Macca's Meatless Monday: Gimme some inconvenient truth

Oct 29, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Daily Kos

Livestock's environmental impact greater than that of fossil fuel. In 2010, the United Nations Environment Programme called for the adoption of plant-based eating with the report Assessing the Environmental Impacts of Consumption and Production, in which they identified the overall environmental, including climate change, effects of livestock, ... (more)

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

The message is that if you are fortunate enough to eat the food you like AND do not want to give up eating it, you best not support climate mitigation.

What better way to sabotage one's cause than to tell the masses that they must stop eating their favorite foods... Does seem quite foolish.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

I'm semi-vegetarian. I do buy meat but only when it's down to $4/kg or so. Mostly pork, hamburger and round roast. What happened to chicken? It USED to be cheap and chicken is the most protein for the smallest amount of feed. It SHOULD be cheap. Yet I find it as expensive or MORE than beef?

Mostly my protein comes from protein shakes and Indian DAL recipes (lentils). Good tasting and cheap (surprise!). The round roast goes to making jerky (chew, chew, chew..) which gives a lot of taste for relatively few calories. Occasional pork chops or hamburger stew.

Economics will generate some enthusism among those of fixed income.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Note: Anyone wanting to try a vegetarian diet is warned to get B12 pills or shots. I didn't know about it (my vegan friend didn't think to warn me) and it causes some serious problems. Dietary sources are basically meat and mushrooms... and you can't eat enough mushrooms..
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

Another way to sabotage one's credibility is to assert the claim that Food and Water are poisonous pollution produced in the burning of fossil fuels.

...yes, The first link in the food chain, a trace gas (Carbon Dioxide) and water vapor, the most abundant of Green House Gases (dihydrogen monoxide) are by products of combustion.

I will consider revisiting the assertion of an impending climate catastrophe when advocates of CAGW stop seeing our food and water as pollution that needs to be curtailed.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
I'm semi-vegetarian. I do buy meat but only when it's down to $4/kg or so. Mostly pork, hamburger and round roast. What happened to chicken? It USED to be cheap and chicken is the most protein for the smallest amount of feed. It SHOULD be cheap. Yet I find it as expensive or MORE than beef?
Mostly my protein comes from protein shakes and Indian DAL recipes (lentils). Good tasting and cheap (surprise!). The round roast goes to making jerky (chew, chew, chew..) which gives a lot of taste for relatively few calories. Occasional pork chops or hamburger stew.
Economics will generate some enthusism among those of fixed income.
Me too. Meat (you're right- including chicken) is very expensive and influences the amount I consume.
Eggs have become my primary source of non vegetable protein. An entire meal for less than a dollar.
Lately I have been pairing my meals with Di-hydrogen Monoxide though a glass of milk, red wine or a bitter ale is generally preferred. It might be prudent to stay away from the koolaid.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Eggs have become my primary source of non vegetable protein. An entire meal for less than a dollar.
Eggs have been noted in many studies to be dangerous in terms of hearth health. One or two eggs is the MAX. And not just because of the cholesterol..
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Lately I have been pairing my meals with Di-hydrogen Monoxide though a glass of milk, red wine or a bitter ale is generally preferred. It might be prudent to stay away from the koolaid.
I go through abut 1.9 liters of Dihydrogen Monoxide every day, mostly in a dilute ice tea/MIO flavoring combination. Do not inhale! Very important. And Kool Aid gives me heartburn (every time). Not a good choice..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••