Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9271 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7685 Apr 24, 2014
Here's the video, enjoy the sound !

http://fr.tinypic.com/r/102m4k4/8
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7686 Apr 24, 2014
StoneCrusher wrote:
<quoted text>
They taste nothing. Really. Like maybe uncooked flour or something... No salty,sugar or anything.
<quoted text>
These are smooth when you eat them. With a lovely crunch. Yep, these huge chunks are to be eaten in a quiet and lonely place for sure :p I make different size when i mold them, the little ones are already gone :p But, they are very powdery. When you take one chunk, you got powder on your fingers, and your lips. You have to wipe your hands and your mouth carefully. Ask for the recipe.
I'll upload the videos in few minutes. Just wait.
So what were these chunks made of?

I have to say nervous of gypsum. Just bought a bag that says all natural and safe, and says it is for garden use. BUT it also says not to swallow or put in mouth. Does the type you use say this?

Oh well if I am not brave enough to try it can always use in my garden.
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7687 Apr 24, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
So what were these chunks made of?
I have to say nervous of gypsum. Just bought a bag that says all natural and safe, and says it is for garden use. BUT it also says not to swallow or put in mouth. Does the type you use say this?
Oh well if I am not brave enough to try it can always use in my garden.
I cant explain it endlessly... Gypsum is used for many applications from food to cosmetics, potery, construction and so on... Then, you got food grade ones.You use products that contains gypsum everyday even if you dont know it. Gypsum is just a chemical extraction from chalk. Its the same basis : calcium. For construction, we call it plaster/plaster of paris/gypsum. Its all the same stuff. I guess you're not all that stupid so i'm pretty sure you've made some search by yourself. Chalk = Calcium Carbonate, Gypsum = Calcium Sulfate. I dont know what is difficult to understand. After that, quantity is the key. You dont have to mix too much of it in straight chalk to get it hard. You can start by 50/50 to be sure you'll got decent hardened chunks, or 60/40, 70/30, etc. Warning messages are mandatory on every products industrials sells all over the world. Since, especially in US, you are suing everyone for everything and anything...
Icychalk

United States

#7688 Apr 24, 2014
@stonecrusher... Why so pompous, irritated and defensive. We are all in the same pica boat, just trying to satisfy our cravings as safely as possible. We share our experiences and try to help each other. Sometimes we repeat ourselves because we forget past posts or maybe we didn't read everything. It's possible that all things clay may have gotten a bag if gypsum that was processed in a different way or on shared machinery. I don't think it's wise to intimidate her into thinking its safe, sight unseen.... We have enough to worry about people thinking we r stupid for what we crave. We shouldn't have to worry about our fellow picas calling us stupid too.
Please post with kindness.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7689 Apr 24, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine was a laptop too. The vents were on the bottom, which was terrible for keeping the computer cool but great for drying chalk LOL.
The frozen chalk is a good idea...let us know how it works!
Ok.. So I froze some chalk and I put some in the microwave. I only microwaved for about 30 sec and it made no difference. The frozen chalk just tasted like cold chalk.... The search continues...:/
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7690 Apr 24, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
@stonecrusher... Why so pompous, irritated and defensive. We are all in the same pica boat, just trying to satisfy our cravings as safely as possible. We share our experiences and try to help each other. Sometimes we repeat ourselves because we forget past posts or maybe we didn't read everything. It's possible that all things clay may have gotten a bag if gypsum that was processed in a different way or on shared machinery. I don't think it's wise to intimidate her into thinking its safe, sight unseen.... We have enough to worry about people thinking we r stupid for what we crave. We shouldn't have to worry about our fellow picas calling us stupid too.
Please post with kindness.
I'm not pompous, irritated, defensive, cocky or anything. Really. I'm not here to incitate anybody to do anything bad for their health.. I'm sharing my stuff. That's it. And i explain it carefully. We're not here to poison ourselves, that's why i'm repeating it cause it seems to be not well understood. Maybe it sounds rude but it's not. Sincerely. Its not because i'm using the word "stupid" that i think you all are. Please re-read ;) Anyway, if you got questions, if you think i can respond then do so.

Plus, i'm on my way to quit that bad habit that i'm on for few years. I didnt started with that mixture. But its the safer, the bigger and the cheaper one for me with white and green clay (bentonite/montmorillonite). I guess i know all the things about all types of clay, white, yellow, red, green, brown and so on... Not here to give lessons, but you all know that you should reduce your takes. Especially on a daily basis.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7691 Apr 24, 2014
StoneCrusher wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not pompous, irritated, defensive, cocky or anything. Really. I'm not here to incitate anybody to do anything bad for their health.. I'm sharing my stuff. That's it. And i explain it carefully. We're not here to poison ourselves, that's why i'm repeating it cause it seems to be not well understood. Maybe it sounds rude but it's not. Sincerely. Its not because i'm using the word "stupid" that i think you all are. Please re-read ;) Anyway, if you got questions, if you think i can respond then do so.
Plus, i'm on my way to quit that bad habit that i'm on for few years. I didnt started with that mixture. But its the safer, the bigger and the cheaper one for me with white and green clay (bentonite/montmorillonite). I guess i know all the things about all types of clay, white, yellow, red, green, brown and so on... Not here to give lessons, but you all know that you should reduce your takes. Especially on a daily basis.
It did come off as rude but if that was not your intention, then I stand corrected. If you know all about clay, can u recommend one that is crunchy with a little fine grit and that doesn't stick to teeth?
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7692 Apr 24, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
If you know all about clay, can u recommend one that is crunchy with a little fine grit and that doesn't stick to teeth?
I didnt said that i tried ALL the clays, but i know all their characterisitcs on their composition. Not the same :p Sorry.
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7693 Apr 24, 2014
I was looking on line and I saw that in the u.k they sell a type of chalk called French chalk or soapstone chalk that look similar to the chalk in Epping Nina video. Maybe it is but to find the right brand.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7694 Apr 24, 2014
StoneCrusher wrote:
<quoted text>
I cant explain it endlessly... Gypsum is used for many applications from food to cosmetics, potery, construction and so on... Then, you got food grade ones.You use products that contains gypsum everyday even if you dont know it. Gypsum is just a chemical extraction from chalk. Its the same basis : calcium. For construction, we call it plaster/plaster of paris/gypsum. Its all the same stuff. I guess you're not all that stupid so i'm pretty sure you've made some search by yourself. Chalk = Calcium Carbonate, Gypsum = Calcium Sulfate. I dont know what is difficult to understand. After that, quantity is the key. You dont have to mix too much of it in straight chalk to get it hard. You can start by 50/50 to be sure you'll got decent hardened chunks, or 60/40, 70/30, etc. Warning messages are mandatory on every products industrials sells all over the world. Since, especially in US, you are suing everyone for everything and anything...
Whatever you may mean by it, it doesn't come across well to say things like "I guess you're not all that stupid" - which is not the first time you have used the word stupid here.

A few words of advice: I have been on this forum long enough to know that you won't win many friends here if you continue in that vein. We are all in the same boat, and do not need one who should be able to relate making condescending comments! You may not have meant to, and sorry if I seem harsh, but that's how it came across.

You say "it's all the same stuff" - but yet also mention the food grade types thus suggesting that it's NOT all the same?

In my opinion it is dangerous to automatically assume that warning labels are there solely to protect the manufacturer from being sued. As an example, I looked at a bag of plaster of paris that had warning labels warning of the risk of burns - so much so that it even warned against using it on the skin to make a plaster cast. So you're telling us to ignore this and eat it?

I posted about the gypsum I did buy because I had concerns. It did not look like I expected, as I thought it would be a fine pure white powder like the plaster of paris - but instead it is a beige colour and grittier so clearly not "all the same stuff".

When it comes to gypsum I think I will try to find some labelled food grade - and if I am stupid for being willing to pay a bit more for it so be it.
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7695 Apr 24, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't worry about other people. Unless they eat it too, they wouldn't suspect anything. And I like the explanation that u donate to a teacher friend or school if they ask... You're lucky that you found a chalk u love. I buy mostly 2 brands and sometimes I can buy 3 boxes and 1 box will have a strange flavor. with the other brand, I get pieces that have a bitter taste mixed with pieces that taste good. Either way, I can't find anything I truly love. Nothing is consistently good so my search goes on.:/
Yeah i usually don't care but the reactions do get annoying sometimes. The ones i have access to are sargent brand which to me isn't the very best but are still good.crayola anti dust are my ultimate favorite but they don't sell those in a store near me
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7696 Apr 25, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I stock up when I travel, but it never lasts long enough lol.- last time I purchased seven different types.
When I don't have clay chunks I satisfy cravings with bentonite powder, DE and white chalk. I used to be a big cornstarch eater too, but don't crave that anymore.
I've been taking DE too. I prefer to mix with water cuz it leaves a gritty residue and I love that. But if I make chunks or eat a spoonful, that grit is not there. I wonder why... How do u take it? Have you noticed any health benefits?
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7697 Apr 25, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah i usually don't care but the reactions do get annoying sometimes. The ones i have access to are sargent brand which to me isn't the very best but are still good.crayola anti dust are my ultimate favorite but they don't sell those in a store near me
These are the ones I accidentally bought from amazon. I don't like dustless cuz too sticky for me. But would b good for you. If link doesn't work just go to amazon and search crayola chalk. I think it's 4 boxes for around 5 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DZS573Y/ref=...
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7698 Apr 25, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been taking DE too. I prefer to mix with water cuz it leaves a gritty residue and I love that. But if I make chunks or eat a spoonful, that grit is not there. I wonder why... How do u take it? Have you noticed any health benefits?
I mostly eat it dry, but sometimes mixed with water and sometimes mixed with water and bentonite clay - that mixture is delicious, and when baked makes nice slightly gritty crumbly chunks.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7699 Apr 25, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you live?I once had a spoonful of cornstarch and it was simply horrible.So which other types of clay did you stock up on?Because we only have the kaolin clay over here.
Bermuda.

Do you remember what type cornstarch you had? I ask because they don't all taste the same - my favourite was Argo, the type in the box.

I stocked up on the three Mavu types, two Soul Sista types, Wanda's clay, and a little of Leslie's red.
icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7700 Apr 25, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I mostly eat it dry, but sometimes mixed with water and sometimes mixed with water and bentonite clay - that mixture is delicious, and when baked makes nice slightly gritty crumbly chunks.
How do you make the DE and bentonite chunks?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7701 Apr 25, 2014
icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you make the DE and bentonite chunks?
This is what I said in an earlier post:

Just wanted to share with you all what I am currently chewing on: my homemade clay and DE chunks! They are so good, and look and taste similar to ghana moulded clay (well the clay I have had from Soul Sista is better, but this is a good substitute for when I don't have that or other nice chunky clay).

I made the chunks by mixing pretty equal parts of Aztec brand clay with DE and adding just enough water so that the mixture can be shaped. I then heated them for a few minutes in a frying pan (don't know if this step necessary, but that's what I did) then baked in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for about an hour. Crunchy, slightly crumbly tasty chunks!

I heated mine in a frying pan before baking because I thought it might help the flavour, but then remembered that it isn't considered good to have clay come in contact with metal so I will leave this step out next time.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7702 Apr 25, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Bermuda.
Do you remember what type cornstarch you had? I ask because they don't all taste the same - my favourite was Argo, the type in the box.
I stocked up on the three Mavu types, two Soul Sista types, Wanda's clay, and a little of Leslie's red.
It was the brasilian type in a yellow box.i don't recall the name,but it was not argo.They don't sell argo in Suriname.And out of all those clays,which one do you like the most?I only saw them on the websites.I wonder what they taste like as we only have one type of clay here.They look yummy,but I would not want any salted or sour clay.I prefer the real clay flavor.Here they just dig it up and sun/air dry it and sell it.And it tastes great.Sometimes a bit drier than other times,sometimes soft and crumbly,but always good.
Curious

Stockbridge, GA

#7703 Apr 25, 2014
StoneCrusher wrote:
Here's the video, enjoy the sound !
http://fr.tinypic.com/r/102m4k4/8
that sounded like it was so good. Nice and crunchy. Kind of look like molded chalk. Maybe try putting it in a brown paper bag it might bring out an earthy flavor. If you like earthy flavored clay.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7704 Apr 25, 2014
ann wrote:
I was looking on line and I saw that in the u.k they sell a type of chalk called French chalk or soapstone chalk that look similar to the chalk in Epping Nina video. Maybe it is but to find the right brand.
I looked up French chalk and it does look like square chalk. I got excited. Lol. but it is more translucent rather than solid white. Epping Nina's looked more chalky white. The French chalk is mostly all talc. I think i read somewhere that talc is bad for u.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News These Coastal Cities Have the Most Vacation Hom... 8 hr Jefferson Davis 1
News This Alley Restaurant Is One of Southwest Flori... 13 hr Cuban Coffee 1
News Salt Lick going up in Round Rock (Jul '08) Sat Sharts 40
News Speedy Texas deputy avoids hard-charging cow new Sat Notification 24
News Chipotle HQ leaving Denver, plans move to Newpo... May 24 Double 07 1
News BrewDog opens watering hole in Franklinton Upda... May 23 They cannot kill ... 2
News MSU Gets Anonymous $1 Million Gift For Gay Center (Jul '14) May 23 Guy 46