Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9230 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7347 Mar 4, 2014
I just finished my last box of chalk and because of the weather, I can't go get more.

*sad faces*
Clay_Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#7348 Mar 4, 2014
How long does it take to recieve Mavu clay in the US? And how does it taste? ClayloverTerramin, does it taste like terramin? I want to buy some from MavuSeller but don't want to be disappointed.
ClayloverTerrami n

Kendall Park, NJ

#7349 Mar 4, 2014
Clay_Lover wrote:
How long does it take to recieve Mavu clay in the US? And how does it taste? ClayloverTerramin, does it taste like terramin? I want to buy some from MavuSeller but don't want to be disappointed.
i haven't tried Mavu seller as they have disclaimer THE CONSUMPTION OF THIS CLAY IS TO THE BUYERS DISCRETION AS IT IS SOLD AS A NOVELTY ITEM.
But readin at all the reviews it does look like awesome taste.

I am tryin to stop eating clay and now buying only FDA ones which says Generally regarded as safe food grade. I eat very very less, whole year i just bought a pound of terramin out of which more than half is still there.
Clay_Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#7350 Mar 4, 2014
ClayloverTerrami n wrote:
<quoted text>
i haven't tried Mavu seller as they have disclaimer THE CONSUMPTION OF THIS CLAY IS TO THE BUYERS DISCRETION AS IT IS SOLD AS A NOVELTY ITEM.
But readin at all the reviews it does look like awesome taste.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1nIMFiyOTBAXX
I am tryin to stop eating clay and now buying only FDA ones which says Generally regarded as safe food grade. I eat very very less, whole year i just bought a pound of terramin out of which more than half is still there.
I haven't eaten clay for a year and I was fine. My cravings came back a few weeks ago and I'm fighting with my temptations. I've never eaten other clays other than Terramin. I've tried White Dirt and I hated it. Ugh. Thinking about it makes me nauseated.
crazy 4stuff

San Diego, CA

#7351 Mar 4, 2014
So disappointed placed a big order for a chalk bundle n instead of receiving a bundle i received only a box now i have to wait two weeks for the corrected order *sad*
ClayloverTerrami n

Kendall Park, NJ

#7352 Mar 4, 2014
Clay_Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't eaten clay for a year and I was fine. My cravings came back a few weeks ago and I'm fighting with my temptations. I've never eaten other clays other than Terramin. I've tried White Dirt and I hated it. Ugh. Thinking about it makes me nauseated.
Good for you i think u shud stick to terramin if it controls ur cravings as many use it for healthy life style.
i never tried white dirt,i ate slatepencils n antidust chalk as a kid very little though my mom always used to keep an eye on me before i was 8/9. so was scared to eat as she knows hw to catch me. After 18 yrs I got cravings seeing my neices using slatepencils and bought terramin last year after researchin on edible clays.
how do u eat ur terramin? i baked it.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7353 Mar 4, 2014
Clay_Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't like the white dirt either. What is the difference between that and the terramin?
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7354 Mar 4, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
So disappointed placed a big order for a chalk bundle n instead of receiving a bundle i received only a box now i have to wait two weeks for the corrected order *sad*
How frustrating! What kind of chalk do u get and where do u order from?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7355 Mar 4, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
I started crunching ice 10 yrs ago during my pregnancy and then craved chalk but the chalk didnt taste right when I tried it. After giving birth, it all went away. This past summer I started chewing ice again and once more tried chalk. This time the chalk was better. I tried target brand and crayola and the dollar store. Target was kind of soft and others had a few that were bitter or tasted funny. I just recently got a few boxes of crayola that I really love. A hard crunch that I crush with my front teeth into a grit. I love the feeling of grit on my tongue, which is what I think I loved about crunching ice. But the grit has to break down or my throat gets sore from swallowing too much. Can't believe I'm writing this!
Hi, do you eat the regular white Crayola? That's what I like, the box that just says 'Chalk'. I have tried the anti dust type and couldn't eat it, although I know that some people love it (I think someone said on here that they've had good and bad Crayola - I guess the anti dust I tried before was the bad tasting type lol).

I love it when it is nice and hard and crunchy, and I too love that slight gritty feeling. I love clay too, just wish more clays had that bit of grit instead of being so smooth.
Curious

Ellenwood, GA

#7356 Mar 4, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, do you eat the regular white Crayola? That's what I like, the box that just says 'Chalk'. I have tried the anti dust type and couldn't eat it, although I know that some people love it (I think someone said on here that they've had good and bad Crayola - I guess the anti dust I tried before was the bad tasting type lol).
I love it when it is nice and hard and crunchy, and I too love that slight gritty feeling. I love clay too, just wish more clays had that bit of grit instead of being so smooth.
When Leslie had the red dirt in stock have you tried it? I think it's too gritty into my liking . I don't like gritty clay dirt . I like it to be smooth . I love Georgia white dirt . I love it maybe because my grandparents used to eat it all the time when I was younger & then forgot all about it & looked it up like 4 years go . Thought about the taste & then bought me a bag .

In the mean time , the search for white dirt , i dug red dirt , deep in the ground & chew & spit it out . It'll taste like fresh rain . It was so good .
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7357 Mar 4, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
When Leslie had the red dirt in stock have you tried it? I think it's too gritty into my liking . I don't like gritty clay dirt . I like it to be smooth . I love Georgia white dirt . I love it maybe because my grandparents used to eat it all the time when I was younger & then forgot all about it & looked it up like 4 years go . Thought about the taste & then bought me a bag .
In the mean time , the search for white dirt , i dug red dirt , deep in the ground & chew & spit it out . It'll taste like fresh rain . It was so good .
I was only able to try a small sample that someone on the forum was kind enough to send me, and loved it. I loved the texture, the taste and the smell was incredible - very earthy.

I can eat normal white dirt, but the best I've had is Wanda's. I love that slight sour taste.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7358 Mar 4, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
My supermarket sells the reg kind. But a couple of times I got a box that tasted awful. And sometimes good. Some people have said they love the anti dust so I'm curious to try. I also buy the 48 pack from the dollar store but some pieces can b bitter and some really good, all from the same box. The dollar store ones really dry out my mouth though.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7359 Mar 4, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I may try the red dirt when she gets it in. If that doesn't work, I'll just stick to my chalk. I just hate that I spent money on 2 bags of white dirt. Throwing it away seems such a waste.
pia

New York, NY

#7360 Mar 4, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I may try the red dirt when she gets it in. If that doesn't work, I'll just stick to my chalk. I just hate that I spent money on 2 bags of white dirt. Throwing it away seems such a waste.
Do not throw it out maybe you can sell it to some one on the forum who likes the smooth kind. I am sure someone will be willing to take it from you
Clay_Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#7361 Mar 5, 2014
ClayloverTerrami n wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you i think u shud stick to terramin if it controls ur cravings as many use it for healthy life style.
i never tried white dirt,i ate slatepencils n antidust chalk as a kid very little though my mom always used to keep an eye on me before i was 8/9. so was scared to eat as she knows hw to catch me. After 18 yrs I got cravings seeing my neices using slatepencils and bought terramin last year after researchin on edible clays.
how do u eat ur terramin? i baked it.
Thanks, but I've succumbed to my cravings and placed an order this morning. LOL! I normally bake mines but sometimes I drink it. Mix 2tps and a full glass of water. I can't wait for my shipment to arrive! Super Duper excited!
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7362 Mar 5, 2014
What is the difference between the way white dirt tastes and terramin tastes?
I also tried baking DE its smooth but not sticky. I prefer drinking it cuz theres a very slight grit in the aftertaste.
Suri Clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7363 Mar 5, 2014
Just bought me a 1 kilo bag of moulded kaolin clay.I just can't seem to quit.I really do want to quit,because I am sure it is not totally healthy.But I find myself watching videos and pictures of clay when I don't have any at home and I start craving that soft,crumbly,earthy kaolin and I just walk myself over to my friend and buy some again.I can't even do one day without now that she is back.Maybe she should think about moving away permanently....LOL..Much love and have a clay day
Clay_Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#7364 Mar 5, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
What is the difference between the way white dirt tastes and terramin tastes?
I also tried baking DE its smooth but not sticky. I prefer drinking it cuz theres a very slight grit in the aftertaste.
Honestly the taste is far better than white dirt. White dirt has no taste. When I tasted the white dirt, I felt like I was eating flour chunks. I didn't enjoy it one bit. It sticks to your tongue, I mean terramin does too but white dirt is far thicker.
crazy 4stuff

South El Monte, CA

#7365 Mar 5, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
How frustrating! What kind of chalk do u get and where do u order from?
Frustrating indeed! I ordered sargent brand anti dust from the office depot. Do u eat chalk? If do what kind?
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7366 Mar 6, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
Frustrating indeed! I ordered sargent brand anti dust from the office depot. Do u eat chalk? If do what kind?
I currently buy crayola but I have gotten a couple of boxes that tasted bad, like chemicals, but that hasn't happened recently. Maybe they changed it? I also get stay pro from the dollar store, but it kinda dries out my mouth a lot. I open the boxes and let them air out as soon as I get them. I think they taste better that way. Is the Sargent dry and gritty?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you like Japanese food? 1 hr cuclas 1
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) 16 hr DrinkPhartz 161
News Mars investigating Skittles said to be intended... 23 hr Spotted Girl 6
News Antonio's to reopen former Italian restaurant i... (Jun '13) Jan 19 RFLivonia 17
News China, Serbia sign MOU on agriculture Jan 18 Slobodan B Medojevic 1
News Nation-Now 40 mins ago 6:50 a.m.Tennessee bill:... Jan 18 TLC 1
News New Italian Restaurant in Beckley (Apr '16) Jan 17 thesaurus 29
More from around the web