Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9213 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#8324 Jul 23, 2014
I know you're upset, but you have to admit, it's a little funny. I'm sure they really did intend to only eat a little bit, but didn't even realize just how much they were eating until it was all gone.
I can't blame them too hard either. Those chunks sure did look delicious.

But it is messed up that they didn't even send any to Mavu. You did send alot, and those chunks were hugeee. They could have split one chunk between them, and sent the others.

But at least they will pay you back for it and now you know not to trust them around your clay lmao.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8325 Jul 23, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
I know you're upset, but you have to admit, it's a little funny. I'm sure they really did intend to only eat a little bit, but didn't even realize just how much they were eating until it was all gone.
I can't blame them too hard either. Those chunks sure did look delicious.
But it is messed up that they didn't even send any to Mavu. You did send alot, and those chunks were hugeee. They could have split one chunk between them, and sent the others.
But at least they will pay you back for it and now you know not to trust them around your clay lmao.
That 's true....And I am upset they did not send a piece to Mavu,but I can also see them sitting around splitting the chunks amongst them....I think I would have a hard time keeping my hand to myself if I had that lying around,so I can't blame them...That is why I send it ASAP,else Mavu would have only gotten some crumbs an a bit of powder....LOL.....Since I broke a small piece of every chunk to see what it tasted like......Had a hard time myself keeping away from it...So posted it right away.....Haven't had any clay since then,but craving it every single minute.....
ann

Bronx, NY

#8326 Jul 23, 2014
@suri Did you know that they ate clay? They should not have opened the box. Kept it in the box or container. They truly enjoyed it.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8327 Jul 23, 2014
Wow suri that is some story.

I would be upset too, but if they are clay addicts (and it sounds like they are) I guess they just couldn't help themselves. It does seem rather greedy though - how many sisters are there lol!
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8328 Jul 23, 2014
Smore wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes thank you crazy 4 stuff, I did find him. He is out of India and can get me the clay I want! Thanks again!
Glad you were able to find it, do let us know how it taste
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8329 Jul 23, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Prang of course lol.
Nobody delivers Sargeant for some strange reason and Crayola is too hard and isn't creamy enough.
Crumbs are my favorite too!!
I usually tape the bottom of the box, to make sure that they don't fall out until I'm ready to eat them lol.
Have you ever crushed up your chalk and eaten it in powder form?
Sometimes, I think about doing that, but I'm too lazy and worry about the mess.
I think I need to start tapping the boxes too but then I think I'd end up eating tape cuss of the crumbs stuck to it lol
Actually what I love to do is crush it lightly with my teeth too ensure crumbs I know in so weird lol but I haven't taken it out of the box just to crush it I feel like I might waste more of it by doing that
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8330 Jul 23, 2014
suri clay wrote:
I am very upset.I send a package for Mavu with the big chunks of clay to a friend of mine who lives in Holland and they would post it from there,as shippingcosts here are quite expensive to send out a sample.So I called my friend today,to ask how MAVU's package was doing..So turns out that she and her sisters just ate it all..........They could not resist all of that clay.They were planning in just taking a small piece,but ended up eating the whole thing :-(.......
Wow that sucks I would be very upset with the friends if I was u
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8331 Jul 23, 2014
ann wrote:
@suri Did you know that they ate clay? They should not have opened the box. Kept it in the box or container. They truly enjoyed it.
No,I did not know they ate clay,but I had to tell my friend what was in the box...It was sealed nicely but they opened it at customs.For testing if it was really clay or if it was drugs.I hope they pay me back soon,so I can get to Mavu......
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8332 Jul 23, 2014
All things clay wrote:
Wow suri that is some story.
I would be upset too, but if they are clay addicts (and it sounds like they are) I guess they just couldn't help themselves. It does seem rather greedy though - how many sisters are there lol!
There are 5 sisters,so even if they only shared one chunk it would have been more then enough,wouldn't you say so??????
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8333 Jul 23, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow that sucks I would be very upset with the friends if I was u
It sucks big time.......And I was pretty upset.But I must be honest...If someone had send that to me,I might have done the same thing not having had any clay for a long time.........But it still sucks.....
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8334 Jul 23, 2014
Ackee wrote:
<quoted text>
looks like so many different layers of clay. what he dug out can a big bag a collect some. nice video. I do not eat clay as much as before but i Find it fascinating to see and look at it.
Man, i dont even know what i'd do if I found somewhere like this. I'd have to truck all of it home lol.
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8335 Jul 23, 2014
suri clay wrote:
I am very upset.I send a package for Mavu with the big chunks of clay to a friend of mine who lives in Holland and they would post it from there,as shippingcosts here are quite expensive to send out a sample.So I called my friend today,to ask how MAVU's package was doing..So turns out that she and her sisters just ate it all..........They could not resist all of that clay.They were planning in just taking a small piece,but ended up eating the whole thing :-(.......
Wow, that sucks. But couldn't they have asked you for some tho? I mean isn't it sold openly there so they didn't have to do that to you...
Suri Clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8336 Jul 24, 2014
Caribbean Clay Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, that sucks. But couldn't they have asked you for some tho? I mean isn't it sold openly there so they didn't have to do that to you...
It is sold openly here,but I think that in Holland there is still a lot of taboo on eating clay,so people are ashamed to go into the stores and buy clay...It is not like here in Suriname..
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#8338 Jul 24, 2014
Suri Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
It is sold openly here,but I think that in Holland there is still a lot of taboo on eating clay,so people are ashamed to go into the stores and buy clay...It is not like here in Suriname..
That's not surprising. Most Western societies frown upon geophagy.
I wish it wasn't like that.

It would be so much fun to go into a specialty clay shop where you could sample and buy all the different kinds, like how you have specialty cheese, wine, meat, whatever shops.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8339 Jul 24, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
There are 5 sisters,so even if they only shared one chunk it would have been more then enough,wouldn't you say so??????
Maybe they wouldn't have been tempted if the box hadn't been opened by customs. I admit I would have been tempted too!

Shared among five is less greedy though, lol. I'm wondering if for them it was like it is for me when I have a lot of clay. When I travel I buy a lot, and feel so 'rich' with clay I just eat and eat because it seems like I have so much...even though it wasn't theirs to eat I guess they couldn't help it.

I feel weak thinking about those big chunks of clay but am at work and have nothing. I can't wait to get to my car after work and have some of my DE mix.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8340 Jul 24, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be so much fun to go into a specialty clay shop where you could sample and buy all the different kinds, like how you have specialty cheese, wine, meat, whatever shops.
I would love that type shop!
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8341 Jul 24, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be so nice,to be able to try all the different clays from all over the world,as all we have here is the Kaolin clay.....I am very curious about the other kind of clays that I read so much about on the forum and on the different sites...
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8342 Jul 24, 2014
I went to our own Amazone forrest to get my hands on those chunks.First it was a four hour drive and after that it was a two hour boat ride along the rapids.But the scenery was so beautiful.I enjoyed everything,accept for those big,scary ass spiders.And the claypit is really large....You can dig up all the clay you can carry for free....When you take the clay out it is kind of enwrapped in red,which you have to hack off and then you have beautiful white clay chunks like in te pictures.......Only much bigger....So the clay is for free,but getting to the source is quite expensive.....That is why it is much cheaper to buy it from the market,but unfortunatly they don't sell chunks that big and they can taste less earthy than the ones you dig up yourself........Sometimes it tastes earthy,sometimes it tastes like flour.....I guess it depends on how it is handeled and stored....I was glad to get my hands on the earthy chunks right out of the pit...But I'll have to send the ones from the market to MAVU now....Hope I find a good batch of it........
ann

New York, NY

#8343 Jul 24, 2014
@Suri clay The trip is worth it when you are able to carry a lot out that way you do not have to go back for a long time. Nothing beats digging fresh clay. You can taste it before you take it home. The red part is that clay as well.
Those were some huge clay chunk. The fresh ones might help MAVU make up her mind. That was nice of you to travel so far for those of us who love clay. Yummy!!!
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8344 Jul 24, 2014
suri clay wrote:
I went to our own Amazone forrest to get my hands on those chunks.First it was a four hour drive and after that it was a two hour boat ride along the rapids.But the scenery was so beautiful.I enjoyed everything,accept for those big,scary ass spiders.And the claypit is really large....You can dig up all the clay you can carry for free....When you take the clay out it is kind of enwrapped in red,which you have to hack off and then you have beautiful white clay chunks like in te pictures.......Only much bigger....So the clay is for free,but getting to the source is quite expensive.....That is why it is much cheaper to buy it from the market,but unfortunatly they don't sell chunks that big and they can taste less earthy than the ones you dig up yourself........Sometimes it tastes earthy,sometimes it tastes like flour.....I guess it depends on how it is handeled and stored....I was glad to get my hands on the earthy chunks right out of the pit...But I'll have to send the ones from the market to MAVU now....Hope I find a good batch of it........
Oh wow.
I had no idea you had to go through all that for those chunks....I thought you just bought them from the market like normal.

In light of that, it's not so funny anymore that your friends ate it all. At least six hours of travel and the effort to dig it up, basically wasted. How awful.
So when they pay you back, will it be for the cost of your travel or will they just pay you the value of the clay?

And I have a question, when you dig it up, is it moist and then you dry it out to get the crunchy chunks?
Or do you kind of chip it out of the claypit in the dry chunk form?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Best places for breakfast in Buffalo: 5 WNY pla... (Dec '15) 2 hr Kilhoffer Street ... 4
News Top Three Restaurants in Florissant, Missouri (Apr '10) Sun Just precious 62
News Bruester's Ice Cream looking to open in next ye... Sat Melted 3
THAI FLAVORS: Chang Sensory Trails Sep 23 Mona Day 1
News Mediterranean Diet Can Lower Risk for Alzheimer... Sep 23 Stephany McDowell 1
News Karen Alexios has worked at Gold's Deli for ove... Sep 23 Samuels Furnace Man 9
News Magnificent Macedonia is one of Europe's undisc... Sep 23 MACEDONIA ISGREECE 68
More from around the web