Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#8284 Jul 17, 2014
Adaku wrote:
<quoted text>i think yu have to evacuate yur tummy, missing periods and vomiting though sounds quite preggy. Jus do preg test before start doing anything.
I definitely second that.
Pregnancy can also intensify cravings, so it may also be why you've been eating so much clay lately.
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8285 Jul 17, 2014
So I went a whole 4 days without chalk but today I broke n bought 12 boxes the store had so many but I only took twelve I wanted to take them all lol. At least I know I can give myself a couple days break I know it have me a chance to clear my valves lol
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8286 Jul 18, 2014
Morales04 wrote:
Hello all, I am looking for the gray backed clay from India. It is called Matti. Does anyone have a good supplier that I may buy some more clay from? Please let me know.
There is someone on fb I think their page is clay lovers maybe that's what you're looking for

Since: Jul 14

Lancaster, PA

#8287 Jul 18, 2014
I did order some clay from a supplier in Texas. I also ordered some online from Shikanen African store. I am getting that package today. Anyone have a better idea?
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8288 Jul 18, 2014
Hi my clay, chalk, cornstarch loving friends! Its been a while how's everybody doin?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8289 Jul 18, 2014
Caribbean Clay Lover wrote:
Hi my clay, chalk, cornstarch loving friends! Its been a while how's everybody doin?
Hi! Wow it has been a long while since we have heard from you. How are you, and how have you been making out?
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8290 Jul 18, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi! Wow it has been a long while since we have heard from you. How are you, and how have you been making out?
Hi ATC, I've been doing great except for the mad cravings. Yep, still have that lol. Have been eating clay which works well and some marl for it. How have you been?
looking for clay

Southlake, TX

#8291 Jul 18, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
I never understood how people can chew and then spit lol. I feel like I don't get the full taste without swallowing.
But if you haven't tried it, prune juice is powerful but gentle way to uncork yourself.
Have a big cup of prune juice and then another cup of warm water with lemon juice on an empty stomach.
If that doesn't work, take a shot of olive or coconut oil.
Chewing and spitting does feel funny at first. You feel a bit cheated. But after a while you appreciate it because you can crunch up big chunks without hurting yourself.
looking for clay

Southlake, TX

#8292 Jul 19, 2014
CrunchyT wrote:
Hi everybody, I have been reading this board for a while but this is my first post. I am 38 and have been eating clay and chalk for 3 years now, on and off. My cravings started when my monthly bleeding increased. I have been diagnosed with fibroids about a year ago and my blood loss is severe. I am also anemic. I am convinced that cravings have to do with anemia. The problem is, iron is not easily absorbed from food/supplements taken orally. Also, if iron is taken with calcium (or you eat chalk/clay) it impedes the absorption even further. So for everyone who is trying to take iron supplements, take them at least two hours after you ate calcium rich foods (or clay/chalk) and give it a few hours for absorption before you eat clay/chalk again. It also helps to take iron with vitamin C, it helps absorption as well. I am now considering surgery to take care of my problem.
One more thing I wanted to share. I have recently purchased some clay from Good Ole Dirt website. They do advertise it as "sour clay". However, I did not expect it to be THAT sour! It literally tastes like it has been soaked in lemon juice. The clay has a bitter, chemical aftertaste and not very crunchy. Overall, NOT something I would recommend to those who look for earthy taste. The guest book on the seller's website has such great comments and not a single negative remark. I do not see how every single customer would be satisfied with that clay.
My doctor told me that iron supplements, even under the best of circumstances are hard to absorb. Ask you doctor about iron infusions or injections.
looking for clay

Southlake, TX

#8293 Jul 19, 2014
Does anyone know how to purchase some good Odowa in the United States? I would like to try it just once.
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8295 Jul 19, 2014
Adaku wrote:
<quoted text>i will tell yu something weird. After eating clay especially the nzu type for so long I realised that I often struggled with remembering things. I found reading so difficult, I wish I could explain how. Before I have up nzu totally, I bought some forever living products and try to detox. While I was on it, I did not taste nzu becos my supplier ran out not becos of any other reason. I felt good and for the first time in years I read my books without that familiar tug of struggling. But yu knw how the craves are, I bought my stash again after my supplier restocked and even though I was still detoxing, I could feel the struggle creeping in again, I couldn't explain it so I googled the effect of lead on the brain and realised it can cause short term memory issues amongst other things. I believe now that nzu has a lot of lead and considering how long I have been eating it, besides making me bleed and I do not doubt it has some CNS effects. Long story short, I have been off for over 7months which is the longest I have ever been, with the detox and healthy feeding I feel great and reading has been effortless for me.My check factor is the fact that I can read and retain which is a need stronger than the crave and I guess that is why I have managed to stye off it. Find that thing that is more important to you than clay/chalk and that may help.
This is true Adaku. I found the same thing happening to me when i at some pieces of marl. I became slightly disoriented and could not rem what i was doing b4 i ate it or what i wanted to do next. Had to pause for a bit to rem and i am in my early 30s. I checked the marl and found veins of black stuff inside it which i am sure was lead because i tasted it as well. Another thing we have to careful of is alu & mercury. The alu is in a lot of the red clay we eat. You will have to do a special test on it to find out if the theres alu in the clay. I found a kit online for this btw which i will try soon when i get a large amount of clay to last me a while.
http://www.novadetox.co.uk/acatalog/heavy-met...

But the thing with alu is that it stays inside our organs for years and could cause things like alzeheimers and breast cancer in latter years. All these clays are tempting but we have to be careful.

@ UK Clay, if you can find it in you to stop, I would encourage you to try and do this... Or at least reduce your intake significantly. Some things are good but not when its an addiction.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8296 Jul 19, 2014
<quoted text>
Hi ATC, I've been doing great except for the mad cravings. Yep, still have that lol. Have been eating clay which works well and some marl for it. How have you been?
I'm doing ok. Still have cravings for clay chunks but haven't had any for a while since I mainly only pick it up when I travel. Have given up eating the marl type stuff I used to find here, and have also given up chalk and only rarely have a spoonful of cornstarch.

My staple right now is DE, mixed with a little Redmond brand clay and charcoal powder. I love it, and think it is a healthy mix. Can't wait to get my hands on some nice clay chunks though!
Ackee

Bronx, NY

#8297 Jul 19, 2014
CCL, where do you get your clay from in Ja? When i was there I notice what appear to be kaolin clay as I was driving around the Island. Big white blocks of clay. Next time I go I am going to stop at the roadside and check to see. It looks like some of the pictures I have seen on line.
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8298 Jul 19, 2014
Ackee wrote:
CCL, where do you get your clay from in Ja? When i was there I notice what appear to be kaolin clay as I was driving around the Island. Big white blocks of clay. Next time I go I am going to stop at the roadside and check to see. It looks like some of the pictures I have seen on line.
I get mine from those piles of marl/clay they use at construction sites. The stones are some type of hard crystal looking stone and marl but the orange/brown parts is clay. I wash that off, boil and dry it. Its really creamy, smooth an very earthy!! There are piles of it all over JA but I never really found where the source of it is. It is very clean tho cos i could leave it for days in water and it doesn't smell or grows fungus or anything. I think what you are seeing could be what I'm talkin about but send pics and I'll tell if its the same thing. I will try to post what i'm using here too.
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8299 Jul 19, 2014
<quoted text>
I get mine from those piles of marl/clay they use at construction sites. The stones are some type of hard crystal looking stone and marl but the orange/brown parts is clay. I wash that off, boil and dry it. Its really creamy, smooth an very earthy!! There are piles of it all over JA but I never really found where the source of it is. It is very clean tho cos i could leave it for days in water and it doesn't smell or grows fungus or anything. I think what you are seeing could be what I'm talkin about but send pics and I'll tell if its the same thing. I will try to post what i'm using here too.
Another thing is that i don't get the side effects of memory loss and pain when i eat this too.
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8300 Jul 19, 2014
<quoted text>
Another thing is i don't get the side effects of memory loss and pain when i eat this so thats a major plus.
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8301 Jul 19, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm doing ok. Still have cravings for clay chunks but haven't had any for a while since I mainly only pick it up when I travel. Have given up eating the marl type stuff I used to find here, and have also given up chalk and only rarely have a spoonful of cornstarch.
My staple right now is DE, mixed with a little Redmond brand clay and charcoal powder. I love it, and think it is a healthy mix. Can't wait to get my hands on some nice clay chunks though!
Okay good to hear. Wish I could try that DE stuff you mention coz I read that the food grade ones is really healthy.
Ackee

Bronx, NY

#8302 Jul 19, 2014
CCL I have a picture but I am not sure how to post it on this page. I remember seeing it when we were driving from MObay To St. Ann and I looked an thought that looks like clay. It looks exactly like the picture on eat white dirt FB page. When I return I plan to stop and collect some. Which part of JA are you from?
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8303 Jul 20, 2014
Ackee wrote:
CCL I have a picture but I am not sure how to post it on this page. I remember seeing it when we were driving from MObay To St. Ann and I looked an thought that looks like clay. It looks exactly like the picture on eat white dirt FB page. When I return I plan to stop and collect some. Which part of JA are you from?
Ackee, if you find any clay here in JA like what I saw on the eat white dirt FB page please find my address! But I don't think its the same thing I am using tho. Mine is slightly orange (brown when its washed and dried) with alot of white marl in it. Will show you in a few days. Try creating a flickr account and post your pics from there.
Ackee

Bronx, NY

#8304 Jul 20, 2014
<quoted text>
Ackee, if you find any clay here in JA like what I saw on the eat white dirt FB page please find my address! But I don't think its the same thing I am using tho. Mine is slightly orange (brown when its washed and dried) with alot of white marl in it. Will show you in a few days. Try creating a flickr account and post your pics from there.
Will do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Food4Kids has local drop-off point (Dec '13) 19 hr Gtown Bread Basket 3
News Goat milk? Family spends days tending to furry ... Wed notfromhere 1
News Fred & Bettie Lee Gaskins named 2010 Oyster Fes... (Oct '10) Oct 16 exposed 2
News Shorty's Place changing ownership and management (Jul '14) Oct 16 Anonymous 22
News Rhod Gilbert reveals weird potato tattoo during... Oct 15 Mitt s Airtight D... 2
News A trip to Flavortown: Inside Guy Fieri's Americ... Oct 15 sammy 2
News Lakeland Seeking Ways To Handle Homelessness (Jul '10) Oct 15 Ha Ha unemployable 17
More from around the web