Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9234 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

crazy 4 stuff

San Diego, CA

#8236 Jul 10, 2014
Is it just me or does it seem like maybe the settings were changed on the fb pages I felt like I could see more stuff before maybe it's because I haven't liked the pages but I just don't have the guts
Curious

Locust Grove, GA

#8237 Jul 10, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
Is it just me or does it seem like maybe the settings were changed on the fb pages I felt like I could see more stuff before maybe it's because I haven't liked the pages but I just don't have the guts
Don't feel ashamed . I haven't liked the pages neither . But I want to but I don't have the courage . I feel like if I like the page it'll show up on my page saying that I liked it & my friends & family will see I liked a page called "edible clay" or "why we love & crave clay"
Icy chalk

Mount Vernon, NY

#8238 Jul 10, 2014
Ok...so I finally got my white dirt from Mutt and Jeff. It's def crunchier than Leslie's and less sticky but still sticks nonetheless. My mouth gets tired trying to get it off the roof of my mouth. I don't love the taste or the creaminess .. I really want to like it but I guess white kaolin clay is just not for me.:(
I'll gladly send it to anyone that wants it for the cost of shipping. I'm just not sure how.
ann

Bronx, NY

#8239 Jul 10, 2014
Icy chalk wrote:
Ok...so I finally got my white dirt from Mutt and Jeff. It's def crunchier than Leslie's and less sticky but still sticks nonetheless. My mouth gets tired trying to get it off the roof of my mouth. I don't love the taste or the creaminess .. I really want to like it but I guess white kaolin clay is just not for me.:(
I'll gladly send it to anyone that wants it for the cost of shipping. I'm just not sure how.
Maybe you need to bake it in the oven. I think one of those sites either leslie or wanda's have a baking method. Sometimes you can find so crunchy pieces that are not creamy in other bags. I know that some bags had crunchy pieces as well as creamy ones. I think their is also a microwave method of making it crunchier. I know sometimes I do not like it at first and after eating it for a couple of day it begins to taste real good. This is just a suggestion and then again you are probably just used to your chalk.
Curious

Locust Grove, GA

#8240 Jul 10, 2014
Icy chalk wrote:
Also try putting it in a brown paper bag over night . It'll dry it out a little more , making it more crunchier & earthy (if you like an earthy flavor) but don't just go by first impressions . Try some of the methods first & see do you like it after a few days .:) hope I helped
Icy chalk

Mount Vernon, NY

#8241 Jul 10, 2014
@Ann and curious, thanks for the suggestions! I will def give them a try.
crazy 4 stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#8242 Jul 11, 2014
I'm reading through old posts...would it be weird if I replied tho any? Lol
crazy 4 stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#8243 Jul 11, 2014
Curious wrote:
I meant to get some chalk yesterday while I was at the store . But I was doing so much running around I forgot about getting them . I wanted to try & put them in some dirt to see will they catch that earthy flavor .
I've done that and it works for me they absorb the smell of the dirt with the texture of chalk, awesome combination for me
crazy 4 stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#8244 Jul 11, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't feel ashamed . I haven't liked the pages neither . But I want to but I don't have the courage . I feel like if I like the page it'll show up on my page saying that I liked it & my friends & family will see I liked a page called "edible clay" or "why we love & crave clay"
That's my exact dilemma..I really want to be able to see as much as I used to able to but now I can't n I just don't want it showing on my page
Curious

Locust Grove, GA

#8245 Jul 11, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
I've done that and it works for me they absorb the smell of the dirt with the texture of chalk, awesome combination for me
Glad to hear .
Curious

Locust Grove, GA

#8246 Jul 11, 2014
Really craving some clay right now . Might put in a order for Wanda dirt . Hopefully it'll come early next week .
SMora

Lancaster, PA

#8248 Jul 12, 2014
Hello, I am also craving the clay or matti as we call it in india. I got some from a local indian grocery store. But then they ran out of stock. I've been looki g everywhere and can not find anyone who has it. The matti I eatnis a grey color and has an smooth and crumbly texture to it. Can someone please tell me where I can guy some?
crazy 4 stuff

San Diego, CA

#8249 Jul 12, 2014
I've found that my pica goes beyond chalk sometimes I find myself eating shelled peanuts just for the shell or roasted chilies
UK CLAY

Gretton, UK

#8250 Jul 13, 2014
Guys, I am planning on leaving this clay habit once I've gone through my stash of Ayilo

I hate how it controls my life and I hate how when I don't have any it controls my moods

Does anyone have any advice on how I could go about this as it is my first time ever deciding to this after 10 years of eating it
tonia

UK

#8251 Jul 13, 2014
Clay is bad and dergerious to ur life, it kill slowing
Adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#8252 Jul 13, 2014
UK CLAY wrote:
Guys, I am planning on leaving this clay habit once I've gone through my stash of Ayilo
I hate how it controls my life and I hate how when I don't have any it controls my moods
Does anyone have any advice on how I could go about this as it is my first time ever deciding to this after 10 years of eating it
that is the first step. Very difficult and doable.
UK CLAY

Gretton, UK

#8253 Jul 13, 2014
Adaku wrote:
<quoted text> that is the first step. Very difficult and doable.
I've read so many of your post Adaku and you're such an inspiration especially as you would have up to 1kg of nzu a day if you could. Do give me any tips and tricks you've used over the years to help a sister out
crazy 4 stuff

South El Monte, CA

#8254 Jul 13, 2014
UK CLAY wrote:
I know exactly how u feel except my addiction is chalk I've got half a box left which will be gone any minute and once it is I don't plan on buying more, I hope I can stop off not completely at least for a while
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8255 Jul 14, 2014
UK CLAY wrote:
Are you anaemic? If so I would suggest getting treatment for this because it may reduce or eliminate your cravings making it easy to give up the clay.

You might want to consider taking the recommended amount of a powdered clay that has apparently been proven to provide trace minerals and is high in iron - you can google for brands If not familiar. That way you get a little taste of clay while taking something marketed as being good for you.

Another thing you could do is try what you think might be a good substitute for clay - but the risk is getting hooked on the substitute! I have done this a couple of times and is how I got hooked on DE (but I think it is manageable now)

Find foods that give you a similar mouth feel as clay. Some people say raw oatmeal helps them out for example. I like the taste and texture of fresh coconut and find unsweetened coconut water helps to ease my cravings too

I find that stress plays a big part in how strong my cravings are - so trying to control your stress levels if you have a lot of stress may make it easier.
Adaku

UK

#8256 Jul 14, 2014
UK CLAY wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read so many of your post Adaku and you're such an inspiration especially as you would have up to 1kg of nzu a day if you could. Do give me any tips and tricks you've used over the years to help a sister out
i will tell yu something weird. After eating clay especially the nzu type for so long I realised that I often struggled with remembering things. I found reading so difficult, I wish I could explain how. Before I have up nzu totally, I bought some forever living products and try to detox. While I was on it, I did not taste nzu becos my supplier ran out not becos of any other reason. I felt good and for the first time in years I read my books without that familiar tug of struggling. But yu knw how the craves are, I bought my stash again after my supplier restocked and even though I was still detoxing, I could feel the struggle creeping in again, I couldn't explain it so I googled the effect of lead on the brain and realised it can cause short term memory issues amongst other things. I believe now that nzu has a lot of lead and considering how long I have been eating it, besides making me bleed and I do not doubt it has some CNS effects. Long story short, I have been off for over 7months which is the longest I have ever been, with the detox and healthy feeding I feel great and reading has been effortless for me.My check factor is the fact that I can read and retain which is a need stronger than the crave and I guess that is why I have managed to stye off it. Find that thing that is more important to you than clay/chalk and that may help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Central Ohio Catholics can ask for permission t... 5 hr jonjedi 5
News Farm-to-plate restaurant to set up shop in Quak... 6 hr Kitty 6
News Meet Josue Diaz: He left El Salvador for a safe... 16 hr Cops are Degenerates 22
News U.S. farm heartland lobbies to steer Trump away... 17 hr Mikey 6
News On Your Side - Pot Pie Recall (Oct '07) 22 hr pot pie joe 49
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) Wed WasPhart 206
News Where to Find the Best Fried Chicken in H-Town Wed Choose phartss 3
More from around the web