Bill Kurtis selling part of ranch near Sedan

Apr 13, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Albany Times Union

Journalist and television personality Bill Kurtis says the recession and accumulated debt have forced him to put nearly half his Red Buffalo Ranch in the Flint Hills of southeast Kansas up for sale.

Comments
21 - 39 of 39 Comments Last updated Jun 13, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
kid diablo

Sedan, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2012

Judged:

do you know how many people & families that have been helped out by bill kurtis just being here you will not waste the electric bill that u sent negative inaccurate info on. save your computer turn it off,
Littleoleme

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

Judged:

Hey, I love Bill! This is funny, watch it.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/274162/saturday-nig...
Sedan

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

LoL, you small town folks crack me up.
Not fair game

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

Bill (Hort) Kurtis is a man of honor who has never wronged anybody.
Doris

Pittsburg, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2012

Anyone know how the auction turned out? Was the ranch sold? If so, to whom? Thanks!
waistgunner

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

Judged:

TexasLiving wrote:
He's not a fool. He was trying to help the community.
I'd say that he was acting out of enlightened self interest which I can't argue with. He's a business man and he made some business decisions that circumstances have shown to not be profitable and now like any other business Mr Kurtis has to reassess and regroup. I don't see him as an "evil " man . He was merely trying to make a place that he enjoyed be profitable as well.
YOU SAID IT

Caney, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2012

Judged:

The Package wrote:
"Ben Franklin", "Gramps", "Texas
Living", "Redman", "Random" and to the greatest extent, "Wow" you are all correct.
"INDY DICK" your moma named you right.
"Two Bit" your info is also uninformed, Mr Kurtis did not buy a "couple" He bought HALF of the salvagable buildings downtown to try and breath a little life into what he saw as a noble cause. "Slapping paint on and taking a tax dedution" isnt really the way it works.
The only one that MIGHT HAVE quailified for any tax break,,would be the Kurtis ARTS Plaza, and that seems to have worked out better for Sedan than for Mr Kurtis.
I have been to Chicago with Bill, and been pulled over by Cops that just want an autograph for their mom, Ive seen him pose for pictures, with street people in San Fran and New Orleans that YOU, im sure, would be too scared to even say "hello" to,, always shaking their hands and sending them off 20 bucks heavier. I have seen random people, from Kansas City to Tulsa come up and thank him, for saving their families LIVES, in some cases THEIR LIFE during the Big Topeka storm. "Bill" Thats what 2,655,000 people in Chicago call him, so for you to suggest that he was pandering for some kind of big "THANK YOU" is almost laughable.(you seem to think he expects it from you)
As far as employees stealing thousands a week..you sound pretty close to the action,, I hope your new job is working out!
"2 CENTS" Ahh my favorite,, you clearly do not know Ms Kurtis.
I've heard , CRAZY, BULLY, DOG KILLER, ARSONIST, TRIGGER HAPPY, DRUG RUNNER, WIFE BEATER, GOLD DIGGER, CHILD ABUSER, and CAT KICKER but "WORTHLESS"??? How could that be? With all the money Jack, Mary and Dave stole,, how could he be worthless?
Very true, well said! He's a good man with good intentions and clearly trusted the wrong people!
nils01

Niles, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2013

I personally can state that Bill Kurtis was not a good father. He did not care for his son or daughter well when they were growing up, as his focus was on getting ahead in journalism. I knew Scott, met Mary a few times, and both were addicts left in "paid for" apartments to fend for themselves without a father figure after their mother died. Kurtis basically ignored his son and all the problems he had in his life, paid the rent for him, and did nothing until he started getting into legal trouble. His answer to that was to seclude him at his KS ranch and make his sister his caretaker. That way, no smudges on his public image/career.
While this does not necessarily constitute bad business sense, it does display lack of caring about anything other than the surfacy ego things associated with celebrity. With that comes working with people who want money off you and putting trust in often trustworthy individuals because you are focused on the celebrity and looking good, doing good "deeds" publicly and not the actual investment. You put the actual work in the hands of others, and in his case, the others ran it to the ground.
For those who think Kurtis was "taken", I doubt it.
His priorities were never towards business, and for him it's a write-off either way.
The previous post regarding Kurtis being pulled over by Chicago cops for autographs says it all. Kurtis fancies himself as a celebrity, an important Chicago icon. What he is, is a journalist with a good voice. That is what Kurtis worked toward, getting his face and voice noticed, and attaining fame. Fortune usually follows, but only when you are intligent and focused.
Any monkey with charisma can get on tv and read/tell a story. That hardly makes them an intelligent, business-oriented person.
Kurtis, imho, should focus on what he has left, his daughter, instead of doing what he always has, trying to move up more in any realm.
Rancher

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2013

anyone know what that land has sold for / acre so far ??
Nate Higar

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2013

Yep, $5,000 an acre. Some big ranch in Texas bought it, lock, stock and barrels. Heard they bought livestock separately.
eight

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

nils01 wrote:
I personally can state that Bill Kurtis was not a good father. He did not care for his son or daughter well when they were growing up, as his focus was on getting ahead in journalism. I knew Scott, met Mary a few times, and both were addicts left in "paid for" apartments to fend for themselves without a father figure after their mother died. Kurtis basically ignored his son and all the problems he had in his life, paid the rent for him, and did nothing until he started getting into legal trouble. His answer to that was to seclude him at his KS ranch and make his sister his caretaker. That way, no smudges on his public image/career.
While this does not necessarily constitute bad business sense, it does display lack of caring about anything other than the surfacy ego things associated with celebrity. With that comes working with people who want money off you and putting trust in often trustworthy individuals because you are focused on the celebrity and looking good, doing good "deeds" publicly and not the actual investment. You put the actual work in the hands of others, and in his case, the others ran it to the ground.
His priorities were never towards business, and for him it's a write-off either way.
The previous post regarding Kurtis being pulled over by Chicago cops for autographs says it all. Kurtis fancies himself as a celebrity, an important Chicago icon. What he is, is a journalist with a good voice. That is what Kurtis worked toward, getting his face and voice noticed, and attaining fame. Fortune usually follows, but only when you are intligent and focused.
Any monkey with charisma can get on tv and read/tell a story. That hardly makes them an intelligent, business-oriented person.
Kurtis, imho, should focus on what he has left, his daughter, instead of doing what he always has, trying to move up more in any realm.
You pretty well hit it all. Might add one more tid bit. Brought his high end lady friend to Neewolah one time and she thought she had fallen off the face of the planet into hell. Never came back.
Curtis is/was probably a decent man but that old saying about never going back home may apply.
WTF

Sedan, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

Judged:

Sedan was just a place for him to hide his PROBLEM kids
John

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

Judged:

nils01 wrote:
The kids need to stand on there own 2 legs.How long should a parent keep pulling there tails out of the fire.If he keeps bailing them out of trouble when or how where they learn to be on there own.Them being addicts is of there own doing.I will bet he would have payed for a rehab for them.
You know..

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2013

John wrote:
<quoted text>The kids need to stand on there own 2 legs.How long should a parent keep pulling there tails out of the fire.If he keeps bailing them out of trouble when or how where they learn to be on there own.Them being addicts is of there own doing.I will bet he would have payed for a rehab for them.
I'll help you become a little more understandable, which seems to be a problem with this illiterate town. I will now demonstrate how to properly write a paragraph, and I quote:

"The kids need to stand on THEIR own TWO FEET. How long should a parent keep pulling THEIR tails out of the fire? If he keeps bailing them out of trouble, when or how WILL they learn to be on THEIR own? THEY being addicts is of THEIR own doing. I will bet he would have PAID for rehab for them."

I have added proper grammar where needed and have used the space bar appropriately. I also changed numerous words to the proper one, and have corrected your miss-spellings.

Now, since you obviously don't know the difference between "There" and "Their" and probably "They're", I will tell you how to use them. Let's start with "There". It is used to show a place/spot, not a person. "Their" shows possession, such as "Their dog is cute." It's their dog, they own it. And for the last one; "They're". You use this in an instance such as; "They're going to town." It is simply a combination of "They" and "Are".

Now that you have finally been taught something the proper way, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't get on your computer in your trailer house and bad talk people while sitting on your butt not doing anything productive. It shows just how cowardly you are.

Just because someone has a better education than you (or at the least chooses to use it), does not mean that you have to be jealous and put them down.

Have you had enough yet? I can keep going on if not. By the way, you people aren't as intimidating as you think you are. All that you are is a bunch of "Walkers", kind of like from "The Walking Dead". Just a bunch of dead-beats that don't care for a good cause.

P.S.- Stop staring. It makes people think you are simple minded... Oh wait, you are.
John

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2013

[QUOTE who="You know.."]<quoted text>
I'll help you become a little more understandable, which seems to be a problem with this illiterate town. I will now demonstrate how to properly write a paragraph, and I quote:
"The kids need to stand on THEIR own TWO FEET. How long should a parent keep pulling THEIR tails out of the fire? If he keeps bailing them out of trouble, when or how WILL they learn to be on THEIR own? THEY being addicts is of THEIR own doing. I will bet he would have PAID for rehab for them."
I have added proper grammar where needed and have used the space bar appropriately. I also changed numerous words to the proper one, and have corrected your miss-spellings.
Now, since you obviously don't know the difference between "There" and "Their" and probably "They're", I will tell you how to use them. Let's start with "There". It is used to show a place/spot, not a person. "Their" shows possession, such as "Their dog is cute." It's their dog, they own it. And for the last one; "They're". You use this in an instance such as; "They're going to town." It is simply a combination of "They" and "Are".
Now that you have finally been taught something the proper way, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't get on your computer in your trailer house and bad talk people while sitting on your butt not doing anything productive. It shows just how cowardly you are.
Just because someone has a better education than you (or at the least chooses to use it), does not mean that you have to be jealous and put them down.
Have you had enough yet? I can keep going on if not. By the way, you people aren't as intimidating as you think you are. All that you are is a bunch of "Walkers", kind of like from "The Walking Dead". Just a bunch of dead-beats that don't care for a good cause.
P.S.- Stop staring. It makes people think you are simple minded... Oh wait, you are.[/QUOTE]
You know I am just a dummy I guess so I will make this plain the dumb ass kids if they are on dope then it is there own fault not his.Now I will type it just for you ahole..........
YouknowIamjustadummyIguesssoIw illmakethisplainthedumbassifth eyareon dopethenitisthereownfaultnothi s
whats up

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2013

Judged:

John wrote:
<quoted text>The kids need to stand on there own 2 legs.How long should a parent keep pulling there tails out of the fire.If he keeps bailing them out of trouble when or how where they learn to be on there own.Them being addicts is of there own doing.I will bet he would have payed for a rehab for them.
I have been friends with Mary for many years she is a good person, she does alot for Sedan. I'm sure if she ever needed rehab Bill would have paid for it but that has never been an issue. To bad you don't have someone to pay for you to go to prep school maybe you could learn some manners. Like don't talk shit on people you don't know anything about.
You know..

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2013

John wrote:
P.S.- Stop staring. It makes people think you are simple minded... Oh wait, you are. "

You know I am just a dummy I guess so I will make this plain the dumb ass kids if they are on dope then it is there own fault not his.Now I will type it just for you ahole..........
YouknowIamjustadummyIguesssoIw illmakethisplainthedumbassifth eyareon dopethenitisthereownfaultnothi s
What someone does is their business. It's simple as that, and I bet they didn't get all up in your business about whatever you do. Of course, you are just an ignorant, nosey, "Walker".
John

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2013

What someone does is their business. It's simple as that, and I bet they didn't get all up in your business about whatever you do. Of course, you are just an ignorant, nosey, "Walker".[/QUOTE]

Just like you. lol
You know..

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

John wrote:
What someone does is their business. It's simple as that, and I bet they didn't get all up in your business about whatever you do. Of course, you are just an ignorant, nosey, "Walker". "

Just like you. lol
How would that be?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Beef Discussions

Search the Beef Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Why is fresh ground beef sometimes brown in the... (Aug '06) 13 hr paulpc74 57
TB epidemic 'will send cost of beef and milk ro... Jul 16 moo 1
Grass Fed Beef Jul 15 LocavoreT 1
Popeye's Chop House: Take a drive to rustic St.... (Jun '07) Jul 11 Hoosierdaddy 40
Suspected mad cow disease found in Romanian beef Jul 3 Purely Canadian 1
Proposed meat processing plant could bring 65 j... (Aug '13) Jul 2 Valley Hoe 70
Mad Cow Case Found in Alabama (Mar '06) Jun '14 Jim the Hoax Denier 30
•••
•••