Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,484
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
facefaceface

Washington, DC

#7449 Mar 20, 2014
Just tried DE and I don't like it. It has a slightly....dirt-like taste that I do not care for at all. The kind of chalk that I like tastes clean...not earthy at all. The DE does dissolve down nicely and has no grit, so that's nice.

I can't send it back, so I guess I will have to eat it. I'll try to form it into chunks to see if that helps.

If not, I'll mix it with water and drink it down, because one way or another, I have to get rid of it.
And at least I will get to see if there are any positive health effects from it.
Icychalk

Staten Island, NY

#7450 Mar 20, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
How do you make DE into chunks, actually?
And how would you describe the flavor?
You take a few tbsps and add enough water to make a paste. Then I baked it around 300-350 for about an hour I think. U just have to watch it and make sure it dries out completely. It doesn't have much of a flavor and its smooth and creamy. Not sticky. Just make sure u get food grade.
crazy 4stuff

United States

#7451 Mar 20, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I usually order from either Leslie (georgiawhitedirt .com) or Wanda (goodoledirt .com).
Depending on what you'll like to try first .
-Leslie dirt is earthy & crumbly . It has a nice crunch .
-Wanda dirt is not your typical white dirt, her dirt is sour white dirt but it's very very earthy , nice & smooth . She's my favorite because I like sour dirt .
I recommend either of these websites because you'll get more for you money. Just a a little top though. If you still want to try home grown Georgia dirt then that's fine too . Good luck on your dirt experience .
Is Leslie's sticky? I don't think it'd like something sticky
Icychalk

Staten Island, NY

#7452 Mar 21, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Leslie's sticky? I don't think it'd like something sticky
I bought my white dirt from Leslie. For me, it stuck to my teeth and gums. I even baked it a second time and it still does it. I plan to email Leslie to ask her about her red dirt.... Btw, I saw a nontoxic clay made by crayola. It's supposed to air dry. Not sure if its good but maybe someone out there might like it.
AyiloSeller

London, UK

#7453 Mar 21, 2014
Hi
If anyone is interested in buying ayilo (baked clay) from then please visit my website www.ghanabakedclay.bigcartel.com for more information and to purchase. I am based in the UK. Thank you.
AyiloSeller

London, UK

#7454 Mar 21, 2014
Curiosity wrote:
Anyone ordered from soulsista here? What's nicer. The ayilo or the chunks?
Hi Curiosity

Both the chunks and ayilo are nice, however if you haven't tried the ayilo and you would like to give it a try then please visit my website www.ghanabakedclay.bigcartel.com for more information about ayilo and also to place an order. I don't only sell ayilo but I'm also addicted to them. That earthy taste and smell is to die for. I bake them again before packaging to keep it fresh and sterilised. You won't be disappointed!!
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7455 Mar 21, 2014
Sometimes I think when it come to clay being sticky . I think it all depends on how big a piece and how much you put in your mouth. Small pieces dissolve quick while large ones tend to clump up and stick to the gums.
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7458 Mar 21, 2014
Hi guys !

Can we know if we have some men who are dirt/clay/chalk eaters in this forum ? I know its principally a woman thing but i wanna know if we've got some around here.

Mary Tyler

Orange, TX

#7459 Mar 21, 2014
Nightshade wrote:
Hey all, until recently, I couldn't get enough clay or chalk to eat. I had been eating both for about 6 months or more. I craved clay over food. I thought about clay when I was away from home & how I couldn't wait to get home to eat it. Then on the 18th of Feb. I went to the doctor, & she ordered a few tests done because I wasn't feeling well, I was weak, tired, wanted to sleep a lot. One of the tests ordered was a blood test. I came home & went to bed after the appt. Later that day she called me & told me I was severely anemic, my blood count was 5 & 12 is the normal. She also admitted me for a blood transfusion. I was also put on 325 mg iron 2 a day because my iron was so low. I haven't craved clay or anything since. I have even tried to eat the clay & chalk but it's lost its appeal to me. I thought my craving was totally normal I have always loved the smell of dirt, used to eat it as a kid. Have always snuck in a taste here & there from a potato or turnip from the garden. Dirt is what I actually craved & wanted but because of the dangers of eating dirt I tried clay instead. Chalk is something I ate when I was in high school because of the smell then again recently. So I hate to say it but maybe part of that craving does come from a deficiency of some kind. So maybe getting checked out isn't a bad idea. Honestly I never thought there was anything wrong with me other than my hormones.
What type of clay were you eating?

Since: Jun 13

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7460 Mar 22, 2014
I have a lunch sack full of white dirt powder. Anyone know if there is a way I can turn it into crunchy chunks?
facefaceface

Washington, DC

#7461 Mar 23, 2014
So very interesting development. I've been taking DE for two days now (today will be the third) and have noticed that my cravings for chalk have dropped off quite a bit. I still want some, but today I only had four sticks and yesterday, I only had six, compared to my normal 8 - 12 sticks a day. I didn't want any more than that, either.

It could be a coincidence, since I know my appetite for chalk comes and goes (it was very very high until two days ago) but I'm going to keep taking the DE and see what happens.

For the record, I don't eat the DE as I intended to, since I really don't like that hint of earthy flavor that mine has. I've been drinking it mixed into a cup of water, with a splash of juice to cover up the earthy taste.
crazy 4stuff

United States

#7462 Mar 23, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
So very interesting development. I've been taking DE for two days now (today will be the third) and have noticed that my cravings for chalk have dropped off quite a bit. I still want some, but today I only had four sticks and yesterday, I only had six, compared to my normal 8 - 12 sticks a day. I didn't want any more than that, either.
It could be a coincidence, since I know my appetite for chalk comes and goes (it was very very high until two days ago) but I'm going to keep taking the DE and see what happens.
For the record, I don't eat the DE as I intended to, since I really don't like that hint of earthy flavor that mine has. I've been drinking it mixed into a cup of water, with a splash of juice to cover up the earthy taste.
Where did you buy de from?
crazy 4stuff

United States

#7463 Mar 23, 2014
Someone is giving away samples on the fb page why we crave n love clay!
nhlasto89

Zimbabwe

#7465 Mar 25, 2014
guyz i miss eating clay so much itz like im on drugz im even shaking,itz only been a week since i last ate,iii try by all means not to buy anytime soon juss to c wat will happen to me.im tryn to quit..i respect anyone who was able to beat this addiction coz itz not easy at all..wish me luck guyz...
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#7466 Mar 25, 2014
nhlasto89 wrote:
guyz i miss eating clay so much itz like im on drugz im even shaking,itz only been a week since i last ate,iii try by all means not to buy anytime soon juss to c wat will happen to me.im tryn to quit..i respect anyone who was able to beat this addiction coz itz not easy at all..wish me luck guyz...
I understand what you mean, I haven't had any since December. Sometimes I want to cave in but then I'm like no I can't do that. At one point in my life I didn't even crave clay or any of that for a very long time. But I found something that was clay and had that earthy taste and sucked me back in and I've been back at it every since. Starting to think it was pyslogical. Never thought about it, never craved it. We're going to quit this habit eventually.
anjali

Toronto, Canada

#7470 Mar 25, 2014
hi my aunty is going to ship me indian roasted clay which we get in gujarat its too yummy n delicious if some one is interested thn 1kg $50 i live in canada toronto if u r in canada we can meet or else i can ship u at ur address......
Nelly

Maysville, WV

#7471 Mar 26, 2014
This is by far the funniest conversation I ever stepped in on...I don't get it, so I must try a piece of clay....
commenter

Pune, India

#7472 Mar 26, 2014
in gujarat it costs 1$ per k.g
sanela

Munich, Germany

#7473 Mar 26, 2014
crazy gal wrote:
<quoted text>
thnx a lot angela for the info....!!It really goona help me..!I must say u hav great knowlegde of dis kind of stuff....!tnx a lot....!!
Multani mitti iz best...itz taste iz totally earthy..but try to bake it first..u can try to bake it in 2 ways..one iz jst half baked for 10 mints..den it give u mix flavour of both unbaked earthy nd baked ..not so sticky as well..nd nthr iz to bake for 20 mints..den it turned into black red colour..totally different flavour of non sticky nd crispy flavour..not so earthy but sumthing crispy but still yummy...multani mitti iz pure form of clay..only precaution to tk iz jst drink lot of water...it does'nt give u ny sideeffect. Nd u remain healthy....luv to eat 2to 3 chunks of multani mitti..but i drink lots of water as well .
Till date no prob
anjali

Toronto, Canada

#7474 Mar 26, 2014
commenter wrote:
in gujarat it costs 1$ per k.g
I know clay r very cheap in back home bt the main thing which cost us more is shipping from both the side....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Apple prize: Red delicious are anything but, so... 1 hr anon 4
Shakey's Pizza Parlor To Honor Katy Perry On Al... 1 hr Big mike 1
Mormons carry a few more pounds (Feb '06) 9 hr TRUTH 299
Pizza Palace: Knoxville, Tennessee's Pizza Driv... (Jul '10) Fri Vern Schillinger 24
KFC unveils a triple meat Double Down Fri Speakeasy 1
Manny's moves into Sterling; Domino's departs D... (Feb '14) Fri kathykingery 3
8 million Ugandan children live in abject pover... Thu kizito 1

Food People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE