Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,482
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
crazy 4 stuff

Whittier, CA

#8249 Jul 12, 2014
I've found that my pica goes beyond chalk sometimes I find myself eating shelled peanuts just for the shell or roasted chilies
UK CLAY

Towcester, UK

#8250 Jul 13, 2014
Guys, I am planning on leaving this clay habit once I've gone through my stash of Ayilo

I hate how it controls my life and I hate how when I don't have any it controls my moods

Does anyone have any advice on how I could go about this as it is my first time ever deciding to this after 10 years of eating it
tonia

UK

#8251 Jul 13, 2014
Clay is bad and dergerious to ur life, it kill slowing
Adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#8252 Jul 13, 2014
UK CLAY wrote:
Guys, I am planning on leaving this clay habit once I've gone through my stash of Ayilo
I hate how it controls my life and I hate how when I don't have any it controls my moods
Does anyone have any advice on how I could go about this as it is my first time ever deciding to this after 10 years of eating it
that is the first step. Very difficult and doable.
UK CLAY

Towcester, UK

#8253 Jul 13, 2014
Adaku wrote:
<quoted text> that is the first step. Very difficult and doable.
I've read so many of your post Adaku and you're such an inspiration especially as you would have up to 1kg of nzu a day if you could. Do give me any tips and tricks you've used over the years to help a sister out
crazy 4 stuff

Rowland Heights, CA

#8254 Jul 13, 2014
UK CLAY wrote:
I know exactly how u feel except my addiction is chalk I've got half a box left which will be gone any minute and once it is I don't plan on buying more, I hope I can stop off not completely at least for a while
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8255 Jul 14, 2014
UK CLAY wrote:
Are you anaemic? If so I would suggest getting treatment for this because it may reduce or eliminate your cravings making it easy to give up the clay.

You might want to consider taking the recommended amount of a powdered clay that has apparently been proven to provide trace minerals and is high in iron - you can google for brands If not familiar. That way you get a little taste of clay while taking something marketed as being good for you.

Another thing you could do is try what you think might be a good substitute for clay - but the risk is getting hooked on the substitute! I have done this a couple of times and is how I got hooked on DE (but I think it is manageable now)

Find foods that give you a similar mouth feel as clay. Some people say raw oatmeal helps them out for example. I like the taste and texture of fresh coconut and find unsweetened coconut water helps to ease my cravings too

I find that stress plays a big part in how strong my cravings are - so trying to control your stress levels if you have a lot of stress may make it easier.
Adaku

London, UK

#8256 Jul 14, 2014
UK CLAY wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read so many of your post Adaku and you're such an inspiration especially as you would have up to 1kg of nzu a day if you could. Do give me any tips and tricks you've used over the years to help a sister out
i will tell yu something weird. After eating clay especially the nzu type for so long I realised that I often struggled with remembering things. I found reading so difficult, I wish I could explain how. Before I have up nzu totally, I bought some forever living products and try to detox. While I was on it, I did not taste nzu becos my supplier ran out not becos of any other reason. I felt good and for the first time in years I read my books without that familiar tug of struggling. But yu knw how the craves are, I bought my stash again after my supplier restocked and even though I was still detoxing, I could feel the struggle creeping in again, I couldn't explain it so I googled the effect of lead on the brain and realised it can cause short term memory issues amongst other things. I believe now that nzu has a lot of lead and considering how long I have been eating it, besides making me bleed and I do not doubt it has some CNS effects. Long story short, I have been off for over 7months which is the longest I have ever been, with the detox and healthy feeding I feel great and reading has been effortless for me.My check factor is the fact that I can read and retain which is a need stronger than the crave and I guess that is why I have managed to stye off it. Find that thing that is more important to you than clay/chalk and that may help.
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#8258 Jul 14, 2014
Also, cutting down on sugar and grains might help.
I notice my cravings are usually much more manageable and I eat much less chalk when I am eating a diet high in protein and veggies, but low in carbs.

When I have alot of sugar, bread, pasta, etc., boom...completely out of control.

That's really scary @Adaku.
I'm glad you were able to stop and the effects were reversible.
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#8259 Jul 14, 2014
Also nuts are very helpful with helping to quiet my cravings. I like the crunch and of course they taste good. But they are high in calories, so I don't suggest eating them all willy nilly.
UK CLAY

Towcester, UK

#8260 Jul 14, 2014
Thank you everyone for your support and tips. Just had my last chunk and will officially be starting tomorrow

Will definitely take on board the low sugar and more raw food! I'm not keen on piling on the pounds but I will try nuts with things get a little difficult

In regards to the pills, they never work for me. I have no idea why? Maybe I haven't been taking them long enough to work their magic but I will be relying on then alot more now
CrunchyT

Buffalo, NY

#8261 Jul 14, 2014
Hi everybody, I have been reading this board for a while but this is my first post. I am 38 and have been eating clay and chalk for 3 years now, on and off. My cravings started when my monthly bleeding increased. I have been diagnosed with fibroids about a year ago and my blood loss is severe. I am also anemic. I am convinced that cravings have to do with anemia. The problem is, iron is not easily absorbed from food/supplements taken orally. Also, if iron is taken with calcium (or you eat chalk/clay) it impedes the absorption even further. So for everyone who is trying to take iron supplements, take them at least two hours after you ate calcium rich foods (or clay/chalk) and give it a few hours for absorption before you eat clay/chalk again. It also helps to take iron with vitamin C, it helps absorption as well. I am now considering surgery to take care of my problem.
One more thing I wanted to share. I have recently purchased some clay from Good Ole Dirt website. They do advertise it as "sour clay". However, I did not expect it to be THAT sour! It literally tastes like it has been soaked in lemon juice. The clay has a bitter, chemical aftertaste and not very crunchy. Overall, NOT something I would recommend to those who look for earthy taste. The guest book on the seller's website has such great comments and not a single negative remark. I do not see how every single customer would be satisfied with that clay.
crazy 4 stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#8262 Jul 14, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
Also nuts are very helpful with helping to quiet my cravings. I like the crunch and of course they taste good. But they are high in calories, so I don't suggest eating them all willy nilly.
I agree nuts help for me peanuts do but I find myself eating shelled peanuts just for the shell if I had the choice I'd just eat the shell
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#8263 Jul 14, 2014
CrunchyT wrote:
Hi everybody, I have been reading this board for a while but this is my first post. I am 38 and have been eating clay and chalk for 3 years now, on and off. My cravings started when my monthly bleeding increased. I have been diagnosed with fibroids about a year ago and my blood loss is severe. I am also anemic. I am convinced that cravings have to do with anemia. The problem is, iron is not easily absorbed from food/supplements taken orally. Also, if iron is taken with calcium (or you eat chalk/clay) it impedes the absorption even further. So for everyone who is trying to take iron supplements, take them at least two hours after you ate calcium rich foods (or clay/chalk) and give it a few hours for absorption before you eat clay/chalk again. It also helps to take iron with vitamin C, it helps absorption as well. I am now considering surgery to take care of my problem.
One more thing I wanted to share. I have recently purchased some clay from Good Ole Dirt website. They do advertise it as "sour clay". However, I did not expect it to be THAT sour! It literally tastes like it has been soaked in lemon juice. The clay has a bitter, chemical aftertaste and not very crunchy. Overall, NOT something I would recommend to those who look for earthy taste. The guest book on the seller's website has such great comments and not a single negative remark. I do not see how every single customer would be satisfied with that clay.
I buy her clay every time I crave it which isn't often but shes my go to supplier and I absolutely love her clay. I don't recall it having a lemon flavor as many times I had bought from her. I'll say more of a bitter earthier flavor. To me it taste better than other white dirt clay, Everybody else clay taste plain to me.Have you tried any other white dirt supplier?
Mademoiselle

United States

#8264 Jul 14, 2014
What stores do you purchase the clay?
Soul Sista wrote:
<quoted text>
hiya i was just wondering where do u get ur red clay - golu i really wana try sum.x
shante

South Africa

#8265 Jul 15, 2014
Hi guys m a South african girl who loveeeeeeeees eating clay soil..I started eating it at the age of 16 nd just never stop,to me the cravings is very irresistible nd very hard to stop the addiction,trust me I have tried 4 the past 2years....My problem is when I eat it I tend 2 get very constipated,hence I have resulted 2 not swallowing but spiting out some of da big chunks I chew on...Would love to stop but hey dey will have to create a rehabilitation centre to help my addiction
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#8266 Jul 15, 2014
shante wrote:
Hi guys m a South african girl who loveeeeeeeees eating clay soil..I started eating it at the age of 16 nd just never stop,to me the cravings is very irresistible nd very hard to stop the addiction,trust me I have tried 4 the past 2years....My problem is when I eat it I tend 2 get very constipated,hence I have resulted 2 not swallowing but spiting out some of da big chunks I chew on...Would love to stop but hey dey will have to create a rehabilitation centre to help my addiction
So true. It is a difficult thing to stop. I think for some of us the texture and earthiness of the clay can get us. That crunch from that bite and the earthiness from it can make it taste so good. It can be a stress reliever for some reason. It is almost euphoric.
Mel

South Africa

#8267 Jul 15, 2014
Hi Shante,
Were bout in SA u from and wat types of clay have u eaten. I'm also from SA, I have tasted da white clay and da big blocks of yellow clay that is sold in JHB.
CrunchyT

Buffalo, NY

#8269 Jul 15, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I buy her clay every time I crave it which isn't often but shes my go to supplier and I absolutely love her clay. I don't recall it having a lemon flavor as many times I had bought from her. I'll say more of a bitter earthier flavor. To me it taste better than other white dirt clay, Everybody else clay taste plain to me.Have you tried any other white dirt supplier?
I tried GeorgiaWhiteDirt and Mutt and Jeff. To me, they have almost identical texture and taste, but Mutt and Jeff is a better value. I also tried several types of powdered clay purchased from amazon: red and green French clay powders (green clay shipped from Europe; not very expensive but two-three weeks waiting time), Indian healing clay, and yellow clay supplied by a specialty Russian store (this tastes the best, but it is the most expensive that I have tried).
Curious

Atlanta, GA

#8270 Jul 15, 2014
CrunchyT wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried GeorgiaWhiteDirt and Mutt and Jeff. To me, they have almost identical texture and taste, but Mutt and Jeff is a better value. I also tried several types of powdered clay purchased from amazon: red and green French clay powders (green clay shipped from Europe; not very expensive but two-three weeks waiting time), Indian healing clay, and yellow clay supplied by a specialty Russian store (this tastes the best, but it is the most expensive that I have tried).
Except for the yellow clay , which clay is your favorite clay ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Apple prize: Red delicious are anything but, so... 18 min Big Mac Loon DBS 1
Mormons carry a few more pounds (Feb '06) 6 hr TRUTH 299
Pizza Palace: Knoxville, Tennessee's Pizza Driv... (Jul '10) Fri Vern Schillinger 24
KFC unveils a triple meat Double Down Fri Speakeasy 1
Manny's moves into Sterling; Domino's departs D... (Feb '14) Fri kathykingery 3
8 million Ugandan children live in abject pover... Thu kizito 1
Mohawk Valley Memories Thu rustyshackleford 2

Food People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE