Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9259 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Since: Sep 14

Australia

#8678 Sep 3, 2014
ann wrote:
Andrew Abacus, well that was quite interesting that you just went and got the clay. I guess the stress of the break up. Your body wanted something to easy your pain. It seems that clay also relaxes the body. So your favorite thing to indulge on is chalk.
Hi again Ann, yes I suppose it was a sort of impulsive thing to do, but I am a man that is quite open minded and I enjoy partaking in new experiences. At that point in my life I was feeling really low and worthless which is something that I think no one should ever feel. Because of my state, I think I just through all my hope on this clay and luckily it was clay and not alcohol or drugs :)- Andrew
ann

Bronx, NY

#8679 Sep 3, 2014
@Andrew You are so right. It is better clay than one of those thing you mentioned. Many of us ladies attribute eating clay to the fact that we have low iron or is lacking in minerals. For some reason our body just seem to crave clay. It can be euphoric at times. We enjoy eating it for different reasons. We see clay eating prevalent with women not so much with men. Have you ever checked your iron level?
Curious

United States

#8680 Sep 3, 2014
I think I deserve to buy another bag of dirt. I ate my dirt quicker than I intended. I haven't had it in so long I was quick to eat so much of it. It was so good I couldn't help. All I have left is a chunk and I might finish that tomorrow. How is everybody else clay and chalk?
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8681 Sep 3, 2014
Welcome, Andrew!

What kind of chalk do you like?
I'm not sure what brands are available in Australia, but I love Prang, like Sargent and a certain type of Crayola AntiDust, and want to try Hagoromo Fulltouch and the German Pelikan Chalk.
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8682 Sep 3, 2014
Curious wrote:
I think I deserve to buy another bag of dirt. I ate my dirt quicker than I intended. I haven't had it in so long I was quick to eat so much of it. It was so good I couldn't help. All I have left is a chunk and I might finish that tomorrow. How is everybody else clay and chalk?
You went a long time with no clay. You deserve to indulge!

I decided to microwave my chalk for a little longer. 4 minutes this time. They came out unbelievably yummy and crispy, but it appears that I have to eat it fresh out the microwave to really enjoy it.
I tried to microwave several sticks this morning and take them to work, but by the time I got around to eating them, they were already a little less crunchy. Probably because it was so humid out.
If only there was a way to keep them extra dry.
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8683 Sep 3, 2014
Andrew Abacus wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Ann, I agree I do not see many men eating clay. The clay eaters that I know are predominantly women. There is a group that I belong to of people who enjoy the pleasures and benefits of clay and only 2 of them are males. I think perhaps that this is because many men are set in their ways whereas women are more open to things such as changes in fashions and diets. I also read that Shaliene Woodley (from the move the fault in our stars, a real tear jerker) enjoys clay, and a celebrity like that is bound to have influence on people of the same gender who admire her.
As for my clay story, my girlfriend and I had been together for a long time. It was just over two years I believe. We were very in love, but I guess the feeling wasn't mutual. One day when I dropped around to her apartment to surprise her with a bouquet of flowers (that I later gave to a homeless man, as if she deserved them!), I saw her lying in bed with another man. You get the picture... On my way home I passed this health food store and they were advertising clay and I just thought 'what the heck, anything to make me feel better is worth a shot' so I bought some clay. After I realised how amazing clay really is, I became 'hooked' and I now enjoy it daily. As for what type of clay I like to eat, I enjoy most clays, but a favourite for me is definitely chalk. Thank you for being interested in me.- Andrew Abacus
Hi Andrew it's very interesting that as a man u eat clay, what is the other group that you belong to? u mentioned u also like chalk which kind do you like? How much clay n chalk do u usually consume?
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8684 Sep 3, 2014
georgie wrote:
<quoted text>
I received my Mutt and Jeffs. Let me tell you....wow. Please like my new fb page to see how it is.....addicted to delicious white dirt. Chalk too, yall. Thanks! Yall can talk about everything there that u do here!
Hi georgie another guy nice to see it's not just ladies here you're pics are great wish I had the courage to like the fb page n comment but I'm a closet chalk eater
anjali

Scarborough, Canada

#8685 Sep 4, 2014
Hi I love multani mitti (fuller earth). Is anyone who too love tht .......
facefaceface

New York, NY

#8686 Sep 4, 2014
anjali wrote:
Hi I love multani mitti (fuller earth). Is anyone who too love tht .......
I've never tried it, but it looks delicious.
What do you like about it?
anjali

Scarborough, Canada

#8687 Sep 4, 2014
Its earthy crunchy and when melt in mouth it smell like first rain..........BT sometime u have to work hard with ur tongue bcz it sticks to ur gems.....
Curious

United States

#8688 Sep 4, 2014
Saving my very last chunk for tomorrow. I ate all the powder yesterday because the powder always taste better to me. It's more drier and I like the dry feeling it gives. Anyways last chunk until I order some more which will be in a few months. I'll most definitely order from mutt & Jeff next time I order white dirt too.
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8689 Sep 4, 2014
anjali wrote:
Its earthy crunchy and when melt in mouth it smell like first rain..........BT sometime u have to work hard with ur tongue bcz it sticks to ur gems.....
Sounds yummy.
https://www.facebook.com/clay.lovers.world...
It looks like they have a supplier for fuller's earth. Looks like big chunks too.

I really want to try Mavu's clay.
The white tanzania and the mavu clay have my mouth watering.
I don't know what is going on with my cravings, I just want to eat all the clay.
I've been overindulging in chalk too, especially since finding out how good it is when you microwave it.
I want to try to microwave the sargent too, but I'm worried that it will come out too hard.
deli

Fontenay-trésigny, France

#8690 Sep 5, 2014
Hi all !
http://youtu.be/YMRr8Xl19bg
Take a look at this girl eating haitian mud cookies
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8691 Sep 5, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds yummy.
It looks like they have a supplier for fuller's earth. Looks like big chunks too.
I don't know what is going on with my cravings, I just want to eat all the clay.
I've been overindulging in chalk too, especially since finding out how good it is when you microwave it.
I want to try to microwave the sargent too, but I'm worried that it will come out too hard.
If u do micro the sargent kind let me know how it turns out
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8692 Sep 6, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
If u do micro the sargent kind let me know how it turns out
I microwaved the sargent lol.
Didn't really make a difference.
It only got a little harder and crunchier, but that was about it.
I think because it's already so dry and hard, it couldn't really be dried out much further, so I won't go through the trouble of microwaving it anymore.

Still loving my microwaved Prang though.
And can't wait to order from mutt and jeff.
CCL

Kingston, Jamaica

#8693 Sep 6, 2014
deli wrote:
Hi all !
http://youtu.be/YMRr8Xl19bg
Take a look at this girl eating haitian mud cookies
I want some mud cakes... NOW!!! lol
CCL

Kingston, Jamaica

#8694 Sep 6, 2014
Aren't you all just tired of ppl making a big deal about eating clay like its some sort of madness we have. Why is this any worse than someone smoking? http://youtu.be/Ut6XnpNUaV4
We eat uncontaminated earth. So what??!!
ann

Bronx, NY

#8695 Sep 6, 2014
CCL wrote:
Aren't you all just tired of ppl making a big deal about eating clay like its some sort of madness we have. Why is this any worse than someone smoking? http://youtu.be/Ut6XnpNUaV4
We eat uncontaminated earth. So what??!!
They use clay for mud mask to help the skin. Well many think that they take soul from the ground and just eat it. This is not the way it is. We are aware that topsoil is not good for us. I think if they thought white dirt was that bad why do they allow people to sell it. The only thing is they do not want clay coming from outside the U.S. If they did I think we would have a variety. People do bring it in .
Maybe they say it is chalk.
CCL

Kingston, Jamaica

#8698 Sep 7, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
They use clay for mud mask to help the skin. Well many think that they take soul from the ground and just eat it. This is not the way it is. We are aware that topsoil is not good for us. I think if they thought white dirt was that bad why do they allow people to sell it. The only thing is they do not want clay coming from outside the U.S. If they did I think we would have a variety. People do bring it in .
Maybe they say it is chalk.
Thats true coz I use it on my skin too. The part that gets me is the reaction of some persons when the find out someone eats clay or chalk... like in this vid with the reaction of her friend and sisters. http://youtu.be/8VfuF5Ig6T4
As though chalk is the worst thing they have ever tasted....
That might be becoz they don't understand that its an addictive habit but it is still annoying to me.
Look at this girl smoking in this vid yet she finds eating clay disgusting. http://youtu.be/8VfuF5Ig6T4
Eating clay is far healthier than smoking but you wont get the same response from ppl about it. Anyway just ranting lol
badymary777

Burnley, UK

#8699 Sep 7, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds yummy.
hiya I noticed that you wanted to try Mavus clay, I just got my first bag a couple of days ago and its fantastic, no grit at all, very creamy but has a wonderful earthy taste without being overpowering. I also ordered some Natural Ghana clay from Soulsister but I am finding it a little too strong in taste.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hungry Howie's Pizza Brings Flavored Crust Pizz... 9 hr Arm farts 2
News Rural America Braces for Labor Shortages After ... 14 hr Davenport 96
News Scoop: the Chew 8/14 - 8/18 on Abc 17 hr ethno colonies 1
News Best weird AP news: 'Jorts-wearing bandit,' Den... 22 hr Mary Grams 4
News What's Happening Aug 21 guest 1
News Over 2,000 pounds of crawfish being delivered t... Aug 19 Victor Hugo 169
News Children who skip breakfast 'may be doing thems... Aug 19 Gov Corbutt of th... 5
More from around the web