Why is fresh ground beef sometimes br...
Bob

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Aug 16, 2011
I don't believe these answers about oxygen causing the browning. Whenever I buy a package of ground beef that is brown in the middle, it is obvious that fresh meat has been wrapped around the older meat. I want to know how I can buy completely fresh ground beef when I can't tell how the center looks until I get it home.
Al Wayshard

Comstock Park, MI

#24 Sep 28, 2011
Ground beef is not supposed to be brown....even in the middle, there would be enough oxygen unless you managed to pack it hard enough to have an impenetrable vacuum in the middle. It get brown because they let it sit out too long.
NWfemale

Seattle, WA

#25 Nov 22, 2011
Crouch in Illinois wrote:
People in the world are stupid when it comes to hamburger and it's darkness in the middle!!!! It's the Wal-Marts in the world that make these people stupid!!! If Wal-Mart would put fresh meat out people would never have these questions!!!! Thank you and keep supporting the little guys!!!!!!
Really? I pretty much feel it is necessary to ask questions about hamburger- REGARDLESS of the fact that I may appear "stupid" or that you think I shop at Wal-Mart! I'de rather be SAFE then SORRY because I dont think any place be it a GROCERY STORE, BUTCHER, RESTAURANT etc can ever guarantee there beef is 100% safe from things like e coli.
With that being said- If me taking extra precaution and asking a TON of questions about the beef I will be feeding my child is going to cause you to label me "stupid" then so be it!
Thomas Jefferson

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

#26 Nov 26, 2011
I like when it's brown on the outside and pink in the middle.
Jerry

Saint Louis, MO

#27 Jan 5, 2012
Bob wrote:
I don't believe these answers about oxygen causing the browning. Whenever I buy a package of ground beef that is brown in the middle, it is obvious that fresh meat has been wrapped around the older meat. I want to know how I can buy completely fresh ground beef when I can't tell how the center looks until I get it home.
Bob...you are an fool.
Meat Dept Manager

Bethel, AK

#28 Jan 5, 2012
iratation wrote:
<quoted text>
ya i work at a hy-vee meat dept. and often get that question. i have even had people that come in and say they used to work in a packing and the meat was never like that. and they dont want the dark stuff cuz it taste different BS!! 1) in a packingplant the cow just is getting killed not to mension some of the meat will still be a little dark cuz there is blood with no oxygen in some parts of the body. when it all comes down to it people think it is some conspiricy. and most r completely ignerent in the subject, even though life science in high school explains it all. dedede get a clue
Just reading your post tells me that your a Idiot and losing the store business.... you are the one that needs to get a "CLUE"
No One needs any more Smart Asses in the Store......"stuff".. ..."cuz"....The Cow is Smarter than You!
Meat Dept Manager

Bethel, AK

#29 Jan 5, 2012
Just reading your Post tells me your a Idiot and I would Fire You! First time I ever heard you be such a smart-Asz to a customer.... You are losing your store $$... you obviously didnt go to High School......Your Fired!!
donna

Chicago, IL

#30 Jan 15, 2012
i dont like my hamburger to be brown at all but im learning that the only way u find it i was told that store u see no brown init because they add red food coloring to keep it red
donna

Chicago, IL

#31 Jan 15, 2012
i think it gross but they sae normal if it all red then they added food coloring i dont know
talytowner

Tallahassee, FL

#32 Jan 29, 2012
HA HA
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
I like when it's brown on the outside and pink in the middle.
talytowner

Tallahassee, FL

#33 Jan 29, 2012
ha ha
Meethree

Saint Louis, MO

#35 Mar 13, 2012
Hope you people who think it's normal to have brown meat inside and red outside are up-to-date with your facts....don't think so though....look at what has just come out about the "Pink slime" otherwise known as LFTB or lean finely textural beef....a filler made by "Beef Products, Inc." It's made from the leftovers of the animal after all the good meat has been cut up...it includes fat, sinew, bloody effluiva AND it is treated with ammonium hydroxide because it is highly exposed to fecal matter. Don't believe? Look up "pink slime" it's been all over the news. They've been using this as a filler in chop meat since 1991....aproved by the USDA....until one of their scientists decided to blow the whistle on them.
McDodnalds, Burger King, TAco Bell, etc all used it until a month ago???????
the pink slime is what is mixed in as a filler and turns the meat pink???
As far as that brown inside....well, who know, but I won't eat any of it now. this will force me to become a vegetarian. What else are they covering up...
Art

Antelope, CA

#36 Mar 15, 2012
I have been cutting meat for almost 30 years and have had this question asked 100s of times. lean fresh ground beef will turn dark in the middle without the presents of oxygen. how ever, there will always be variables. when a fresh grind from that day is broken in half it will "bloom" in about 10 minutes, if you try the same thing with a day old grind you will get variables. sometimes a little red, sometimes not red at all. these are not computer boards folks, not everything happens the same way everytime. how cold was the cutting room, what was the pack date on the box of beef, is the shop putting yesterdays unsold steaks in the grind (commen practice since the beggining of time) if so, how much and how old where the steaks. back in the day, old timers put just about everything that didnt sell into there grind. todays standards and testing are very strict and are regulated and watched very carefully. you get caught breaking a rule and it will cost you your job.
DeAnnaAT_FortSil l

Lawton, OK

#37 Mar 18, 2012
We buy our meet from the commissary always 93/7 and usually has a brown center. When we buy 70/30 is always fully red. But super fatty. Lol
Ash

United States

#38 Mar 21, 2012
When I was living in Spain last year, I NEVER had this problem. Sometimes, after buying the meat, I'd leave it in the fridge for a few days...never a brown spot.

I think part of the problem with US beef may this ammonia-laced filler beef. Disgusting if you ask me...I've stopped eating beef since coming back to the US.
Devyn Hutchins

Bothell, WA

#39 Mar 22, 2012
I was just splitting up my ground beef to vacuum seal smaller portions and the middle was brown. I jumped on here to see if there were answers as to why. The ground beef has been sitting out for 5 or so minutes while I read the above comments. The portion of the beef that WAS brown is now in fact turning red.
So "Old Meat" from Canada...Yes it does turn red!
Jamie

United States

#40 Apr 16, 2012
Here is what the USDA has to say about it (the section pertaining to this is located 3rd up from the bottom):
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Ground_Be...
Vejim

Bellingham, WA

#41 May 3, 2012
Patty wrote:
I have worked in the Meat Dept at a local Chain for 30 years ......It is oxidation come on People with in an hour the hamburger will turn brown on the inside It is natural for beef to do this. Also if one steak touches another and the Air doesn't get to it the same thing. If this doesn't occur than something NOT Natural is being done to treat the MEAT and This is NOT a GOOD thing. Like some kind of Preservative very Bad. I have also Notice the less fat in the beef the darker brown it will turn. So most people like the leaner Ground beef but it looks brown on the inside and they Freak out .... Natural occurrence unless you want un- Natural Beef...HELLO get smart people!!!
Thanks for the up front answer exactly what the gal told me today as I bought some hambuger. Time to get cooking ...
Rob

Yellowknife, Canada

#42 May 25, 2012
Art wrote:
I have been cutting meat for almost 30 years and have had this question asked 100s of times. lean fresh ground beef will turn dark in the middle without the presents of oxygen. how ever, there will always be variables. when a fresh grind from that day is broken in half it will "bloom" in about 10 minutes, if you try the same thing with a day old grind you will get variables. sometimes a little red, sometimes not red at all. these are not computer boards folks, not everything happens the same way everytime. how cold was the cutting room, what was the pack date on the box of beef, is the shop putting yesterdays unsold steaks in the grind (commen practice since the beggining of time) if so, how much and how old where the steaks. back in the day, old timers put just about everything that didnt sell into there grind. todays standards and testing are very strict and are regulated and watched very carefully. you get caught breaking a rule and it will cost you your job.
This guy knows whats up!!
Ive been working at my local butcher shop for about a year now in hopes to soon be a certified butcher. I get asked about this brownish color now on a daily basis, being pretty much summer we make so many store made 1/2 lb patties. We put them on trays in 12 stacks of 6, 72 patties to a tray. And naturaly the 12 patties on top from each stack have "bloomed" while the other 60 start turning brown. I try my best to explain this to my costumers, but most are just ignorent to the subject. We use AAA grade Alberta beef and we use very little trim in our grinds, normally whole cuts, typically Outside flats.
Paulie

Wausau, WI

#43 Jun 24, 2012
Columbus has better meat on his sail over here than we can get today. Aside from the color issue, the markets in my town are perfectly happy selling you old dead cows and chickens, as witnessed by their smell. I grew so accustomed to this that I figured if it wasn't too bad, I would cook it enough, put spices on it, it would be OK... Now who would have thought that the smell of old meat and the brown color go hand in hand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beef Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How did we fall for the low-fat scam driving th... Jul 28 Fatmakesyouthin 1
News Drought cuts size of Canada's cattle herds Jul 6 Gourd Steaves Wife 2
News Proposed meat processing plant could bring 65 j... (Aug '13) Jul 2 michelle f 71
News South Floridaa s El Balc n de las Americas and ... Jun 30 cruzfelix 1
News Farm to Table: An all-local, all-natural hotdog May '15 Utica Famous 1
News Iowa Food Fight: Republican Hopefuls Size Up Hi... May '15 Tazo 1
News Big Texan Steak Ranch - Amarillo, TX (Apr '09) Apr '15 Horse 29
More from around the web