Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9019 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

ann

New York, NY

#8383 Jul 31, 2014
Maybe forum getting too Big. They got upgrade.
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#8384 Jul 31, 2014
Hey Clay Fam!
My cravings are going through the roof! I never have time to go buy some clay from the market, there's a lady that sells it not far from where I stay but people look @ me funny when I try and buy it, and then I get ashamed. Also a coupla weeks back my boyfriend made a funny comment about my clay eating habbit, I know he was playing but it made me think that maybe he is embarrassed by it and he is just not telling me because he is scared he might hurt my feelings.
Just wish I had a clay eating friend who stayed nearby, that way it wouldn't be so embarrassing coz wed go together all the time.
Wouldn't it be nice if clay was sold @ our local grocery stores? With all the different types sourced from different countries and neatly and discretly packaged. And we could buy it like we buy a packet of chips?... Sigh.
ann

New York, NY

#8385 Jul 31, 2014
Moby maybe you should eat your clay privately. I do that so no one will have anything to say. Also maybe the lady can put your clay in a paper bag and you pick it up.
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#8386 Jul 31, 2014
ann wrote:
Moby maybe you should eat your clay privately. I do that so no one will have anything to say. Also maybe the lady can put your clay in a paper bag and you pick it up.
@Ann, I do eat my clay in private, its just that he knows I eat it. I told him coz I was tired of always being afraid that when he is around he might open somewhere, where I happen to have hid it and then I would have had to explain akwardly. Even when he is around I put my clay away out of sight.
The lady won't understand why she has to put it in a paper bag, because clay is sold openly in S.A. Also she wouldn't care for the extra paper bag cost. However I will ask her. Infact I wanna ask her where she gets her supply from, maybe I could buy one of those big sacks of clay... That way it would be both discreet and I wouldn't have to go to the market or the lady everytime I have cravings.
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#8387 Jul 31, 2014
@mobu I understand. She might not want to share that bcz she will lose you as a customer.
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#8388 Jul 31, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
<quoted text>
@Ann, I do eat my clay in private, its just that he knows I eat it. I told him coz I was tired of always being afraid that when he is around he might open somewhere, where I happen to have hid it and then I would have had to explain akwardly. Even when he is around I put my clay away out of sight.
The lady won't understand why she has to put it in a paper bag, because clay is sold openly in S.A. Also she wouldn't care for the extra paper bag cost. However I will ask her. Infact I wanna ask her where she gets her supply from, maybe I could buy one of those big sacks of clay... That way it would be both discreet and I wouldn't have to go to the market or the lady everytime I have cravings.
You could also bring your own paper or opaque plastic bag to the store, and have her put the clay in for you to carry home.
Here, it's very common for people to bring their own bags to the grocery store, and I always bring an opaque bag when I have to go get chalk, so I can carry it home without random nosy people staring or asking me if I'm a teacher.
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#8390 Jul 31, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
You could also bring your own paper or opaque plastic bag to the store, and have her put the clay in for you to carry home.
Here, it's very common for people to bring their own bags to the grocery store, and I always bring an opaque bag when I have to go get chalk, so I can carry it home without random nosy people staring or asking me if I'm a teacher.
Lol I don't walk round with the clay in my hands, usually what happens is that the chucks sit there openly, and she gives me a small see through plastic bag, I choose my own chuncks and put them in that plastic bag, after that I put that bag in my hand bag and walk on. The process of picking the chunks and putting them in the plastic bag is the one that gets by passers and other customers staring. Coz she doesn't only sell clay, customers there buying something else will stare @ you like clay is not common in our country... But anyway ill make a plan to go to the market soon, just wish I could buy lots of clay so that I don't have to constanly go there. Thanks for the help guys, talking bout it just makes it so much better.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8391 Jul 31, 2014
I have a question for the American based clay people..Actually 2. Is there ever a shortage of white dirt/kaolin and is there anyone interested n starting up a little clay business...A friend of mine was asking if I could put these 2 questions up for her...
ann

Bronx, NY

#8393 Jul 31, 2014
@suri They have a lot of kaolin clay in the south but it is not common in other states so it can be hard to get it. We have to buy it on line , also sometimes we are disappointed because it is lacking in earthiness and other things we desire in the clay. You are also able to go to a mine and dig fresh clay we do no have that luxury. I am not sure if the quality of the clay remains the same. The eating of clay is also frowned upon here in the U.S. They will say that we do this because it is psychological problem that needs addressing.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8394 Jul 31, 2014
ann wrote:
@suri They have a lot of kaolin clay in the south but it is not common in other states so it can be hard to get it. We have to buy it on line , also sometimes we are disappointed because it is lacking in earthiness and other things we desire in the clay. You are also able to go to a mine and dig fresh clay we do no have that luxury. I am not sure if the quality of the clay remains the same. The eating of clay is also frowned upon here in the U.S. They will say that we do this because it is psychological problem that needs addressing.
And you have people eating cockroaches,grasshoppers and spiders...Snakes,cats,dogs,rat s and that is considered a delicatesse....But if you eat clay it is a disease......It is just one of the many wonders given to us by mother nature to use as we see fit....Nobody should frown upon it.I am sure that the very people that frown upon it enjoy their clay as well......
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8395 Jul 31, 2014
And it is okay to eat leaves and grasses and stuff.........So just because we walk all over it all day clay/dirt is bad?......Is that why it is beneath humans to eat it????
ann

New York, NY

#8396 Jul 31, 2014
@Suri yes that about sums it up. I want to know how salt is explained it is a part of the earth as well. Clay has been used medicinal all over the world for centuries. Many of us are looking for that satisfying clay that when we eat it we do not have to go looking for another one. It seems to be the case with clay here in the U.S. I find that abroad their are variety that clay lovers can choose from. I do not think they have smoked clay here in the U.S. I would love to try a variety.
Kellzgirl

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8398 Aug 1, 2014
ann wrote:
@Suri yes that about sums it up. I want to know how salt is explained it is a part of the earth as well. Clay has been used medicinal all over the world for centuries. Many of us are looking for that satisfying clay that when we eat it we do not have to go looking for another one. It seems to be the case with clay here in the U.S. I find that abroad their are variety that clay lovers can choose from. I do not think they have smoked clay here in the U.S. I would love to try a variety.
I have been wondering if there is a way to smoke our white dirt. I don't think anyone here in the U.S. does it but there must be a way.
ann

New York, NY

#8399 Aug 1, 2014
Kellzgirl wrote:
<quoted text> I have been wondering if there is a way to smoke our white dirt. I don't think anyone here in the U.S. does it but there must be a way.
Maybe if we have a smoker or on the barbie.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8400 Aug 1, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if we have a smoker or on the barbie.
I saw a vid on you tube where the ladies in africa were smoking ayilo....I think they smoke it the same way here.....
Curious

United States

#8401 Aug 1, 2014
Kellzgirl wrote:
<quoted text> I have been wondering if there is a way to smoke our white dirt. I don't think anyone here in the U.S. does it but there must be a way.
Probably on the grill or something that'll give off a smoky flavor. I don't think an oven will do because that's just baking it. But I believe if you can start up the grill & put a couple of chunks in aluminum foil & wrap it up & put it on the grill for a few minutes . But constantly check on it .

That makes me wonder is white dirt the only dirt we actually have access to in the United States? That's the only dirt I eat because I know Mavu clay will be expensive due to shipping .
Morales4

Lancaster, PA

#8403 Aug 1, 2014
suri clay wrote:
I have a question for the American based clay people..Actually 2. Is there ever a shortage of white dirt/kaolin and is there anyone interested n starting up a little clay business...A friend of mine was asking if I could put these 2 questions up for her...
Yes I will...I am getting a shipment from India of the gray roasted chunk clay. If anyone is interested
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8404 Aug 1, 2014
Morales4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I will...I am getting a shipment from India of the gray roasted chunk clay. If anyone is interested
Where do you live?
georgie

Kissimmee, FL

#8405 Aug 1, 2014
Omg is it the old school anridust crayola school chalk?? Thats what I was hooked on until they chan(ed it to gross plaster of paris! Where on earth is this store your talking about?? Noone sells that anymore except ebay wherenpeople take advantage of us picans and charge 100 dollars a friggin box! Thats why I love white dirt now...its like th e part of the chalk they took o it. I am ordering from Homegrown White Dirt for th e first time...did anyone have good/ bad experiences? I justbdont want it to be gritty or weirdly sour. Im hoping its very very very crunchy
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
What type is it? Can you try to describe it lol
I have lots of boxes here, but none are quite right - including some of my favourite so far which is plain Crayola but it isn't crunchy enough. I will try to get some from the store that usually carries the crunchy type (even though the box looks the same the chalk inside is much better). The people who work there are probably starting to wonder what I do with all the chalk lol.
ann

New York, NY

#8406 Aug 2, 2014
@georgie you can bake it a little and it will get crunchy or you can also sit it to dry. Do not put it next to any aromatics bcz it will absorb the aroma of what it is around. Georgia white dirt is too expensive. They do not give you a full lb in the bag. I usually get from mutt and Jeff. 10 lbs for 20$.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Artisan meat to make debut 12 hr They cannot kill ... 2
News Police investigating Ariana Grande's video doug... 13 hr Airhead Sucks 7
News Meet a Minion at Peak of the Market's Family Fu... 19 hr Piqued at the Market 1
Top Ten Myths About a Gluten-Free Diet 20 hr Cooking2Thrive 1
if todays cooking dont look good 21 hr food chemistry 1
Become inspired by global flavours every night ... 22 hr FoodLover 1
News Columbus has exotic-tasting frozen treats from ... Mon BIzzy Bee II 2
More from around the web