Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9251 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Ellen

Europe

#6988 Dec 27, 2013
I cannot do anythng wthout eating a clay or sand....im an addict..
craving red earthly clay

Oxon Hill, MD

#6991 Dec 28, 2013
who="ashley "]I love clay dirt so freakin much that I often tines dig it up and eat clunks of it @ a time. I was thinking there was something wrobg with me ib the beginning bc I hid it from my boyfriend. Now its lijeits a MUST HAVE. I eat red clay 24/7 in fact I'm about to eat some right now
Hello Ashley. Were are you getting your red clay dirt from? I been searching high and low for the red earthly tasting clay but I have no luck finding any. If you know were I can get some from please let me know please. If anyone else is reading that can help me please help. I'm looking for freshly dug clay chunks the kind like I use to eat with my grandma in North Carolina.
craving red earthly clay

Oxon Hill, MD

#6992 Dec 28, 2013
Hello Ashley. Were do you dig your red clay dirt from? Do you have images of it? If you or anyone reading can help me find some red clay dirt that would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking for red clay chunks high and low but can't get my hands on any. If you or anyone reading can help me please help. I'm looking for freshly dug clay chunks the kind of clay I use to eat with my grandmother in North Carolina. The fresh earthly taste just like it smells after it rains the best taste ever. Thank you all in advance for your help and understanding.
thina

Pretoria, South Africa

#6994 Dec 29, 2013
Im hving the same problm im trying to stop but its very hard i also drink folic acid n iron tablets but the craving dsnt go dnt knw wt to do anymo cz o really want to stop
thina

Pretoria, South Africa

#6995 Dec 29, 2013
Just want to know if eating clay cn hurt a bby cz m pregnent n i eat clay everytime i finish eating this hurt me vry bad i wish i cn stop bt its hard ei
Info

Rochester, UK

#6996 Dec 29, 2013
Any reviews on the original Mavu after baking?
Clay eater

Lebanon, OH

#6997 Dec 29, 2013
Info wrote:
Any reviews on the original Mavu after baking?
After baking its hard and crunchy. I didn't find it to have a very earthy flavor. The way I made it good was to bake it and mix it with the Mavu's red clay cakes yummy!]
All things clay

London, UK

#6998 Dec 30, 2013
Ladies, what is your perfect clay?

I have been fortunate to purchase several types of clay during my visit to the UK, some of which I love, but still wonder if I am missing out since there are other clays that I have not tried and I still do not feel that I have had the PERFECT clay.

My perfect clay would have these features: a very rich earthy taste; a strong earthy smell; be hard and crunchy, but not so hard that you feel that you risk breaking your teeth; a little gritty, but not have stones or very hard bits that you have to spit out; be slightly sour, as part of the earthy flavour; preferably be red or similar (for a long time I was drawn to white things, now more drawn to non-white); and finally I would like it to be in natural chunk form (I eat and love moulded clay, but am still not entirely comfortable with it so my dream clay would be unmoulded).

Can anyone suggest a clay fitting the above description. I would say that Leslie's red is closest, but are there any closer? What would be your dream clay?

Thanks!
hannahclaylover

Wakefield, UK

#6999 Dec 31, 2013
All things clay wrote:
I have been fortunate to purchase several types of clay during my visit to the UK, some of which I love, but still wonder if I am missing out since there are other clays that I have not tried and I still do not feel that I have had the PERFECT clay.
My perfect clay would have these features: a very rich earthy taste; a strong earthy smell; be hard and crunchy, but not so hard that you feel that you risk breaking your teeth; a little gritty, but not have stones or very hard bits that you have to spit out; be slightly sour, as part of the earthy flavour; preferably be red or similar (for a long time I was drawn to white things, now more drawn to non-white); and finally I would like it to be in natural chunk form (I eat and love moulded clay, but am still not entirely comfortable with it so my dream clay would be unmoulded).
Can anyone suggest a clay fitting the above description. I would say that Leslie's red is closest, but are there any closer? What would be your dream clay?
Thanks!
My favourite type of clay would be crunchy unmoulded and earthy with a strong taste
Clay eater

Powell, OH

#7000 Dec 31, 2013
All things clay wrote:
My perfect clay would have these features: a very rich earthy taste; a strong earthy smell; be hard and crunchy
, but not so hard that you feel that you risk breaking your teeth; a little gritty, but not have stones or very hard bits that you have to spit out; be slightly sour, as part of the earthy flavour; preferably be red or similar (for a long time I was drawn to white things, now more drawn to non-white); and finally I would like it to be in natural chunk form (I eat and love moulded clay, but am still not entirely comfortable with it so my dream clay would be unmoulded).
Thanks!
To answer your question molded or unmolded doesn't really mater to me. But I guess unmolded hasnt been handled as much and I do like the idea of that!!!! Lol I must say so far the most earthy tasting clay I've had was the Mavedellers white. And I don't normally like the white clays I've tried. Its crunchy with one of the most earthy taste I've found out of the clays I've tried. Lucky for me I'm not as hard core a clay eater as some people. And I'm glad because no amount of water I drink seems to be enough!! And I'm sure you know what I'm talking g about!!!! LOL
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7001 Dec 31, 2013
@all things clay. I nice crunchy , earthy clay yet melts in your mouth would be good. It should also taste like when the rain drops hits the ground so when I taste it it is almost as if it is raining in my mouth. I have not had any for many months now.
Clay eater

Mount Gilead, OH

#7002 Dec 31, 2013
Hey does any one have any thing to share about Mavusellers Kenyan roasted clay? It sound like it would be tasty!
All things clay

London, UK

#7003 Dec 31, 2013
I am currently consuming some of Wanda's clay. It is so, so good if you like a little sour taste like I do. For me it is almost the perfect clay: the only things that would make it better are if it tasted and smelled earthier.
All things clay

London, UK

#7004 Dec 31, 2013
All things clay wrote:
I am currently consuming some of Wanda's clay. It is so, so good if you like a little sour taste like I do. For me it is almost the perfect clay: the only things that would make it better are if it tasted and smelled earthier.
I partially take back what I just said! I didn't notice an earthy smell in eating it, but just sniffed the whole bag and it smells nice and earthy! I find it to be very similar to Soul Sista's chunks, which I also love, except Soul Sista's chunks are generally harder and with a very slight grittiness - delicious!
Curious

Stockbridge, GA

#7005 Dec 31, 2013
All things clay wrote:
She must have a good batch now! The last batch I had it wasn't as earthy or sour. But to me her clay is like the dream clay. If it was more earthier and sour I would love. I love the crunch, I love the way it sticks on my guns because I don't have to eat much if it's sticking on my gums. I can just take the time out and try to remove the clay with my tongue.

Only thing I don't like about white dirt is that it's chalky and it gets all over your hands and lips. It's a huge mess.

When I had tried Leslie red clay (WHICH BY THE WAY IS NOT GOING TO BE IN STOCK UNTIL SUMMER OF 2014) I didn't really like the grit, it was like eating sand. If it was more of a clay texture I think I would've love it more. My opinion, people probably LOVE her red dirt more than anything.

Now I'm debating if I want to but Wanda clay or Mavu white clay ... Hmm
Rink is

Plymouth, MN

#7006 Dec 31, 2013
Rinkie is

Plymouth, MN

#7007 Dec 31, 2013
hariotdus wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cmYLtbtF53cXX
Try sugar on the clay it sweetins the dirty taste
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php...
UK CLAY

Shrewsbury, UK

#7008 Jan 1, 2014
Hi guys so I got my mavu original clay, it doesn't taste very earthy and it's very very smooth with no grit at all. This is something that I'm not used to. Anybody has any ideas of what I can do to make it more earthier
angela

Flushing, NY

#7009 Jan 1, 2014
Hello everyone... I wish you guys a very very happpppy new year.. takke care everyone... keep sharing your experiences. This foru m has been a great help.. I wish you all the best ..

Angela
Clatter

London, UK

#7010 Jan 1, 2014
UK CLAY wrote:
Hi guys so I got my mavu original clay, it doesn't taste very earthy and it's very very smooth with no grit at all. This is something that I'm not used to. Anybody has any ideas of what I can do to make it more earthier
BAKE!!! Quicker if u put it in the microwave

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Over 2,000 pounds of crawfish being delivered t... 1 hr Kelly 67
News No Joke: Unconscious man rode on car's trunk fo... 2 hr 07 Mustang 5
News Amazing Sweet Spot offers a fair take on desser... 15 hr Tumbleweeds 2
News Allentown's Udder Bar offers ice cream, gourmet... 20 hr silly rabbit 11
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) Tue Find phartse 225
News Veganism - doing the right thing (Jul '11) Tue Twigeater 979
News 'Doughnut lady' finds new home (Feb '08) Mon Homer Simpson 5
More from around the web