Salt Lick going up in Round Rock

Feb 22, 2008 Full story: Austin American-Statesman 38

“Our customers, when they hear Salt Lick, want Salt Lick in Driftwood. It's a great honor that that's what they want, so we tried to duplicate it in Round Rock as much as possible.”

It's the place that folks go when they crave a plate of tangy barbecue pork ribs or juicy brisket. via Austin American-Statesman

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jason

United States

#21 Aug 17, 2008
The anticipation is over! I'm one of the bartenders for the new Salt Lick in Round Rock, and we'll be doing orientation Monday and Tuesday, then start up training the rest of the week...look forward to seeing you all there! Open for business shouldn't be more than a week away :-)
Breane

Pflugerville, TX

#22 Aug 20, 2008
I just called their Driftwood location to see if they were open in Round Rock yet, and "John" said they would be open on September 2nd. Looks like it got pushed back, yet again. Bummer!!
Whatup Yo

Round Rock, TX

#23 Aug 21, 2008
I'm with the rest of you, can't wait? My only fear is that it will be ultra-crowded the first week or two as people rush in for some Salt Lick goodness.
Peggy Sue Baker

Austin, TX

#25 Aug 28, 2008
The Salt Lick in Round Rock will open September 2nd!
me too

United States

#26 Aug 28, 2008
Matt wrote:
I heard today that they're saying 8/15... drove by this evening and we could smell the pits, so it could be tomorrow.
This is what I heard. Can not wait....so good!!!
me too

United States

#27 Aug 28, 2008
Peggy Sue Baker wrote:
The Salt Lick in Round Rock will open September 2nd!
Just saw this....THANKS.
Larry

Austin, TX

#28 Aug 29, 2008
My wife speculated a few months ago they would not open until after baseball season. The last Express game is September 1..so hum. She thought the people paying money to be inside the Dell Diamond would be not too happy with Salt Lick right outside. Perhaps they all signed a lease for this past baseball season (and opening Salt Lick during this season would have put the Ryans in breech?) and that was part of not opening till right after the season ends?
But in the future I can not see it shutting down at all during game days. Probably a big part of the reason they decided to build there. In any case main Salt Lick number just said to me 'next week'. Did not comit to Tuesday. Could be Tuesday, we shall see.
In any event the Round Rock Salt Lick phone number is blankite blank (can not post it). But it might be something like threehundredeightysix and onethousandfortyfour. Just rings for me, but who knows? Maybe next week pit will be going and number will be answering. Also opening after baseball season lets them sort out how they are going to handle parking during game days.$5 parking?, what I am just going to Salt Lick (and then the game). That should be interesting. Bummer they are missing labor day weekend entirely though.
Larry

Austin, TX

#29 Aug 29, 2008
Called the number...it works. Tuesday 11AM is the opening.
shreve

Pflugerville, TX

#30 Sep 2, 2008
They keep pushing the date back. The last email they sent me said "the first week in September".

I want to be there opening day and show my support by eating 10 lbs of ribs :)
Larry

United States

#31 Sep 2, 2008
Drove by just now. It is OPEN.
Larry

United States

#32 Sep 2, 2008
Just went. Looks very simliar to Driftwood. Lots of wood tables. We were seated on the covered patio and the air conditioning worked perfectly. It was not too crowded at all. The server said they are not doing any advertising to keep things from being too crasy too fast.

The family style was $18.95. The other plates were $11.95 or $12.95 for turkey or chicken. My wife had the turkey, she thought it was great. I had the family style and it was pretty much identical with Driftwood. There is a small bar area and you can order drinks. Bread was excellent. I am not a white bread fan but I love the bread, not sure why.

They have an outdoor waiting area under trees with around 10 or so wooden tables.

Anyhow if you are looking for something like the Driftwood experience you will not be disappointed. I wonder if they will have music when it gets busier? Just a note, when exiting to get back to 79 do not assume everyone is turning into Salt Lick. Plenty of people are heading into Old Settlers park.
Saltlick Employee

Kyle, TX

#33 Sep 3, 2008
Ok guys Salt Lick is officially open tell your friends and everyone else. Also fyi it tends to die around 1-3 so thatd be a good time if you decide to go there for lunch.
Hours are 11-10 7 days a week
angel

Canyon Lake, TX

#34 Sep 5, 2008
the food is not good. go to rudy's, eat better food and save money
Turd_muncher

Broken Arrow, OK

#35 Sep 5, 2008
I ate there. It was good except there was a turd in my meat. Right there with the sliced brisket. It looked like a dog or cat turd.

TASTED GREAT!!!
goliad

Austin, TX

#36 Sep 7, 2008
turds in brisket....?

that was a peppercorn.
A Thought

Vacaville, CA

#37 Jun 2, 2012
Will be hitting the Driftwood place in 2 weeks while on a roadtrip. Glad I found this on topix. I was going to start a new conversation here to ask is the place is as good as I've heard.
Sounds as if it is. Save me some beef, please!
Austinite

Austin, TX

#38 Jun 3, 2012
The one in Austin closed a while back I heard. I prefer the one in Driftwood anyways, tastes better and is a nice drive to get there and back.
A Thought

Vacaville, CA

#40 Jul 21, 2012
Some excellent brisket; beef always my favorite. The pork ribs weren't bad either. Never a fan of the chicken, but since I did the family style I gave it a try. Sausage not bad either. I overdosed on the brisket though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bar-B-Q Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillbilly Butts and Brisket BBQ says good-bye t... Jan 22 Funny 18
Big Daddy's now open in Live Oak (Nov '08) Jan 11 ZAKO 175
Underwood's B-B-Q in Brownwood, Texas Review (Jul '09) Jan 7 Elise 108
Bendi's Diner - Clarendon, AR Jan 4 goofy 4
For a meat-centric dinner, meet at Skrine Chops (Jan '08) Dec '14 Reddog 6
Mountain Lion Spotted in Backyard Dec '14 Sarah 11
Leadbelly's Barbecue has a meaty menu (Feb '14) Dec '14 meatheater 4
More from around the web