinnersPhartss 1
News Marshmallow? Matcha? Boudin? A look at offbeat ... Jan '17 Christsharians on... 1
More from around the web