Why is fresh ground beef sometimes br...

Why is fresh ground beef sometimes brown in the middle?

Posted in the Beef Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Dingle

Mississauga, Canada

#1 Aug 27, 2006
I regularly get ground beef from the butcher at my local supermarket. Sometimes even if I just bought it that day, it's brown in the middle, yet bright red on the outside. What's up with that?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Dingle

Mississauga, Canada

#2 Aug 28, 2006
this site loves balls.
Roggie Bear

United States

#3 Aug 29, 2006
The red color of beef and other red meats is largely due to the presence of a natural pigment called myoglobin. When the surface of ground beef and beef cuts is exposed to air, the oxygen of the air combines with the myoglobin to form oxymyoglobin, which is bright red in color. This color change doesn't mean the meat isn't fresh or edible. It's just a natural occurrence when red meats are exposed to oxygen.

In steaks and roasts packaged in overwrap film, the color of the outside of the cut is bright red. Within the cut, it is purple because there is no oxygen to cause the meat to "bloom" (term used in industry to signify the conversion from the purple state to the red state in the presence of oxygen).

In making ground beef, some air is introduced in the grinding process. When ground beef is packaged in overwrap film, plenty of oxygen is available to generate the bright red color of lean on the surface. Because there is some, but not too enough oxygen deep within the product, it causes the meat to turn brown. When the product is allowed to come in contact with oxygen, it usually will bloom to the bright red color like the surface.
Dingle

Mississauga, Canada

#4 Aug 30, 2006
Roggie , thanks for the answer!
Dingle

Mississauga, Canada

#6 Oct 2, 2006
get it krunked
Crouch in Illinois

Waverly, IL

#7 Nov 16, 2009
People in the world are stupid when it comes to hamburger and it's darkness in the middle!!!! It's the Wal-Marts in the world that make these people stupid!!! If Wal-Mart would put fresh meat out people would never have these questions!!!! Thank you and keep supporting the little guys!!!!!!
Izaak

United States

#8 Dec 8, 2009
I miss the flavor of dry aged beef. Can we develop a flavor enhancing agent to duplicate the dry aged flavor?
iratation

Omaha, NE

#9 Jan 31, 2010
Dingle wrote:
I regularly get ground beef from the butcher at my local supermarket. Sometimes even if I just bought it that day, it's brown in the middle, yet bright red on the outside. What's up with that?
ya i work at a hy-vee meat dept. and often get that question. i have even had people that come in and say they used to work in a packing and the meat was never like that. and they dont want the dark stuff cuz it taste different BS!! 1) in a packingplant the cow just is getting killed not to mension some of the meat will still be a little dark cuz there is blood with no oxygen in some parts of the body. when it all comes down to it people think it is some conspiricy. and most r completely ignerent in the subject, even though life science in high school explains it all. dedede get a clue
John Beresford Tipton

AOL

#10 Feb 7, 2010
I don't buy the the idea that hamburger is brown in the middle because of lack of oxygen. When one opens up the meat the brown parts aren't all that even. Sometimes a hunk here and a hunk there. Smell the brown part. I recently paid extra for a package in hopes that it was all fresh. The next day when I went to use it a dime sized brown spot had made it to the top. I opened it up the the smell was gagging. "Fresh ground daily." I am sure that is true. The question is,"What day?"
Chris

State College, PA

#11 Feb 15, 2010
This will help explain the question: http://meatisneat.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/co...

. Also, the post from Roggie in 2006 sums it up very well.
carlotta

Woodbury, NJ

#12 Mar 19, 2010
If the brown color is normal why then are most of my ground beef purchases all red through and through?
peggy

Brea, CA

#13 Mar 25, 2010
I work at a very well known meat market in michigan, and we grind our own meat and yes people it does turn brown in the middle!!! we grind it fresh everyday and when th oxygen does not get in the middle it turns brown!!! my market is the only place i will buy any meat because i know the quality and what my burger is made from!!!!
apple

Mount Holly, NJ

#14 Mar 31, 2010
Crouch in Illinois wrote:
People in the world are stupid when it comes to hamburger and it's darkness in the middle!!!! It's the Wal-Marts in the world that make these people stupid!!! If Wal-Mart would put fresh meat out people would never have these questions!!!! Thank you and keep supporting the little guys!!!!!!
Well, I guess I'm stupid when it comes to hamburgers. Thank you "crouch in illinois".
You're stupid, though, when it comes to the difference between "its" and "it's"
Donna - Tampa

Tampa, FL

#15 Apr 6, 2010
EVERYONE I know, from my mother who's shopped for meat entire life in ALABAMA, and all the way up to people in Tampa, Florida, will tell you to STAY AWAY FROM th meat at Wal-Mart; even if the brown's not a bad side inside, which it's always brown inside at Wal-Mart, that it has NO taste. We all know that. It's an extremely low-priced meat with only a few pennies' savings. I checked this website because I had a beautiful ground beef from great store here, but after couple days, it was brown- and unlike above messages, it's brown on the outside now and red on the inside. No matter what people say, THE BROWN PART DOES NOT SMELL RIGHT. Help!
mmc

Miller Place, NY

#17 Jun 28, 2010
I even asked the butcher this question and was told it's ok to use it even when brown in the middle.That being said, I don't use it because I don't like the smell of the brown inside.i want it to have that fresh smell when it's nice and red.Help!!!!!
old meat

Barrie, Canada

#18 Oct 11, 2010
For those people who say that the O2 will make hamburger red, cut your package of "fresh" hamburger in half to expose the brown meat to the air. Does it turn red?
Rusty moore

United States

#19 Oct 24, 2010
I'm sitting in the parking lot of Sams right now to return 2 of 3 packs I bought yesterday. One was red and moist all the way through and two had dry brown centers.
Patty

Bellflower, CA

#20 Dec 29, 2010
I have worked in the Meat Dept at a local Chain for 30 years ......It is oxidation come on People with in an hour the hamburger will turn brown on the inside It is natural for beef to do this. Also if one steak touches another and the Air doesn't get to it the same thing. If this doesn't occur than something NOT Natural is being done to treat the MEAT and This is NOT a GOOD thing. Like some kind of Preservative very Bad. I have also Notice the less fat in the beef the darker brown it will turn. So most people like the leaner Ground beef but it looks brown on the inside and they Freak out .... Natural occurrence unless you want un- Natural Beef...HELLO get smart people!!!
Rick from Maine

Littleton, NH

#21 Jan 24, 2011
I'd be worried if it wasn't dark in the middle!

The info above is correct- it's lack of oxygen

It's the same premise if you prick your finger, the blood comes out purple at first, then blooms to red.
or, if you vacuum seal a steak or burger- because of lack of oxygen,the color will revert back to purplish/brown

if your burger stays red in the middle for days-it's either very fatty or enhanced

walmart meats are injected to stay red looking-stay with your local butchers
doug bauer

Farmington, MN

#22 Apr 8, 2011
just remember people it's all ground beef. it"s not hamburger till you COOK IT!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beef Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ranchers applaud Earls president's apology for ... Aug 16 Shoal Lake 40 Poo... 4
News Best Burger: FOX6 rates the best burger in Milw... (May '10) Jun '16 RIce 40
News Menus: 5/22/2016 May '16 Cheddar Cheese 1
News Conagra Foods Packaged Foods, LLC Recalls Two B... May '16 Three Days 9R 1
News The Dirty Apron shares recipe for braised beef ... May '16 ELISE 1
News Review: Valentina's in Northfield is Neapolitan... Apr '16 Fran T. 1
News Beef farmers look to gain ground in the Clay Belt Apr '16 Abitibi Lake-Rive... 1
More from around the web