Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9259 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

crazy 4stuff

San Diego, CA

#7578 Apr 9, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
I'm eating a lot of chalk today and I don't know why. I also started eating the perlite out of my potting soil. Its soft and gritty and some pieces are so earthy, but as I was digging around I saw a bug and it freaked me out. Now my throat hurts, so I think I'll go chew some ice... Pica is making me crazy!!
How much do u consider a lot? I tend to eat3 boxes per day more if i feel anxious Or Am HAVING a bad day.
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#7579 Apr 9, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
I'm eating a lot of chalk today and I don't know why. I also started eating the perlite out of my potting soil. Its soft and gritty and some pieces are so earthy, but as I was digging around I saw a bug and it freaked me out. Now my throat hurts, so I think I'll go chew some ice... Pica is making me crazy!!
I'm eating alot today too lol. But I've eaten so little in the past few days that I feel like it will all balance out lol.

@crazy 4stuff, I think it's so interesting that you can eat that much in a day, especially because I try really hard to not exceed a box a day but I have no clue why I set that amount as my limit.
How long have you been eating chalk?
Have you always eaten that much, or did you work your way up to that amount?
sara

Mississauga, Canada

#7580 Apr 9, 2014
Hey @soulsista how do I order clay chunks from you?
sara

Mississauga, Canada

#7581 Apr 9, 2014
How can I buy chunks from you? I live in canada...
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7582 Apr 9, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I looked it up once because I didn't understand why or how it worked.
But it turns out that the brand that I like is 95% calcium carbonate, which is really good for easing indigestion and heartburn.
It's even the active ingredient in Tums!
I don't know if other brands will work, since not all of them are made from calcium carbonate, but I'm sure glad this one does.
Hi, which brand are you referring to here?
crazy 4stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#7583 Apr 10, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm eating alot today too lol. But I've eaten so little in the past few days that I feel like it will all balance out lol.
@crazy 4stuff, I think it's so interesting that you can eat that much in a day, especially because I try really hard to not exceed a box a day but I have no clue why I set that amount as my limit.
How long have you been eating chalk?
Have you always eaten that much, or did you work your way up to that amount?
Sometimes I'm baffled by how much eat but once i start it's sooooooo hard to stop it's just so good to me i worked. Up to that amount before a nibble once in a while would dio. I think out also depends on what kind of day I'm having if it's bad one i just munch away like crazy. Right now i have the sargent brand which is not even my favorite but if it was I'm sure id be having way more lol
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7584 Apr 10, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
How much do u consider a lot? I tend to eat3 boxes per day more if i feel anxious Or Am HAVING a bad day.
I think I was feeling anxious. I think I usually eat about 4-6 sticks a day but yesterday it was close to 10. Plus, I usually eat small pcs at a time. Yesterday I was eating whole sticks. Maybe I'm just increasing my habit cuz I started out eating 1-2 sticks a day. At 3 boxes a day, u must have to keep cases on hand. Where do u get so much of it?
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#7585 Apr 10, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, which brand are you referring to here?
Prang Hygieia, white only. It's yum yum.:D

@crazy 4stuff, which one is your favorite lol?
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7586 Apr 10, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a prang hygiea that comes in anti dust. Cuz I think I had it once and it stuck to my teeth. Not sure if I may have had the wrong kind.
clayster

Zimbabwe

#7587 Apr 11, 2014
guyz clay iz juss 2 delicious especially the smooth,cream roasted clay from zimbabwe and the deep red smooth clay..sometimes i wish i lived near claypits so i could eat clay anytime i want to..
Info

Rochester, UK

#7589 Apr 11, 2014
clayster wrote:
guyz clay iz juss 2 delicious especially the smooth,cream roasted clay from zimbabwe and the deep red smooth clay..sometimes i wish i lived near claypits so i could eat clay anytime i want to..
Is this cream roasted clay the same as Mavu's.?
The deep red smooth sounds really good!
Mavu can you get this clay to sell..?
Lisa

Reading, UK

#7590 Apr 11, 2014
I been chomping on both the yummy red soil and the original clay from Mavu and they really compliment each other depending on what mood I'm in.

I've been really trying to be more disciplined and not eating everything in one go but sometimes it's just that good!

How do some of you ladies go about stretching your clays and dirt to make them last longer?
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7591 Apr 11, 2014
I went on ebay and they have red clay dirt for sale. Who would have thought?
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7592 Apr 11, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a prang hygiea that comes in anti dust. Cuz I think I had it once and it stuck to my teeth. Not sure if I may have had the wrong kind.
Yes, the only one they sell is dustless.

It can definitely stick to your teeth a bit, but I put up with that because I love the flavor and texture. I always drink lots of water right after eating chalk, and that really helps remove anything stuck to my teeth.
crazy 4stuff w

Fairfield, CA

#7593 Apr 11, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I was feeling anxious. I think I usually eat about 4-6 sticks a day but yesterday it was close to 10. Plus, I usually eat small pcs at a time. Yesterday I was eating whole sticks. Maybe I'm just increasing my habit cuz I started out eating 1-2 sticks a day. At 3 boxes a day, u must have to keep cases on hand. Where do u get so much of it?
At the local office supply store
crazy 4stuff w

Fairfield, CA

#7594 Apr 11, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Top pick is crayola anti dust second choice sargent anti dust which is what i have now
crazy 4stuff w

Fairfield, CA

#7595 Apr 11, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the only one they sell is dustless.
It can definitely stick to your teeth a bit, but I put up with that because I love the flavor and texture. I always drink lots of water right after eating chalk, and that really helps remove anything stuck to my teeth.
I've ran into regular prang also
Tailorschalklove r

Kingston, Jamaica

#7596 Apr 12, 2014
Im really thinking about starting to sell clay, i live in jamaica and the clay here is sooooo sooo earthy and tasty....
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7597 Apr 12, 2014
Tailorschalklover wrote:
Im really thinking about starting to sell clay, i live in jamaica and the clay here is sooooo sooo earthy and tasty....
I have never had clay from Jamaica. I was there last year and did a lot of driving and I saw so many places where I can just pull over and take a chunk of clay. I will try and get some when i go this summer. Where in JA do you get your clay?
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7598 Apr 13, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
<quoted text>
I've ran into regular prang also
Oh, that's news to me!
For as long as I've been eating it, I've only seen the dustless variety.

....now I want to try the non-dustless lmao.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Veganism - doing the right thing (Jul '11) 14 hr Concerned 982
News Farm-to-plate restaurant to set up shop in Quak... 15 hr Rod Evans 23
News Restaurant Road Trip: Brewport a " Pizza Hot Of... Sun America Gentleman... 2
News A weird Florida mystery: Meat falling from the sky Jul 21 Mona 2
News Finally Getting Sweet on Jioio's Pizza (Jan '13) Jul 21 pgh 4
News The Un-Pretty History Of Georgia's Iconic Peach Jul 21 KIR SUCKA 8
News A weird Florida mystery: Frozen pork falling fr... Jul 20 Fundiementally ill 1
More from around the web