|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2012

iratation wrote:
<quoted text>
ya i work at a hy-vee meat dept. and often get that question. i have even had people that come in and say they used to work in a packing and the meat was never like that. and they dont want the dark stuff cuz it taste different BS!! 1) in a packingplant the cow just is getting killed not to mension some of the meat will still be a little dark cuz there is blood with no oxygen in some parts of the body. when it all comes down to it people think it is some conspiricy. and most r completely ignerent in the subject, even though life science in high school explains it all. dedede get a clue
LMAO IGNERENT!!!!
Woozie

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Go to Whole Foods no brown in the middle, grind yourn round steak or chuck roast no brown in the middle, go to a meat market pick some beef and have them grind it no brown in the middle. Go to Safeway, Kroger, Costco, Walmart and believe their BS about brown meat being okay. IT IS OLD MEAT. Take a minute spend a buck or two more and enjoy America's favorite and don't get sick or worry about getting sick.
marylou 178

Boise, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

I butchered my own grass fed beef for years. Our meat never turned brown. We butchered it in the winter and it would be left on tables in an unheated building so the temp. was around freezing inside the unheated building. We would process the meat in usually a day. We'd package immediately after being cut, and put it in the freezer. Our meat never turned brown. Even after being frozen for a couple of years. Try it sometime. See how long it takes hamburger to turn brown, then smell it. I'd rather buy a roast and grind the hamb myself than buy it brown in the center.
owlalise

Evergreen, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

I'm 57 years old and have eaten a few hamburgers in my time-----meat didn't used to be brown on the inside!
If you smell closely, it doesn't smell like meat nor look like meat either. Sort of like rice or soybean I suspect.
If you buy in the plastic 1 lb. rolls (Black Canyon), it isn't brown, it's red through and through. Taste better too.
ericv

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

if ground beef is naturally dark inside, what additive keeps it bright red inside and why is the additive not listed by the seller ?
how to age beef : if you have a frost-free refrigerator, unwrap the meat, cover it loosely with parchement paper ("waxed" if you do not mind the silicone), put it on a cookie rack and let the fridge do the rest . turn the meat over once in a while to avoid any slimy growth . the meat will dry out some, nothing wrong with that. to rehydrate, just marinate in your favorite marinade. warning : if you are not used to aged meat, it will smell, feel and taste different. as long as there is no slime or mold, and cooked properly, it will be allright. the dryer meat need more moisture or fatty media (oil,butter,...) and closere watching to avoid over-cooking . enjoy.
roy bradley upland

Hesperia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

some one is lying about the darkness of the hamburger i just do not no who the S. B. is.
Dee

Roswell, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

It is because they are grinding old that didn't sell with fresh to move it I bought fresh ground chuck for 25 years from a locker plant and never got any bad or with any brown in the middle
tom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

If it's lack of oxygen it should turn red after a few minutes. If it stays brown its just old meat wrapped in some fresh meat which is dishonest. I never used to have this problem and it never turns red after exposed to oxygen.
anonymous

Garland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

There are tiny round black balls in my frozen hamburger Patties, when I took one out to examine it closer it was soft, an I popped it open and some slimy black stuff came out. What is it and is it safe to eat?
Ken

Alabaster, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Excuse me, but try grinding fresh sirloin, round roast, chuck, etc. and see if all of the fresh meat comes out in both brown and red segments to correspond with the excuses for variances in ground brown vs. red meat.
If it is FRESH ground it will be the same color.
(And it will taste better when fresh ground. Smell better too. Trust your nose and taste buds!)
Case closed...
Ken

Alabaster, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Addendum: If you want good ground meat, buy a roast, etc and have the grocery store butcher grind it fresh for you (if you do not have a grinder).

You will not only see and smell the difference in the meat but the texture will almost seem fluffy in comparison to buying pre-packaged ground meat.
Frigginsweet

Derby, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Thanks go out to the people who gave helpful answers (I almost threw away perfectly good ground beef!)! If you called people stupid, well you weren't helpful at all, were you? So who's the stupid one? ;)
smartass

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

iratation wrote:
<quoted text>
ya i work at a hy-vee meat dept. and often get that question. i have even had people that come in and say they used to work in a packing and the meat was never like that. and they dont want the dark stuff cuz it taste different BS!! 1) in a packingplant the cow just is getting killed not to mension some of the meat will still be a little dark cuz there is blood with no oxygen in some parts of the body. when it all comes down to it people think it is some conspiricy. and most r completely ignerent in the subject, even though life science in high school explains it all. dedede get a clue

Learn how to spell. Its mention not mension conspiracy not conspiricy ignorant not ignerent ;)
Jack

Troy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2013

Whoa.....Look at the steaks in your super market display case. The price on the lable $6.95 lb.
Now that is todays price that I can sell it for. The next day it would be considered old, do I just toss it out in the trash? You've got to be kidding me. Of course not....I grind it up with some fresh meat and call it ground hamburger. Flash, now I have utilized my unsold steak, which is O.K. just a little old.
Sharon

Middletown, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2014

Crouch in Illinois wrote:
People in the world are stupid when it comes to hamburger and it's darkness in the middle!!!! It's the Wal-Marts in the world that make these people stupid!!! If Wal-Mart would put fresh meat out people would never have these questions!!!! Thank you and keep supporting the little guys!!!!!!
It's the little guys I keep getting brown meat in the middle. I don't have that problem at Walmart or Krogers.
Remo

Montréal, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2014

meat has 3 colors
purple - ultra fresh
Red- oxygenated
Brown - oxidized

Purple and red are normal, brown inside isnt normal unless they mixed old crap with new meat on the outside.
paulpc74

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 28

carlotta wrote:
If the brown color is normal why then are most of my ground beef purchases all red through and through?
Well when you bought the all red meat packages, it's probably the packages that were recently ground. Not all packages get purchased before the next batch is made. They are rotated, but in self serve counters customers are picky and buy packs with the most recent time on the packaging instead of the few leftover packages from the previous grind.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Beef Discussions

Search the Beef Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TB epidemic 'will send cost of beef and milk ro... Jul 16 moo 1
Grass Fed Beef Jul 15 LocavoreT 1
Popeye's Chop House: Take a drive to rustic St.... (Jun '07) Jul 11 Hoosierdaddy 40
Suspected mad cow disease found in Romanian beef Jul 3 Purely Canadian 1
Proposed meat processing plant could bring 65 j... (Aug '13) Jul 2 Valley Hoe 70
Mad Cow Case Found in Alabama (Mar '06) Jun '14 Jim the Hoax Denier 30
Tokyo Sushi Restaurant Fresh Ingredients, Sushi... Jun '14 Fresh Sushi 1
•••
•••