Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7980 May 27, 2014
Suri Clay wrote:
Hey,New Page,welcome...Can I also post pictures on your page?I am currently down wih the flu,but when I am better I would like to do so...Is that okay??
Feel better.
crazy 4stuff

San Diego, CA

#7981 May 27, 2014
I'm literally standing in line waiting to pay for over fifteen boxes of chalk n feel like everyone is staring at me n knows what I'm going to do with it lol guess I'm asking for the attention buying this much lol
New page for clay lovers

Willenhall, UK

#7982 May 27, 2014
Suri Clay wrote:
Hey,New Page,welcome...Can I also post pictures on your page?I am currently down wih the flu,but when I am better I would like to do so...Is that okay??
Of course you can! The more the merrier! The page was meant for everyone to post pictures so everyone can enjoy them! Get well soon Suri Clay
nhlasto89

Zimbabwe

#7983 May 28, 2014
ystday my Boyfrend took ma 4ne and started viewing ma pictures i could see it in his eyes that he was shocked coz i had about 40 pics of different types of clay that i downloaded from e internet & facebook ..not even 1 pic of him..kkkkikk it was so embarrasing
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#7985 May 28, 2014
Hey clay fam!
@ new page for clay lovers, awesome page, would love to try some of those clays.

Is there no1 on this forum that is from Congo or Nigeria or all those other countries with good looking clay that is in S.A and sells those kind of clays? Or does no1 know of any1 in S.A that sells those kind of clay's? I would really love to try mabele from Congo and Eko!

Haven't had any clay in a while and for some reason today my cravings are just going through the roof! Can't wait to get a chance to buy clay in the market. Which the market people had a delivery service lol! I'd order a lot! Knowing that no1 knows or judges me coz of my addiction
Lis25

Wormerveer, Netherlands

#7986 May 28, 2014
Suri Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Lis,
No,these are not from the central market..I have a friend by the Lachmanstreet that sells them.The ones from the central market are much bigger than these..And indeed,you can taste so you get the ones that tastes the best...What do the ones they sell in Holland taste like??
Heey, sorry for the late reply, I always avoid this forum when I don't have any lol.
Ooh okey, I'l remember it fro when I visit Surinam again, because here I only can get my hands on the moulded round ones, but i've never seen the unmoulded here as the one in your pics!.
The taste of the ones from holland depends from where you buy it. I once bought one in a hairstore and it tasted awful, like it had absorbed the smell of the store and the texture wasnt great, more sandy and with little wires o_O nope, never again.
The one I like the buy is from a tropical supermarket, it takes great and earthy and smooth. Sometimes with pebbles, sometimes not. But I always break it into chunks to let it airdry, so it can taste more earthy.
Pregnant and craving

Goshen, IN

#7987 May 28, 2014
Thanks so much for doing the video new page.
Sorry I had to get you to indulge, hope we all get rid of this nasty habit. God bless .
Icy chalk

Mount Vernon, NY

#7988 May 28, 2014
new page for clay lovers wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lKk9Xo_jHB8XX
Was looking forward to watching but I can't access this video. It says removed. What happened?
crazy 4stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#7989 May 28, 2014
new page for clay lovers wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lKk9Xo_jHB8XX
Is the video still up? Can't see it. It says it's not on there
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7990 May 28, 2014
I think she just put it up for a moment for the person who requested it. She might not have been comfortable with it being up for a long period of time.
crazy 4stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#7991 May 28, 2014
ann wrote:
I think she just put it up for a moment for the person who requested it. She might not have been comfortable with it being up for a long period of time.
I see. That's too bad i really wanted to see it.:(
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7992 May 28, 2014
I'm not sure why, but this most recent batch of chalk tastes especially yummy. The texture is a little more soft and crumbly than normal so it's not so crunchy and melts down a little faster, but I really like it.

Which reminds me, I have to go pick up more from the store tomorrow. I'm almost out!
crazy 4stuff w

Los Angeles, CA

#7993 May 28, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
I'm not sure why, but this most recent batch of chalk tastes especially yummy. The texture is a little more soft and crumbly than normal so it's not so crunchy and melts down a little faster, but I really like it.
Which reminds me, I have to go pick up more from the store tomorrow. I'm almost out!
What brand is it? I'm munching on some sargent brand at the moment
MzLibra

Arlington, VA

#7994 May 29, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I am so glad that I found this forum too, and have been here a while.
It is nice to hear from new posters, but I sometimes wonder how the old regulars who used to post here are making out. Ladies, you know who you are - if you still visit how about letting us know how you are doing?
Hey ATC!!! Its been a long time. Im not eating cornstarch or white dirt anymore.
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7995 May 29, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
<quoted text>
What brand is it? I'm munching on some sargent brand at the moment
lol Prang as usual. That's all I ever eat. Every time I try another brand, it's just not right.

I've been wanting to try the sargent because it does sound yummy, but for some reason they don't ship it and the office depot in town is really far out of my way and in an inconvenient location in general.
Hopefully some day soon I can get out there.
MzLibra

Arlington, VA

#7996 May 29, 2014
Its been a long time since Ive been on the forum. I was addicted for years to cornstarch and white dirt. Ive eaten 10 different brands of cornstarch. Ive ordered white dirt from Sam and Leslie. Ive eaten Crayola chalk and baby powder. My pica has been over a 10 year period. I suffered with anemia and fibroids. I just had a partial hysterectomy and I feel like a new woman. I tried to eat my cornstarch again but its not the same. I no longer have anemia. Take care everyone.
new page for clay lovers

Willenhall, UK

#7997 May 29, 2014
Hi guys, Ann thank you, you took the words right out of my mouth, it was a little out of my comfort zone. But i felt like you couldnt really hear the crunch so it may not have been the kind of video everyone was looking for.

I may try again with the Ayilo i just got from Soul Sista
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7998 May 29, 2014
New page that would be nice. I can understand because we are even uncomfortable tell others about our pica because we do not want to be stigmatized. If you were
Nice enough to do it. I know I would not and I am sure others would not as well.
All things clay

Moscow, Russia

#7999 May 29, 2014
MzLibra wrote:
<quoted text> Hey ATC!!! Its been a long time. Im not eating cornstarch or white dirt anymore.
Hey MzLibra, so nice to hear from you!

I hope you are fully recovered now from your partial hysterectomy. I have the same problems as you had, severe anaemia as a result of fibroids - and wish actually that I had been brave enough years ago to go ahead with surgery.

There is no doubt that my cravings are due to anaemia. I am trying to improve this by diet and for past 10 days or so have also been taking Redmond Clay which is extremely high in iron. Cravings haven't decreased yet though.

My main thing right now is DE - I eat a lot. I also have a little chalk and rare spoons of cornstarch. I would love to get to the point of getting rid of the cravings and just having as an occasional treat or to the point of not wanting it at all. At this point hard to imagine that though!

All the best!
Icy chalk

Mount Vernon, NY

#8000 May 29, 2014
MzLibra wrote:
Its been a long time since Ive been on the forum. I was addicted for years to cornstarch and white dirt. Ive eaten 10 different brands of cornstarch. Ive ordered white dirt from Sam and Leslie. Ive eaten Crayola chalk and baby powder. My pica has been over a 10 year period. I suffered with anemia and fibroids. I just had a partial hysterectomy and I feel like a new woman. I tried to eat my cornstarch again but its not the same. I no longer have anemia. Take care everyone.
It's great that you are feeling good and no longer a slave to your cravings. Someone told me how she constantly chewed ice which is how I started out, but then she got a hysterectomy and never thought about ice again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Numerous organizations serve the homeless aroun... 4 hr Mark Pappas 2
Best Fried Chicken in NY? All Natural.. 21 hr BabbyAsh 2
News Food News: Dodie's Catches Heat For Caitlyn Jen... Wed AKA Crammer 2
News PETA Targets Celebrity Chef Fans With New 'Sile... (May '12) Tue Common sense 10,806
News Energy drinks 'cause mental health problems and... Mon Suezanne 4
News 4 Seasons for Down Home Treasures (Oct '10) Mon Just saying 18
News Watch: The Angelically Light Black Forest Cake ... Nov 20 Tonie Gray 1
More from around the web