Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9046 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Icy chalk

Staten Island, NY

#7934 May 22, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
But it's still important to make sure that it is approved for use around animals and children, even if it's not food grade.
There is DE is used for pool filtration and should never be used around or on any living thing.
Then you have DE that is okay for external use on animals or in the household, but isn't approved for eating.
And then you have food grade, which is good to eat.
So just carefully read the labels before you purchase!
You're absolutely right. I forgot about the type used for filtration. I'm sure the pet store will be selling you the appropriate one for fleas. My sister in law uses it all the time as she runs an animal rescue. She was surprised to see that I ate it. Lol
Icy chalk

Staten Island, NY

#7935 May 22, 2014
I saw that natural litter again today. My curiosity got the best of me so I bought it. I saw a woman on tv talk about using clay litter as a face mask which made me curious. Like I said before, this particular one is made from fullers earth. I tasted it straight out of the bag and it was soft then creamy with a slight grit. There wasn't much of a taste. I added water and made it into a thick paste which I molded into pieces and baked. It got hard and crumbly but not that crunchy. Still not much of a flavor. I usually like to feel the texture of grit or tiny pcs rubbing on my tongue that eventually break down or dissolve. This grit stayed in my teeth like invisible sand that I felt long after I swallowed the clay. I don't like that feeling. :( back to the drawing board
looking for clay

Plano, TX

#7936 May 22, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
I saw a bag of all natural cat litter in the store yesterday. It was made from fullers earth which is the same as multani mitti. I almost bought it but I felt like I was getting too crazy so I stopped myself.
I was trying to understand how my cravings started growing so fast. It began when I was pregnant (10 yrs ago). But then they went away after giving birth. Last summer it started up again and kept getting worse. I've read some people say that eating clay or chalk depleted them of iron but that didnt make sense cuz I always thought that mineral deficiencies caused the pica. I always had low iron and I take an iron supplement regularly so I thought maybe stress was causing my cravings to resurface. Then recently I started noticing I was feeling extremely fatigued and pale. My hair was falling out horribly and I realized that my iron must have dropped lower! I got so nervous and thought that maybe those people were right and I was causing it by eating these things. But then I thought the DE should've been helping. I was feeling awful and getting depressed. Then I realized that my dr. put me on Prilosec about 18 months ago due to a hiatal hernia. I started doing some research and read that many people suffered for malabsorption of vitamins and minerals due to acid blockers. We need our stomach acid to digest properly. Iron and b12 are especially affected. I am slowly taking myself off the meds and I'm trying more natural methods to treat the hernia. I am also taking extra iron and b12 as well as decreasing the gluten in my diet. I'm slowly starting to feel a little better. I still have my cravings. I'm wondering if one day they'll just go away if I get my levels back up.
@all things clay, please keep us updated on the Redmond clay. If its that high in iron and satisfies our cravings, it would be perfect!
Sorry for the long story but I hope this helps someone else that may be on acid blockers.
IcyClay, a craving for clay is usually because of a lack of iron or other minerals. This causes the craving, but then it can become a vicious cycle because the clay (depending on the type) then binds with various minerals in our digestive system an makes the deficiency worse. I am a dialysis patient who gets regular blood work done. I have found a direct correlation between my anemia and how much cornstarch or clay I am eating. You may need to talk to a doctor about getting iron infusions. My doctor told me that oral iron supplements are very hard for the body to absorb, so iron must be given through an infusion directly to the bloodstream. At one time I had to give myself shots for my anemia.
looking for clay

Plano, TX

#7937 May 22, 2014
I just wanted to contribute my experience with eating Prang Hygieia chalk in case someone was curious. I had high hopes because it is supposed to be almost all calcium carbonate and it is very cheap. The texture was awesome. Crunchy and then buttery smooth. Once it became creamy, strangely enough, it seemed to have a sort of buttery taste. It was not at all earthy, which is what I'm looking for. I'm in no way knocking anyone who enjoys it, it just wasn't for me. Like Icy Chalk says, "Back to the drawing board".
looking for clay

Plano, TX

#7938 May 22, 2014
I wanted to share another clay eating experience for those of you who have not found your perfect clay yet. I am craving something deeply earthy and crunchy with little or no grit. The earthiest clay I have found to date is handmade diatomaceous earth which I buy from DoveTailGardenStore on Etsy. Unfortunately it is a powder and not crunchy. Also, eating large amounts of it causes irritation of my throat and digestive system. The best crunch I have found is from really, really hard white dirt, but I have found it to be pretty flavorless. The best quality white dirt I have recieved has the almost exact same flavor as sidewalk chalk. I found my holy grail of clay eating when I got the idea of eating white dirt dipped in DE. I got a wonderful earthiness and great texture. My only problem now is that white dirt costs me around $10 a pound once you include shipping. I just can't afford to order it regularly, so I have to resort to cornstarch to satisfy my cravings. Although, I have found cornstarch mixed with DE to be very tasty. I'm still hoping I can find a cheaper source for good white dirt.
facefaceface

Washington, DC

#7939 May 22, 2014
looking for clay wrote:
I just wanted to contribute my experience with eating Prang Hygieia chalk in case someone was curious. I had high hopes because it is supposed to be almost all calcium carbonate and it is very cheap. The texture was awesome. Crunchy and then buttery smooth. Once it became creamy, strangely enough, it seemed to have a sort of buttery taste. It was not at all earthy, which is what I'm looking for. I'm in no way knocking anyone who enjoys it, it just wasn't for me. Like Icy Chalk says, "Back to the drawing board".
That's my exact experience. I love the creamy, clean, non-earthy taste, but for people who like that earthy, fresh-rain taste, it's not good. They'll probably find it quite bland.

One thing though is that it picks up flavor exceptionally well. So if you have some and need to get rid of it, you may be able to flavor it to your liking by putting it in a paper bag or putting it in some fresh earth for a little while.
crazy 4stuff

Whittier, CA

#7940 May 22, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
I haven't had any chalk in 2 days. I'm craving it so badly, but since I had surgery yesterday, I don't want to eat any until I'm more healed.
I can't even imagine2 hours without it. But you are right best to stay off it until you're completely healed. Best of luck!
crazy 4stuff

Whittier, CA

#7941 May 22, 2014
Suri Clay wrote:
Finally got of my lazy *ss and got to the market...Airing out the chunks right now as I am back home..Getting ready and set up for pictures,which you can watch later in the day or tomorrow for sure..Hope you will enjoy these too...Much love....
Awesome pics!you're so brave to post on fb
crazy 4stuff

Whittier, CA

#7942 May 22, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
No,just externally.So I can get it at a petshop?Thanks and @ everyone:put the pictures on Why we crave and love Clay FB.
Found out that shipping is really expensive,I don't know how MAVU does it.Maybe I should try to get a hold of her.....
Maybe partner up?
crazy 4stuff

Whittier, CA

#7943 May 22, 2014
looking for clay wrote:
I'm not a fan of prang either the taste n texture aren't for me unless I'm real desperate lol
I like stick to crayola n sargent
crazy 4stuff

Whittier, CA

#7944 May 22, 2014
looking for clay wrote:
I wanted to share another clay eating experience for those of you who have not found your perfect clay yet. I am craving something deeply earthy and crunchy with little or no grit. The earthiest clay I have found to date is handmade diatomaceous earth which I buy from DoveTailGardenStore on Etsy. Unfortunately it is a powder and not crunchy. Also, eating large amounts of it causes irritation of my throat and digestive system. The best crunch I have found is from really, really hard white dirt, but I have found it to be pretty flavorless. The best quality white dirt I have recieved has the almost exact same flavor as sidewalk chalk. I found my holy grail of clay eating when I got the idea of eating white dirt dipped in DE. I got a wonderful earthiness and great texture. My only problem now is that white dirt costs me around $10 a pound once you include shipping. I just can't afford to order it regularly, so I have to resort to cornstarch to satisfy my cravings. Although, I have found cornstarch mixed with DE to be very tasty. I'm still hoping I can find a cheaper source for good white dirt.
Which supplier do you get white clay from?
crazy 4stuff

Whittier, CA

#7945 May 22, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
That's my exact experience. I love the creamy, clean, non-earthy taste, but for people who like that earthy, fresh-rain taste, it's not good. They'll probably find it quite bland.
One thing though is that it picks up flavor exceptionally well. So if you have some and need to get rid of it, you may be able to flavor it to your liking by putting it in a paper bag or putting it in some fresh earth for a little while.
That's what i do with my chalk...add some earth it'll absorb the taste n taste very earthy when i eat it
Suri Clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7946 May 23, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
Awesome pics!you're so brave to post on fb
Thanks,just doing my part..And I tried contacting MAVU via FB but no response....
Curious

Stockbridge, GA

#7947 May 23, 2014
My clay came today !! I had to take me a chunk before I put it in a brown paper bag . So smooth & creamy . A little earthy but that's the reason why I put it in the brown paper bag . So it can dry out . It seems as though Wanda's bag gotten a little smaller :( oh well , I'll enjoy the clay for right now .
looking for clay

Plano, TX

#7948 May 23, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the tip!
looking for clay

Plano, TX

#7949 May 23, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
Which supplier do you get white clay from?
I've bought it from Leslie and a couple of different vendors on ebay. I'm going to try Mutt and Jeff. I just found out I can get 10 pounds for $20 dollars including shipping.
Curious

Stockbridge, GA

#7950 May 24, 2014
I finally told my boyfriend that I eat clay (white dirt) & the reason why I eat it & the deficiency & what can help to fix it . I told him all of that . He told me that he accepts it & he loves me . He even tried a piece of white dirt after I tried to describe to him what it taste like . He says it taste bitter (sour) & if it taste a little sweeter he'll eat it like it's regular food .:)
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7951 May 24, 2014
I am wanting a nice chunk of clay. My mouth is watering so badly as I think of it. My cravings are so high.
Kellzgirl

Mooresville, NC

#7952 May 24, 2014
looking for clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I've bought it from Leslie and a couple of different vendors on ebay. I'm going to try Mutt and Jeff. I just found out I can get 10 pounds for $20 dollars including shipping.
I have 10 pounds coming from Mutt and Jeff on Tuesday! Can't wait! The clay I got from them last month was the best I have ever had yum! I put a pound or two in a brown paper lunch sack and microwave it for 6 to 8 mins. My mouth is watering just thinking of it!!
Suri Clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7953 May 24, 2014
ann wrote:
I am wanting a nice chunk of clay. My mouth is watering so badly as I think of it. My cravings are so high.
I hear you.Don't you ever buy like Wanda's or Mutt and Jeff or anywhere else??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scientists Develop Non-Melting Ice Cream 5 hr DILF 15
News Pat Robertson's Latest Apocalypse Just Got Pers... 20 hr President Bernie 1
News Putin Pumps Iron, Internet Delivers Punch Lines Wed tiny CLOWN FUHRER 2
News Fast food-style Middle Eastern lands in downtow... Wed Gerry 16
News Roundup: Primanti Bros. coming to Noblesville, ... Wed Candy 1
News Would you eat this? KFC releases pink, black bu... Wed DILF 12
News Seafood, music draws thousands to Blue Claw Cra... Wed Joseph C Cafra 1
More from around the web