Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 8973 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7955 May 24, 2014
Yes I have bought from them many times. I have not had any clay since the beginning of 2013. I have been hold off but the cravings are high. I get 10 lbs and it last along time I do not consume that much. I just love that crunchy, earthy and smoothness. Sometimes I think I like it better than food. Lol. It just that good.
facefaceface

Washington, DC

#7956 May 24, 2014
ann wrote:
Yes I have bought from them many times. I have not had any clay since the beginning of 2013. I have been hold off but the cravings are high. I get 10 lbs and it last along time I do not consume that much. I just love that crunchy, earthy and smoothness. Sometimes I think I like it better than food. Lol. It just that good.
Just out of curiosity, especially if you only eat a small amount at a time, why did you quit?
Have you noticed any differences, health or otherwise, since quitting?
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#7957 May 25, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The molded is very light.The chunks are a bit heavy and very compact.Very smooth,creamy and no grit at all.What did the clay you had taste like?
The white clay I used to eat is similer to the one Koodoo Zebless posted on the 8th of Feb this year in a torn plastic bag on 'why we crave and love to eat clay' page on facebook. It was also smooth, creamy and it would stick a little bit to your gums and teeth but it wasn't chalky, it was a bit hard but would go smooth as soon as it got in contact with saliva. Mmmmmmmmm! Goodness I miss that clay! We should seriously consider doing a clay festival lol.
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#7958 May 25, 2014
Guys, which page was it that we were told to like nd if we reached 100 likes the 100 would all get free clay?
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#7959 May 25, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
Guys, which page was it that we were told to like nd if we reached 100 likes the 100 would all get free clay?
Mavu on Facebook .
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#7960 May 25, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Mavu on Facebook .
Is the page called mavu?
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#7961 May 25, 2014
I believe so . Just type in Mavu Facebook on Google & it'll come up . Currently it has 69 likes .
crazy 4stuff

Whittier, CA

#7962 May 26, 2014
I'm all out of chalk :-( sad day
ann

New York, NY

#7963 May 26, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Just out of curiosity, especially if you only eat a small amount at a time, why did you quit?
Have you noticed any differences, health or otherwise, since quitting?
I did not really quit. I thought I would give myself a break but it turned into a longer period of time. I was trying to see how long I could go without it. Everytime I said I was going to buy some I thought about it and then change my mind. Recently I have been wanting it really bad. Have not ordered it yet but I think I will this week. As for the health did not notice any difference maybe because I was not eating a lot in one sitting. I see where many eat a lot in one day that would last me about a week.
new page for clay lovers

Milton Keynes, UK

#7964 May 26, 2014
Hi guys iv made a new page for clay lovers to see pics and find info on

the page is open for peope who would like reviews on products as well as to gain any more info on clay and eating clay link is below like pls

https://www.facebook.com/cravingsforclay
nhlasto89

San Mateo, CA

#7965 May 26, 2014
new page for clay lovers wrote:
the page is open for peope who would like reviews on products as well as to gain any more info on clay and eating clay link is below like pls
https://www.facebook.com
/cravingsforclay
wow nice page,i like e pics they surely made my mouth water so much..u very lucky to have tasted all those clays.i wldn mind tasting the mabele clay..it looks delicious n I like e shape
new page for clay lovers

Milton Keynes, UK

#7966 May 26, 2014
nhlasto89 wrote:
<quoted text>
wow nice page,i like e pics they surely made my mouth water so much..u very lucky to have tasted all those clays.i wldn mind tasting the mabele clay..it looks delicious n I like e shape
Looking at pics surely helps me during the days i have no clay so i wanted to provide others who were in the same boat as me with pics too!
I know right, ive only ever had mabele once as i havent found a consistent supplier of it!

The facebook page is open for any clay suppliers who want to advertise their clay!

All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7967 May 26, 2014
Love your page!

I totally agree re. Soul Sista's moulded clay. I love that clay, the only thing that would make it better for me is if it tasted the same and had the same texture but wasn't moulded.

I love red soil cake too...so earthy, and the colour is beautiful.

What I would love to try is odowa and the roasted kaolin - actually all that I haven't tried before.
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7970 May 26, 2014
I did not know they smoke kaolin. That must taste nice. Thanks for trying to keep us inform with the clay.page. I wonder where you get so much beautiful pictures. Love it.
crazy 4stuff

Whittier, CA

#7971 May 26, 2014
Wow!your pics r incredible n you r so lucky to have been able to try all of those different Clays, the pics totally helped me cope with being out of chalk. Felt like going outside n eating a fitful of dirt until i saw your pics. I just don't think brave enough to like the page on fb n have everyone i know find out of my habit. I will definitely be looking at your pics n posts.:)
new page for clay lovers

Milton Keynes, UK

#7972 May 27, 2014
crazy 4 stuff, All Things Clay thank you so much, i know how hard it can be especially when you cant get your hands on your clay or it taking a while for your supplier to respond!

As a child i had always liked the smell of earth and even tasted the soil to see if that would satisfy my desire of smelling the earth! Later on i found out my mum used to eat clay when she was pregnant with me and i think she may have passed on that craving! Since then i have been trying out different clays.

Making a page helps me through the process and thought it would be helpful for everyone too! The pictures ive taken either myself or friends have passed them onto me..
Pregnant and craving

Elkhart, IN

#7973 May 27, 2014
New page.- can you or anyone PLEASE post a video of you munching on a few chunks of clay ? It can be discreet and just show your mouth like epping Nina's video ( how cruel of her to just take it off ?) That's the closest some of us can get to actually eating clay, I've refused to indulge while pregnant as I don't want my unborn child to be affected in any possible way. Please HELP with a video, someone.
new page for clay lovers

Milton Keynes, UK

#7974 May 27, 2014
Pregnant and craving wrote:
New page.- can you or anyone PLEASE post a video of you munching on a few chunks of clay ? It can be discreet and just show your mouth like epping Nina's video ( how cruel of her to just take it off ?) That's the closest some of us can get to actually eating clay, I've refused to indulge while pregnant as I don't want my unborn child to be affected in any possible way. Please HELP with a video, someone.
Hi, i am actually waiting for some clay in the post, once ive gotten my hands on some i will upload a video with me eating it :)
Pregnant and craving

Elkhart, IN

#7975 May 27, 2014
<quoted text>
Hi, i am actually waiting for some clay in the post, once ive gotten my hands on some i will upload a video with me eating it :)
Yay, seriously cannot wait! You are going to get so many views I'm sure. Pls make it nice and long a video. Thanks so much.
Adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#7976 May 27, 2014
Hi new page! Couldn't resist peeking at yur face book page and liking it! Very bold of you to come up with this great idea.. It got my craves up though....lol
Hope every1 else is keeping great....huggies

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pi, Pie or both? The choice is yours this Pi Day Thu Dan B 17
News Relieve Your Stress (Dec '09) Wed antoniaweldin 9
News Fruits of Islam Wed Old Pom 17
News School Leaders Fire Back Against Claims Of Unhe... (May '10) Wed Superintendant of... 19
News Flash from the Past: Old Cambridge mill made br... (Apr '12) Wed Monsanto poison 2
News Closure of fabled Los Angeles bar Tiki-Ti stuns... Tue Janice 1
News The Mosaic Company Named No. 40 on 100 Best Cor... Tue Fertilizing Divid... 1
More from around the web