Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9203 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

ann

New York, NY

#7790 May 7, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,there has to be something to this whole clay thing.Something in it that is addictive or so.I don't get it,but I would like to find out....Could someone maybe make a better documentary or so.....I would really like to know,clay family......
Their is a person making a film about dirt. It is suppose to come out in the summer.
LoveTheEarth

Cape Town, South Africa

#7791 May 7, 2014
Hi everyone.

I've been eating such a lot of clay in the past and it sure has been affecting my period. I made the decision to stay off it for the next 63days as I complete the insanity work out program. I will keep you all posted on how it goes and how my cravings get.

So far, my period came back a little more normally because lately in the previous months I was very very very light and I used to have a very heavy flow.

That's all for now.
crazy 4stuff w

San Diego, CA

#7792 May 7, 2014
LoveTheEarth wrote:
Hi everyone.
I've been eating such a lot of clay in the past and it sure has been affecting my period. I made the decision to stay off it for the next 63days as I complete the insanity work out program. I will keep you all posted on how it goes and how my cravings get.
So far, my period came back a little more normally because lately in the previous months I was very very very light and I used to have a very heavy flow.
That's all for now.
Good luck on your work out n on staying off clay i doubt think i could stay off chalk that long! But I'm sure if i did is loose some pounds
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7793 May 8, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Their is a person making a film about dirt. It is suppose to come out in the summer.
I hope I will get to see that documentary too,as I am not living in the USA.Where I live the eating of clay is a common practice and seen as the most normal thing in the world,so I doubt that they will show it on tv over here.I even bet no one in this country knows about this forum.I am glad I stumbled up on it,though.
ann

New York, NY

#7794 May 8, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope I will get to see that documentary too,as I am not living in the USA.Where I live the eating of clay is a common practice and seen as the most normal thing in the world,so I doubt that they will show it on tv over here.I even bet no one in this country knows about this forum.I am glad I stumbled up on it,though.
MAYBE it will be online where you can watch it. It so funny that anything that is different from the USA is seen as strange, while for you it is a part of daily activity.
Lis25

Wormerveer, Netherlands

#7795 May 8, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Heey Suri clay
Do you live in Surinam or the Netherlands?
Mi na'f Sranang tu!(I'm also from Surinam)
I've been lurking on this forum for a looong time
Just now decided to post something

I'm also addicted to clay, dirt (also known as pimba in our country) My cravings go and come. Usually I eat it once a month and sometimes every other week. I really disciplined myself not to go overboard with it cause I would still like to have children. When I buy my clay I sometimes let it airdry, because it gives it a fresh, clean, rain taste. Or I put it next to some powder soap op dryer sheets so it can soak up the smell and have a clean fresh taste, I know weird lol. Just experimenting with different flavours.

I love reading all of you ladies stories and helpful tips. I'm glad also I stumbled acros this forum. It's just nice to know that I'm not alone with this crazy addiction lol
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7796 May 8, 2014
Lis25 wrote:
<quoted text>
Heey Suri clay
I'm also addicted to clay, dirt (also known as pimba in our country) My cravings go and come. Usually I eat it once a month and sometimes every other week. I really disciplined myself not to go overboard with it cause I would still like to have children. When I buy my clay I sometimes let it airdry, because it gives it a fresh, clean, rain taste. Or I put it next to some powder soap op dryer sheets so it can soak up the smell and have a clean fresh taste, I know weird lol. Just experimenting with different flavours.
I love reading all of you ladies stories and helpful tips. I'm glad also I stumbled acros this forum. It's just nice to know that I'm not alone with this crazy addiction lol
Wow,this is amazing.....I live in Suriname now..And yes,I am addicted to pimba as we call it here.It is so hard to go a day without it,but I am struggling.It is funny to meet a fellow sranan man on here....That is something I never would have expected...LOL........
@Ann...I hope I could get to see that online...I really hope so...
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7797 May 8, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow,this is amazing.....I live in Suriname now..And yes,I am addicted to pimba as we call it here.It is so hard to go a day without it,but I am struggling.It is funny to meet a fellow sranan man on here....That is something I never would have expected...LOL........
@Ann...I hope I could get to see that online...I really hope so...
I googled pimba and found some nice images...you are so lucky to have a culture where clay is available and commonly eaten.

I always wonder whether anyone from my country (Bermuda) lurks on this site. If so, would be nice if they posted!
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#7798 May 8, 2014
Lis25 wrote:
<quoted text>
Heey Suri clay
I think it's funny how everyone has their own way of flavoring their clay or chalk to their liking.
Once I accidentally left some of my chalk next to a couple of packs of gum, and all the chalk on the side closest to the gum tasted like mint.
It was weird and I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, but I still ate it all LOL.
I also love how it tastes when I leave it in the pocket of my leather purse or jacket. Yum.
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7800 May 9, 2014
I really enjoyed looking at Epping Nina's videos. She took them down. I thought those were some good videos. I am miss looking at them.
Icychalk

Mount Vernon, NY

#7801 May 9, 2014
ann wrote:
I really enjoyed looking at Epping Nina's videos. She took them down. I thought those were some good videos. I am miss looking at them.
I enjoyed them too. I was hoping she would eventually tell us what she was eating. Like you said once before, it looks like French chalk which I think is made from the same stuff as tailors chalk. I know there are people that like to eat that. But if it is talc, the safety is kind of iffy.
ann

New York, NY

#7802 May 9, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoyed them too. I was hoping she would eventually tell us what she was eating. Like you said once before, it looks like French chalk which I think is made from the same stuff as tailors chalk. I know there are people that like to eat that. But if it is talc, the safety is kind of iffy.
Someone said that it was slate pencil. I looked up slate pencil and it is a possiblility because I see that they can come in different sizes as well as thicknesses. She appears to have bought it by the case. I have not had any clay for a very long time now. I have been just watching videos. I do wish to have some but been holding out. I have some that I bought from a case but it is really hard and gritty. I feel bad about throwing it out but I really should. It was the only bag that was like that.

I hate that because I could be eating it. Oh well. My mouth is watering just thinking about that earthy, creamy, crunchy, smooth clay. Hmmm
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7803 May 9, 2014
I couldn't resist buying a box of cornstarch tonight, and am trying it now. It is Argo in the box.

It is so good, just like I remember it with that distinctive squeakiness and flavour. I will not let it get out of control though, will just have a few bites a day
Icychalk

Mount Vernon, NY

#7804 May 10, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone said that it was slate pencil. I looked up slate pencil and it is a possiblility because I see that they can come in different sizes as well as thicknesses. She appears to have bought it by the case. I have not had any clay for a very long time now. I have been just watching videos. I do wish to have some but been holding out. I have some that I bought from a case but it is really hard and gritty. I feel bad about throwing it out but I really should. It was the only bag that was like that.
I hate that because I could be eating it. Oh well. My mouth is watering just thinking about that earthy, creamy, crunchy, smooth clay. Hmmm
What kind of clay is it? Where did u get it?
Icychalk

Mount Vernon, NY

#7805 May 10, 2014
All things clay wrote:
I couldn't resist buying a box of cornstarch tonight, and am trying it now. It is Argo in the box.
It is so good, just like I remember it with that distinctive squeakiness and flavour. I will not let it get out of control though, will just have a few bites a day
Be careful. I've heard how addictive it is. I've been tempted many times but have stayed away cuz scared of the calories and health problems others have spoken about. It also seems to be more addictive when u make chunks out of it.
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7806 May 10, 2014
crazy 4stuff w

San Diego, CA

#7807 May 10, 2014
Anyone know what the brown rolls are on the Facebook page why we crave and love clay?
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7808 May 10, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoyed the crunch in those two video's a lot.Nice and loud and crunchy.But still don't believe it was clay,though.....
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7809 May 10, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoyed the crunch in those two video's a lot.Nice and loud and crunchy.But still don't believe it was clay,though.....
Yes was clay it appears to be the Georgia white Dirt.(kaolin) It looks just like that. Remember different parts of the world clay looks different. The kaolin is eaten a lot in the southern U.S. It is clay but we call it white dirt. If you get some good pieces it can be real good. It is earthy , creamy crunchy and smooth. Some people dig for it and let it air dry or they bake it in the oven for a crunchier taste. They also like it to have a little grit. I do not care for the grit at all. I bought a case and a few pieces had grit in it. I was disappointed because I ate all the other bags and that was the only one left and I was craving it and could not have it.
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7810 May 10, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of clay is it? Where did u get it?
It was kaolin. Georgia white dirt from mutt and jeff. I always buy from them. The clay last a long time because I do not consume that much. I love it when I get the right piece and I bite into it and it has the taste of rain and earthy. I am truly considering getting a case. I have been holding out for a long time now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A golden discovery: Philadelphia Butter Cake : ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Mara 69
News Ted Cruz's Supporters Share His Weird Fixation ... 4 hr Three Days 1
News Fries for dessert: Why it should totally be a t... 10 hr mr moe 5
News Pancake Breakfast will mark Springfield's 380th... 19 hr Wendy 1
News Edgartown fisherman will open new fish market i... 20 hr Linda 1
News The Unhealthiest Meals at Chain Restaurants (Jun '15) 21 hr indict sayanim 9
News Debbie Rowe 'to go to court to gain custody of ... (Apr '14) 22 hr I Love Prince 11
More from around the web