Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 20 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Curious

Atlanta, GA

#8540 Aug 21, 2014
georgie wrote:
<quoted text>I also noticed that biting into the clay and crunching it gives me almost a tranquil calming effect, almost like taking a zanex. For me, its also a huge mental addiction to.
OMG yes ! It makes me feel so much calmer . Just chewing it relaxes me .
Curious

Atlanta, GA

#8541 Aug 21, 2014
Idk if you guys watch Kenyamzcornstarch queen on YouTube. But she is always talking about eating sour dirt and it having a lemon earthy taste and she says she dig it up but then give the website for Georgia white dirt. I was wondering do you guys know where to get sour dirt from like in her videos. It looks grey with the some red streaks in them. I asked her numerous of the times where she dig it up at because we live in the same state but she keeps giving me a white dirt website. Hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about.
crazy 4 stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#8542 Aug 21, 2014
bady777 wrote:
<quoted text>
so my chalk arrived! I have to say although I like the taste of the red soil, it is sooooo hard the teeth, I love my teeth and don't want to ruin them. is their a way of softening it do you no? I didn't like the white clay, it was slightly sour and stuck to my mouth. not nice. I still prefer the mud from the ground under the stones. I don't think I will ever find a substitute.....
Did you order chalk like for chalkboard or clay?
Smore

Lancaster, PA

#8543 Aug 22, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Which clay are you referring to? Their is a lot of suppliers . You can check out Facebook. Why we crave&love clay, Edible clay, Clay lovers also Ghana Baked clay. Mavu mutt And Jeff, Goodoledirt Georgia white dirt on the net.
Hi Ann, I am looking for the chunks of gray roasted Indian clay. There are pics of it on the Facebook pages you gave me. I just can't get anyone to send me that clay. Do you know where I can buy this clay?
crazy 4 stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#8546 Aug 22, 2014
Over indulging aaahhh lol
georgie

Hollywood, FL

#8547 Aug 23, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you order chalk like for chalkboard or clay?
Does anyone remember the taste of antidust anduseptic crayola chalk n. 1401 that was made all during the 1990s and how it was creamy and crunchy like how white dirt is now? And the playtime crayola chalk u could buy in the supermarkets? Then i guess crayola caught on that people were eating it, so they changed it to plaster of paris? It was THAT that certain taste of chalk that got me hooked in the first place, does anyone know besides ebay where u can order that generation of chalk or is it long gone?
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#8550 Aug 23, 2014
quitter wrote:
<quoted text>
Can u send me d yellow unmoulded clay from PTA if you get ur hands on them,I wouldn't swallow them,just chew nd spit..
HEY quitter, No unfortunatly I cannot, I hardley ever have time or guts to buy clay any more, nd when I do, my cravings r usually going through the roof, nd I can't buy enough for my cravings nd to post to you. I'd really like to try you're typa red though, maybe we could do a tit for tat exchange. Where do you currently stay again?
Kellzgirl

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8551 Aug 23, 2014
Curious wrote:
Idk if you guys watch Kenyamzcornstarch queen on YouTube. But she is always talking about eating sour dirt and it having a lemon earthy taste and she says she dig it up but then give the website for Georgia white dirt. I was wondering do you guys know where to get sour dirt from like in her videos. It looks grey with the some red streaks in them. I asked her numerous of the times where she dig it up at because we live in the same state but she keeps giving me a white dirt website. Hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about.
Have you tried Wanda's dirt? It is sour. I stick with Mutt and Jeff now because of the price and since I just chew and spit out I go thru a lot!! But I have bought from Wanda in the past and was happy with it.
Curious

United States

#8553 Aug 23, 2014
Kellzgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you tried Wanda's dirt? It is sour. I stick with Mutt and Jeff now because of the price and since I just chew and spit out I go thru a lot!! But I have bought from Wanda in the past and was happy with it.
Yes I LOVE her dirt . That's the only kind I eat . When I was living at my parents house I didn't want to buy from mutt & Jeff because I knew a big box would be coming to my house and somebody would've question about the box whether they saw me getting it or throwing the box out . But I saw Kenya put the white dirt and the grey dirt together and you can tell they were completely different . She even said that the grey sour dirt is different from the white dirt . I guess she just don't want anybody to know where she gets her dirt from .
quitter

Europe

#8554 Aug 24, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
<quoted text>
HEY quitter, No unfortunatly I cannot, I hardley ever have time or guts to buy clay any more, nd when I do, my cravings r usually going through the roof, nd I can't buy enough for my cravings nd to post to you. I'd really like to try you're typa red though, maybe we could do a tit for tat exchange. Where do you currently stay again?
Hey Mobu,its kinda difficult to get d red clay here,because its deep down in d mountains,I stay in MP but not far from PTA,we could do an exchange I'd sent u d white nd brown clay 2 bags costing me R10 rand den postage for 20..that's what would work for me,try d vendors at Nelson Mandela drive near Medforum for d red clay
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#8555 Aug 24, 2014
quitter wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mobu,its kinda difficult to get d red clay here,because its deep down in d mountains,I stay in MP but not far from PTA,we could do an exchange I'd sent u d white nd brown clay 2 bags costing me R10 rand den postage for 20..that's what would work for me,try d vendors at Nelson Mandela drive near Medforum for d red clay
Hey quitter, I've tried their red clay I like it, I just thought that maybe your red clay is a different type of red and wanted to try it, but I understand if its hard to come by. The white clay that you are talking about where is it mined from? I love white clay, but only get to eat it when I go home, I'm from the F.S origionaly. If we do the exchange ill also send you 10 pieces of the yellow Pta clay, costing R1 each, I'm yet to find out what posting would cost.
crazy 4 stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#8556 Aug 24, 2014
georgie wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone remember the taste of antidust anduseptic crayola chalk n. 1401 that was made all during the 1990s and how it was creamy and crunchy like how white dirt is now? And the playtime crayola chalk u could buy in the supermarkets? Then i guess crayola caught on that people were eating it, so they changed it to plaster of paris? It was THAT that certain taste of chalk that got me hooked in the first place, does anyone know besides ebay where u can order that generation of chalk or is it long gone?
I've never tried white dirt but I believe that crayola chalk was the one that hooked me on the first place too. Used to be able to even buy at college stores I think some people sell it on eBay probably just left overs from what it used to be.I wonder if they really figured people were eating it.how I wish they still made it. It was the best
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#8557 Aug 24, 2014
SAclaylover wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mobu, well I started by eating dirt and soft brick. I am originally from the E.C, so id only get my fix when i get home, coz CPT is just sand :-(. so excited to know that i'd be getting the right fix in JHB. I was recently introduced to white clay by a friend, her mother is a potter, and it's delicious.
Why do you feel embarrassed when buying it, no one really knows what you are going to use it for. Try parking in some dodge area because you spot good dirt, and talking a walking, then 'accidentally' dropping your keys just so that you can pick them up with a handful and then run to your car, now that's embarrassing, and i used to do that. so buying it at a market, i'm looking forward to that. oh and the boyfriend thing, i think mine just overlooks it, because i dry it in the oven and snack on it anytime, he just looks at me a bit weird.
Hey SA clay lover
Believe you me, they know what the clay is for, they know its for consumption. Your car parking story is kind of funny, I'm also glad that you're moving to a place where you'll be able to buy clay from a vendor, dodge free lol. Has your boyfriend never commented on your clay eating addictiction? Maybe he had family members that ate it from his family, so its nothing new to him. Do you know where your friends mom gets the white potterey clay from? I love white clay.
quitter

Europe

#8558 Aug 24, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey quitter, I've tried their red clay I like it, I just thought that maybe your red clay is a different type of red and wanted to try it, but I understand if its hard to come by. The white clay that you are talking about where is it mined from? I love white clay, but only get to eat it when I go home, I'm from the F.S origionaly. If we do the exchange ill also send you 10 pieces of the yellow Pta clay, costing R1 each, I'm yet to find out what posting would cost.
Lol,please don't like I said before,I quit eating clay due to health problems that it caused me,one piece is enough as I'd only chew nd spit it,infact I'd send u d white clay nd expect nothing in return,its mined from Middleburg nd Witbank,some take it from d mountains,I've actually passed a clay mountain one day nd it was literally white,you will enjoy d white clay I promise u,I'd love 2 go back to eating clay but I can't risk getting sick again
georgie

Miami, FL

#8559 Aug 24, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never tried white dirt but I believe that crayola chalk was the one that hooked me on the first place too. Used to be able to even buy at college stores I think some people sell it on eBay probably just left overs from what it used to be.I wonder if they really figured people were eating it.how I wish they still made it. It was the best
The peole on Ebay realize there are chalk addicted eole and wow do by hey take advantage. Right now, there is a whole bunch of old school ezsyte antidust crayola chalk on there...starting bid 75.00 or some nonsense. One box is 11 bucks, really?? When I couldt buy it anymore, and found out about the white dirt, it was almost like the white dirt was the creamy, crunchy, yummy part of the chalk they took away. It was heaven. I have one day before the clay comes from Mutt and Jeff. Dying over here. Anyone gotten some in the past four days?? If so, how was it?? Terrified of grit and sand and sour, let it be DELICIOUS PLEASE. Oh and noone answered, if ur clay is too gritty or sandy, is there ANY way by to fix it or make it better??

I keep reading white dirt is sold on florida too,um where??? Not where Im at!
Facefaceface

Washington, DC

#8560 Aug 24, 2014
georgie wrote:
<quoted text>
The peole on Ebay realize there are chalk addicted eole and wow do by hey take advantage. Right now, there is a whole bunch of old school ezsyte antidust crayola chalk on there...starting bid 75.00 or some nonsense. One box is 11 bucks, really?? When I couldt buy it anymore, and found out about the white dirt, it was almost like the white dirt was the creamy, crunchy, yummy part of the chalk they took away. It was heaven. I have one day before the clay comes from Mutt and Jeff. Dying over here. Anyone gotten some in the past four days?? If so, how was it?? Terrified of grit and sand and sour, let it be DELICIOUS PLEASE. Oh and noone answered, if ur clay is too gritty or sandy, is there ANY way by to fix it or make it better??
You can remove sand and grit from clay, but it is a long process. This guide is a good one:

http://practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth...
Ackee

Bronx, NY

#8562 Aug 24, 2014
I remember a time when I could just eat maybe 1-2 bags
in a day. I do not crave it as much because when I used to run out even though I wanted to order more I would let months go by before I did. I now eat a small piece off a chunk and that is not everyday. Hopefully I will stop completely.
Kellzgirl

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8563 Aug 24, 2014
georgie wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine from Mutt and Jeff is perfect. Creamy and crunchy no grit. It was delivered to me last Monday. They have been sending such good quality it is scaring me how long can it last? Lol Always afraid I am going to get 10 or 20 pounds of sandy gritty clay.
Kellzgirl

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8564 Aug 24, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I LOVE her dirt . That's the only kind I eat . When I was living at my parents house I didn't want to buy from mutt & Jeff because I knew a big box would be coming to my house and somebody would've question about the box whether they saw me getting it or throwing the box out . But I saw Kenya put the white dirt and the grey dirt together and you can tell they were completely different . She even said that the grey sour dirt is different from the white dirt . I guess she just don't want anybody to know where she gets her dirt from .
I have watched some of her videos. I know in one she goes down by Stone Mountain somewhere but that may have been for red dirt. I thought Kenya sells dirt too. I know next time I go to see family in Alpharetta I am going to be keeping my eyes wide open for clay.=)
morales4

Lancaster, PA

#8565 Aug 24, 2014
All things clay wrote:
Hello all, I would just like to say thanks to a few ladies here:
First to UK Clay, as due to a message from her I was prompted to contact Soul Sista to enquire about clay.
Next to Soul Sista herself, who I would like to thank for her excellent customer service extended to me in getting clay to me within my time frame. I had never tried the two types that she sells, and to be frank with the first bite didn't think I would like the moulded clay (quite strong smoky, roasted taste) but I soon found that I had quickly acquired a taste for it! Woke up craving it last night, but resisted.
I also like the clay in its natural state that I got from Soul Sista, although I will bake it to hopefully make it crunchier and bring out the flavour more.
Next I would thank a lady here who is not a supplier but who sold me some Indian Black/Grey roasted clay from her personal supply. Thank you so much! I LOVE this clay, it is so crunchy with just the right amount of grittiness for me before turning smooth. I like the flavour of it too. It is very crunchy - good for people who like harder clay I would say.
I have been overindulging in clay the past couple of days, but I don't feel too bad about it because - as is my usual practice with all new clays that I try - I have just been chewing rather than swallowing the clay.
Unfortunately it has not worked out in getting Mavu clay this time - by the time I realized that she had more stock there wasn't enough time to order it.
Hey ATC, I saw that you mentioned a lady who sold you some gray roasted Indian Clay? Would you be able to ask her to sell me some as well? Or if she or you can direct me to the correct place to purchase this particular clay? please advise. Thanks! Smorales

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The sticky truth about honey 34 min mealexwar 1
Digital Restaurant Menu is beneficial rather th... 3 hr eWineDine 1
News Inside SBS's Struggle Street 15 hr somebody elses pr... 1
News Some mighty tasty burgers at Willy's 19 hr sospoiksslskflkm 3
News Your Lehigh Valley Planting Guide : The Morning... (Mar '07) 20 hr trish18014 2
News Tennessee Schools Caught Serving 'Foul,' 6-Year... 23 hr DILF 12
News Guests are the Winners During Dollywood's 30 Da... Mon Carrie C Cozart 1
More from around the web