Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9042 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8342 Jul 24, 2014
I went to our own Amazone forrest to get my hands on those chunks.First it was a four hour drive and after that it was a two hour boat ride along the rapids.But the scenery was so beautiful.I enjoyed everything,accept for those big,scary ass spiders.And the claypit is really large....You can dig up all the clay you can carry for free....When you take the clay out it is kind of enwrapped in red,which you have to hack off and then you have beautiful white clay chunks like in te pictures.......Only much bigger....So the clay is for free,but getting to the source is quite expensive.....That is why it is much cheaper to buy it from the market,but unfortunatly they don't sell chunks that big and they can taste less earthy than the ones you dig up yourself........Sometimes it tastes earthy,sometimes it tastes like flour.....I guess it depends on how it is handeled and stored....I was glad to get my hands on the earthy chunks right out of the pit...But I'll have to send the ones from the market to MAVU now....Hope I find a good batch of it........
ann

New York, NY

#8343 Jul 24, 2014
@Suri clay The trip is worth it when you are able to carry a lot out that way you do not have to go back for a long time. Nothing beats digging fresh clay. You can taste it before you take it home. The red part is that clay as well.
Those were some huge clay chunk. The fresh ones might help MAVU make up her mind. That was nice of you to travel so far for those of us who love clay. Yummy!!!
Facefaceface

Washington, DC

#8344 Jul 24, 2014
suri clay wrote:
I went to our own Amazone forrest to get my hands on those chunks.First it was a four hour drive and after that it was a two hour boat ride along the rapids.But the scenery was so beautiful.I enjoyed everything,accept for those big,scary ass spiders.And the claypit is really large....You can dig up all the clay you can carry for free....When you take the clay out it is kind of enwrapped in red,which you have to hack off and then you have beautiful white clay chunks like in te pictures.......Only much bigger....So the clay is for free,but getting to the source is quite expensive.....That is why it is much cheaper to buy it from the market,but unfortunatly they don't sell chunks that big and they can taste less earthy than the ones you dig up yourself........Sometimes it tastes earthy,sometimes it tastes like flour.....I guess it depends on how it is handeled and stored....I was glad to get my hands on the earthy chunks right out of the pit...But I'll have to send the ones from the market to MAVU now....Hope I find a good batch of it........
Oh wow.
I had no idea you had to go through all that for those chunks....I thought you just bought them from the market like normal.

In light of that, it's not so funny anymore that your friends ate it all. At least six hours of travel and the effort to dig it up, basically wasted. How awful.
So when they pay you back, will it be for the cost of your travel or will they just pay you the value of the clay?

And I have a question, when you dig it up, is it moist and then you dry it out to get the crunchy chunks?
Or do you kind of chip it out of the claypit in the dry chunk form?
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8345 Jul 24, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
It sucks big time.......And I was pretty upset.But I must be honest...If someone had send that to me,I might have done the same thing not having had any clay for a long time.........But it still sucks.....
Yeah it sucks I think it would of been common courtesy to just give us heads up that they weren't going to send anything to mavu. Oh well though hopefully you're able to get it to mavu soon..curious about the outcome lol
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8346 Jul 24, 2014
suri clay wrote:
That sounds like quite a journey!n the sights must be amazing but I can totally understand why there would b a harsh price, although beautiful doesn't sound like the easiest trip
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8347 Jul 25, 2014
I normally do buy at the market,but I wanted to send over freshly dug for MAVU,since that is the best way to go.When it is dug it is a bit moist,but with the kind of sun we have here,by the time you journey back the clay is completely dry.You do also have some dry clay chips,but when you dig out big chunks they tend to be less dry.And all you can carry for free really is amazing.But I found this lady,that travels over there a lot for the same reason,so maybe she can get me some....Will ask her next time I see her.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8348 Jul 25, 2014
suri clay wrote:
I normally do buy at the market,but I wanted to send over freshly dug for MAVU,since that is the best way to go.When it is dug it is a bit moist,but with the kind of sun we have here,by the time you journey back the clay is completely dry.You do also have some dry clay chips,but when you dig out big chunks they tend to be less dry.And all you can carry for free really is amazing.But I found this lady,that travels over there a lot for the same reason,so maybe she can get me some....Will ask her next time I see her.
I hope it works out with the lady suri.

I would love to visit a clay pit! I am still hoping to find pure clay here, and there is supposed to be some here in a certain part of the island. I have gotten excited a few times when I thought I saw clay, but it turned out to be very hard limestone.
Smore

Washington, DC

#8349 Jul 25, 2014
zenith wrote:
i am from india and i bet u will forget all other types once u taste the roasted clay from india.i can get it for u . cost 5$ per kg. shipping charges extra. i just love roasted clay.
Zenith, do u still sell this clay?
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8350 Jul 25, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope it works out with the lady suri.
I would love to visit a clay pit! I am still hoping to find pure clay here, and there is supposed to be some here in a certain part of the island. I have gotten excited a few times when I thought I saw clay, but it turned out to be very hard limestone.
Yes,I recall you talking about that clay that is suposed to be there for a while now.It is a shame you still haven't found it..I will certainly get back to those pits and when I do,I will take some pictures for you guys......I normally leave my camera and phone at home in fear that I might lose them when over the rapids,because it can be a wild ride....But I will do my best to take pictures.It is kind of amazing standing in a pit,surrounded by your favorite thing to eat....You can just reach out and break of a piece and pop it in your mouth....I wish I could be over there all the time.......
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8351 Jul 25, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,I recall you talking about that clay that is suposed to be there for a while now.It is a shame you still haven't found it..I will certainly get back to those pits and when I do,I will take some pictures for you guys......I normally leave my camera and phone at home in fear that I might lose them when over the rapids,because it can be a wild ride....But I will do my best to take pictures.It is kind of amazing standing in a pit,surrounded by your favorite thing to eat....You can just reach out and break of a piece and pop it in your mouth....I wish I could be over there all the time.......
That would be terrifying for me, taking a wild ride over the rapids. But if I knew that at the end I could collect as much clay as I wanted I bet I could overcome my fear lol.

I have a few people on the lookout for clay for me but I hope to take a walk around the area that supposedly has it to see for myself. The area is even called Claytown, so where is the clay?(I believe they used to quarry a lot of limestone there, but yet they called it Claytown so it must be true about the clay unless maybe they used to refer to limestone as clay.)
ann

Bronx, NY

#8352 Jul 25, 2014
@ suri clay I noticed you had some red clay. Do they have red clay in the pits that you get the kaolin or Do you get that from another site?
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8353 Jul 25, 2014
ann wrote:
@ suri clay I noticed you had some red clay. Do they have red clay in the pits that you get the kaolin or Do you get that from another site?
The red clay is from a different site,actually....But I am afraid it is more like loose sand when you try to eat it and I am pretty sure there is a lot of bauxite in it.....So not for human consumption...I tried it once.....It is very earthy....Maybe would be perfect to have a very little bit of it mixed in with the chunks......I am currently on the look out for chunks with small traces of red,orange an yellow in them....As they taste the best......
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8354 Jul 25, 2014
So I've been over indulging on chalk again surprise surprise well tHis time I took something To clean my bowels n boy did it work let's just say I'm happy I was able to use an industrial/commercial toilet when the big relief came sorry for tmi but now my stomach really hurts almosT like it's been emptied n whatever is in there is trying to move down that's what I get for dining on so much chalk yet with all these complications I still don't stop I just figure it's better than my former addiction sigh..I know I must sound so weird but I can't talk about this with anyone around me
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#8355 Jul 25, 2014
Crazy 4stuff, I understand this is the place where many of us come to vent. It is almost like writing in a journal. Not weird at all that problem sometimes we stifle what we wish to express bcz of how others will react and sometimes it is just part of life.
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8356 Jul 26, 2014
ann wrote:
Crazy 4stuff, I understand this is the place where many of us come to vent. It is almost like writing in a journal. Not weird at all that problem sometimes we stifle what we wish to express bcz of how others will react and sometimes it is just part of life.
Thanks for being understanding, this forum has been very helpful to me I feel like it has even helped me cut down a bit.before I was consuming at least 5 boxes a day note I'm down to 3 I know that's still a lot but I see progress thanks everyone for reading without being judgemental
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8357 Jul 26, 2014
I am craving clay so badly right now...................:-).
anjali

Toronto, Canada

#8358 Jul 26, 2014
ann

Bronx, NY

#8359 Jul 26, 2014
anjali wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =XRb5v8FMUlIXX
nice!! It is quite interesting the variety of clay that is all over the world. Also the vast amount of colors that their is.
crazy 4 stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#8360 Jul 27, 2014
anjali wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =XRb5v8FMUlIXX
Very very nice video would like to see what they do too the clay after
Facefaceface

Washington, DC

#8361 Jul 27, 2014
I love when I open a box of chalk and find that the sticks are completely pulverized.
It's so much more dusty and crumbly that way, and it's more convenient to have the chalk already in chunks, instead of having to break up the sticks by hand. Only problem is that it's impossible to keep count of how much chalk I've eaten when it's all jumbled up like that and before I know it, the whole box is gone lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Restaurant review: Tacos Don Cuco is classic Me... 3 hr Richard Crosno 3
News How the $15 minimum wage could become a new div... 7 hr Fart news 710
News Six Vegetarian Dishes at St. Louis Barbecue Res... 9 hr DARPA 2
News Slick Cups Announces A Sale To Celebrate Nation... 19 hr Kevn 1
Poll No smoking in Restaurants... (Oct '07) 19 hr Sneaky Pete 1,804
News The most technologically advanced country in th... (Jul '08) Fri Elizabethr 55
News Rep. McGovern, on a tour in Northbridge, touts ... Thu Empty Suits 1
More from around the web