Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9261 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7599 Apr 13, 2014
Tailorschalklover wrote:
Im really thinking about starting to sell clay, i live in jamaica and the clay here is sooooo sooo earthy and tasty....
Please let us know if you do!

What I the clay like? Is it like white dirt, or if not what type clay is it similar too?

You are so lucky to have that access; I remember someone from Jamaica used to be on here and I seem to recall she had difficulty in getting it...is it found throughout the island, or just in parts?

I am still trying to find some here in Bermuda. We have nice reddish soil, but so far I haven't found real clay although people say it is here down deep in certain locations.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7600 Apr 13, 2014
ann wrote:
I went on ebay and they have red clay dirt for sale. Who would have thought?
Is it clay chunks? Is it possible to provide a link?

Thanks
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7601 Apr 13, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it clay chunks? Is it possible to provide a link?
Thanks
It did not look like chunks. I am not sure how to add the link. Go to ebay and type in red clay dirt.

I realize that they have clay all over Jamaica when I was on vacation last year. I noticed while driving on the highway you can pull to the side of the road and a wall of clay would be right there. I plan to get some when I return in August.
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7602 Apr 13, 2014
So as y'all can imagine with the quantity of chalk i always keep some in stock well today i went to a different supply store fron my usual n was asked if I'm a teacher when i said no the clerk looked like she needed an explanation to ring me up how irritating
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7603 Apr 13, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
So as y'all can imagine with the quantity of chalk i always keep some in stock well today i went to a different supply store fron my usual n was asked if I'm a teacher when i said no the clerk looked like she needed an explanation to ring me up how irritating
Some people are too nosey. Or maybe she was curious because she eats it too lol!

I think there are more secret chalk eaters than people think...here the chalk goes off the shelves quickly. I try not to be greedy when I buy it, even though I am tempted to buy it all, but next time I find a source of the extra crunchy type I like I'm going to buy as much as I can - each man for himself!
Lisa

Reading, UK

#7604 Apr 14, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people are too nosey. Or maybe she was curious because she eats it too lol!
I think there are more secret chalk eaters than people think...here the chalk goes off the shelves quickly. I try not to be greedy when I buy it, even though I am tempted to buy it all, but next time I find a source of the extra crunchy type I like I'm going to buy as much as I can - each man for himself!
I would just buy in bulk so I make less trips and then just say I'm donating it to schools in Africa if anyone asks lol!
Inlove with aylio

Etobicoke, Canada

#7605 Apr 14, 2014
I just realized how great! Clay tastes with milk together omg yumm! It makes it more creamy and less sticky. Have anyone else tried it?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7606 Apr 14, 2014
Inlove with aylio wrote:
I just realized how great! Clay tastes with milk together omg yumm! It makes it more creamy and less sticky. Have anyone else tried it?
The closest I have come to this is sprinkling clay or DE on vanilla ice cream...sounds strange, probably, but I love it.

How do you eat it with milk? Do you mix it, turn it into chunks? Or just take a bite of clay and a sip of milk?
Inlove with aylio

Toronto, Canada

#7607 Apr 14, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The closest I have come to this is sprinkling clay or DE on vanilla ice cream...sounds strange, probably, but I love it.
How do you eat it with milk? Do you mix it, turn it into chunks? Or just take a bite of clay and a sip of milk?
I was drinking milk and I decided to crush my chunks and then ate it but it was really creamy and was sticking to my gums so I drank some of my milk and that's how I realized it taste soo good lol I don't mix it with the milk though but I'm going to trying making chunks like that.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7608 Apr 14, 2014
Hey clay family,everybody doing okay?I was wondering if maybe I should start shipping clay.It is so cheap over here.For $1 I can get about 1 lbs of clay.Maybe even more.All I need to do is find out how much for shipping and stuff.But all we have here is kaolin,when it comes to clay.The crunchy air dried chunks and the smokey moulded pink kaolin clay.No red or yellow or any other,unfortunately.....
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7609 Apr 14, 2014
Inlove with aylio wrote:
<quoted text> I was drinking milk and I decided to crush my chunks and then ate it but it was really creamy and was sticking to my gums so I drank some of my milk and that's how I realized it taste soo good lol I don't mix it with the milk though but I'm going to trying making chunks like that.
Just my opinion, but I don't think it would be good to make chunks out of milk.
Milk can act strangely when combined with heat....what if it curdles up or reacts strangely with the clay when you bake/microwave it?
Info

UK

#7610 Apr 14, 2014
suri clay wrote:
Hey clay family,everybody doing okay?I was wondering if maybe I should start shipping clay.It is so cheap over here.For $1 I can get about 1 lbs of clay.Maybe even more.All I need to do is find out how much for shipping and stuff.But all we have here is kaolin,when it comes to clay.The crunchy air dried chunks and the smokey moulded pink kaolin clay.No red or yellow or any other,unfortunately.....
I think that's excellent, yes if you could find out for shipping to the UK..?
crazy 4stuff w

San Diego, CA

#7611 Apr 15, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, that's news to me!
For as long as I've been eating it, I've only seen the dustless variety.
....now I want to try the non-dustless lmao.
I've hadthe regular n I'm not a fan i prefer dustless
crazy 4stuff w

San Diego, CA

#7612 Apr 15, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I think so too! I thought she was going to yell out i eat it too lol
I am totally greedy though I'll clean out a shelf if possible lol
crazy 4stuff w

San Diego, CA

#7613 Apr 15, 2014
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
I would just buy in bulk so I make less trips and then just say I'm donating it to schools in Africa if anyone asks lol!
I usually buy everything they have in stock I'm greedy lol
sona

Mumbai, India

#7614 Apr 15, 2014
M also addicted of clay and chalk :(
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#7615 Apr 15, 2014
Hey Clay Fam!!!
Just came back from an interview in a different area than the 1 I stay in, on the way to the taxi rank I noticed nice chunks of clay being sold by the ladies on the side of the street, so I went nd bought a HUGE chunk for myself, for R1. The ladys friend started telling me to rather buy bananas instead of clay, nd when did I start eating clay etc. Felt like she was causing a scene! Anyway, ddnt care much, its not my area nd nobody knows me.
I still havnt gathered up the power to buy the deep red clay, by the place I pass to nd rom work.
Can't wait to get to my place nd try this huge chunk of yellow, clay. It looks so earthy
UK CLAY

Llandudno, UK

#7616 Apr 15, 2014
Are there any reviews on the Ayilo that Ghana Baked Clay sells?

Soul Sistas is crunchy earthy and gritty, is it the same as GBC?
Lisa

London, UK

#7617 Apr 15, 2014
UK CLAY wrote:
Are there any reviews on the Ayilo that Ghana Baked Clay sells?
Soul Sistas is crunchy earthy and gritty, is it the same as GBC?
Pretty much the same. I'd say slightly less grit and more expensive. Thats all really.
clayster

Zimbabwe

#7618 Apr 16, 2014
Inlove with aylio wrote:
clay with milk sound great,will definately try it with ma smooth,white clay..the creamier the better...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shorty's Place changing ownership and management (Jul '14) 1 hr Whatajoke 7
News America's First Meat-Free Fast-Food Restaurant ... 6 hr CO MW Support Col... 2
News Recipe for disaster: inside the New York City P... Wed KMD 1
News Knife & Fork (Sep '09) Tue bummed 22
News Mansion's reverend has skeletons in his closet (Jul '08) Sep 18 DiLeos D 220
balsamic steak with fresh cherry (spruss?) vina... Sep 18 nowdatsfakinggreat 1
News Craft brewery bringing back long-forgotten brew... Sep 18 Hops 1
More from around the web