Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9262 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8770 Sep 13, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, a couple comments back someone mentioned putting it in a Brown paper bag back to back. They say it pops like popcorn. How does it taste? Guess you can pick anyone you have choices.
It did pop like popcorn and broke into pieces in seconds.

I put the Wanda clay in because I wanted to make it a bit harder (it isn't as hard as the M&J and I like my clay hard) but it didn't seem to change it. I tried the M&J too, just to see if it would change it but that didn't really change either in the short time I had it in.

This is a way to break up big chunks but I have to say it makes a lot of noise and I was worried about microwave damage.
Curious

Marietta, GA

#8771 Sep 13, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
It did pop like popcorn and broke into pieces in seconds.
I put the Wanda clay in because I wanted to make it a bit harder (it isn't as hard as the M&J and I like my clay hard) but it didn't seem to change it. I tried the M&J too, just to see if it would change it but that didn't really change either in the short time I had it in.
This is a way to break up big chunks but I have to say it makes a lot of noise and I was worried about microwave damage.
I think I would like M&J clay. I used to get Down Home Georgia White Dirt from a convient store and it was so hard to the point I had to use a hammer to break it down but it was sooo good. I can't wait to have that again.

Since: Jul 14

Lancaster, PA

#8772 Sep 13, 2014
Today I finally got my gray roasted Indian clay!!!!!!!! I've been without since June! So I was doing what any clay addict would do!? Yup, I searched high and low and prayed really hard to find it. Although I didn't find exactly what I wanted, it helped hold me over till I did get me good Indian clay!! Thanks to my Indian grocery store. The owner kept looking for me as well...and now, I have it. Trying to enjoy it slowly so I don't over indulge and run out again!
Kellzgirl

Mooresville, NC

#8773 Sep 13, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, a couple comments back someone mentioned putting it in a Brown paper bag back to back. They say it pops like popcorn. How does it taste? Guess you can pick anyone you have choices.
I always microwave mine in a brown paper bag. It does pop the big pieces. I have found the more you put in the sack the less it breaks up the big pieces. I put three pounds at a time in the sack for between 7 and 8 minutes. With that much in at a time it doesn't break up the big pieces so much. It is so good after it cools off. Yum!!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8774 Sep 13, 2014
Morales04 wrote:
Today I finally got my gray roasted Indian clay!!!!!!!! I've been without since June! So I was doing what any clay addict would do!? Yup, I searched high and low and prayed really hard to find it. Although I didn't find exactly what I wanted, it helped hold me over till I did get me good Indian clay!! Thanks to my Indian grocery store. The owner kept looking for me as well...and now, I have it. Trying to enjoy it slowly so I don't over indulge and run out again!
Happy for you. Can you tell us what it is like?
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8775 Sep 13, 2014
Morales04 wrote:
Today I finally got my gray roasted Indian clay!!!!!!!! I've been without since June! So I was doing what any clay addict would do!? Yup, I searched high and low and prayed really hard to find it. Although I didn't find exactly what I wanted, it helped hold me over till I did get me good Indian clay!! Thanks to my Indian grocery store. The owner kept looking for me as well...and now, I have it. Trying to enjoy it slowly so I don't over indulge and run out again!
That's fantastic! Good for you for not being scared to ask the indian store owner.
I wonder how he went about sourcing it.

But anyway, you must be so happy, so I hope you enjoy.

Don't forget to tell us how it is! And put pics on facebook if you can.
You know we love to hear about all the different types that people are munching on.:D
clay yay

Hyderabad, India

#8776 Sep 13, 2014
Morales04 wrote:
Today I finally got my gray roasted Indian clay!!!!!!!! I've been without since June! So I was doing what any clay addict would do!? Yup, I searched high and low and prayed really hard to find it. Although I didn't find exactly what I wanted, it helped hold me over till I did get me good Indian clay!! Thanks to my Indian grocery store. The owner kept looking for me as well...and now, I have it. Trying to enjoy it slowly so I don't over indulge and run out again!
Morales,

Where did you get this from...is this the same clay ordered from Sukrut in India or an indian grocery store owner in the US who sourced it for you ? Please share details as I am addicted to roasted grey indian clay as well. If this is a different type of clay other than what claylovers/sukrut sells, would lovvvve to try it !!! Please share pics n details of how it tastes too.
Curious

United States

#8777 Sep 13, 2014
georgie wrote:
<quoted text>
I received my Mutt and Jeffs. Let me tell you....wow. Please like my new fb page to see how it is.....addicted to delicious white dirt. Chalk too, yall. Thanks! Yall can talk about everything there that u do here!
I can no longer find your page on Facebook anymore . What happened to it ?
ILoveGrit

United States

#8778 Sep 14, 2014
Got my order of Mavu clay and I was disappointed. Can't believe I paid 30 for this. It tastes too clean like it's been washed with chemicals not earthy at all. I guess I need to set it outside to get some of the earth flavor or something. Not very happy &#128532;
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8779 Sep 14, 2014
ILoveGrit wrote:
Got my order of Mavu clay and I was disappointed. Can't believe I paid 30 for this. It tastes too clean like it's been washed with chemicals not earthy at all. I guess I need to set it outside to get some of the earth flavor or something. Not very happy &#128532;
That sucks that you aren't enjoying your order.
It's the worst when you pay so much money and wait for so long, only for it not to pay off. And that's always the danger with clay...it can vary so much, depending on where it is dug, and there's no way for clay sellers to check the quality of all the pieces they send out.

But mavu clay is also the only one that comes unbaked.
Maybe you just need to put it in the oven for a little bit to bring out more of a roasted, earthy flavor.
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8780 Sep 14, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I can no longer find your page on Facebook anymore . What happened to it ?
I can't find it either wonder if it was taken down n if so why?
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8781 Sep 14, 2014
ILoveGrit wrote:
Got my order of Mavu clay and I was disappointed. Can't believe I paid 30 for this. It tastes too clean like it's been washed with chemicals not earthy at all. I guess I need to set it outside to get some of the earth flavor or something. Not very happy &#128532;
That really sucks but that's also the reason I'm scared to try clay I'm afraid I'll pay for something that's not top my liking.hopefully u find a way to make it taste great
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8782 Sep 14, 2014
I'm back home now n still chalk less :( just didn't get the chance to stock up so disappointed feel like getting some dirt from the garden lol I was even thinking of trying baking soda but I knew that probably wouldn't be good hope I can get chalk soon really considering getting some de to avoid the awkward chalk runs
CCL

Kingston, Jamaica

#8783 Sep 14, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
I'm back home now n still chalk less :( just didn't get the chance to stock up so disappointed feel like getting some dirt from the garden lol I was even thinking of trying baking soda but I knew that probably wouldn't be good hope I can get chalk soon really considering getting some de to avoid the awkward chalk runs
The sodium in baking soda will cause serious health problems after a short while, especially if you have high blood pressure. If you don't you will get it using that stuff. Please don't use b soda as a substitution. Try some pottery yum yum
Curious

United States

#8785 Sep 15, 2014
CCL wrote:
<quoted text>
The sodium in baking soda will cause serious health problems after a short while, especially if you have high blood pressure. If you don't you will get it using that stuff. Please don't use b soda as a substitution. Try some pottery yum yum
Is there a specific type of pottery clay that you eat?
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8786 Sep 15, 2014
I don't like the mutt and jeff.:(

The texture is absolutely perfect. It is hard and is nice to crunch into, but it isn't hard on the teeth and melts down to an extremely smooth, creamy, and rich finish.
There was no grit at all in the bag that I sampled.

But it does have a mildly earthy flavor that I don't like. It actually tastes exactly like diatomaceous earth, but much smoother and creamier.

But yeah, I can't eat this stuff. It's sad because I'm in love with the texture, but the taste is not my favorite and I have no clue how to make a clay less earthy.
So if someone wants the rest of it, then contact me at Loren Trail on facebook. I'm putting pics of my order on the edible clay facebook page, so you can find me there.

You can have it for $1 a pound, plus shipping.

Or the rest of the 9 pounds for $18.

Or if no one takes it, I will probably put it on ebay.
I don't want it here and I want my money back LOL.
ann

Bronx, NY

#8787 Sep 15, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
I don't like the mutt and jeff.:(
The texture is absolutely perfect. It is hard and is nice to crunch into, but it isn't hard on the teeth and melts down to an extremely smooth, creamy, and rich finish.
There was no grit at all in the bag that I sampled.
But it does have a mildly earthy flavor that I don't like. It actually tastes exactly like diatomaceous earth, but much smoother and creamier.
But yeah, I can't eat this stuff. It's sad because I'm in love with the texture, but the taste is not my favorite and I have no clue how to make a clay less earthy.
So if someone wants the rest of it, then contact me at Loren Trail on facebook. I'm putting pics of my order on the edible clay facebook page, so you can find me there.
You can have it for $1 a pound, plus shipping.
Or the rest of the 9 pounds for $18.
Or if no one takes it, I will probably put it on ebay.
I don't want it here and I want my money back LOL.
Maybe you should sample another bag. What is your perfect clay? Maybe baking it will help or microwave it and see if that helps before you become completely turned off.
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8788 Sep 15, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should sample another bag. What is your perfect clay? Maybe baking it will help or microwave it and see if that helps before you become completely turned off.
I don't like to bake because it just makes the taste earthier and I don't like earthy.

I tried microwaving, which made it alot crunchier, but it still has the taste that I don't like. I like to crunch, but I also like to just suck on it and let it melt. If it doesn't taste good, I can't do that.
And I don't like how it explodes in the microwave lol.

So I think for me, kaolin is just a no go, and that's okay.
Probably microwaved prang is my perfect thing, and I just need to stop looking.
I really haven't liked any non-chalk items that I've tried.
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8790 Sep 15, 2014
CCL wrote:
<quoted text>
The sodium in baking soda will cause serious health problems after a short while, especially if you have high blood pressure. If you don't you will get it using that stuff. Please don't use b soda as a substitution. Try some pottery yum yum
All that came to mind so I didn't go for it I just waited it out n I finally have my chalk didn't buy as many boxes as I wanted but only because the store didn't have many lol I'm definitely over indulging now gosh I missed it
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8791 Sep 15, 2014
Wonder what ever happened with suri was she ever able to get the clay to mavu?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fred & Bettie Lee Gaskins named 2010 Oyster Fes... (Oct '10) 20 hr exposed 2
News Shorty's Place changing ownership and management (Jul '14) 21 hr Letmeknow69 22
News Rhod Gilbert reveals weird potato tattoo during... Sun Mitt s Airtight D... 2
News A trip to Flavortown: Inside Guy Fieri's Americ... Sun sammy 2
News Lakeland Seeking Ways To Handle Homelessness (Jul '10) Sun Ha Ha unemployable 17
News Cafe Rio Mexican Grill cuts giant burrito as pa... Sun Judy Busch 1
News SoCal company recalls Liquimax vitamins (Jul '08) Oct 12 Sindi 34
More from around the web