Flamangos in Whitehouse Station reopens as The Junction after Gordon Ramsay makeover

May 20, 2009 Full story: Courier News 85

Tropical Storm Gordon swept into Hunterdon County last week, and when he was gone, Flamangos Restaurant was no more.

Full Story
Kimbriel

Chandler, AZ

#72 Aug 12, 2011
The Junction wrote:
I would like to set the record straight for those of you who do not know what went on the week that the Kitchen Nightmares crew was at the Junction...First and foremost Adele was made the scapegoat people..If it wasn't her it would have been someone else..Its reality TV...Does anyone know why Adele was soooo upset during the taping of the show??? NO... you do not know..Do you know that the crew from the show was telling customers to complain about the food, service, etc..??? NO...did you know how much food was comped that week??? NO...Do you know that they were making her staff go to her and say crazy things so she would get upset??? NO...I know none of you realized that, right?? Did you know they overwhelmed the kitchen so customers waited forever for their food??? NO...Did you know they overbooked reservations so we couldn't handle the volumn of orders, etc..??? No folks, ya see...That's what TV is all about..So for all of the people out in the cyber world who have made horrible comments...Please think twice..You can't always believe what you see on TV...The editors of this show really did their job...They made Adele to look like a crazy bad person which she's not...She wouldn't be married for 50 years!!! AND if she didn't care about her business she wouldn't have written to the show..Yes Adele emailed the show...Adele and the crew at The Junction just want to make a living people..We are not horrible people...We work hard and love what we do...Yes Adele does too or she wouldn't still be in the business...So if those of you who came to our restaurant and didn't enjoy it..Im sorry but we know we can't please everyone but to write terrible things that aren't true is not right either..We except constructive criticism but unfortunately most of these comments are not...They are just mean and uncalled for...
Wow must have been Adele or Cheryl that wrote this. People that run a business need to develop a thicker hide in order to handle criticism. Customers are going to tell you what they do/don't like about a restaurant. Not everyone is going to be all sweet about it either. You have to be willing to take the good as well as the bad. You may not like everything you have read here, but the point is to take it with a grain of salt, and to fix what the customers believe to be the biggest issues. Nobody made anyone out to be the scapegoat, they did that on their own by acting like a petulant brat and insulting one of the world's greatest chefs. Gordon Ramsey isn't "stupid", knows what he's about and is trying to help, if you can't handle it then get the hell out of the kitchen.
Geordi

Atlanta, GA

#73 Aug 24, 2011
Gordon Ramsey is an excellent chef. The problem is that he's trying to change bad habits. It's like getting your alcoholic uncle into rehab and then giving him and his house a makeover for a fresh start. If he can't change, you'll come over again and probably find him out cold on the messy couch in a messy house with bourbon bottles all over the floor.

With Flamangos (and, subsequently, Junction), if the owners don't want to change (as evidenced by the re-introduction of "old favorites" that were old but not favorites), they won't change. Not to be mean, but the owners are in their 70's, they're retired. They are set in their ways. The stubborness that made them dive into a restaurant venture with their life savings when they clearly had no idea what they were doing is evidence enough that they were doomed.

And, I might be way off-base, but I found it a bit coincidental that they talked about the restaurant being doomed, how it was taking all their money, that they were broke and, poof, it goes up in flames.
grace wrote:
Never ate at Flamingos but did eat there when it was Spiotas. The Spiota Burger was great and I ordered it more often than not. Other things I tried there were also very good. Why did they change it?
Makes me wonder how good a chef Chef Ramsey really is when another of the restaurants he 'revamped' closed shortly afterwards. TV show or not, this does not speak well of his efforts. How about teaching the cooks in the restaurant what to do and how to do it, then follow through with a surprize visit to the restaurant in order to critique how his plans have been carried on by the owners, managers, cooks, etc.
Ross

Glasgow, UK

#76 Sep 14, 2011
check this out haha !!:-)
Been there

Austin, TX

#77 Nov 27, 2011
The Junction wrote:
I would like to set the record straight for those of you who do not know what went on the week that the Kitchen Nightmares crew was at the Junction...First and foremost Adele was made the scapegoat people..If it wasn't her it would have been someone else..Its reality TV...Does anyone know why Adele was soooo upset during the taping of the show??? NO... you do not know..Do you know that the crew from the show was telling customers to complain about the food, service, etc..??? NO...did you know how much food was comped that week??? NO...Do you know that they were making her staff go to her and say crazy things so she would get upset??? NO...I know none of you realized that, right?? Did you know they overwhelmed the kitchen so customers waited forever for their food??? NO...Did you know they overbooked reservations so we couldn't handle the volumn of orders, etc..??? No folks, ya see...That's what TV is all about..So for all of the people out in the cyber world who have made horrible comments...Please think twice..You can't always believe what you see on TV...The editors of this show really did their job...They made Adele to look like a crazy bad person which she's not...She wouldn't be married for 50 years!!! AND if she didn't care about her business she wouldn't have written to the show..Yes Adele emailed the show...Adele and the crew at The Junction just want to make a living people..We are not horrible people...We work hard and love what we do...Yes Adele does too or she wouldn't still be in the business...So if those of you who came to our restaurant and didn't enjoy it..Im sorry but we know we can't please everyone but to write terrible things that aren't true is not right either..We except constructive criticism but unfortunately most of these comments are not...They are just mean and uncalled for...
Thanks, Adele. You obviously wrote this. Perhaps if you had stuck to GR's changes and advice you would still be open. Sometimes small businesses are unsuccessful because they don't care about the community that could support them. You did not; hence, you closed.
wtf_u_say

Manchester Township, NJ

#78 Nov 27, 2011
A 42 yo still living with Mom and Dad, a old hag bitching about everything and having it recorded for national TV, and the ugly restaurant decor that the dysfunctional daughter though was great. The place deserves to go under. Feel sorry for the staff though, they deserved better than morons that thought they could run a failing restaurant.
Adele is a bitch

Saint Cloud, FL

#79 Dec 12, 2011
The Junction is better than Flamango's or whatever it was. Stopped there on my road trip. The food is better, service was still iffy, and I seen the aura that old bitch gives off. Screw her.
Big Steve

London, UK

#81 Feb 7, 2012
The daughter is hot but you got to look at the
Mother do you think she'd turn out the same way
It was blue
MIKER

Yonkers, NY

#82 Feb 7, 2012
So is it still open? Or did it close?? Not clear on that.
It would be interesting to check it out... Maybe Adele needs a new Alligator
Manalopy

Bound Brook, NJ

#83 Feb 8, 2012
The Ryland Inn used to be nearby.
Bobby

Justice, IL

#84 Feb 24, 2012
It has closed for good :-(
Joe

Bayside, NY

#85 Apr 3, 2012
The Junction wrote:
Lady Stfu and stop making excuses for your stubborn attitude.
michel

Italy

#86 Aug 9, 2012
no junctions has reopen....wowwwwww
Jack jack

Schenectady, NY

#87 Aug 23, 2012
Well at least the old man was cool.... Seemed like the nice guy to work for..
But why

Vienna, VA

#88 Sep 9, 2012
What you have to go through to get Gordon Ramsey in to help and then the attitude of "I believe in looking reality straight in the eyes and denying it".
I want it my way and I want to be successful don't always go together. Looks like the recipe for success didn't taste good to Adele.:(
Bern

Edison, NJ

#89 Dec 30, 2012
We went to the restaurant AFTER the makeover. Worst piece of prime rib EVER. For 20$, I sat there cutting all over to get to meat.
Seriously folks, I know prime rib tends to be fatty, but I have eaten it many times...at affairs, functions, at home. The nastiest piece of meat I ever saw, and then I was lectured over the fact that prime rib is fatty. DUH, Would never serve a piece of prime rib that looked like that. And a free lecture. My husband ordered something and had o be told when the order went in, they were out of a locally sourced item.
Also, the woman grabbed my plate even though I was still eating, which totally grossed me out.
I was not expecting a lot, except a decent relaxing meal, we left grossed out and disgusted. Just drove by and saw a new restaurant opened in it's place....Good luck to them!
The old place was destined to close sadly.
Heck, Cracker Barrel has better, cheaper food with excellant service....Ya wanna support local, but not this time!
John Thomas

Jackson, TN

#90 Jan 8, 2013
I never ate at the restaurant but I did watch the episode. I really hate to see anu business close because people put time, money and some their hearts into the business. However, I have seen anyone act like the woman who owned it. She used hate so many times about the changes that I could not believe her attitude. In this universe their is only one constant ---- change. If it does not work then two things need to be done 1.) change or 2.) continue and take the consequences. The owner knew ikt was not working and all the money that was being put into it was creating a situation that would bring them ruin. Her hatred of the changes was uncalled for and she is not in business to satisfy her delusions. Her goals are to give the best quality food and service and she failed. It is her business and at the pont that gordon came in she need to accept change to turn her business around and stop the whineing and complaining and see if they worked. I have no sympathy or empathy for her failures. For her husband I know he loves her and bless him for taking the shit he took. I hope she never attempts to have any business that has contact with the public.
A friend

Bowling Green, OH

#91 Sep 11, 2013
The Junction wrote:
LOL!!!!! WAAAAAH!!!!! You do know that crazy people get married too right...??
george

Trenton, NJ

#92 Sep 12, 2013
I witnessed the craziness. I spoke to the owners. I spoke to the daughter. I was a customer. I interviewed for the job as Chef (they didn't want to pay the going rate). I've been in this business for 25 years. I told them what they needed to do to be successfull. I told them what was wrong with their menu. They were stubborn about what they wanted to do regardless of the fact that everybody told them what was wrong. Adelle IS rude. She wanted her business "fixed" but wasn't willing to do what was nescessary to fix it. Her Florida theme was not going to fly in White House NJ. She should have stayed away from the hostess podium. She isn't a "people person". Instead of defending yourself from the get-go, why not just go with the plan and get famous? Retards.
They were small minded and cheap. They were in the wrong business.
adelisaHOREW

San Diego, CA

#94 Dec 25, 2013
A friend wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!!! WAAAAAH!!!!! You do know that crazy people get married too right...??
First of all i sadly was a customer. Whatever uninformed dumb bitch that wrote that above is:
L-Y-I-N-G
MAking excuses
And ugly
Their food sucked obviously....don't let them try to dillute the problem
adelisaHOREW

San Diego, CA

#95 Dec 25, 2013
The Junction wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks Michelle for your input!!! Im one of the owners of the Junction and I totally agree with you (of course)..Some people have nothing better to do then to rant and rave about restaurants that have been on Kitchen Nightmares with most never even visiting the establishment!!..It goes to show you how much they know about business..We are soo totally dedicated to our restaurant hence, going on Gordon Ramseys Show..Due to our horrible economy we thought this would be a great way for publicity but had we known that we would get soo many bad reviews we would have never done it..This experience was such a world wind of events both good and bad..Tho we could do without the bad...For those of you who had a bad experience I would hope to be given a second chance!!:) Remember to support your local Mom and Pop businesses...
Adel RUINED the restaurant. Period.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's your favorite dessert? 1 hr Petal Power 50
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 3 hr All things clay 8,280
What Foods Russians May Miss Thanks to Putin's Ban 14 hr Here Is One 206
Five Oakland Restaurants with Outdoor Patios to... 16 hr QMBG 1
'Popcorn Capital of the World' losing its histo... 18 hr Big Willy 2
A local's guide to the best eating and drinking... Fri Just Saying 2
Johnson's White Bear undergoes transformation Fri zelder 1
•••

Food People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE