Bill Kurtis selling part of ranch near Sedan

Apr 13, 2012 Full story: Albany Times Union 39

Journalist and television personality Bill Kurtis says the recession and accumulated debt have forced him to put nearly half his Red Buffalo Ranch in the Flint Hills of southeast Kansas up for sale.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ben Franklin

Independence, KS

#1 Apr 27, 2012
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Since: Apr 12

Independence, KS

#2 Apr 27, 2012
How do you know he's a fool? I imagine he has a pretty good lifestyle.
Ben Franklin

Independence, KS

#3 Apr 27, 2012
gramps11 wrote:
How do you know he's a fool? I imagine he has a pretty good lifestyle.
He was a fool to sink money into the Sedan area, a fool to sink money into downtown Independence and a fool not to bale out sooner.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#4 Apr 27, 2012
He's not a fool. He was trying to help the community.

Since: Oct 10

Independence, Kansas

#5 Apr 27, 2012
TexasLiving wrote:
Don't kid yourself, he was in it to make a buck just like anyone else would.
Redmen

Tulsa, OK

#6 Apr 30, 2012
Indy_Dick wrote:
<quoted text>Don't kid yourself, he was in it to make a buck just like anyone else would.
Not all people who fairly famous and wealthy are a$$holes , some around like Kurtis who actually cared about Sedan and wanted to help since he grew up in this area,it's fools like you who when you open your mouth remove all doubt.
Thing is he couldn't help Sedan all on his own and how many other's stepped up to help .....NOBODY ??????
I see where the pop.is now about 1,124 when I lived there it was about 1,800 a loss of about 700 people......SAD !!!!!
screwed by family

Austin, TX

#7 May 7, 2012
jack horton screwd him out of his money for 10 years.
Thats why the ranch is for sale

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#8 May 8, 2012
I've met Bill Kurtis. Nice guy who made bad business decisions. More to the point, he made bad business PARTNER decisions. Sad, because it seemed he really did want to help the area he came from. Look at his radio stations. He's on the hook for 3+ million dollars. For a little station in Indy? I heard the guy he was working with made horrible decisions and spent money like a drunken sailor. Point is, Bill Kurtis has an undeserved bad rep. He was a local boy who made good, tried to come back and help and was punished for it.
twv

Roswell, GA

#9 May 8, 2012
screwed by family wrote:
jack horton screwd him out of his money for 10 years.
Thats why the ranch is for sale
Jack Horton did not screw anyone, never has or never would. I grew up with Jack and Patti and I truley can say I have never met better people. Jack and his entire family are wonderful people, for you to even suggest such a thing, can only mean that you do not know them, or you are just a jealous person with a lot of hate.
sekguy

Wichita, KS

#10 May 8, 2012
twv wrote:
<quoted text>
Jack Horton did not screw anyone, never has or never would. I grew up with Jack and Patti and I truley can say I have never met better people. Jack and his entire family are wonderful people, for you to even suggest such a thing, can only mean that you do not know them, or you are just a jealous person with a lot of hate.
All so very, very true. Great families all of them. Kurtis certainly new the Hortons well, since they are first cousins.
question

Independence, KS

#11 May 8, 2012
Random Internet User wrote:
I've met Bill Kurtis. Nice guy who made bad business decisions. More to the point, he made bad business PARTNER decisions. Sad, because it seemed he really did want to help the area he came from. Look at his radio stations. He's on the hook for 3+ million dollars. For a little station in Indy? I heard the guy he was working with made horrible decisions and spent money like a drunken sailor. Point is, Bill Kurtis has an undeserved bad rep. He was a local boy who made good, tried to come back and help and was punished for it.
When you allege "the guy he was working with made ..." do you actually mean a man and woman who were at that time married?

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#12 May 8, 2012
question wrote:
<quoted text>
When you allege "the guy he was working with made ..." do you actually mean a man and woman who were at that time married?
Nope. I don't know anything about them. I'm just going on what has been published as public record. I believe this person in question was a partner after the married couple and Bill were done with each other. Plenty has been published about the troubles he has had with his broadcasting company. Filings are made public. I just happened to read them.
question

Independence, KS

#13 May 8, 2012
Random Internet User wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. I don't know anything about them. I'm just going on what has been published as public record. I believe this person in question was a partner after the married couple and Bill were done with each other. Plenty has been published about the troubles he has had with his broadcasting company. Filings are made public. I just happened to read them.
Thanks for clearing up the matter.

Since: Apr 12

Independence, KS

#14 May 8, 2012
Well now, it's really nobody's business but his, is it?
wow

Wichita, KS

#15 May 9, 2012
TexasLiving wrote:
A community that won't help itself....
2 Bits

Wichita, KS

#16 May 9, 2012
Helping Sedan, Bull crap!
He bought a few old building's, slapped some paint on them and wanted a big thank you for saving Sedan!
It was a tax write off for him and that's it.
I will admit however that he did have some of his employee's ripping him off big time for thousands a month. But what can you expect when you start a business (Tallgrass Beef) and don't manage it and baby it to get it going.
2 cents

Peru, KS

#17 May 10, 2012
Well he can't bank on his daughter and that worthless boyfriend to do any good for him. They have run it in the ground and stole from him. But she is family and he is the pkg that comes with it.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#18 May 10, 2012
Grow up and stop posting sh*t on here. Go say it to their faces! If you have a problem then go and take it up with the person/s that is/are causing it. So in other words "Grow A Pair And Stop Being A Pusśy About It".
Midas

Independence, KS

#19 May 12, 2012
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
A community that won't help itself....
Because Kurtis chose to make bad investments doesn't mean that the community had an obligation to do the same. That wouldn't have been "helping." That would have been economic suicide.
The Package

Peru, KS

#20 May 15, 2012
"Ben Franklin", "Gramps", "Texas
Living", "Redman", "Random" and to the greatest extent, "Wow" you are all correct.
"INDY DICK" your moma named you right.
"Two Bit" your info is also uninformed, Mr Kurtis did not buy a "couple" He bought HALF of the salvagable buildings downtown to try and breath a little life into what he saw as a noble cause. "Slapping paint on and taking a tax dedution" isnt really the way it works.
The only one that MIGHT HAVE quailified for any tax break,,would be the Kurtis ARTS Plaza, and that seems to have worked out better for Sedan than for Mr Kurtis.
I have been to Chicago with Bill, and been pulled over by Cops that just want an autograph for their mom, Ive seen him pose for pictures, with street people in San Fran and New Orleans that YOU, im sure, would be too scared to even say "hello" to,, always shaking their hands and sending them off 20 bucks heavier. I have seen random people, from Kansas City to Tulsa come up and thank him, for saving their families LIVES, in some cases THEIR LIFE during the Big Topeka storm. "Bill" Thats what 2,655,000 people in Chicago call him, so for you to suggest that he was pandering for some kind of big "THANK YOU" is almost laughable.(you seem to think he expects it from you)
As far as employees stealing thousands a week..you sound pretty close to the action,, I hope your new job is working out!
"2 CENTS" Ahh my favorite,, you clearly do not know Ms Kurtis.
I've heard , CRAZY, BULLY, DOG KILLER, ARSONIST, TRIGGER HAPPY, DRUG RUNNER, WIFE BEATER, GOLD DIGGER, CHILD ABUSER, and CAT KICKER but "WORTHLESS"??? How could that be? With all the money Jack, Mary and Dave stole,, how could he be worthless?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beef Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hardee's Sandwich Piles Meat On More Meat (Apr '06) Sep 28 jeffery luise 40
Ay Chiwowa's new menu from Chef Kevin Hickey Sep '14 Anonymous 1
Politics and steak on the menu in Iowa Sep '14 WelbyMD 2
Why is fresh ground beef sometimes brown in the... (Aug '06) Sep '14 rcoyne 58
Hope Acres Dairy Farm shuts down (Jan '09) Sep '14 Andy B 13
Volunteers needed for Smokin' JazzVolunteers ne... Aug '14 gcbakop 1
World's most expensive hot dog costs $169 Aug '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1

Beef People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE