APNewsBreak: Iowa plant drops horse-s...

APNewsBreak: Iowa plant drops horse-slaughter plan

There are 40 comments on the The Miami Herald story from Aug 13, 2013, titled APNewsBreak: Iowa plant drops horse-slaughter plan. In it, The Miami Herald reports that:

An Iowa company is dropping plans to slaughter horses in the wake of a federal judge's ruling that temporarily banned the practice as part of a lawsuit filed by animal welfare groups, a company executive said Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Miami Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
reality check

Midland, TX

#22 Aug 15, 2013
Shane wrote:
You said confidently that in many states there
are laws permitting this.
And you have reading comprehension problems. What I said was there are not many states with laws prohibiting the consumption of cat/dog meat.
Shane

Cameron, MO

#23 Aug 15, 2013
for starters in the following states laws linked
below killing any animal, including livestock, dogs,
cats and horses as well would be a violation of
laws requiring humane methods of killing, for whatever purpose, human consumption included:

1. California http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuscafood...
2. Florida http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusfl828_...
3. Michigan http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusmi287_...
4. Mississippi http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusmsst75...
5. New Hampshire http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusnhst42...
6. Ohio http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusohst94...
7. Oregon http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusorst60...
8. Pennsylvania http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuspast3_...
Rhode Island http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusrist4_...
Vermont http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusvtst_t...

need more ? Go to Animal Law Coalition. It is
generally presumed by the law that individuals
do not have the means to guarantee humane killing
of animal for food. Most people of normal decency
would not need to be explicitly told that it would
be cruel and inhumane to serve up Spot or Puff to
their family one night. But I guess some people
need things spelled out for them in state statutes.

Here is your argument, reality check (one you did
not bother to research to see if facts backed it):
"If there isn't a law specifically forbidding
something, the law must consider it permissible"
Wrong, County Sheriffs for example are given
latitude in interpreting general laws against
animal cruelty. On this basis they may fine
people of neglect of cattle, horses, hoarding cats
and dogs, proving that the law does not consider
the owners' property rights to transcend normal
human decency about not causing animal suffering.
And now where is your list, reality check ?
Shane

Cameron, MO

#24 Aug 15, 2013
P.S. to reality check no reading comprehension
problems read your own post #16 "it is legal in
numerous states to kill and consume cats and dogs."
Again I ask what are those states ?
reality check

Midland, TX

#25 Aug 15, 2013
Shane wrote:
for starters in the following states laws linked
below killing any animal, including livestock, dogs,
cats and horses as well would be a violation of
laws requiring humane methods of killing, for whatever purpose, human consumption included:
1. California http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuscafood...
2. Florida http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusfl828_...
3. Michigan http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusmi287_...
4. Mississippi http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusmsst75...
5. New Hampshire http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusnhst42...
6. Ohio http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusohst94...
7. Oregon http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusorst60...
8. Pennsylvania http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuspast3_...
Rhode Island http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusrist4_...
Vermont http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusvtst_t...
Yes Shane, "requiring humane methods of killing". Isn't that a "duh" moment ? And it seems you are are far short of 50 states there buddy.
Shane wrote:
need more ? Go to Animal Law Coalition. It is
generally presumed by the law that individuals
do not have the means to guarantee humane killing
of animal for food.
I kill plenty humanely when I hunt so there goes that argument.
Shane wrote:
And now where is your list, reality check ?
Stop deflecting from your failure, there is no need for me to supply you with a list of laws that do not exist. It is your responsibility to provide me with a list of 50 state laws that prohibit the consumption of dog - cat - horsemeat. If you cannot produce these laws then said consumption is not illegal. Why are you so thick on this simple concept ? Wait, I know why... because those laws don't exist in most states and you can't bring yourself to admit it.
Shane wrote:
P.S. to reality check no reading comprehension
problems read your own post #16 "it is legal in
numerous states to kill and consume cats and dogs."
Again I ask what are those states ?
Yes duh... it is legal because it is NOT illegal. Once again, you are intentionally being obtuse to cover your failure.
Shane

Cameron, MO

#26 Aug 15, 2013
"it is legal because it is not illegal" wrong !
Did you miss the point I made about the law does
not assume that because there is no specific statute
against a practice that it is not assumed that it
is permissible ? Example : "there is no specific
law in Midland Texas making it illegal to pee on a
policeman's shoes" (because common sense dictates
against it) "therefore it must be legal" Oh ? Try
it sometime and see what happens ! That was the
point about general laws against animal cruelty
being assumed by normal moral decency. Are you actually claiming there is a state in which a person
would not be charged for animal cruelty for carving
up his cat and dog on the front lawn and barbecuing
it ? Because you can't find a specific statue against it ? That is the point about general laws
in every state about humane conditions of killing
for any purpose. Here is an exact analogy for your
own deliberate obtuseness : "because lying except
under oath is not punishable by law, it is also
permissible under law." Dead wrong. You known
absolutely nothing about the law if you think
it interprets things as simplistically as that !
By the way, in the end it would be irrelevant if
killing cats and dogs for consumption were not
prohibited specifically in all fifty states. It would remain as repellant to the moral sense of
most Americans as eating horses. You can't legislate morality. And you can't undo moral
sensibility by attempting to steamroll over it with
new federal laws.
reality check

Midland, TX

#27 Aug 15, 2013
Glad to know you understand that morality cannot be legislated. Now carry that a step farther and realize that your morality is subjective as is mine. You don't get to decide what moral or decent or what is acceptable table fare for anyone but yourself, no matter what percentage of the public agrees or disagrees with you. And you can't be charged with a crime for a law that doesn't exist. Your arbitrary assumptions on acceptable table fare would be laughed out of any sane court in this country.

And let's not be silly here, peeing on a cops shoes is assault and that is the crime.

“Use renewable resources”

Since: Apr 11

Wear fur and save the earth

#29 Aug 15, 2013
So in the ARA world, 8=50. It is impossible to have conversation with people like that. I mean seriously, "8=50! Checkmate! You lose!!!" Our educational system has failed miserably.

“Use renewable resources”

Since: Apr 11

Wear fur and save the earth

#30 Aug 15, 2013
What is indecent about eating cat, dog or horse?
Shane

Cameron, MO

#31 Aug 16, 2013
Before leaving the subject permanently, reality
check a.k.a Ted Nudgent, tell me if I've summarized
your position correctly:

in order to protect your right to kill and eat
wild pigs or whatever else you hunt at night
(hopefully not horses, dogs, cats, or people),
I must be forced to pay tax money to pay for federal
inspectors for horsemeat in Roswell New Mexico.
Even Evel Kanevil wouldn't attempt this Grand
Canyon leap in logic ! Your right overrides the
rights of millions of taxpayers who don't wish to
pay for horse slaughter ? Does that sum it up ?
reality check

Midland, TX

#32 Aug 16, 2013
USA R0CKS wrote:
So in the ARA world, 8=50. It is impossible to have conversation with people like that. I mean seriously, "8=50! Checkmate! You lose!!!" Our educational system has failed miserably.
The links I opened refer to "humane slaughter" practices of livestock. I see no mention of cat-dog-horse. The only states I know of that have statutes prohibiting the slaughter and consumption of dog/cat are NY, CA and I believe VA. While it is conceivable that some local or state governments would attempt to prosecute a habitual cat/dog/horse BBQ'er on anti-cruelty statutes, any savvy lawyer would demand the state statute that prohibits cat/dog/horse slaughter for food. Without it, he most likely walks.

Disclaimer: I do not eat cat, dog or horse.
reality check

Midland, TX

#33 Aug 16, 2013
Shane wrote:
Before leaving the subject permanently, reality
check a.k.a Ted Nudgent, tell me if I've summarized
your position correctly:
in order to protect your right to kill and eat
wild pigs or whatever else you hunt at night
(hopefully not horses, dogs, cats, or people),
I must be forced to pay tax money to pay for federal
inspectors for horsemeat in Roswell New Mexico.
Even Evel Kanevil wouldn't attempt this Grand
Canyon leap in logic ! Your right overrides the
rights of millions of taxpayers who don't wish to
pay for horse slaughter ? Does that sum it up ?
My hunting has absolutely nothing to do with horse slaughter. I buy a hunting license every year to support state wildlife efforts. Hogs are considered vermin in Texas and I do my state a service by killing them. It's also high quality pork so it's win/win.

What is your solution for unwanted horses... bury them alive?... use them for glue or fertilizer? Why shouldn't somebody make use of the protein if it's feasible?
Shane

Cameron, MO

#34 Aug 16, 2013
to reality check: you are correct, your hunting
does have nothing to do with me paying for horse
slaughter through federaltax money ! But the corporate sponsors of these horse slaughter plants,
who are run by Belgian companies, not American,
(and don't pay taxes here or property taxes) spent
a lot of money around Roswell as they did here in
Mexico on propaganda to convince hunters, cattle
owners and others that their right to hunt or raise
cattle would be somehow threatened unless they
backed their corporate predatory scheme to resume
horse slaughter. The fact that you supported them
even though there is no logical connection between
hunting rights and defending horse slaughter proves
how successful their propaganda was ! In Missouri,
their hype ran something like this: "if you don't
back the right of Belgian companies to slaughter
horses for sales abroad, why the next thing you
know these PETA types who are really behind all this anti horse slaughter business will be taking
away your hunting rights, right to raise beef
cattle etc. Next thing you know, why, they'd be
force-feeding you tofu and taking your guns away."
All B.S. by foreign profiteers whose last horse
slaughter plants in Kaufman Texas and DeKalb Illinois completely destroyed the towns with
contamination which the local taxpayers then had
to clean up while they left the country !
I'm quite sure you are a thinking person
enough not to continue to play the corporate dupe
they think you are. People in the Ozarks Missouri
where I live wised up and ran this scheme out of
town and they are mostly hunters and beef cattle
ranchers. They saw through the BS in time. So
should people in New Mexico and Texas.
As to "unwanted horses", it is a complete
myth promoted by these Belgian corporate backers
that horse slaughter plants are like oldtime
rendering "glue factory" designed to "euthanize"
old or abandoned horses. They want only prime healthy fat horses to render into meat for sales
abroad (where at this point is a good question.
Europe will not accept horses that can't document
their medical histories so that rules out horses
from the U.S. Canada and Mexico).
The solution to horse overpopulation - if
it exists at all - is to address those responsible:
the commercial horse breeders, race horses and
quarter horses account for 90% of the horses being
shipped to slaughter in Mexico and Canada. They
are responsible for horse overpopulation. They don't want to pay for the nine out of ten horses
they find don't cut the mustard on the race-track
or as rodeo performers - so they want the tax payer
to bail them out again by paying for the slaughter
of the "unwanted" horses they are creating in the
first place ! All the other propaganda about
thousands of "unwanted horses" running rampant
across reservations in the West is complete BS .
Wild horse herds are shrinking precisely because
of the drought conditions that made hay expensive
and is the reason it is more expensive to maintain
horses.
Opening slaughter plants for horses will
compound the problem of "unwanted horses" not cure
it.(In fact horse rescue places are very successful when given a chance in finding homes
for horses bound for slaughter otherwise). Because
the greedy commercial horse breeders who make billions at the race track and on the rodeo circuit
will just be encouraged to continue to overbreed.
They can then sell their "unwanted " horses to
kill buyers bound for slaughter. The solution to
any form of overbreeding is stop giving economic
incentives to those causing it. Restarting horse
slaughter is going in the exact wrong position for
that !
Shane

Cameron, MO

#35 Aug 16, 2013
P.S. typo mistake "Mexico" should be "Missouri"
in above post in eighth line
reality check

Midland, TX

#36 Aug 16, 2013
You certainly use a lot of bandwidth on your own propaganda. Just understand this... I stand for freedom of choice. What others want to eat is their business, not mine or yours. If that means horsemeat, then so be it. And just so we are clear, I would trust ANY slaughter facility long before I would trust PETA.
Shane

Cameron, MO

#37 Aug 16, 2013
to reality check : well, I did my best to take
the blinders off you to see reality. You don't
stand for freedom of choice. You want me to pay
for other people's choice to eat horse meat !
At a rate of $400,000 a year for inspections at
each plant. Why would you trust a foreign owned
slaughter facility whose goal is to maximize
profit, without paying taxes, and leave behind
contamination that succeeding generations will
have to pay for ? You don't have to trust either
PETA or corporate profiteers ! Use your common sense!
By forcing me to pay taxes to support other people
eating horse meat (toxic if American horse, race
horses particularly) loaded with drugs) you are
making my choice for me ! I on the other hand
am not telling you whether or not to eat horse
meat. I am correctly warning you that it is
toxic. I am telling you along with millions of
Americans, that we will not pay for your food
choices !
reality check

Midland, TX

#38 Aug 16, 2013
There are far worse things my taxes are supporting. I choose my battles wisely, with pragmatism and personal ideology as my guide. Sorry Shane, but your pet cause doesn't move me enough. End of story.
Shane

Cameron, MO

#39 Aug 16, 2013
to reality check - this is not an argument, I
bring an olive branch, not a clutch of arrows in
my talons. This isn't an apology but an explanation
I feel I owe you. My earlier vitrolic attitude was
owing to the fact that I thought you were one of the
clones which pro slaughter people plant on these
Topix sites always with the same cut-and-paste
arguments. Then you were responding to me as if I
were some stereotype Eastern liberal with some
vegan agenda. It took a while for me to realize that
you were an actual individual, not some corporate
shill of which there are many planted here as well
as in mass media. In any case, we agree to disagree. Patrick Henry said rightly, "I may not
agree with what you say, sir, but I will defend
to the death your right to say it." Peace Out.

“Use renewable resources”

Since: Apr 11

Wear fur and save the earth

#40 Aug 16, 2013
Shane wrote:
to reality check : well, I did my best to take
the blinders off you to see reality. You don't
stand for freedom of choice. You want me to pay
for other people's choice to eat horse meat !
At a rate of $400,000 a year for inspections at
each plant. Why would you trust a foreign owned
slaughter facility whose goal is to maximize
profit, without paying taxes, and leave behind
contamination that succeeding generations will
have to pay for ? You don't have to trust either
PETA or corporate profiteers ! Use your common sense!
By forcing me to pay taxes to support other people
eating horse meat (toxic if American horse, race
horses particularly) loaded with drugs) you are
making my choice for me ! I on the other hand
am not telling you whether or not to eat horse
meat. I am correctly warning you that it is
toxic. I am telling you along with millions of
Americans, that we will not pay for your food
choices !
So you are against federal spending? The federal government spends tons of money on tons of things. If it is required that 100% of citizens agree to spending, you have just shut down the federal government. Your "logic" is terrible when your premises are generalized. I despise tomatoes. So nobody should be allowed to eat tomatoes because I have pay for tomato inspections? That is one of the dumbest arguments I have ever heard...and I have heard tons of dumb ones from the ARA nutjobs.
mojo karma cookie

Palo Alto, CA

#41 Aug 16, 2013
^^And witness the sorry spectacle of another round of double MAJOR FAIL from the clueless, inept and cowardly hunter trolls. Get ready for another helping of double MAJOR FAIL in 10..9..8..7..6..5..^^
reality check

Midland, TX

#42 Aug 16, 2013
mojo karma cookie wrote:
^^And witness the sorry spectacle of another round of double MAJOR FAIL from the clueless, inept and cowardly hunter trolls. Get ready for another helping of double MAJOR FAIL in 10..9..8..7..6..5..^^
^^The mark of the douche.^^

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News With business booming, D.C. food trucks now a s... 3 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) 4 hr comtech 61
News 4 ways millennials can survive and thrive in Ne... 5 hr tl-dr 3
News Jacobs & Brichford Introduces Two New Cheeses a... 18 hr Al Bion 8
News Where to Go for Seafood in Washington, D.C. 22 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News Pigs en route to slaughter were in distress whe... Fri Arnold 1
News Pawpaw Fest is this weekend (Sep '13) Fri gary 2
More from around the web