Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

dirt lady

Miami, FL

#7121 Jan 19, 2014
Goodole white dirt is the best whitedirt out there .It's always the same never changed. Also try baking it for 30 minutes.The best crunch .
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7122 Jan 19, 2014
In my humble opinion, some of you are being fooled by some "dust sellers". I mean, why buying something you can do yourself for less ? For clay its different, only few lives near grounds/mines with plenty of it. So, these people can help you getting it by selling it to you. But for those who just want the crunchy/earthy/powdery thing, you can do it by yourself for minor dollars/euros/pounds or whatever... You can buy literally tons of calcium carbonate (aka chalk) and sulphate (gypsum/plaster) lumps or powder for ridiculous price since it is one of the cheapest and abundant natural material available on earth. Why the f*ck paying one pound bag for $5 or $6 when you could get 5kg for the same price ? Think about it.
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7123 Jan 19, 2014
I want to add its the same thing for kaolin. You can get it in powder bag/bucket for cheap than buying it in retail. Stop being stupid...
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#7124 Jan 19, 2014
StoneCrusher wrote:
I want to add its the same thing for kaolin. You can get it in powder bag/bucket for cheap than buying it in retail. Stop being stupid...
I don't want to eat plaster of paris.
If I wanted to eat it, I'd be eating it.

I also don't want to mix chalk powder and bother trying to form it.
I just want to eat my chalk that comes ready-made and delicious in its box.
Also one nice thing about eating chalk made for classroom use is that you know it's non-toxic and relatively safe to consume, since makers have to be cognizant of the fact that kids often eat or suck on chalk. Obviously, it's not gonna be like food-grade, but I can eat it with little fear.

Industrial-grade chalk powder doesn't have any of those kinds restrictions, so I'm just gonna stick to my blackboard chalk lol.
dirt lady

Miami, FL

#7125 Jan 19, 2014
Homegrown and mutt and jeff has the worse dirt you you ever want to eat. Never know what you going to get from either one of these suppliers.
dirt lady

Miami, FL

#7126 Jan 19, 2014
When you pay 100 per bag or maybe even 2.00 sometime you my good some good or it maybe the worse dirt ever. So why gamble with the product
inlove with aylio

Toronto, Canada

#7127 Jan 19, 2014
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> Yes her is ayilo is very good to me. Where do you get your ayilo from ?
I get it from a african store down the street here in Toronto
inlove with aylio

Toronto, Canada

#7128 Jan 19, 2014
inlove with aylio wrote:
<quoted text> I get it from a african store down the street here in Toronto
down the street from me*
anjali

Toronto, Canada

#7129 Jan 20, 2014
inlove with aylio wrote:
<quoted text> I get it from a african store down the street here in Toronto
hi whr frm toronto bcz i too in toronto bt cant find any.....can u plz give me name n address!!!
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7130 Jan 20, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Also one nice thing about eating chalk made for classroom use is that you know it's non-toxic and relatively safe to consume, since makers have to be cognizant of the fact that kids often eat or suck on chalk. Obviously, it's not gonna be like food-grade, but I can eat it with little fear.
Industrial-grade chalk powder doesn't have any of those kinds restrictions, so I'm just gonna stick to my blackboard chalk lol.
You can find food grade for gypsum and chalk (tofu has gypsum/calcium sulphate in its composition for example) if you really want. How can you be sure that your blackboard chalk is "food-grade" just because is intended to be used by kids ? You cant... When your chalk is coming straight from the ground, washed and dried, its ok. Food-grade is just a mention to make it more expensive to buy. Gypsum is gypsum and chalk is chalk, period. Just like Kaolin, Bentonite, Montmorillonite and Co. After that, if you dont want to bother to form it in little chunks from the powder, its your problem.
crazy 4stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#7132 Jan 21, 2014
So i got a batch of delicious sargent chalk n let it sit in some dirt in a paperbag n omg its indescribably delicious now yummmmmm lol
crazy 4stuff

Los Angeles, CA

#7133 Jan 21, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree mixing things seem like too much to have to do when all i want is to enjoy what i already know is good, n though chalk board chalk is obviously not food grade at least u have a little reassurance that its safe enough for kids
a bennett

Loveland, OH

#7134 Jan 22, 2014
I've tried a lot of the dirts and honestly, there are only 2 that I really deal with. One is "goodole dirt from Wanda Green and Georgia White Dirt from Leslie Harris. Wanda's has that true sour taste and Leslie's is not a potent with the sour but it sure taste great and neither has the gritty, sandy taste. I'd recommend either one. The ones I don't like are the ones that are "bland" in taste (taste like a Pillbury cooking flour).
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#7136 Jan 23, 2014
Really trying to beat this craving into buying white dirt. Really mad at myself, should've bought the white clay from Mavu. That could've cool down my cravings. I haven't had clay in almost 2 months. Doing good so far. Might buy some next month. But I will be jumping to order some clay if anybody is having a special offer. Lol!
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7137 Jan 23, 2014
For your information, only few brands are making blackboard chalk sticks with real pure 100% chalk. Most is gypsum/plaster moulded sticks. It less expensive to produce. Plus, everyone in here ate gypsum even if you dont know it. Its used as food additive just like chalk is in many many products.
Clay eater

Columbus, OH

#7138 Jan 23, 2014
Curious wrote:
Really trying to beat this craving into buying white dirt. Really mad at myself, should've bought the white clay from Mavu. That could've cool down my cravings. I haven't had clay in almost 2 months. Doing good so far. Might buy some next month. But I will be jumping to order some clay if anybody is having a special offer. Lol!
For some reason MAVUSELLERS white clay was not nearly as good this time!!!!! Now I have not tried any of the tricks to make it earthier. But I didn't have to touch it before!!! I'm not saying downing her product I've found this same issue with other clay sellers as well. And I know they have no control over the earth!!! Lol... I also tried the Kenyan roasted clay... I hated it!!!!! Its very crunchy and crumbly witch I didn't mind but the flavor was way different!!!

Since: Oct 13

New York, NY

#7139 Jan 23, 2014
Clay eater wrote:
<quoted text>
For some reason MAVUSELLERS white clay was not nearly as good this time!!!!! Now I have not tried any of the tricks to make it earthier. But I didn't have to touch it before!!! I'm not saying downing her product I've found this same issue with other clay sellers as well. And I know they have no control over the earth!!! Lol... I also tried the Kenyan roasted clay... I hated it!!!!! Its very crunchy and crumbly witch I didn't mind but the flavor was way different!!!
It was just ok this time. What I didn't like was the MAVU clay. It is so bland and tasteless. I really don't know what to do with it. I haven't baked it or put it in a brown paper bag, but I don't think it will help. There is so much of it---I wish I had gotten the other kinds instead.
taikorschalklove r

Kingston, Jamaica

#7140 Jan 23, 2014
i am a lover of tailors chalk the triangular one im not sure what makes it all i know it tastes like earth.ive been eating it for over twenty years...the hancock brand is the best its made in the uk....if theres anyone familiar with this please let me know via this forum
taikorschalklove r

Kingston, Jamaica

#7141 Jan 23, 2014
inlove with aylio

Toronto, Canada

#7142 Jan 23, 2014
Is it me or does soulsista doesn't really reply to emails , I emailed her like a week ago and still no reply.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) 12 hr RaidersPharts 263
News Longtime State Rep. Karen Clark Won't Seek Re-E... 15 hr cowboy chris 4
News 'Safer avocado' invented to keep people from st... 16 hr andet1987 5
News Hundreds flock to Food City Tamale Festival in ... Sun Maggie 1
News Should food stamps be used to buy soda and cand... (Mar '17) Sat Lisa 7
News A sample menu for Georgia prison inmates on Fri... (Jun '09) Dec 9 BPT 59
News America's Farmers Don't Depend on Illegal Immig... Dec 8 Wildchild 3
More from around the web