Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9262 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7394 Mar 11, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
Does anyone who eats chalk like to do anything to it before consuming? I like to put mine with a bit of dirt so it can get that earthy taste. What brands do y'all eat?
I used to like to take the sticks out of the box and put it in the pocket of my purse for a couple of hours.
Prang picks up flavor really well and it would take on this really tasty but indescribable flavor.

I stopped doing that after a bit because it led to me eating more chalk than I should. Partially because it was so yummy I couldn't stop, and partially because I would lose track of how many sticks I was eating.
For some reason, when I eat chalk straight from the box, I can better manage how much I eat, so I've gone back to that.
It's still delicious out of the box, so I'm still a happy camper.
lovely clay

UK

#7395 Mar 12, 2014
I am so glad i found this forum
lovely clay

UK

#7398 Mar 12, 2014
Are there any clay suppliers in the Uk?
Livy

Europe

#7404 Mar 12, 2014
I think its a kind of a psychological problem,see a doctor
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7405 Mar 12, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
Does anyone who eats chalk like to do anything to it before consuming? I like to put mine with a bit of dirt so it can get that earthy taste. What brands do y'all eat?
I eat my powdered chalk (french chalk "Craie de champagne", the best one) mixed with gypsum powder and some water. Then i let it dry a whole night and i finish the drying on microwaves for 5 to 10 mn. Crunchy at will.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7406 Mar 12, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't put it with anything, but like to take it out of the box and think it takes better like that. I will try keeping it with some clay powder to see if it tastes different. What type dirt do you put yours with?
I have tried various chalks, but my favourite so far is plain Crayola. I prefer it when the sticks are very hard and crunchy. I would love to try a German chalk that I have read about here and tailor's chalk.
I like hard crunchy sticks as well, especially when they leave a crystally grit at the end. The only problem is when I eat too much or fast, I get a sore throat.
I tried the prang once and it was soft and stuck to my teeth. I hated it. Tailors chalk seems kind of expensive. What is the German chalk?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7407 Mar 12, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I like hard crunchy sticks as well, especially when they leave a crystally grit at the end. The only problem is when I eat too much or fast, I get a sore throat.
I tried the prang once and it was soft and stuck to my teeth. I hated it. Tailors chalk seems kind of expensive. What is the German chalk?
How many sticks do you eat per day usually? I try to stick to no more than four - six, although I sometimes go on a binge and chew a lot more but not swallow.

I looked it up and the brands are Pelikan and Lyra - but I'm not sure where to order them. I also saw where one of them was described as soft and the other being similar so maybe they wouldn't be to my liking after all.

Tailors does seem expensive but I would still like to try it.

Crunchy hard chalk is so good to me. I even like the noise it makes when you shake the box (sounds crazy I know).
sherry

Accra, Ghana

#7408 Mar 12, 2014
I eat clay too n I must agree its really yummy....although I have tried to quit dis habit for a long time now my cravings for it always make me go back to eating more than I even ate before....it worries me alot cus I wanna have lots of baby and am scared my addition is gonna prevent my dreams from becoming a reality.....any advice on to stop how to stop the craving????&#9785;
Tailorschalklove r

George Town, Cayman Islands

#7409 Mar 13, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
How many sticks do you eat per day usually? I try to stick to no more than four - six, although I sometimes go on a binge and chew a lot more but not swallow.
I looked it up and the brands are Pelikan and Lyra - but I'm not sure where to order them. I also saw where one of them was described as soft and the other being similar so maybe they wouldn't be to my liking after all.
Crunchy hard chalk is so good to me. I even like the noise it makes when you shake the box (sounds crazy I know).
I live in jamaica where tailors chalk is $150 jamaican dollars and i just cant live without it i also love clay, i hate the blackboard chalk. Tailors chalk, the hancock brand is made from clay so its perfect for me... If theres anyone who has tried this chalk please let me know you thoughts
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7411 Mar 13, 2014
Tailorschalklover wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in jamaica where tailors chalk is $150 jamaican dollars and i just cant live without it i also love clay, i hate the blackboard chalk. Tailors chalk, the hancock brand is made from clay so its perfect for me... If theres anyone who has tried this chalk please let me know you thoughts
Hi. How would you describe the taste and texture of the Hancock chalk? Regarding the clay, is it dug in Jamaica? If not, what type do you eat?

I am still trying to find some good eating pure clay here...I'm told it exists on parts of the island but haven't found it yet.
Suri Clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7412 Mar 13, 2014
Finally found a brown paper bag...Now to try it with some kaolin...
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7413 Mar 13, 2014
Tailorschalklover wrote:
<quoted text>
I am from Jamaica as well but live in NY. I just started loving clay about three years now. I looked on the net and saw kaolin clay. Last year I went to JA and was driving from mobay to st.Ann and all the way along the roadside was walls of kaolin clay. I wanted to tell my aunt to pull over so I could take a huge chunk but did not want her to know what is was for. The next time I go I am going to get a bag and collect some. Oh I wish I had gotten some.
tailorschalklove r

Kingston, Jamaica

#7414 Mar 13, 2014
Suri Clay wrote:
Finally found a brown paper bag...Now to try it with some kaolin...
the hancock chalk has an earthy taste, its smooth ans creamy and also has a crunch
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7415 Mar 13, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
I am from Jamaica as well but live in NY. I just started loving clay about three years now. I looked on the net and saw kaolin clay. Last year I went to JA and was driving from mobay to st.Ann and all the way along the roadside was walls of kaolin clay. I wanted to tell my aunt to pull over so I could take a huge chunk but did not want her to know what is was for. The next time I go I am going to get a bag and collect some. Oh I wish I had gotten some.
Next time, if anyone asks, tell them it is for facial treatments.:D
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7416 Mar 13, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Next time, if anyone asks, tell them it is for facial treatments.:D
Did not think of that. Will do.
crazy 4stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#7417 Mar 13, 2014
For Who eat chalk...how much do u eat? I always have way too much like 3 or 4 boxes a day although I've never had side effects
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7418 Mar 14, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
When I first started, it was 2 sticks but now it's prob closer to 5 or 6 too. It's hard to tell cuz I have pieces all over the house and I nibble thru the day. I only sometimes eat a whole stick at one time. I don't usually do it when I'm out so if I'm home a lot I tend to eat more.
I love crunchy and hard chalk as well and I know what u mean about the clinking sound. Lol
I too would like to know the taste and texture of tailors chalk.
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7419 Mar 14, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
For Who eat chalk...how much do u eat? I always have way too much like 3 or 4 boxes a day although I've never had side effects
Between 1/2 a box - 1 full box a day. I eat a couple of sticks every few hours, usually after meals. It's nice that I work in an office with very few people, because it means I can eat my chalk with no fear.

I never go over a full box, mainly because I couldn't afford my habit if I ate more than one box a day.
Sometimes, I do want to eat more though LOL.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7421 Mar 14, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Between 1/2 a box - 1 full box a day. I eat a couple of sticks every few hours, usually after meals. It's nice that I work in an office with very few people, because it means I can eat my chalk with no fear.
I never go over a full box, mainly because I couldn't afford my habit if I ate more than one box a day.
Sometimes, I do want to eat more though LOL.
I like it after meals too.

That's one of the good things about chalk versus most clays, you can eat it fairly discreetly. When I'm at home I munch on a full stick, but when in my office or out somewhere what I do is break the stick into small pieces and pop in my mouth one at a time.
Curiosity

Wolverhampton, UK

#7422 Mar 16, 2014
Anyone ordered from soulsista here? What's nicer. The ayilo or the chunks?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gorgeous weather, cheesecake draw large crowd t... 3 min You better than me 3
News What's Happening 7 hr yep 15
News Dolce&Gabbana court youth with offbeat looks in... 9 hr Tea Bag Residue C... 1
News Allentown Fair's new contests and demonstrations 21 hr weapon X 3
News Three generations keep Milton dairy farm succes... Sun farms eh 1
News Shorty's Place changing ownership and management (Jul '14) Sat Big time 10
News America's First Meat-Free Fast-Food Restaurant ... Sep 21 CO MW Support Col... 2
More from around the web