Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9234 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7726 Apr 28, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
I reread the posts and just realized you r talking about kaolin clay. I bought 2 bags from Leslie and I don't like it. Too sticky for me... So I will not be joining in... Waiting to try Leslie's red dirt. Does anyone know why it's only available in summer?
Maybe you should try the gypsum mixture?I don't think that is sticky.I once chewed on a piece from my son's cast.Did not swallow,just wondered what it would taste like.If I recall it was a little chalky,but no specific taste.And not sticky at all.
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#7727 Apr 28, 2014
Gypsum seems like it would be the opposite of sticky. From StoneCrusher's posts, it looks like the more gypsum you add, the crunchier the mixture is.
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7728 Apr 28, 2014
I stopped drinking my DE a few days ago, and my cravings for chalk have like exploded. I am eating so much today, it's not even funny.
Starting tomorrow, I'm going to go back to the DE.

Of course I love my chalk and I don't think it is hurting me, but for my body, eating more than a box a day is too much. And I've eaten well over a box today.
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7729 Apr 28, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I could check out about shipping and stuff from Suriname to where you are.And then I could send over a big stock and you can divide it amongst yourself......
That would be awesome but i think splitting it up would be hard as I'm sure everyone lives in different parts
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7730 Apr 28, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel the same way.
I'm gonna try to buy a small amount of kaolin clay and see if I like the taste.
At least if not, I can use it for facial masks and be done.
But when there are things that don't have other uses, it can be scary to buy them without being able to taste first. But because most clay sellers are international and shipping can be so expensive, it's probably not worth it for them to sell sample packs, unfortunately.
Yeah i can totally understand why it wouldn't be profitable for sellers to send samples oh Well
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7731 Apr 28, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I would love to join in this too. It would be great if you could do this... I just recently moved near a beach. When going for a walk, my father in law pointed out a small hill of blackish clay. But it didnt look appetizing and it was thick mush not hard chunks. I wish it was something good.
Does your father in law know about you eating clay?
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7732 Apr 28, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
I stopped drinking my DE a few days ago, and my cravings for chalk have like exploded. I am eating so much today, it's not even funny.
Starting tomorrow, I'm going to go back to the DE.
Of course I love my chalk and I don't think it is hurting me, but for my body, eating more than a box a day is too much. And I've eaten well over a box today.
Thinking about trying de cuz right now i have art least 3 boxes per day maybe. De will help with that
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7734 Apr 29, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should try the gypsum mixture?I don't think that is sticky.I once chewed on a piece from my son's cast.Did not swallow,just wondered what it would taste like.If I recall it was a little chalky,but no specific taste.And not sticky at all.
My opinion: I would make sure gypsum or plaster of paris is food grade. We need to be careful.
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7735 Apr 29, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
Gypsum seems like it would be the opposite of sticky. From StoneCrusher's posts, it looks like the more gypsum you add, the crunchier the mixture is.
You can always just mix powder chalk with water but it will not hardens as expected even after several minutes on microwaves. Not crunchy at all. Just enough to handle it and transport it in small pieces. Maybe you have to let it dry for a very long time,but even with that , im not sure it will be like rocks.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7736 Apr 29, 2014
@ Crazy for stuff My father in law doesn't know about my clay or chalk eating. He's just into nature and environment.
@ face face face , I take DE too but haven't noticed that it makes any changes in my cravings. There are days that I just crave more.
I too wonder if chalk can be harmful. I bought 2 boxes of crayola reg. 1 was hard and crunchy and the other was softer and had a strange taste to it. When I ate from that box, I noticed I was getting stomach aches. I wish they would list ingredients. Or better yet, I wish someone would manufacture chalk specifically for those of us with these cravings so that we could satisfy ourselves safely. I'm sure they would make a lot of money
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7737 Apr 29, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
@ Crazy for stuff My father in law doesn't know about my clay or chalk eating. He's just into nature and environment.
@ face face face , I take DE too but haven't noticed that it makes any changes in my cravings. There are days that I just crave more.
I too wonder if chalk can be harmful. I bought 2 boxes of crayola reg. 1 was hard and crunchy and the other was softer and had a strange taste to it. When I ate from that box, I noticed I was getting stomach aches. I wish they would list ingredients. Or better yet, I wish someone would manufacture chalk specifically for those of us with these cravings so that we could satisfy ourselves safely. I'm sure they would make a lot of money
Maybe someone on this forum knows a mixture which is safe for internal use....I miss my clay,still have not been able to get to the market due to bad weather.Enough molded,but am looking for the soft,creamy,non gritty chunks they only sell at the market.My mouth is watering just thinking about it........
mia moore

Union, NJ

#7738 Apr 29, 2014
Udz wrote:
<quoted text>
How does eating clay affect having children in the future?and does it cause irregular periods?
Eating clay does not affect having kids I have been eating clay for years. And I have 3 healthy. Children and my sister who eats clay also have 5 kids. It just makes your. Poop hard if u don't drink alot of water. Leslie white clay is great but I didn't like her red. I like red dirt with a lil grit and sour taste n chuncks or powder with a spoon after a. Meal or early in the am yummy! So delicious red frm NC is the truth
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7739 Apr 29, 2014
All things clay wrote:
Even though I love clays and similar things I am still trying to "cure" myself, get rid of my cravings and just enjoy these things in moderation.
I do believe in most cases it is due to mineral deficiencies - in my case I am chronically anaemic and may have other deficiencies too, so feel that if I can fix that my cravings will go too. Have been thinking about a product callled Azomite for a while, and have finally obtained some which I will take in moderation. Anyone ever tried it? Tastes fine to me, but grittier than I expected.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azomite
http://www.freshandalive.com/fresh-and-alive-...
http://missystew.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/azo...
I have low iron too and would also like to get rid if my cravings. I looked into the azomite and it seems interesting. I'm just nervous about the trace amounts of lead. I would think its ok if you're very careful not to have too much, and I don't trust myself. Lol. If I like it, I tend to have more than I should. I know there are times that I have too much DE.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7740 Apr 29, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I have low iron too and would also like to get rid if my cravings. I looked into the azomite and it seems interesting. I'm just nervous about the trace amounts of lead. I would think its ok if you're very careful not to have too much, and I don't trust myself. Lol. If I like it, I tend to have more than I should. I know there are times that I have too much DE.
I have been having it in moderation. It tastes ok, but nothing that I have developed a craving for. I really hope this will help me - just wish it wasn't so gritty.

I know what you mean about the DE, I am the same.

The store that sells the Aztec clay powder is still out, so I can't make some delicious clay and DE chunks. Much to my surprise I found another store selling bentonite clay and was so happy but then so disappointed. The clay was twice as expensive as Aztec, but tastes horrible and salty so I will use it on my face
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#7741 Apr 29, 2014
http://t2.gstatic.com/images...
This is the type of red clay I like. I got this pic from google but this is very similer to the type I eat. Very earthy, feels like little explotions of dirt go off in your mouth when you pop a piece in.
crazy 4stuff w

Aurora, CO

#7742 Apr 29, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
I also find that sometimes boxes taste differently even though i buy them from the same place i guess it depends on where they've been stored.
Doesn't stop me though i always love it lol
But it would be nice if they sold chalk solely for the purpose of eating
crazy 4stuff w

Aurora, CO

#7743 Apr 29, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q =tbn:ANd9GcT-7wnbycOikddUVCrEn Sr4ij6JycoxHs6byCB-ElB9nxgrY8F slzhhJGA
This is the type of red clay I like. I got this pic from google but this is very similer to the type I eat. Very earthy, feels like little explotions of dirt go off in your mouth when you pop a piece in.
That sounds deliciouslol
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7744 Apr 30, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q =tbn:ANd9GcT-7wnbycOikddUVCrEn Sr4ij6JycoxHs6byCB-ElB9nxgrY8F slzhhJGA
What was the yellow clay you bought a big chunk of like.I never read a follow up on that one......
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7745 Apr 30, 2014
Watching epping Nina again I just can't shake the feeling that it just isn't clay that she is eating.It is just way to crumbly and not sticky in the least.Check out her tongue at 40 sec in the clip
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7746 Apr 30, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been having it in moderation. It tastes ok, but nothing that I have developed a craving for. I really hope this will help me - just wish it wasn't so gritty.
I know what you mean about the DE, I am the same.
The store that sells the Aztec clay powder is still out, so I can't make some delicious clay and DE chunks. Much to my surprise I found another store selling bentonite clay and was so happy but then so disappointed. The clay was twice as expensive as Aztec, but tastes horrible and salty so I will use it on my face
While reading about bentonite clay, I saw that there are 2 main types that are usually sold, calcium bentonite and sodium bentonite. You prob got the sodium one. They say that the sodium one is better for detoxing but if u hate the taste, it's prob not worth it. I don't like salty either. Can't understand how people eat baking soda.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hitachino Wagyu & Beer Arrives With Japan's Bes... 4 min LCT 1
News The Winners of 2017 Rodeo Houston's Uncorked! B... 1 hr WinnersPhartss 1
News A sample menu for Georgia prison inmates on Fri... (Jun '09) 20 hr silly rabbit 49
News When You Love An Old Dog, Managing Care Can Be ... Sun Dog Slaves 1
News Bees, please Sat Glen 1
News The Unhealthiest Meals at Chain Restaurants (Jun '15) Sat oink dalsimer 13
News Why Restricting Food Stamp Users From Buying Ju... Feb 24 Texxy the Selfie Cat 1
More from around the web