Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7876 May 16, 2014
The chunks look and sound so yummy. They look like they'd be super crunchy too, especially if you dried them out.Thanks for sharing.
I'm really jealous that you can go to the market and just buy it and eat it like that! No nosy questions.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7877 May 16, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
The chunks look and sound so yummy. They look like they'd be super crunchy too, especially if you dried them out.Thanks for sharing.
I'm really jealous that you can go to the market and just buy it and eat it like that! No nosy questions.
That is only because it is a normal thing over here.Everyone knows it is being eaten,so why ask questions....They can be super crunchy,but they still tend to stick to gums and teeth.Don't know what will happen if you ovenbake them.Never tried it,because it never lasts that long,but will definately try baking it someday,see if it is less sticky.And see if i can buy one of the bigger chunks then and place a next picture.
ann

New York, NY

#7878 May 16, 2014
Suri the pictures are truly wonderful. Their has to be something to eating clay. I am sure many in your country have been doing it for a long time. Enjoy looking at them. I wish I could bite a piece of that molded clay. And only .50$.
crazy 4stuff

San Diego, CA

#7879 May 16, 2014
Yummm it's friday night n i opted to stay home n relax with my chalk
crazy 4stuff

San Diego, CA

#7880 May 17, 2014
Id really like to try ampo anyone know if it can be bought online?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7881 May 17, 2014
ann wrote:
Suri the pictures are truly wonderful. Their has to be something to eating clay. I am sure many in your country have been doing it for a long time. Enjoy looking at them. I wish I could bite a piece of that molded clay. And only .50$.
I agree with all of the above....that clay looks good!
Lis25

Wormerveer, Netherlands

#7882 May 17, 2014
Suri that clay looks deliciousss!! Those are from the central market in Paramaribo right?

Everytime when I am on vacation there I want to take some home to Holland so bad in my suitcase, but I am afraid the security is going to mistake them for drugs, especially the Holland ones loll

Not so long ago I bought some at a tropical market in Amsterdam. I still feel ashamed when buying so I make sure I'm the only at the counter and I have the exact amount of money in my hands for the clay so that I dont have to wait for change. One time there was this young Ghanaian man standing behind the counter and when I bought the clay he hold it in his hands looked at. Me and said: this is not good for you. And I was like gosh please not now. I replied: Its not that bad. So now I'm avoiding the store when I see him stand behind the counter loll

But in Surinam at the market, the ladies even let you taste some of the clay before you buy it.
Lis25

Wormerveer, Netherlands

#7883 May 17, 2014
Btw I bought some kaolin powder online the day before yesterday and I just received it. I think I'm going to make some chunks myself because I don't like eating it in its powdered state. I did it before, I just mixed it with some water and let it airdry somewhere, mostly in my topcloset. I try to let it dry for acouple of days but 99 times out of 100 I'm waaay to impatient and greedy and just try to dry some with my blowdryer lol. Or I eat them before they've properly dried and still a lil bit wet. Luckily after a couple of weeks I manage to find some lost little chunks which have completely dried and are so earthy and delicious yummm!
Suri Clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7884 May 17, 2014
Lis25 wrote:
Suri that clay looks deliciousss!! Those are from the central market in Paramaribo right?
Everytime when I am on vacation there I want to take some home to Holland so bad in my suitcase, but I am afraid the security is going to mistake them for drugs, especially the Holland ones loll
Not so long ago I bought some at a tropical market in Amsterdam. I still feel ashamed when buying so I make sure I'm the only at the counter and I have the exact amount of money in my hands for the clay so that I dont have to wait for change. One time there was this young Ghanaian man standing behind the counter and when I bought the clay he hold it in his hands looked at. Me and said: this is not good for you. And I was like gosh please not now. I replied: Its not that bad. So now I'm avoiding the store when I see him stand behind the counter loll
But in Surinam at the market, the ladies even let you taste some of the clay before you buy it.
Hey Lis,

No,these are not from the central market..I have a friend by the Lachmanstreet that sells them.The ones from the central market are much bigger than these..And indeed,you can taste so you get the ones that tastes the best...What do the ones they sell in Holland taste like??
Suri Clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7885 May 17, 2014
ann wrote:
Many in my country have been and still are and always will be doing it...I will check out shipping costs over here,maybe if it is not too expensive I will surprise you one day..
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7886 May 17, 2014
Suri that sounds lovely. For now I will dream about it. Lol
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7887 May 17, 2014
Lis25 wrote:
I would have asked him where he got his medical license.
Or I would have asked him if it's so bad for you, then why is he selling it.

Asking nosy questions are one thing....I get that it's weird to buy 12 boxes of chalk at one time. But I hate when people give their opinions on your life and you didn't ask.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7888 May 17, 2014
Can anyone give me advice on how to bake the kaolin chunks?Like what should I place them on in the oven and how long should I bake it?
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7890 May 17, 2014
Lis25 you can tell them it is for making make up foundation. Lol .
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7891 May 17, 2014
suri clay wrote:
Can anyone give me advice on how to bake the kaolin chunks?Like what should I place them on in the oven and how long should I bake it?
Guuuuyyyyysssss??????????
Curious

United States

#7892 May 17, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
On the website georgiawhitedirt .com it says bake it in the oven on 350 Fahrenheit for 60 mins but to make sure to watch it because it might burn
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7893 May 18, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they say not to have clay contact metal I bake mine in a non metal pan...when I bake things usually I let a little piece cool off and see if it is done to my liking if not keep baking a bit longer.
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#7894 May 18, 2014
Just put in a order for my clay from Wanda (goodoledirt .com)!! Her nice white dirt or "pink" dirt because of the color but it's so earthy & smooth . I usually eat 1 chunk before I put it in a brown paper bag to bring out the earthiness . Can't wait ! Should be here by Tuesday . Haven't had any clay since last year & it's almost the middle of the year this year . Well deserved clay .
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7895 May 18, 2014
Maybe I should start selling clay too???????
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7896 May 18, 2014
suri clay wrote:
Maybe I should start selling clay too???????
Yes please - that would be great!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Council to discuss Zephyr Grill & Bar opening a... 24 min Pole Climber 1
News Organic Pizzeria, Naturale Cucina, Opens in Eng... (Jun '12) 2 hr disappointed 2
News PETA Targets Celebrity Chef Fans With New 'Sile... (May '12) 3 hr Reporter 10,805
News BDB: Weird crime strikes again! An all-out braw... 16 hr Suezanne 2
News TEAC wants you to try an emu pita - it's local ... (Sep '09) Thu Gift of Giving Back 4
News A Comforting Breakfast to Savor this Season Nov 15 GAG 1
News Breakfast at Tiffany's comes to life at New Yor... Nov 13 Phyllis Schlafly ... 2
More from around the web