Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9206 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Curious

Norcross, GA

#8460 Aug 8, 2014
Morales04 wrote:
Anyone in the USA know where I can buy the gray roasted clay chunks that are from India? I have a indian store that I bought from, but last 3 months, there out of stock. I have horrible clay cravings. I have spent so much money trying to get the right clay. Someone please help. Thanks,
Have you tried looking on Facebook pages like "edible clay" or "why we love & crave clay"
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8461 Aug 9, 2014
Ugh I guess I'm old fashion too you can't even go through the pages like before
ann

Kissimmee, FL

#8462 Aug 9, 2014
I think it is easier. Maybe they had to change it because the page was getting to big.
Morales4

Lancaster, PA

#8463 Aug 9, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you tried looking on Facebook pages like "edible clay" or "why we love & crave clay"
Yes I have, I find that the suppliers are given the wrong information about sending packages to the USA. They are under the impression that it's illegal to sell clay in the USA. So I have a lot of trouble getting the right clay. Thus why I am asking if anyone lease can get the gray roasted clay from India?
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8464 Aug 9, 2014
Morales4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I have, I find that the suppliers are given the wrong information about sending packages to the USA. They are under the impression that it's illegal to sell clay in the USA. So I have a lot of trouble getting the right clay. Thus why I am asking if anyone lease can get the gray roasted clay from India?
https://www.facebook.com/clay.lovers.world

That page says that there is a US supplier for indian roasted clay. Maybe try emailing them.
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8465 Aug 9, 2014
Guys I found out that when I drink a plain glass of cow's milk room temp before going to bed I don't have much craving the next day. This has been within the last week or so. The craving is still there but not very strong. Right now i don't have any clay or limestone so I 've just been looking at pics until tired of it for the cravings. That works coz the urges go soon after that. A big step since my cravings are ravenous - teeth grinding and nervous like an addict when really stressed so am happy to at least be able to control it like this. Maybe this will work for you guys.
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8466 Aug 10, 2014
Caribbean Clay Lover wrote:
Guys I found out that when I drink a plain glass of cow's milk room temp before going to bed I don't have much craving the next day. This has been within the last week or so. The craving is still there but not very strong. Right now i don't have any clay or limestone so I 've just been looking at pics until tired of it for the cravings. That works coz the urges go soon after that. A big step since my cravings are ravenous - teeth grinding and nervous like an addict when really stressed so am happy to at least be able to control it like this. Maybe this will work for you guys.
Oh wow.
Maybe your cravings come from a calcium deficiency. I'm glad you found something that works for you!
All things clay

Moscow, Russia

#8467 Aug 10, 2014
Caribbean Clay Lover wrote:
Hi CCL, glad you have found something that works for you.

You eat limestone too? What is it like there?

I have eaten it in the past (this island is made of limestone) but mostly it is too hard and/or lacking in taste. The stone near the beach is softer and can be crumbly, but sometimes tastes too salty and of course it is still very gritty like sand rather than having the smoothness of many clays. I have had good limestone/earthy material that I have dug, but it is hard to find...had a little taste a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a very long time.
flowers

Clearfield, UT

#8468 Aug 10, 2014
I think i am a clay addict now. My addiction started about 4 - 6 years ago and it is getting worse. I used to take iron pills and could go for months clay; now just the smell of iron makes me nauseous. I need to stop since it is ruining my teeth; they have become very sensitive. And here in Utah it is $8.00 for less than a pound. I have
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8469 Aug 10, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh wow.
Maybe your cravings come from a calcium deficiency. I'm glad you found something that works for you!
Me too Face. Hate to think how I'd be with exams and all and not a drop of clay to eat right now.
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8470 Aug 10, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi CCL, glad you have found something that works for you.
You eat limestone too? What is it like there?
I have eaten it in the past (this island is made of limestone) but mostly it is too hard and/or lacking in taste. The stone near the beach is softer and can be crumbly, but sometimes tastes too salty and of course it is still very gritty like sand rather than having the smoothness of many clays. I have had good limestone/earthy material that I have dug, but it is hard to find...had a little taste a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a very long time.
Thanks ATL. I eat limestones when i get really desp. for something and there's no clay. Limestones is pretty much everywhere here altho access to clean ones might be challenging dependin on where you are. Admittedly it isn't earthy in smell or tastes but its crunchy so that where the satisfaction comes in. You have to crush it into small pieces tho coz large ones will destroy your teeth. I tend to just nibble on small pieces when the cravings are heavy and that's all there is. What's abundant here is red and orange clay but access to clean source takes some effort too. I rem passing a spot probably somewhere midway betwn Kgn and Ochi and saw where they were digging into the land. I saw layers of light brown earth that looks a lot like clay. I vowed to go back and check but hadn't found the time yet. They have a lot of trucks leaving load of limestones mixed with clay on roadside and construction sites but you have to get to it while its fresh i.e. before dogs start sniffing around it lol. But the clay from this tastes awesome.
crazy 4 stuff

San Diego, CA

#8471 Aug 10, 2014
So I cleaned out a teachers supply store in their chalk today...it was kind of embarrassing lol but accidentally left it by some crayons n now it taste like crayons eeek! Will have to get some dirt so it can get that taste I love
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8472 Aug 11, 2014
I ate alot of chalk this weekend
Just couldn't get enough of that crunch and the creamy meltdown....hopefully, it's just a momentary spike.

I also can't wait for my next payday, so I can order some white dirt from mutt and jeff. It looks so yummy.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8473 Aug 11, 2014
Thanks CCL.
It would be a dream come true to find that it is true that we have clay on this island, and if trucks left it on the roadside! I would hire them to drop it at my house lol and store it in my spare room.
claydelite

Silver Spring, MD

#8474 Aug 11, 2014
ClayLove01 wrote:
I just bought Mutt and Jeff white clay. Just the right amount of grit and earth taste. I love it
Is the Mutt and Jeff clay creamy as well as gritty? I love the smooth, earthy, gritty combination.
claydelite

Silver Spring, MD

#8475 Aug 11, 2014
Hi All, I'm new to the forum. I've tried Mavu clay, and love both the red and white clays. At first, I wasn't to keen on the white one, however, the smooth earthiness, with silght grit eventually won me over. It has actually become my favorite.
ClayLove01

Rockville, MD

#8476 Aug 11, 2014
claydelite wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the Mutt and Jeff clay creamy as well as gritty? I love the smooth, earthy, gritty combination.
Yes it is very creamy like chocolate with teeny bits of sand. I like this much better than other vendors I have bought online and the price is great
Kellzgirl

Aurora, IN

#8477 Aug 11, 2014
Happy day! UPS just delivered me twenty pounds of Mutt and Jeff. Wish I didn't have to work this afternoon so I could stay home with it.=)
CrunchyT

Buffalo, NY

#8478 Aug 11, 2014
ordered some yellow clay from this site http://www.brambleberry.com/Yellow-Silt-Clay-...
It looks like it might have mild earthy taste, just what I am looking for.
Curious

Chicago, IL

#8479 Aug 11, 2014
Kellzgirl wrote:
Happy day! UPS just delivered me twenty pounds of Mutt and Jeff. Wish I didn't have to work this afternoon so I could stay home with it.=)
It does sounds like a good day . 20 pounds of white dirt .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
an evening on the beach 5 hr Mona Day 1
News Flavors of the Pacific Rim in Midtown Ventura 5 hr ventura_resident123 1
News Wellington-Halton Hills MPP Arnott: Wishing eve... 7 hr Fergus gets new hosp 8
News The Best Iced Coffee Drinks in Every Miami Neig... 10 hr Donelda Trump - T... 2
News Shutting down 'shark finning': US fishermen pro... Wed Captain Yesterday 6
News Desperate for help, needy post pleas online | T... (Oct '09) Wed Posting as myself 38
News Wellness Committee of Thousand Oaks Presents "1... Jul 26 Udo 1
More from around the web