Antioch Rescue Squad auction

Jul 30, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Daily Herald

The Antioch Rescue Squad will host its annual fundraiser auction from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 4, at Williams Park, 741 Main St., Antioch.

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Aug 5, 2013
Res

North Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Why do they get to use a village park when they are no longer part of the village? Hopefully they are being charged for this..
The Doctor Is In

Antioch, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

As I have said on another blog, this is really outrageous.

The Lions Club has a tradition with these guys, but NOBODY appears to be thinking clearly. How much of the money raised in previous cooperative efforts was embezzled by their now under indictment thief of an ARS treasurer? I understand the amount he stole is at least $100,000. More was and is being wasted on lawyers, lawsuit settlements, fines, and a sleaze PR firm. Now the Lions want to help them raise more for this stuff when there are so many worthwhile projects? Why?

Further, WHY are they being allowed to do any activities whatsoever on Village property? This is nothing more than another opportunity for them to try to get their nose under the tent again with low information residents. Why is the Lions Club not helping other worthwhile causes now that ARS basically gave the Village the finger and was nearly shut down by IDPH ?

I suppose next we will hear that the wobbly kneed mayor, who did not have the guts to take a stand on this until after the election is out there helping the ARS at the BBQ. I think he should think twice about that.

This whole issue is stupid. Apparently the Lions Club is still connected at the hip to the ARS, or they don't read the newspapers. Don't do this again folks. There are too many other worthwhile causes, including your own fire department EMS. Lions is a great organization, but you have had a major brain fart on this one.

Sheeshe. This town never fails to amaze with its level of cronyism and stupidity.
ANTIOCHIAN

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Everyone needs to stop being such friggin babies about the ARS. If you don't want to support their event, like I am not, then don't go. Tell your friends not to go, but quit your belly aching over their fundraiser.

The ARS is no longer in the village and will never be back, so quit worrying about them or what they do.

They are still offering their services to the unincorporated areas and as such if those people want to come and donate to them they should be able to.

I guess a few bad apples does spoil a bunch, but come on people, the ARS did a lot more good for the village and community over the years then they have done bad. How many lives did they save over the years? Yes mistakes were made, and yes, they are paying for those mistakes, but enough of the whining about it.
mtfarms

Fox Lake, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

well said. I agree with you 100% .dont support them if you dont want to. but quit whinning about it. I have had to use them 2 times in the last 6 years and have no complant.
antioch

Antioch, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

ANTIOCHIAN wrote:
Everyone needs to stop being such friggin babies about the ARS. If you don't want to support their event, like I am not, then don't go. Tell your friends not to go, but quit your belly aching over their fundraiser.

The ARS is no longer in the village and will never be back, so quit worrying about them or what they do.

They are still offering their services to the unincorporated areas and as such if those people want to come and donate to them they should be able to.

I guess a few bad apples does spoil a bunch, but come on people, the ARS did a lot more good for the village and community over the years then they have done bad. How many lives did they save over the years? Yes mistakes were made, and yes, they are paying for those mistakes, but enough of the whining about it.
Nicely said. As you read posts you can tell they have a personal vendetta against ARS, like fire dept members. They know a ton of info on how they operate that the normal tax payer doesn't and they just want to continue and belittle them. Ohh well I'm gonna go to sleep, haha
Watcher

Oak Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

I dont agree. ARS was once a great organization. No more. Shut them down. Hire all except their management. Build the new fd EMS with transparency and competent mgmt. And until then no more access to village benefits
Truth Seeker

Antioch, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Watcher wrote:
I dont agree. ARS was once a great organization. No more. Shut them down. Hire all except their management. Build the new fd EMS with transparency and competent mgmt. And until then no more access to village benefits
I totally agree. It took just a few cooks to spoil the entire broth -- they need to shut down because they lost the trust factor and respect and any of the main players still around would make me as well as many others very uneasy. Without trust and respect you have nothing -- plan and simple.
Res

North Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Screw ARS, they had a chance to serve the village, instead they thumbed their noses at it like they deserve better. They deserve what they get, which aint much these days.
The Doctor Is In

Antioch, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

My family and I stopped by the Lions Club BBQ yesterday. Food was great as usual. But before we spent a nickle, I talked with a couple of members about how much ARS was getting from their proceeds, and they said "none". At that point, I bought tickets. They told me their money goes to a lot of other worthwhile causes around town. I was surprised by this because I thought the BBQ was primarily to support the ARS.

I suggested to them that they really should make sure the public knows that ARS at this point are just squatters at a philanthropic event run by the Lions. ARS claims they are philanthropic as well, but I do not believe in funding stupidity, law suit settlements, and thievery they allowed to happen right under their noses due to poor controls. There were a number of people sitting in the auction area, but I was told by several people that turnout was lower than usual. They were all attributing it to "troubles" at ARS.

I hope the Lions make sure the word gets out so residents know that their BBQ's are not for and do not support the ARS. Ideally, their next one would be partnered with the Antioch EMS. They could use an auction too, and if its done on Village property, they should have priority in my opinion.
fox lake resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

The Doctor Is In wrote:
My family and I stopped by the Lions Club BBQ yesterday. Food was great as usual. But before we spent a nickle, I talked with a couple of members about how much ARS was getting from their proceeds, and they said "none". At that point, I bought tickets. They told me their money goes to a lot of other worthwhile causes around town. I was surprised by this because I thought the BBQ was primarily to support the ARS.

I suggested to them that they really should make sure the public knows that ARS at this point are just squatters at a philanthropic event run by the Lions. ARS claims they are philanthropic as well, but I do not believe in funding stupidity, law suit settlements, and thievery they allowed to happen right under their noses due to poor controls. There were a number of people sitting in the auction area, but I was told by several people that turnout was lower than usual. They were all attributing it to "troubles" at ARS.

I hope the Lions make sure the word gets out so residents know that their BBQ's are not for and do not support the ARS. Ideally, their next one would be partnered with the Antioch EMS. They could use an auction too, and if its done on Village property, they should have priority in my opinion.
I thought they had a decent turnout.. I was there and have been for the past 2 years and it seemed like it was the same as the other years.
The Doctor Is In

Antioch, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

fox lake resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought they had a decent turnout.. I was there and have been for the past 2 years and it seemed like it was the same as the other years.
For the sake of the Lions Club charities, I hope you're right. Might have gotten busier after we left about 2 PM.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••