Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Curious

Norcross, GA

#8524 Aug 20, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never tried the red soil cakes, but it sounds like it would be a good match for you. It's supposed to be the earthiest of mavu's clays and since you're used to eating straight up earth, you will probably like the taste.
Maybe you might want to soak it first though, just so it's as close to what you like as possible.
I'm glad that you're getting Mavu's clay instead of eating the one straight from the ground though. I feel like it's safer. Like less potential for bacterial and parasites.
I've stopped bringing chalk to work, in an effort to force myself to cut back.
It's been working...I ate 3 sticks yesterday, 4 the day before, and 4 on Monday. But these cravings are driving me crazy, especially after I eat lunch. It's been a struggle to not run to the staples down the street and buy a box.
What kind of chalk do you usually eat & what do you like about it ?

I like the crunch & dry feeling of chalk ... Almost similar to my white dirt except for the taste . I hate the taste of chalk
georgie

United States

#8526 Aug 20, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
When it comes, please tell us what it's like.
I'm trying to cut back, because I think eating chalk is part of why my iron has stayed so low, but mutt and jeff's white dirt looks too yummy.
I will definitely. I thought it was going to come on Monday, stupid me ordered it too late, and now have to wait till next Monday, so I have to wait five more agonizing days to get it.
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8527 Aug 20, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of chalk do you usually eat & what do you like about it ?
I like the crunch & dry feeling of chalk ... Almost similar to my white dirt except for the taste . I hate the taste of chalk
I eat Prang Hygieia white chalk.
And what don't I like about it hahahaha.
It's crunchy, especially if you dry it out, but no matter how much I dry it, it never gets too hard on the teeth. For me, the dryer the better, so I like to dry it out alot.
And it's really rich and creamy when it dissolves down, no grit.
I also love the taste....it's not earthy at all, more like a buttery, dusty taste. I don't crave for the taste of earth, so the flavor (or lack thereof) is perfect for me.

What does white dirt taste like?
I feel like I read alot of different responses...some people say it tastes like earth, some say like flour. I guess it would depend on where the dirt is dug from.
Do prefer an earthier taste, is that why you don't like chalk?

@georgie, that really stinks!! Sorry to hear that.
I wonder why they don't ship more often. Even twice a week would be better than once.
crazy 4 stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#8528 Aug 20, 2014
Can't stop eating chalk it's been one of those days I suppose.it's just so yummy!
Smore

Lancaster, PA

#8529 Aug 21, 2014
loveleena wrote:
@zenith , I am also interested in purchasing roasted clay from India(is it called 'puthada').please let me know how to contact you.Thanks
Can I know how to get this clay as well?
bady

Inverurie, UK

#8530 Aug 21, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never tried the red soil cakes, but it sounds like it would be a good match for you. It's supposed to be the earthiest of mavu's clays and since you're used to eating straight up earth, you will probably like the taste.
Maybe you might want to soak it first though, just so it's as close to what you like as possible.
I'm glad that you're getting Mavu's clay instead of eating the one straight from the ground though. I feel like it's safer. Like less potential for bacterial and parasites.
I've stopped bringing chalk to work, in an effort to force myself to cut back.
It's been working...I ate 3 sticks yesterday, 4 the day before, and 4 on Monday. But these cravings are driving me crazy, especially after I eat lunch. It's been a struggle to not run to the staples down the street and buy a box.
thank you so much for your reply. yes i agree the mavu clay will definitely be cleaner. I'm so excited for it to arrive. is it really hard in texture? i find the cravings are worse after lunch also, its odd isn't it.
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#8531 Aug 21, 2014
bady wrote:
<quoted text>
thank you so much for your reply. yes i agree the mavu clay will definitely be cleaner. I'm so excited for it to arrive. is it really hard in texture? i find the cravings are worse after lunch also, its odd isn't it.
It seems that a lot of us have intense cravings after we eat a meal. I do not know why that is. Maybe our body is not satisfied with the nutrients from the food so it want it so that could be why the cravingss for the clay is intense.
I am craving for some now. My mouth is just watering. I am going to have to start bringing a little snack size piece in my bag to much on. Why is it so yummy.?
Curious

Norcross, GA

#8532 Aug 21, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
It's crunchy, especially if you dry it out, but no matter how much I dry it, it never gets too hard on the teeth. For me, the dryer the better, so I like to dry it out alot.
I also love the taste....it's not earthy at all, more like a buttery, dusty taste. I don't crave for the taste of earth, so the flavor (or lack thereof) is perfect for me.
I feel like I read alot of different responses...some people say it tastes like earth, some say like flour. I guess it would depend on where the dirt is dug from.
I wonder why they don't ship more often. Even twice a week would be better than once.
Yeah it depends where the dirt is dug from for example my favorite white dirt is from goodoledirt .com & the reason for that it's because it's white on the outside but when you bite into it or even wet it , it turns to a light pink & it has a bit of a sour taste like a more earthier taste . It's crunchy / crumbly & it turns smooth . It gives you a dry feeling in your mouth if you eat a lot at once but for me I'll feel like it's too much to swallow so I'll end up spitting it out but I'll never rinse my mouth out . I love the earthy flavor . Someone said that they let their chalk sit in some soil to catch the earthy flavor but I just moved to the city & live in an apartment so it'll be weird to go downstairs to dig a hole in the ground , I'm afraid somebody would be looking . I haven't tried to put chalk in white dirt yet , I might try it soon though since I have a batch at my fathers house & I left it there in the process of moving & i wish I was thinking about it then because I haven't had it in almost a month . CRAZY !! Other durst I tried when I first get it like georgiawhitedirt .com taste like chemicals at first but once you let it sit in a brown paper bag then it'll bring out the flavor . The brown paper bag drys out the dirt , and make it an earthy flavor & make it crunchier . Some like to bake it but it taste nasty to me when you bake it . Kinda taste like a non stick cooking spray like Pam .

Since: Aug 14

Aberdeen, UK

#8533 Aug 21, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems that a lot of us have intense cravings after we eat a meal. I do not know why that is. Maybe our body is not satisfied with the nutrients from the food so it want it so that could be why the cravingss for the clay is intense.
I am craving for some now. My mouth is just watering. I am going to have to start bringing a little snack size piece in my bag to much on. Why is it so yummy.?
so my chalk arrived! I have to say although I like the taste of the red soil, it is sooooo hard the teeth, I love my teeth and don't want to ruin them. is their a way of softening it do you no? I didn't like the white clay, it was slightly sour and stuck to my mouth. not nice. I still prefer the mud from the ground under the stones. I don't think I will ever find a substitute.....
ann

Bronx, NY

#8534 Aug 21, 2014
bady777 wrote:
<quoted text>
so my chalk arrived! I have to say although I like the taste of the red soil, it is sooooo hard the teeth, I love my teeth and don't want to ruin them. is their a way of softening it do you no? I didn't like the white clay, it was slightly sour and stuck to my mouth. not nice. I still prefer the mud from the ground under the stones. I don't think I will ever find a substitute.....
Sometimes you have to eat it for a few days to enjoy it.
Maybe you can use a hammer to break it into small pieces and then eat that way. Use a hammer. I know when I started eating the white dirt/clay I did not like it but now I can't get enough. I used to eat soil from the ground. Maybe you have to dig deep so that you do not have a problem with bacteria. I do not recommend the soil from the ground. I think it is because you are use to the soil from the ground.
Facefaceface

New York, NY

#8535 Aug 21, 2014
@curious, I find that chalk sucks up flavor really well. I put some in DE sometimes, and it takes on some of the flavor of the DE.
Maybe you can do it early in the morning or sometime when no one is around, but I'm sure that if you can dig up some soil and leave the chalk in it for a while, you can flavor it to your liking.
Even putting it in a brown bag overnight might help.

@bady777, again, I haven't tried the red soil cakes so I don't know if this will work, but I notice that my chalk always gets much softer when I introduce moisture. Like if I have chalk in my bag when it rains, the chalk is always very soft and creamy when I take it out. No crunch at all, until I can get it in front of a blow dryer or something to dry it out.
So maybe putting it in water, or leaving it in a humid place will help.
Maybe you can boil some water, put the clay in a strainer, and then rest the strainer above the steaming water to get some moisture into it.
Or put the clay in a paper bag and periodically spritz the bag with water until the clay is the right consistency.

I
georgie

Hollywood, FL

#8536 Aug 21, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed! White dirt is prolly their best selling item for crap sakes, I wonder if anyone orders it for other than eating, lol. I remember a while back, I ordered from Sams white dirt, and being totally turned off cuz when I bit into one of the chunks, there was a like, a big piece of plastic or something in the middle of it. TOTALLY turrned off my cravings, didnt order any foe a while. I still to this day wonder just WTF that was. If ur dirt has too much sand/grit in it, is there any way to remove it or make it better? Plllllease let this batch be smooth, crunchy, and delicious!
Curious

Norcross, GA

#8537 Aug 21, 2014
georgie wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed! White dirt is prolly their best selling item for crap sakes, I wonder if anyone orders it for other than eating, lol. I remember a while back, I ordered from Sams white dirt, and being totally turned off cuz when I bit into one of the chunks, there was a like, a big piece of plastic or something in the middle of it. TOTALLY turrned off my cravings, didnt order any foe a while. I still to this day wonder just WTF that was. If ur dirt has too much sand/grit in it, is there any way to remove it or make it better? Plllllease let this batch be smooth, crunchy, and delicious!
I don't think anybody will buy a batch of white dirt CHUNKS to use it for anything else except for eating it . If they wanted to use it for a face mask or any other beauty related they'll get the powder kind and just a bag of that . I'll make it my goal one day to buy a batch from mutt & Jeff. That'll last me a life time ... Hopefully . I'll have to remember to place the order early Tuesday so it'll can be shipped out on Thursday and then be on my doorsteps on Monday . I remember when I first joined this forum and everybody was saying how it was a struggle to even order from mutt & Jeff because they were always sold out . There's another website that sells cases of white dirt but I think they're a little bit more expensive .
georgie

Hollywood, FL

#8538 Aug 21, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think anybody will buy a batch of white dirt CHUNKS to use it for anything else except for eating it . If they wanted to use it for a face mask or any other beauty related they'll get the powder kind and just a bag of that . I'll make it my goal one day to buy a batch from mutt & Jeff. That'll last me a life time ... Hopefully . I'll have to remember to place the order early Tuesday so it'll can be shipped out on Thursday and then be on my doorsteps on Monday . I remember when I first joined this forum and everybody was saying how it was a struggle to even order from mutt & Jeff because they were always sold out . There's another website that sells cases of white dirt but I think they're a little bit more expensive .
I also noticed that biting into the clay and crunching it gives me almost a tranquil calming effect, almost like taking a zanex. For me, its also a huge mental addiction to.
crazy 4 stuff

Van Nuys, CA

#8539 Aug 21, 2014
I'm too weird I'm trying to not eat so much chalk but now I find myself eating peanut shells.this pica has the best of me
Curious

Norcross, GA

#8540 Aug 21, 2014
georgie wrote:
<quoted text>I also noticed that biting into the clay and crunching it gives me almost a tranquil calming effect, almost like taking a zanex. For me, its also a huge mental addiction to.
OMG yes ! It makes me feel so much calmer . Just chewing it relaxes me .
Curious

Norcross, GA

#8541 Aug 21, 2014
Idk if you guys watch Kenyamzcornstarch queen on YouTube. But she is always talking about eating sour dirt and it having a lemon earthy taste and she says she dig it up but then give the website for Georgia white dirt. I was wondering do you guys know where to get sour dirt from like in her videos. It looks grey with the some red streaks in them. I asked her numerous of the times where she dig it up at because we live in the same state but she keeps giving me a white dirt website. Hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about.
crazy 4 stuff

Van Nuys, CA

#8542 Aug 21, 2014
bady777 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you order chalk like for chalkboard or clay?
Smore

Lancaster, PA

#8543 Aug 22, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Which clay are you referring to? Their is a lot of suppliers . You can check out Facebook. Why we crave&love clay, Edible clay, Clay lovers also Ghana Baked clay. Mavu mutt And Jeff, Goodoledirt Georgia white dirt on the net.
Hi Ann, I am looking for the chunks of gray roasted Indian clay. There are pics of it on the Facebook pages you gave me. I just can't get anyone to send me that clay. Do you know where I can buy this clay?
crazy 4 stuff

Van Nuys, CA

#8546 Aug 22, 2014
Over indulging aaahhh lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) 9 hr RaidersPharts 263
News Longtime State Rep. Karen Clark Won't Seek Re-E... 12 hr cowboy chris 4
News 'Safer avocado' invented to keep people from st... 13 hr andet1987 5
News Hundreds flock to Food City Tamale Festival in ... Sun Maggie 1
News Should food stamps be used to buy soda and cand... (Mar '17) Sat Lisa 7
News A sample menu for Georgia prison inmates on Fri... (Jun '09) Dec 9 BPT 59
News America's Farmers Don't Depend on Illegal Immig... Dec 8 Wildchild 3
More from around the web