Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9234 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

crazy 4stuff w

Los Angeles, CA

#7705 Apr 25, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
These are the ones I accidentally bought from amazon. I don't like dustless cuz too sticky for me. But would b good for you. If link doesn't work just go to amazon and search crayola chalk. I think it's 4 boxes for around 5 dollars.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DZS573Y/ref=...
Those are my all time favorite!lol
crazy 4stuff w

Los Angeles, CA

#7706 Apr 25, 2014
I'm on my fourth box today geeze! I just can't stop it's so yummmmmm
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7707 Apr 26, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the brasilian type in a yellow box.i don't recall the name,but it was not argo.They don't sell argo in Suriname.And out of all those clays,which one do you like the most?I only saw them on the websites.I wonder what they taste like as we only have one type of clay here.They look yummy,but I would not want any salted or sour clay.I prefer the real clay flavor.Here they just dig it up and sun/air dry it and sell it.And it tastes great.Sometimes a bit drier than other times,sometimes soft and crumbly,but always good.
It's hard to say which one I liked most....I wish I could combine features of a few to create my perfect clay!

For taste and earthiness my favourites were the red soil cakes and red dirt. Also delicious and addictive was Soul Sista's moulded clay. Then the Wanda clay was so good, with that sour taste I love and pretty pink colour. It depends what mood I'm in to a certain extent, which is why I love when I have variety on hand.

I prefer the darker clays over white dirt. I also prefer natural chunks over molded. If the red soil cakes didn't have so many little hard bits and was available in its natural state I think it would be my perfect type. I can't wait until Leslie's red is available again!

Oh, Soul Sista's natural chunks were very good too.

So many delicious clays out there; still others I am eager to try.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7708 Apr 26, 2014
@all things clay.. That sounds good. The DE chunks I made aren't crunchy at all, so I think I'll try adding bentonite. Before I buy it, what does it taste like? Is it salty at all? Is there a brand that you prefer?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7709 Apr 26, 2014
Even though I love clays and similar things I am still trying to "cure" myself, get rid of my cravings and just enjoy these things in moderation.

I do believe in most cases it is due to mineral deficiencies - in my case I am chronically anaemic and may have other deficiencies too, so feel that if I can fix that my cravings will go too. Have been thinking about a product callled Azomite for a while, and have finally obtained some which I will take in moderation. Anyone ever tried it? Tastes fine to me, but grittier than I expected.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azomite

http://www.freshandalive.com/fresh-and-alive-...

http://missystew.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/azo...
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7710 Apr 26, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
@all things clay.. That sounds good. The DE chunks I made aren't crunchy at all, so I think I'll try adding bentonite. Before I buy it, what does it taste like? Is it salty at all? Is there a brand that you prefer?
I use Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay - it isn't labelled food grade or marketed as edible but I have been using it for years now. To me it has a mild taste, better than other bentonites I have tried and not salty at all.
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7711 Apr 26, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever you may mean by it, it doesn't come across well to say things like "I guess you're not all that stupid" - which is not the first time you have used the word stupid here.
A few words of advice: I have been on this forum long enough to know that you won't win many friends here if you continue in that vein. We are all in the same boat, and do not need one who should be able to relate making condescending comments! You may not have meant to, and sorry if I seem harsh, but that's how it came across.
You say "it's all the same stuff" - but yet also mention the food grade types thus suggesting that it's NOT all the same?
In my opinion it is dangerous to automatically assume that warning labels are there solely to protect the manufacturer from being sued. As an example, I looked at a bag of plaster of paris that had warning labels warning of the risk of burns - so much so that it even warned against using it on the skin to make a plaster cast. So you're telling us to ignore this and eat it?
I posted about the gypsum I did buy because I had concerns. It did not look like I expected, as I thought it would be a fine pure white powder like the plaster of paris - but instead it is a beige colour and grittier so clearly not "all the same stuff".
When it comes to gypsum I think I will try to find some labelled food grade - and if I am stupid for being willing to pay a bit more for it so be it.
To close that topic, i DIDNT say you can go for it and ingesting your product without caution. Once again, re-read my previous posts. Stop saying things i didnt said. You are old enough to make a difference between NATURAL products and products with CHEMICAL ADDITIVES. Please stop being narrow-minded, denigrating and in bad faith...
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7712 Apr 26, 2014
StoneCrusher wrote:
<quoted text>
To close that topic, i DIDNT say you can go for it and ingesting your product without caution. Once again, re-read my previous posts. Stop saying things i didnt said. You are old enough to make a difference between NATURAL products and products with CHEMICAL ADDITIVES. Please stop being narrow-minded, denigrating and in bad faith...
I stand by every word I said, and suggest that YOU go back and read your posts. It is my belief that anyone with reasonable comprehension skills would have made the same conclusions as to what you were saying as I did.

I don't come on here to argue or talk down to people, but to talk with like-minded people and to learn and share what I have learned in a pleasant way - and I will also speak out to clarify/question in a polite way when I feel necessary which is what I have done with you. Can you say the same?

I do not intend to engage in a war of words with you; in fact unless you are woman enough to accept that your referred to posts came across wrong I won't be further engaging with you at all.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7713 Apr 26, 2014
I used to buy chalk imported from China a few years back.It was about a hundred pieces for about $2.I could chew a whole box in one sitting.It tasted sooooo good.They did not even bother to give it a name.But at some time,they stopped importing it.And I was kind of glad,because I wanted to stop eating chalk.But after that I discovered baby powder.It had been in stock for a while,because all the chemical taste and stuff was gone from it and it just felt wonderfully dry in my mouth.Until that stock was gone as well.And then a collegue of mine told me to try out the kaolin clay.At first I didn't like it at all.But the more I tried it,the better it tasted.I am now addicted for four years and just can't do without.But I would like to stop,but if I am without for longer than a few days,I can't think straight.All I want and crave than is my sweet,sweet,comfortin and stress relieving clay...
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7714 Apr 26, 2014
suri clay wrote:
I used to buy chalk imported from China a few years back.It was about a hundred pieces for about $2.I could chew a whole box in one sitting.It tasted sooooo good.They did not even bother to give it a name.But at some time,they stopped importing it.And I was kind of glad,because I wanted to stop eating chalk.But after that I discovered baby powder.It had been in stock for a while,because all the chemical taste and stuff was gone from it and it just felt wonderfully dry in my mouth.Until that stock was gone as well.And then a collegue of mine told me to try out the kaolin clay.At first I didn't like it at all.But the more I tried it,the better it tasted.I am now addicted for four years and just can't do without.But I would like to stop,but if I am without for longer than a few days,I can't think straight.All I want and crave than is my sweet,sweet,comfortin and stress relieving clay...
That's how i feel about chalk i just always have to have it!
Is the clay better than chalk?
How much do u eat? N what kind like who do you get it from?
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7715 Apr 27, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
<quoted text>
That's how i feel about chalk i just always have to have it!
Is the clay better than chalk?
How much do u eat? N what kind like who do you get it from?
I would not say that it is better than chalk.But it feels safer to ingest it.And I really eat a lot.I can finish a bag with four big chunks at once.And chunks are very big over here.Around four times the size of those in epping Nina's clip.Sometimes bigger.And (dirt) cheap.I prefer the molded onces as they are more powdery and dry and I have a friend around the corner who digs up clay from her pit on a regular basis.And it is one big pit.I once went with her.It's the best to see all that beautiful clay just in it's natural form.Just break a piece off and pop it in your mouth.Could not get better than that.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7716 Apr 27, 2014
Ingest???????Is that even a word?I meant to swallow......Just in case LOL..........
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7717 Apr 27, 2014
suri clay wrote:
Ingest???????Is that even a word?I meant to swallow......Just in case LOL..........
Yes that is a word lol. Where are you from?
You are so lucky to have it so close n available to you.
I really wanna try clay but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed n i don't wanna pay a lot for something that I'm no t site about the taste
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7718 Apr 27, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
<quoted text>
I really wanna try clay but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed n i don't wanna pay a lot for something that I'm no t site about the taste
I am from Suriname.We still speak dutch over here.I know it is expensive over there.Where are you from?Maybe I can sent you a chunk or two sometime???It is a lot like chalk but not quite the same.Am I making sense?
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7719 Apr 27, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel the same way.
I'm gonna try to buy a small amount of kaolin clay and see if I like the taste.
At least if not, I can use it for facial masks and be done.

But when there are things that don't have other uses, it can be scary to buy them without being able to taste first. But because most clay sellers are international and shipping can be so expensive, it's probably not worth it for them to sell sample packs, unfortunately.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7720 Apr 27, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel the same way.
I'm gonna try to buy a small amount of kaolin clay and see if I like the taste.
At least if not, I can use it for facial masks and be done.
But when there are things that don't have other uses, it can be scary to buy them without being able to taste first. But because most clay sellers are international and shipping can be so expensive, it's probably not worth it for them to sell sample packs, unfortunately.
Maybe I could check out about shipping and stuff from Suriname to where you are.And then I could send over a big stock and you can divide it amongst yourself......
Animal Instinct

Beverly, MA

#7721 Apr 27, 2014
The craving should be checked by a doctor to rule out a deficiency or exposure to toxins. If they are not the reason, don't worry about it unless you chelate to the point that you develop an imbalance of electrolytes or other important vitamins and minerals.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7722 Apr 27, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I could check out about shipping and stuff from Suriname to where you are.And then I could send over a big stock and you can divide it amongst yourself......
I would love to join in this too. It would be great if you could do this... I just recently moved near a beach. When going for a walk, my father in law pointed out a small hill of blackish clay. But it didnt look appetizing and it was thick mush not hard chunks. I wish it was something good.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7724 Apr 28, 2014
I reread the posts and just realized you r talking about kaolin clay. I bought 2 bags from Leslie and I don't like it. Too sticky for me... So I will not be joining in... Waiting to try Leslie's red dirt. Does anyone know why it's only available in summer?
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7725 Apr 28, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
I reread the posts and just realized you r talking about kaolin clay. I bought 2 bags from Leslie and I don't like it. Too sticky for me... So I will not be joining in... Waiting to try Leslie's red dirt. Does anyone know why it's only available in summer?
That is true.It can be very sticky,especially the moulded ones.But the really dry chunks can sometimes surprise you and be quite chalky and almost not stick.But you have to be lucky to find those,so I understand.No harm done...I do wonder if the Leslie and Wanda white dirt differs a lot from our clay......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Veganism - doing the right thing (Jul '11) 11 hr Human 976
News Construction under way on Trevioli Italian Kitc... Sat General Zod 5
News Wendy's testing a 'pretzel burger' (Jan '13) Sat Lisa 3
News Northwest Side gains new Indian dining spot Sat Tim 2
News Pizza place coming to downtown corridor Sat Chu Chu Rubusco 7
News Vito and Nick's II: Now In a Supermarket Near You (Nov '11) Sat Proud cheer fan 27
News Worcester restaurants close as part of 'Day Wit... Sat Bennie Hana 5
More from around the web