Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 8973 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Clay_Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#7364 Mar 5, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
What is the difference between the way white dirt tastes and terramin tastes?
I also tried baking DE its smooth but not sticky. I prefer drinking it cuz theres a very slight grit in the aftertaste.
Honestly the taste is far better than white dirt. White dirt has no taste. When I tasted the white dirt, I felt like I was eating flour chunks. I didn't enjoy it one bit. It sticks to your tongue, I mean terramin does too but white dirt is far thicker.
crazy 4stuff

Rowland Heights, CA

#7365 Mar 5, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
How frustrating! What kind of chalk do u get and where do u order from?
Frustrating indeed! I ordered sargent brand anti dust from the office depot. Do u eat chalk? If do what kind?
Icychalk

Staten Island, NY

#7366 Mar 6, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
Frustrating indeed! I ordered sargent brand anti dust from the office depot. Do u eat chalk? If do what kind?
I currently buy crayola but I have gotten a couple of boxes that tasted bad, like chemicals, but that hasn't happened recently. Maybe they changed it? I also get stay pro from the dollar store, but it kinda dries out my mouth a lot. I open the boxes and let them air out as soon as I get them. I think they taste better that way. Is the Sargent dry and gritty?
ClayloverTerrami n

West New York, NJ

#7367 Mar 6, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I currently buy crayola but I have gotten a couple of boxes that tasted bad, like chemicals, but that hasn't happened recently. Maybe they changed it? I also get stay pro from the dollar store, but it kinda dries out my mouth a lot. I open the boxes and let them air out as soon as I get them. I think they taste better that way. Is the Sargent dry and gritty?
I tried it once it's more like smooth n creamy flour ... No earthy taste to it nor any taste not my type
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#7368 Mar 6, 2014
ClayloverTerramin wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried it once it's more like smooth n creamy flour ... No earthy taste to it nor any taste not my type
That sounds delicious lol.
Is it soft? I don't like chalk that is too soft or dissolves too fast.
Clay_Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#7369 Mar 6, 2014
Does anybody know if the Ayilo baked clays are made from Bentonite clay or Kaolin?
Icychalk

Staten Island, NY

#7370 Mar 6, 2014
Clay_Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly the taste is far better than white dirt. White dirt has no taste. When I tasted the white dirt, I felt like I was eating flour chunks. I didn't enjoy it one bit. It sticks to your tongue, I mean terramin does too but white dirt is far thicker.
Is terramin the same as bentonite? I tried googling it and the info is confusing. Either way, it all seems to have health benefits.
bubu

Mississauga, Canada

#7371 Mar 6, 2014
I love eating clay!!!! I'm just 16 I got in the habit of eating clay around gr9 during art class because I loved the smell. I use to eat dirt but now I turned to clay. I eat the clay from my art class. what art the side effects of eating clay?
crazy 4stuff

Rowland Heights, CA

#7372 Mar 6, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I love the crayola But only the anti dust but i agree last time i bought some it just didn't taste right. Sargent is very creamy not very gritty, i also open the boxes n like to let then sit with a bit of soil so it can absorb that earthier taste lol
nhlasto89

Zimbabwe

#7373 Mar 7, 2014
bubu wrote:
I love eating clay!!!! I'm just 16 I got in the habit of eating clay around gr9 during art class because I loved the smell. I use to eat dirt but now I turned to clay. I eat the clay from my art class. what art the side effects of eating clay?
i started eating clay when i was 16 and today im 24 and still eating it,im not proud of myself for doing that but i cant help it..though i cant say i have any problems that were caused by clay but the fact that im ths addicted means its not good for u, so i urge u to stop eating it while u still ths young.fight the cravings coz they might get worse with age,as it is in my case..
facefaceface

Washington, DC

#7375 Mar 8, 2014
@crazy4stuff, where do you buy the sargent brand of chalk?
emi

United States

#7376 Mar 8, 2014
Soul Sista wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do sell the chunks on their own. The promo was just to introduce the chunks.
Am in the U.S how do I get some please I want to order
crazy 4stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#7379 Mar 9, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
@crazy4stuff, where do you buy the sargent brand of chalk?
I order it online from staples or office depot
UK CLAY

Towcester, UK

#7382 Mar 9, 2014
Has anyone heard from Soul Sista?
Clay obsessed

Milton Keynes, UK

#7383 Mar 9, 2014
Hi,can anyone tell me where to buy clay in Milton Keynes ?
Soul Sista

London, UK

#7385 Mar 9, 2014
UK CLAY wrote:
Has anyone heard from Soul Sista?
You can send me mail. I'm still around.
Curiosity

Birmingham, UK

#7386 Mar 10, 2014
Soul Sista wrote:
<quoted text>
You can send me mail. I'm still around.
What's your email?
connor

Leyland, UK

#7387 Mar 10, 2014
Here this will help

https://www.graze.com/uk/p/K2GK6XWHU

nice free food
crazy 4stuff

United States

#7388 Mar 11, 2014
Does anyone who eats chalk like to do anything to it before consuming? I like to put mine with a bit of dirt so it can get that earthy taste. What brands do y'all eat?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7389 Mar 11, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
Does anyone who eats chalk like to do anything to it before consuming? I like to put mine with a bit of dirt so it can get that earthy taste. What brands do y'all eat?
I don't put it with anything, but like to take it out of the box and think it takes better like that. I will try keeping it with some clay powder to see if it tastes different. What type dirt do you put yours with?

I have tried various chalks, but my favourite so far is plain Crayola. I prefer it when the sticks are very hard and crunchy. I would love to try a German chalk that I have read about here and tailor's chalk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. Gives $7 Bil in Food Benefits to "Ineligib... 5 min ronnie 15
News Pi, Pie or both? The choice is yours this Pi Day Thu Dan B 17
News Relieve Your Stress (Dec '09) Wed antoniaweldin 9
News Fruits of Islam Wed Old Pom 17
News School Leaders Fire Back Against Claims Of Unhe... (May '10) Wed Superintendant of... 19
News Flash from the Past: Old Cambridge mill made br... (Apr '12) Wed Monsanto poison 2
News Closure of fabled Los Angeles bar Tiki-Ti stuns... Tue Janice 1
More from around the web