Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Adaku

UK

#8194 Jun 29, 2014
ackee wrote:
Hello Everyone, hope all is well. I do miss all the wonderful conversation with the old timer trying to figure out our reason for our clay consumption. Hi Adaku, Angela and everyone else. Hope you guys have a great summer.
ackeeeee been a big while! I'm ok craves are persistent... My sis in law is preggers now and she has been off clay too for 8months and cravings are roof high. She is trying to stay strong at least till she gives birth...hope yu r well
ackee

New York, NY

#8195 Jun 29, 2014
Oh Adaku I am happy to know you are doing well. Those cravings can be rough when they are persistent. I still nibble but not as much as I use to. I think small amounts now and then is okay. I also get iron intravenoysly and that helps. Well I guess eating clay did nor affect her with conception. I miss your wonderful and thoughtful insight and research on why we crave clay. Happy to hear from you Aunty to be. Lol.
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#8196 Jun 29, 2014
Just felt like i had to share...for me personally i became extremely addicted to chalk to replace my affliction to drugs. I was hooked. I couldn't sleep if i hadn't had any n I'm not talking about just pot, i was a snorter. I've been clean for almost 4 years now. But sometimes i feel like i could relapse n instead of looking for where to get drugs i submerge myself in chalk. I've always craved earthy substances but i really feel like chalk is my life saver when i feel like getting high. I know chalk is still my addiction but i know it's better than narcotics. I know lame but that's my story n reason behind my chalk addiction
Curious

Ellenwood, GA

#8197 Jun 30, 2014
Cravings are sky high & I'm currently eating ice ... Well sucking on it because I can't chew it . I have very sensitive teeth . I wonder how ice taste sooo much better in a solid form rather than a liquid form . Even though I can't chew on the ice , I'm craving a crunch . An earthy crunch . That sounds weird .
Curious

Ellenwood, GA

#8198 Jun 30, 2014
I wish there were YouTube videos of different people eating & discussing about chalk or clay like how there are TONS of different people eating corn starch .
crazy 4stuff w

Los Angeles, CA

#8199 Jun 30, 2014
Curious wrote:
I wish there were YouTube videos of different people eating & discussing about chalk or clay like how there are TONS of different people eating corn starch .
Yes! I feel the same way
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8200 Jul 1, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
Just felt like i had to share...for me personally i became extremely addicted to chalk to replace my affliction to drugs. I was hooked. I couldn't sleep if i hadn't had any n I'm not talking about just pot, i was a snorter. I've been clean for almost 4 years now. But sometimes i feel like i could relapse n instead of looking for where to get drugs i submerge myself in chalk. I've always craved earthy substances but i really feel like chalk is my life saver when i feel like getting high. I know chalk is still my addiction but i know it's better than narcotics. I know lame but that's my story n reason behind my chalk addiction
Congrats on your sobriety!! I'm proud of you!:D

And I think your story is really interesting. Not lame at all. It supports when people say that eating chalk or clay calms them down, because it shows that these things can work on the reward pathways of the brain, same way that cigarettes or drugs can.

It also makes me wonder if it is possible for people to remain addicted to chalk or clay even after sorting out the deficiency that is causing the physical craving.
I've always assumed that once my anemia is properly sorted out and my nutrition goes back into balance, I'll go back to zero cravings like before.
But now I don't know, because I sure do love eating chalk. Maybe my brain is addicted to it too at this point lol.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8201 Jul 2, 2014
I am just finishing up the bag of DE that I kept in my car. It was so good. I had read someone here saying they put chalk in dirt for flavour (sorry can't remember who) so had been keeping a few pieces of chalk in the DE.

Well I didn't notice much change in the chalk, but the chalk gave a nice taste to the DE! Tastes like a nice white dirt.
Curious

Ellenwood, GA

#8202 Jul 2, 2014
All things clay wrote:
I am just finishing up the bag of DE that I kept in my car. It was so good. I had read someone here saying they put chalk in dirt for flavour (sorry can't remember who) so had been keeping a few pieces of chalk in the DE.
Well I didn't notice much change in the chalk, but the chalk gave a nice taste to the DE! Tastes like a nice white dirt.
Where do you get your DE ?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8203 Jul 2, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you get your DE ?
Here it is sold at a store selling products for the garden and animals
friend

Ellenwood, GA

#8204 Jul 2, 2014
the only way for people to start making videos on the YouTube is if one brave person starts to make countless videos about chalk or clay. they don't have to show their face...they could just be showing the clay/chalk or talking about it, chewing a few pieces so people can hear the crunch. when that bold person starts to make videos back to back then others too will make videos... cornstarch all started out w/ that Kenya lady..now there's a lot of videos about cornstarch. it just takes 1 bold person. Farewell
crazy 4stuff w

Hayward, CA

#8205 Jul 2, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats on your sobriety!! I'm proud of you!:D
And I think your story is really interesting. Not lame at all. It supports when people say that eating chalk or clay calms them down, because it shows that these things can work on the reward pathways of the brain, same way that cigarettes or drugs can.
It also makes me wonder if it is possible for people to remain addicted to chalk or clay even after sorting out the deficiency that is causing the physical craving.
I've always assumed that once my anemia is properly sorted out and my nutrition goes back into balance, I'll go back to zero cravings like before.
But now I don't know, because I sure do love eating chalk. Maybe my brain is addicted to it too at this point lol.
Thanks so much it Means alot specially since no-one in my family really commends my sobriety i realize I've gone from one addiction to another but i think this one is not as bad. I have a very addictive personality so that doesn't help but i hope one day I'll overcome this addiction like i did With narcotics
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#8206 Jul 3, 2014
friend wrote:
the only way for people to start making videos on the YouTube is if one brave person starts to make countless videos about chalk or clay. they don't have to show their face...they could just be showing the clay/chalk or talking about it, chewing a few pieces so people can hear the crunch. when that bold person starts to make videos back to back then others too will make videos... cornstarch all started out w/ that Kenya lady..now there's a lot of videos about cornstarch. it just takes 1 bold person. Farewell
http://fr.tinypic.com/player.php...

Feel free to upload it on youtube if it can help...
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#8207 Jul 3, 2014
StoneCrusher wrote:
<quoted text>
http://fr.tinypic.com/player.php...
Feel free to upload it on youtube if it can help...
Can't view it :-\
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#8208 Jul 4, 2014
I've been over indulging. ..again. but this time i think it's really bad haven't been able to use the restroom in Almost A WEEK. Sooo uncomfortable yet I'm still eating chalk.ugh
looking for clay

Southlake, TX

#8209 Jul 4, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
I've been over indulging...again. but this time i think it's really bad haven't been able to use the restroom in Almost A WEEK. Sooo uncomfortable yet I'm still eating chalk.ugh
Is there any way you could chew up your chalk and then spit it out? That's what I do. That way I can enjoy a big chunk of white dirt every day (about the size of a small apple) and still be regular. I chew it up till all the crunch is gone and spit it into a paper towel. Getting that backed up has got to be dangerous. Please take care of yourself.
dirtnclay

Swansea, UK

#8210 Jul 4, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
I've been over indulging...again. but this time i think it's really bad haven't been able to use the restroom in Almost A WEEK. Sooo uncomfortable yet I'm still eating chalk.ugh
Oh no. Try 500ml warm water with the juice of half a lemon. Easy and natural way to get things moving!
Ray

Dhaka, Bangladesh

#8211 Jul 4, 2014
Try twinning's ginger n lemon tea(hot)..
crazy 4stuff w

San Diego, CA

#8212 Jul 5, 2014
looking for clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there any way you could chew up your chalk and then spit it out? That's what I do. That way I can enjoy a big chunk of white dirt every day (about the size of a small apple) and still be regular. I chew it up till all the crunch is gone and spit it into a paper towel. Getting that backed up has got to be dangerous. Please take care of yourself.
I've started to get a bit of relief slowly but surely ive tried to spit back out but it never works for me as i usually chew until the crunchy ness n smoothness is gone by then I've swallowed. However i started drinking hot water with lemon n it seems to be working hope it works faster though
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#8215 Jul 5, 2014
Hey everybody,finally back to my own self.Got the chunks for MAVU,on their way as we speak.Will post pictures later on on FB edible clay......Ann,how are you?Did not forget.....See those two smaller pieces????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News He's calling it Illegal Tacos: 'I know it's risky' 7 hr Goose 1
News Activist compares Detroit PETA billboard to KKK 11 hr alicia 6
News Antonio's to reopen former Italian restaurant i... (Jun '13) 23 hr WATCHING LIVONIA 24
News Moms' soda habit in pregnancy may boost kids' o... Wed AmeriBev 1
News Paul McCarthy: Going Vegan Is The Best Way To G... Dec 12 nat 2
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) Dec 11 RaidersPharts 263
News Longtime State Rep. Karen Clark Won't Seek Re-E... Dec 11 cowboy chris 4
More from around the web