Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9018 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7767 May 2, 2014
@ Deli thanks for sharing. I do not think you offended Kenya. She has been having a disagreement with someone else about who created microwave cornstarch chunks. She had block her comments bcz they were leaving nasty comments. It good to know you have such control. You have access to clay but resist.

Does your mom eat clay?
See a lot of people does not understand the craving we have that is why so many of us hide it and also come here to express ourselves.
Deli

Fontenay-trésigny, France

#7768 May 2, 2014
ann wrote:
@ Deli thanks for sharing. I do not think you offended Kenya. She has been having a disagreement with someone else about who created microwave cornstarch chunks. She had block her comments bcz they were leaving nasty comments. It good to know you have such control. You have access to clay but resist.
Does your mom eat clay?
See a lot of people does not understand the craving we have that is why so many of us hide it and also come here to express ourselves.
Thanks a lot. Yes my mom eat clay only in her pregnancy and people around my family and family friends but only when they are pregnant. My mom is actually pregnant and its the first time in my life i know she eat it because she said to my father she forgot to buy clay. She never eat it when with her maybe when she is alone. she is well, we are 7 and she never had a pregnancy problem with the clay.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7769 May 2, 2014
Deli wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks a lot. Yes my mom eat clay only in her pregnancy and people around my family and family friends but only when they are pregnant. My mom is actually pregnant and its the first time in my life i know she eat it because she said to my father she forgot to buy clay. She never eat it when with her maybe when she is alone. she is well, we are 7 and she never had a pregnancy problem with the clay.
Hi Deli.

Most of the women on here are not pregnant either.

I truly believe that the cravings are due to mineral deficiencies, and that eating good clean clay in small amounts is not bad. I do not like the cravings though I have to admit, the feeling of desperately having to have clay and similar things.

You spoke before of how clay is used in your country, and spoke about "bread clay". What country is it, and can you tell us more about what the clay is like?

Thanks!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7770 May 2, 2014
I have eaten so much DE today, just the plain dry powder. It tastes so good to me.

I got a new bag recently, and even though it is sold as "Insect Dust" at least this brand has a sticker on it that says "Food Grade".

I have been trying to get my boyfriend to take it as a supplement, but so far he hasn't tried it...I will have to show him the sticker that says food grade (he knows about the stuff I eat, even the chalk!)
Icychalk

Staten Island, NY

#7771 May 2, 2014
All things clay wrote:
I have eaten so much DE today, just the plain dry powder. It tastes so good to me.
I got a new bag recently, and even though it is sold as "Insect Dust" at least this brand has a sticker on it that says "Food Grade".
I have been trying to get my boyfriend to take it as a supplement, but so far he hasn't tried it...I will have to show him the sticker that says food grade (he knows about the stuff I eat, even the chalk!)
I think its important to only buy the DE that says food grade. I sometimes get carried away and eat too much too. But I get nervous cuz someone on the forum wrote rthat she ate a lot of it and her skin started breaking out or sonething.
Clay craver

Lawrence, MA

#7772 May 2, 2014
Hi Clay junkie, do you have any access to Odowa clay & if so, where do you get it from? I'm in some serious crave for some gray odowa, and i don't really know where or whom to get it from :( Could you please help me obtain it?? Pretty plzzz??
ann

Bronx, NY

#7773 May 2, 2014
Clay craver wrote:
Hi Clay junkie, do you have any access to Odowa clay & if so, where do you get it from? I'm in some serious crave for some gray odowa, and i don't really know where or whom to get it from :( Could you please help me obtain it?? Pretty plzzz??

You should go in Facebook why we crave and love clay. You can probably find someone sell that clay.
LoveTheEarth

Cape Town, South Africa

#7774 May 3, 2014
Kenya put up a new video where she's eating white dirt. The crunch from what I can hear sounds different from Epping Nina's, Kenya's also looks creamier and thicker.

Here's the link :

Lol I feel like I am living vicariously through these videos.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7775 May 4, 2014
LoveTheEarth wrote:
Kenya put up a new video where she's eating white dirt. The crunch from what I can hear sounds different from Epping Nina's, Kenya's also looks creamier and thicker.
Here's the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =974-hDV8s8gXX
Lol I feel like I am living vicariously through these videos.
I know what you mean about living vicariously!

Kenya's white dirt looks and sounds good too.

Most of the white clay I have tried tastes nice but bland compared to say red dirt or Soul Sista clay - although I have had a couple pieces that were delicious (I'm not talking about Wanda's dirt, I consider hers pink dirt and love it). Also what I've had doesn't seem as crunchy and easy to eat as Epping Nina's or even Kenya's.

What do people consider the best tasting, crunchiest white dirt? I would love to order some where all or most of the chunks are really good.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7776 May 4, 2014
Article about white dirt and the film being made:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25424...

Look at the picture of those huge chunks! I have seen it before, wish I could have that in my yard!
ann

Bronx, NY

#7777 May 4, 2014
All things clay,

I have bought clay from mutt and jeff and i have to say for all the time i have bought it it was good. I got from Georgia white dirt as well. Their was bags that were good and some not so. Sometimes you find the perfect pieces. They are earthy crunchy and smooth and taste like the falling rain. The only thing is the price and i think one company the bag contains less than a 1lb. I have not had any for awhile but it is on my mind if i can just get a nice piece to nibble on. oh how so good. Those kids in the video had big chunks playing with in their little trucks. Seriously thinking about buying some.

I think that the more you dry the clay out the crunchier it gets. If you bake it a little it gets crunchy as well
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7778 May 4, 2014
I'm all out of chalk I'm so sad, i think I'll treat myself to a really big stash for mothers day lol
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7780 May 5, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
I'm all out of chalk I'm so sad, i think I'll treat myself to a really big stash for mothers day lol
I am out of clay.The chunks and the molded kaolin.Been out of clay for two weeks now.I did take some nice pictures of everything and a very crunchy video......i noticed that my period has been the least painfull and less heavy since I haven't had any clay.Maybe I should try to quit????But it is so damn hardddddd :-(
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7781 May 5, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I am out of clay.The chunks and the molded kaolin.Been out of clay for two weeks now.I did take some nice pictures of everything and a very crunchy video......i noticed that my period has been the least painfull and less heavy since I haven't had any clay.Maybe I should try to quit????But it is so damn hardddddd :-(
Thats interesting ever since i got heavy on the chalk my period is short but very heavy
Uche

Satellite Provider

#7782 May 6, 2014
Hi house. I just typed nzu on my google space and i saw this. Decided to go through it and was shocked. I'm a teenager and i've been eating it since i was a kid. I stopped when i couldn't find it anywhere but now I am back to eating it. I love it so much and i cant seem to think straight cos i haven't had some. My mind is on it. I think I'm addicted. I also love its smell and wait for a rainy day because the smell of wet sand almost smells like it. Whew! That's a load off my chest.
ann

New York, NY

#7783 May 6, 2014
@UCHE , How did you get started eating clay? I can understand how you feel when you have no clay. It is on the mind all the time. I myself have not had any for along time but I keep thinking about hoping to have a little bite to savor. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. I can buy some but I have been fighting the urge. I watch a lot of videos of people eating chalk, clay or cornstarch. I love the crunchy texture and when it taste like the falling rain.
kwanza

Irving, TX

#7784 May 6, 2014
I love clay but as you all know it causes passing hard stools if at all . So find out a teaspoon or two of living bitters does a good job with detox and cleansing the colon system . If intersted you can get the living bitters from any african store in your area . Most of it is a medicinal herb drink from Ghana
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#7785 May 7, 2014
I know when you order from mutt & Jeff they'll give you a case of 10 bags for $20 (that's including shipping) but my question is does it come to your house in a big box ? I was thinking about ordering me some but I don't want to order it & my parents see that I have a big box waiting for me when I get home . I want it be discrete as possible .
ann

New York, NY

#7786 May 7, 2014
Curious wrote:
I know when you order from mutt & Jeff they'll give you a case of 10 bags for $20 (that's including shipping) but my question is does it come to your house in a big box ? I was thinking about ordering me some but I don't want to order it & my parents see that I have a big box waiting for me when I get home . I want it be discrete as possible .
And
It is not a huge box. Maybe 8 inches in height and 4 across. Maybe you can send it to your job or a friend's house.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7787 May 7, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
And
It is not a huge box. Maybe 8 inches in height and 4 across. Maybe you can send it to your job or a friend's house.
I checked out the facebook page why we crave and love clay........All those beautiful kinds of clay.Looking at those pics only makes me want it more.......How can anyone quit something sooooo goooooood..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Top Ten Myths About a Gluten-Free Diet 45 min Cooking2Thrive 1
if todays cooking dont look good 2 hr food chemistry 1
Become inspired by global flavours every night ... 2 hr FoodLover 1
News Columbus has exotic-tasting frozen treats from ... 15 hr BIzzy Bee II 2
News How the $15 minimum wage could become a new div... 16 hr Fart news 670
News Roadside farm stands lure shoppers 16 hr indigo 1
lucky rice feast 17 hr Mona Day 1
More from around the web