Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,793
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#8054 Jun 8, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
What about Mutt and Jeff?
What about Mutt &Jeff? Have you tried them.
I'm 17 , currently still living w/ my parents until next month after I turn 18 . My parents doesn't know about my cravings . Nobody does except my bf who lives 45 mins from me . I'm already paranoid about just getting a pound of clay in the mail in a small box . So I'll be really paranoid about getting a bigger box coming to my house . I HAVE consider it , but I don't want to risk the asking of questions from my parents .:/ I just wish clay was cheaper . Like actually a dollar a bag plus shipping so really at least $5 for my order & that's shipping included .
Facefaceface

United States

#8055 Jun 9, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm 17 , currently still living w/ my parents until next month after I turn 18 . My parents doesn't know about my cravings . Nobody does except my bf who lives 45 mins from me . I'm already paranoid about just getting a pound of clay in the mail in a small box . So I'll be really paranoid about getting a bigger box coming to my house . I HAVE consider it , but I don't want to risk the asking of questions from my parents .:/ I just wish clay was cheaper . Like actually a dollar a bag plus shipping so really at least $5 for my order & that's shipping included .

Clay is easy to explain away though. You can say it is for skin or hair treatments, or if you want to get a bit closer to the truth, you can use that you're using the clay for an internal cleanse and detox.

Chalk is harder because there's really no reason to have boxes and boxes of chalk sitting around if you aren't a teacher, but clay has a lot of pretty normal uses.

I agree the pricing is horrible though. Thats the number one reason I haven't tried clay. It's just so expensive if you can't get it locally.
Secretclaymunche r

Euless, TX

#8056 Jun 9, 2014
What taste better...mutt and jeff or clay from white dirt of ga?
Icy chalk

Staten Island, NY

#8057 Jun 9, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I regularly use clay as a face mask...and as a hair cleaner/conditioner (works great, and has really helped to define my natural hair - it has never looked so good since I have been using clay and since I have been eating DE), to clean my teeth, and as a mask on my hands and other parts of my body to keep them soft and smooth.
I have also used clay for horrible toothache (it worked like nothing else!) I think people ought to start calling me the Clay Lady!
If you want to reduce the size of pores I would strongly recommend you try the clay. I mostly use Aztec Secret brand clay, which has directions on it (it says you can add apple cider vinegar; I sometimes do, sometimes leave it out and just add water).
I have always had good skin, but since using clay for the past several years it is noticeably better and one of the best things it does in my opinion is reduce the appearance of pores. I also use baking soda to clean my skin, which is a great exfoliant (as I have said on here in the past I also have a love of baking soda - I never swallow it but love to chew it; I restrict it though due to the high sodium content).
I get compliments on my skin and hair all the time and I think it is due to the reasons above.
That's great! Thanks for all the info. I think I'll get the bigger container and hope that I get the same success as u do.
Icy chalk

Staten Island, NY

#8058 Jun 9, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
As expected I've almost finished my latest stash of sargent chalk usually I'd be freaking out thinking about getting more but I'm going to try something different this time n try to stay off it for a while wish Me luck I'm going to need it
I usually get a little panicky when my supplies run low but I wonder what it would be like if I had none in the house. I was thinking of not replenishing and taking some time off chalk too. I'm taking extra iron and wondering if that will make a difference. I don't go thru it that fast and I have plenty for now. We'll see what happens when I run low. &#128513;
crazy 4stuff

Whittier, CA

#8059 Jun 9, 2014
Icy chalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I usually get a little panicky when my supplies run low but I wonder what it would be like if I had none in the house. I was thinking of not replenishing and taking some time off chalk too. I'm taking extra iron and wondering if that will make a difference. I don't go thru it that fast and I have plenty for now. We'll see what happens when I run low. &#128513;
I finished my last box last night n have been feeling panicky since. It sucks!but I'm going to see how long i can actually go without it plus i think my bowels will thank me lol
I just can't stop thinking of it the crunch the yummy powdery taste geeze don't think I'll last very long
crazy 4stuff

Whittier, CA

#8060 Jun 9, 2014
While I'm trying to stay off chalk reading the comments on this site n looking at pics on fb is going to have to do, maybe I'll try to look for some de I'm scared to order any white dirt because I've never had it so don't know if I'll like it, or that if i like it n at some point it won't be available I'd rather stick to chalk which is consistently supplied
Inlove with aylio

Canada

#8061 Jun 9, 2014
Every time I eat clay I get gasy and bloated I can only eat it when I home most of the time. Is it like this with anyone else?
Facefaceface

Washington, DC

#8062 Jun 9, 2014
Inlove with aylio wrote:
Every time I eat clay I get gasy and bloated I can only eat it when I home most of the time. Is it like this with anyone else?
Chalk sometimes makes me gassy too.I think because clay tends to be alkaline, when it hits the stomach, it reacts with the acid to create gas.
chynwe chuks

Ashburn, VA

#8063 Jun 10, 2014
i think nzu is harmful 2 d body
Clayaholic

Northwich, UK

#8064 Jun 10, 2014
Sooo excited! Mavu has the original clay and Red Soil in this Wednesday!!! Can't wait to indulge! I'm going to buy a large amount and hopefully pace myself this time.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8065 Jun 10, 2014
Clayaholic wrote:
Sooo excited! Mavu has the original clay and Red Soil in this Wednesday!!! Can't wait to indulge! I'm going to buy a large amount and hopefully pace myself this time.
Hi Clayaholic, happy for you! I just came across a forgotten chunk of the original Mavu and was so surprised and happy to see it - it was gone within seconds lol.

I also have some red soil cakes. I love them but some pieces are just too gritty. How do you deal with the grit? Do you like it?
Clayaholic

Northwich, UK

#8066 Jun 10, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Clayaholic, happy for you! I just came across a forgotten chunk of the original Mavu and was so surprised and happy to see it - it was gone within seconds lol.
I also have some red soil cakes. I love them but some pieces are just too gritty. How do you deal with the grit? Do you like it?
I love it when that happens! I think with the red soil cakes it just depends on the batch. With some you'll find there is pretty much nothing and others the grit is definitely there. If there is more grit than normal I just carry a sandwhich plastic bag and spit into there after sucking all the earthy 'juices' out if you get what I mean. It doesn't bother me though coz I eat this clay when I'm at home. Are the red soil cakes your favourite?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8068 Jun 10, 2014
Clayaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
I love it when that happens! I think with the red soil cakes it just depends on the batch. With some you'll find there is pretty much nothing and others the grit is definitely there. If there is more grit than normal I just carry a sandwhich plastic bag and spit into there after sucking all the earthy 'juices' out if you get what I mean. It doesn't bother me though coz I eat this clay when I'm at home. Are the red soil cakes your favourite?
I have been doing the spitting thing at times, just wish it wasn't necessary.

The red soil is my favourite out of what Mavu sells but to me it still isn't the perfect clay - too much grit, and no moulded clay would be perfect to me.

My perfect clay would be very earthy tasting and smelling with a slightly sour taste, hard and crunchy but with a crumbly texture when you bite into it, have a bit of grit, be natural and not shaped, and preferably be red or reddish in colour.

I love
crazy 4stuff

United States

#8069 Jun 10, 2014
I totally suck n i caved in bought a bunch of chalk! So much for trying to stay off it.:-(
Icy chalk

Staten Island, NY

#8070 Jun 10, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
I totally suck n i caved in bought a bunch of chalk! So much for trying to stay off it.:-(
Don't be so hard on yourself. Addiction to drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, and sugar are more damaging to our bodies so relatively speaking, chalk ain't so bad. Maybe cutting down slowly instead of stopping completely will work better
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#8071 Jun 10, 2014
When my cravings come into full effect in my mind I'm like I need to but some clay but as soon as I get on the website to order me some & I pull my card out I think to myself "do I really need this ? You don't need this . You went through 1 pound of bag already & it hasn't been a month since you received it . You don't need it ." & then I exit off the website & put my card away .

Maybe if ever my cravings become really strong , I might just order it but currently my cravings come & go & then I'll never order it .

How much do you guys usually spend on your clay or chalk ?
Facefaceface

Washington, DC

#8072 Jun 10, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
Yeah, don't feel bad.
I think we all understand how strong the cravings can be.
I personally don't let myself feel bad for eating chalk...it's an unusual habit, but it tastes good, I like it, and it doesn't hurt anyone. So why not indulge.
nhlasto89

Europe

#8075 Jun 11, 2014
umm guyz ur comments r makin ma mouth water so bad im @ work and cant wait to get home an have ma clay..coz itz juss too embarasn 2 eat clay @ work
Icy chalk

Staten Island, NY

#8076 Jun 11, 2014
One benefit from eating chalk has been losing a couple of pounds. Maybe cuz I reach for chalk instead of snacks... The chalk diet... Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Farmers fear even greater labor shortage under ... 3 hr Gary 1
Little Caesars cements deal 8 hr yummy 21
Big Daddy's now open in Live Oak (Nov '08) 11 hr fuilcrew 174
The effects of the BP oil spill on Las Vegas (Jun '10) 16 hr Viewer 7
For a meat-centric dinner, meet at Skrine Chops (Jan '08) Fri Reddog 6
For Australian Christmas, Everything's Overturn... Fri Deano 10
Obama personal chef to hang up apron after 6 years Dec 26 Deo Vindice 7
More from around the web